Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree it’s actually not bad to watch tbh

But yeah the revisionist history is ridiculous, not a lot of things have actually changed overtime (softness, teaming up, etc)

Are you tin me? All kinds of thangs have changed.

4 on 1 fast breaks and a 3pt shot is taken
    No defense, players roll to the rim uncontested
    No player movement on offense, s just standing around waiting for a 3 ball
    Players taking shots that would have got you benched in the REAL NBA
    6'-8" 160 lb SGs
    6'-8' 160 lb PGs
    6'-8" 160 lb PFs
    6'-8" 160 lb SFs
    Real Centers - Embid, Rudy Gobert and maybe Jokic

All kinds of has changed.

Todays NBA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

6'-8" 160 lb SGs
    6'-8' 160 lb PGs
    6'-8" 160 lb PFs
    6'-8" 160 lb SFs

Todays NBA
    There was no defense to the rim back then either, in fact the defense was terrible back then
    KJ, Jordan and other slasher also scored uncontested baskets in the paint
    People see those highlights of them posterizing big men and assume it was always like that while in fact it wasn’t

Mark Eaton was tall, Perdue was tall, did rhat make them great centers?
    Det logic

Another case of someone who didn’t watch the games but only relies on highlight videos

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Did you ever actually watch teams like Det in the late 80's and NYN/MIA in the 90's?

Come on, man!

There was no defense to the rim back then either, in fact the defense was terrible back then
    KJ, Jordan and other slasher also scored uncontested baskets in the paint
    People see those highlights of them posterizing big men and assume it was always like that while in fact it wasn’t

Mark Eaton was tall, Perdue was tall, did rhat make them great centers?
    Det logic

Another case of someone who didn’t watch the games but only relies on highlight videos

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    But wait, it's so 'skilled' and we are all supposed to be in awe of this.

Today's NBA is much like today's hip-hop. Everything looks and sounds the same. It's all auto-tune and 3 point shots

6'-8" 160 lb SGs
    6'-8' 160 lb PGs
    6'-8" 160 lb PFs
    6'-8" 160 lb SFs

Todays NBA

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count

why not, if you have 3 other guys to get a rebound, with a good shooter taking the shot. simply sounds like a low-risk, high-reward situation.
    yes people get to the rim uncontestedly much more often though, because spacing is far superior. watch games in the 80s and 90s, unless its FCP no one picks up their defender until they're at about the free throw line. now you have to pick up every player at the 3, and some players 4-5 feet beyond the 3. thats why its such a heavily used and deadly skillset, because it results in uncontested layups and dunks. i'm pretty sure just allowing everyone to have free reign to shoot open 3s would be a far worse result defensively.

literally the exact same thing has always existed, just in the past it was more a matter of dumping into the post, as opposed to guards and wings getting penetration. and championship teams have great movement. you are acting as if the way bottom feeder teams are how the entire modern NBA plays, and that the celtics/lakers of the 80s were how bottom feeders played back in the day. absolutely not.

players that could hit them back in the day were not benched. they were transcendent.

6'-8" 160 lb SGs
    6'-8' 160 lb PGs
    6'-8" 160 lb PFs
    6'-8" 160 lb SFs
    lol you might want to do your research, players today are on average around 10 lbs heavier than they were in the 80s and 90s. with modern advances in medicine and training, its absolutely obvious that modern players have more size and muscle while being equally if not more lean.

guards of the 80s and 90s having elite all-nba first teamers like mark price

without michael jordan, guards of those eras were a joke compared to todays guards. why? because strategy is simply different. the league is constantly having to adapt to beat whatever playing style is dominating during its respective era. its already clear that bigs are slowly becoming the trend again, so i'm certain within a few years its going to be a big mans league again, and teams will have to adapt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why not, if you have 3 other guys to get a rebound, with a good shooter taking the shot. simply sounds like a low-risk, high-reward situation.

yes people get to the rim uncontestedly much more often though, because spacing is far superior. watch games in the 80s and 90s, unless its FCP no one picks up their defender until they're at about the free throw line. now you have to pick up every player at the 3, and some players 4-5 feet beyond the 3. thats why its such a heavily used and deadly skillset, because it results in uncontested layups and dunks. i'm pretty sure just allowing everyone to have free reign to shoot open 3s would be a far worse result defensively.

literally the exact same thing has always existed, just in the past it was more a matter of dumping into the post, as opposed to guards and wings getting penetration. and championship teams have great movement. you are acting as if the way bottom feeder teams are how the entire modern NBA plays, and that the celtics/lakers of the 80s were how bottom feeders played back in the day. absolutely not.

players that could hit them back in the day were not benched. they were transcendent.

lol you might want to do your research, players today are on average around 10 lbs heavier than they were in the 80s and 90s. with modern advances in medicine and training, its absolutely obvious that modern players have more size and muscle while being equally if not more lean.

guards of the 80s and 90s having elite all-nba first teamers like mark price

without michael jordan, guards of those eras were a joke compared to todays guards. why? because strategy is simply different. the league is constantly having to adapt to beat whatever playing style is dominating during its respective era. its already clear that bigs are slowly becoming the trend again, so i'm certain within a few years its going to be a big mans league again, and teams will have to adapt.

