Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ElNono and i both moved across the country within roughly the last year or so. he moved to CA, i moved out of CA

i'm not supporting a family
    beyond my wife and i, but at the same time, we're currently on one income and paying grad school tuition out of pocket

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah but 2,000 in Canadian dollars is like what 250 in US?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The bottom line is that people have to work with each other. Landlords shouldn't be charging late fees to people in a really tough situation right now. I just find that disgusting.

We rent from a person who owns a bunch of homes in our town. We paid on time because our income is unaffected so far. We're not trying to impact our landlord who also has to pay mortgages and bills of their own. But I would hope she wouldn't screw us if we were in a tough spot.

Why do some people have such a hard time working together?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    follow the money, plenty of price gouging now, will get worse

Ms of evictions, cars, houses repossessed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a choice to start a family in a really expensive city despite being poor and having no path to homeownership.

It's like the 22 year old single mom, with three kids, and three different baby dads that are out of the picture. Yeah, it's really hard to raise three kids on your own working as a waitress but who the forced you to be a little hoe?
    This is all generalization... people sometimes don't want to be in this loop of being in a place where they can't advance their career, or provide something better, and at the same time, they're stuck in it for a period of time due to innumerable reasons (having family and support around, job availability, training, etc).

Plus, we don't live forever, sometimes you have one shot at something, and sometimes you hit and sometimes you miss. Cir stances also change. Sometimes the economy isn't that great, and you have a family to support, so you have to thread lightly when making economic decisions that impact that.

When you're young and single, a lot of times that doesn't matter at all. When you have additional responsibilities, and you have to make decisions in a consensual manner, it's a different level of complexity. I mean, families brake apart for some of these decisions.

And yeah, I also came to the US with a bag on my shoulder, and not much more, but while I made it through and moved up, and I could probably do it again, that's not the place I want to be again, especially with a family now, and I work hard so that doesn't happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ignoring an awful lot of context there

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The bottom line is that people have to work with each other. Landlords shouldn't be charging late fees to people in a really tough situation right now. I just find that disgusting.

We rent from a person who owns a bunch of homes in our town. We paid on time because our income is unaffected so far. We're not trying to impact our landlord who also has to pay mortgages and bills of their own. But I would hope she wouldn't screw us if we were in a tough spot.

We live in a divisive and prideful society where compromise is nearly impossible.

What's the saying? A good compromise leaves both parties upset? People with the mentality of " my landlord, they evil" are stuck there.

With the endless fear mongering of the media, lack of concrete and long-term security from the government and the realization setting in, they feel victimized tho it's no fault of the landlord so they lack the perspective of "oh , this dude is in the same situation as me" let alone the realization the landlord has far more to lose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    US sounds pretty bad scrah.

I haven't met anyone here who isn't paid during this pandemic.
    Yeah I'm losing money here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we could properly answer that we'd all have no problem getting toilet paper and hand sanitizer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It has to do with that dysfunctional part of the American psyche that believes your successes and failures are yours alone. I like individualism, but we fetishize it to a pathological degree and think every person is an island unto themselves who is fully responsible for their successes and failures, i.e. "the bootstrap myth." And this is probably why Liberals and Conservatives will never, ever see eye-to-eye (especially when it comes to taxation and social programs). The former doesn't completely discount individual effort, but also recognizes that the playing field isn't "equal opportunity" for all. If you took two identical people with the same innate traits and abilities, and raised one in a Detroit ghetto and the other in an upper-class household in Grosse Point, the latter case has a huge head start on their path to achieving the "American Dream."

Conservatives think everything can just be willed into existence through hard work and "personal responsibility." Factors like luck, nepotism, cronyism, etc don't exist in their world.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I aint even gonna txt my tenants if they miss one or even 2 payments tbqh

I did text them to check on them and make sure they are ok but thats it

but if this goes over 3 months then they gotta have damn good excuses

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It has to do with that dysfunctional part of the American psyche that believes your successes and failures are yours alone. I like individualism, but we fetishize it to a pathological degree and think every person is an island unto themselves who is fully responsible for their successes and failures, i.e. "the bootstrap myth." And this is probably why Liberals and Conservatives will never, ever see eye-to-eye (especially when it comes to taxation and social programs). The former doesn't completely discount individual effort, but also recognizes that the playing field isn't "equal opportunity" for all. If you took two identical people with the same innate traits and abilities, and raised one in a Detroit ghetto and the other in an upper-class household in Grosse Point, the latter case has a huge head start on their path to achieving the "American Dream."

Conservatives think everything can just be willed into existence through hard work and "personal responsibility." Factors like luck, nepotism, cronyism, etc don't exist in their world.

I've worked with s who think their "success" is purely because of their "Smarts" and "skills" while being completely incompetent. , people don't even hire/promote based off merits. You see Indians only hiring Indians in whatever Indian field etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I aint even gonna txt my tenants if they miss one or even 2 payments tbqh

I did text them to check on them and make sure they are ok but thats it

but if this goes over 3 months then they gotta have damn good excuses
    compassionate af hate

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the endless fear mongering of the media, lack of concrete and long-term security from the government and the realization setting in, they feel victimized tho it's no fault of the landlord so they lack the perspective of "oh , this dude is in the same situation as me" let alone the realization the landlord has far more to lose.
    How so? I'm not saying landlords can't be victims, but they do at least own a property they can sell for a solid chunk if hits the fan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In terms of finding affordable housing it’s also a lot more difficult now. The first apartment I rented after I graduated from school was $800 a month...the same apartment is going for over $1,200 now. Apartment rent rates have grown at a much higher rate than inflation over the last 10 years.
    yeah, especially in Austin. When I was in Philly for college, my studio apartment right off campus was $700 a month, and I was annoyed because that was a good apartment in Austin. By the time I graduated, $700 was a studio in a bad part of town. In just three or four years, the rent doubled. Income didn't double. You go from being able to support yourself working 30 hours a week while going to school to working full time, going to night classes and having no savings (though tuition plays a part there too). It's not that you decided you needed a new iPhone every month. It's that rich ers who have nothing to do with you decided Austin was a great place to live and started moving in and driving up property values.

Obviously the reasons way more complicated than it just being ty landlords. A lot of them felt the property-value pinch even more than renters. Renters shouldn't act en led to live where they want and not pay for it. But the desperation to paint millennials struggles as being their own faults ridiculous. I wish millennials wouldn't feed into it with movements like this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Don't disagree with this at all. No one does it alone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its the norm bruh. 40% of Americans don't have $400 in savings in case of an emergency. You probably have neighbors who go to work every single day and only have $50 in savings in the bank. Living paycheck to paycheck is the norm and its not just the westside hoodrats who are in this predicament.
    No I know, it's also the east and south side hoodrats too. They have their iphones and fresh Jordans though.

If you took two identical people with the same innate traits and abilities, and raised one in a Detroit ghetto and the other in an upper-class household in Grosse Point, the latter case has a huge head start on their path to achieving the "American Dream."
    The American Dream is relative though. You don't have to get a fancy degree or climb the corporate ladder to achieve it. I'd argue my dad achieved it considering where he started and it was all through hard, manual labor.

Outside of the really expensive markets, becoming a homeowner is really not that hard. Just takes a little bit of work.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah..Not very foreign in canada either.

60k family income

Mortage of 2k a month with 3 cars totalling 600 dollars a month payments. With Other bills and stuff....They're always borrowing from credit card and that CC debt just going up and up with interest.
    I don't remember him ever missing work.
    Good thing there weren't any global pandemics then, it would have been tough to do construction work from home, as will be the case for anyone following your dad's footsteps right now...

I know lots of people who are struggling to pay rent right now (not the US), most of them aren't young people living beyond their means, they are business owners with families who are on the hook for tuition despite their children not being in class, salaries despite workers not being able to work, and having to pay rent on properties with their businesses shut down, with no end in sight

It's so annoying when people use their success story to dismiss other people's problems. Also, landlords can go themselves, and I say that as someone who owns multiple properties. Land ownership is the cornerstone of all economic injustice

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump is asking for rent deferral from Palm Beach County.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump is asking for rent deferral from Palm Beach County.
    Meanwhile I'm betting Jared isn't being so nice to his tenants

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What good are apts/homes unleased? How much the landlords gonna get then? They talking 10%,20% even as much as 30% unemployment. You know that equity you thought you had in your house....gone....landlords as well as everyone else is gonna have to get used to the new American economic reality. For right now, it's just service industry workers, but soon, when they can't pay their insurance, or rent, or taxes,... it will be everyone else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can all go down this dark abyss together, or, finance companies, banks, and leasing companies can bite the big one and give everyone 3 months no rent. Pretty simple choice from where I'm looking.
    Last edited by Nbadan; 04-02-2020 at 11:06 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good thing there weren't any global pandemics then, it would have been tough to do construction work from home, as will be the case for anyone following your dad's footsteps right now...
    He would've been fine. It would've had to have been a perfect storm to really knock him off his feet. Right timing (when he first brought us over and his reserves were depleted), denied unemployment, denied employment elsewhere, etc. Either way, it would've only delayed what he accomplished not stopped it.

How many of these "I'm not paying today and I'm not making it up either" losers can you honestly say were on a good path before the pandemic?

I know lots of people who are struggling to pay rent right now (not the US), most of them aren't young people living beyond their means, they are business owners with families who are on the hook for tuition despite their children not being in class, salaries despite workers not being able to work, and having to pay rent on properties with their businesses shut down, with no end in sight
    Not the people I'm referring to. There will obviously be productive members of society that are legitimately affected by this. The people you described would fall in that category, imo.

It's so annoying when people use their success story to dismiss other people's problems. Also, landlords can go themselves, and I say that as someone who owns multiple properties. Land ownership is the cornerstone of all economic injustice
    It's also annoying when we act like every person at the bottom of the totem pole is a victim that just fell on hard times through no fault of their own.

Landlords don't create the demand for housing. They just provide the supply. If everyone just carried their own weight, there'd be a lot less opportunities for landlords.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can all go down this dark abyss together, or, finance companies, banks, and leasing companies can bite the big one and give everyone 3 months no rent. Pretty simple choice from where I'm looking.
    Lol there's no way anyone's giving away 3 months rent. Especially the insured banks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He would've been fine. It would've had to have been a perfect storm to really knock him off his feet. Right timing (when he first brought us over and his reserves were depleted), denied unemployment, denied employment elsewhere, etc. Either way, it would've only delayed what he accomplished not stopped it.

How many of these "I'm not paying today and I'm not making it up either" losers can you honestly say were on a good path before the pandemic?

Not the people I'm referring to. There will obviously be productive members of society that are legitimately affected by this. The people you described would fall in that category, imo.

It's also annoying when we act like every person at the bottom of the totem pole is a victim that just fell on hard times through no fault of their own.

Landlords don't create the demand for housing. They just provide the supply. If everyone just carried their own weight, there'd be a lot less opportunities for landlords.
    Oh cool. Anecdotes.

Thread Information