I disagree with everything you replied. Sorry man.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    I disagree with everything you replied. Sorry man.
    its an absolute fact that modern players weigh more these days than in the past.

its an absolute fact that guys who took ballsy, transition 3s and hit them consistently were lauded as opposed to benched (see bird, stockton, reggie)

its an absolute fact that its easier to get open layups and dunks when you have more space to work with.

its an absolute fact that there will be more space in the paint, if defenders are guarding their man farther away from the paint.

but feel free to disagree all you want. then again, you think utsa is great, so

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its an absolute fact that modern players weigh more these days than in the past.

its an absolute fact that guys who took ballsy, transition 3s and hit them consistently were lauded as opposed to benched (see bird, stockton, reggie)

its an absolute fact that its easier to get open layups and dunks when you have more space to work with.

its an absolute fact that there will be more space in the paint, if defenders are guarding their man farther away from the paint.

but feel free to disagree all you want. then again, you think utsa is great, so

Still disagree completely. The players now are so one dimensional. Shoot the 3 and drive to the hole. Thats it. Nothing else required.

Also, I do think UTSA is great. So..........

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Still disagree completely. The players now are so one dimensional. Shoot the 3 and drive to the hole. Thats it. Nothing else required.

Also, I do think UTSA is great. So..........
    ok so basically you have nothing to back up your massively exaggerated, or completely incorrect claims. its simply a matter of your personal opinion (which i have no issue with whatsoever). got it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've backed my argument up with straight facts as well. Just watch an NBA game of Today.

7'3" centers jackin 3pt shots. 6'8" PGs. What the is tha world comin to.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Neo. and Lefty vs 80's and 90's nba fans is the modern day version of Riggs and Murtaugh vs South African thugs

Seriously, logical insightful arguments that everyone can check by watching old and modern games vs muh physicality, muh toughness

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I've backed my argument up with straight facts as well. Just watch an NBA game of Today.

More skill?

Also Rick Carlisle told why Porzingis doesn't post up. Because illegal defense was banned.

6'8" PGs? Penny, Magic?

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count

lol bill laimbeer

lol magic johnson

guess that means the blame falls on old nba since they set the trend tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4 on 1 fast break three point chuck....
    Because the easy assist results in the sure 2 points.

Your way even with a rebound of the missed shot, next 50-50 chance of making it. (Assuming defenders get back by the time of the miss.)

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count

Your way even with a rebound of the missed shot, next 50-50 chance of making it. (Assuming defenders get back by the time of the miss.)
    first off, 4-on-1 chucks don't happen nearly as often as lebomb and people want to suggest it does. most times, teams take the layup.

that said, if you have a guy like klay or steph taking the shot, i would absolutely be fine with a 4-on-1 transition three. if its andre roberson, then thats stupid. but lets not now revise history further and act like only modern players take dumb shots, and every shot in the 80s and 90s were high IQ shots. there were a lot of bad shots, and it's actually comical to see how many wide open off-balance midrange jumpers in transition were clanked each game, especially in the 80s.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Depends on what point in the game as well. If it's the 1st half of a reg season game and it's Steph, then go right ahead because that open 3 is like a layup for him if there is no pressure applied.

If it's the final minute of a close game, then you always take the sure points. Steph understands that but many of today's chuckers do not.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Bigs used to get fined for shooting 3's...

first off, 4-on-1 chucks don't happen nearly as often as lebomb and people want to suggest it does. most times, teams take the layup.

that said, if you have a guy like klay or steph taking the shot, i would absolutely be fine with a 4-on-1 transition three. if its andre roberson, then thats stupid. but lets not now revise history further and act like only modern players take dumb shots, and every shot in the 80s and 90s were high IQ shots. there were a lot of bad shots, and it's actually comical to see how many wide open off-balance midrange jumpers in transition were clanked each game, especially in the 80s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you ever actually watch teams like Det in the late 80's and NYN/MIA in the 90's?

Come on, man!
    Clearly you didn’t

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t remember Perkins or Divac being fined for shooting 3s

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I don’t remember Perkins or Divac being fined for shooting 3s
    Are you saying bigs were not fined for shooting 3's? Do I have to do the googling for you?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Clearly you didn’t
    Clearly your bias is shining brightly right about now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clearly your bias is shining brightly right about now.
    Nah I'm just spitting facts son

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    so because they were fined in the past, that means it was the right thing to do? because they were fined, that means that shootings 3s are bad?

i honestly find it astonishing how you continue to make ridiculous claims, and never have a shred of worthwhile evidence to back yourself up.

"durhuhuhrrhhrhrh bigs were fined for shooting 3s back in the day so that is PROOF that its a bad strategy that no one should use!!!!!"

most illogical.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    So you are acknowledging that this happened. Thanks

so because they were fined in the past, that means it was the right thing to do? because they were fined, that means that shootings 3s are bad?

i honestly find it astonishing how you continue to make ridiculous claims, and never have a shred of worthwhile evidence to back yourself up.

"durhuhuhrrhhrhrh bigs were fined for shooting 3s back in the day so that is PROOF that its a bad strategy that no one should use!!!!!"

most illogical.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    So you are acknowledging that this happened. Thanks
    never said it didnt.

so whats the point you're trying to make?

Thread Information