Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This pick is a head scratcher for sure. Not because of the player he is or could be, but because we have three young players at his position already. Only thing I can think of is that they are trading one of White, Walker, or Vassell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this a signal they expect Samanic to make a leap? Is this a sign the Spurs are going hard at John Collins? Where are the Spurs looking to get front court depth?
    Its a signal they are going for the first pick in the draft in 2022.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Tony parker 2.0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yea LFG. He’s only 18 so I’m gonna give him the benefit of the doubt.

Lowest PER of NBA Draft prospects (top 75 from @tankathon):
    Romeo Weems 8.6
    Ziaire Williams 11.1
    Joshua Primo 13.2
    BJ Boston 13.2

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this a signal they expect Samanic to make a leap? Is this a sign the Spurs are going hard at John Collins? Where are the Spurs looking to get front court depth?
    "Front court? We will play super small ball with DeMar at the 4, but without 3-point shooting. We will just outsmarten our opponents and eat dinner together to talk about the moon and the stars"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had Primo 25 on my Big Board so I liked him more than the vast majority of people ............ but man. History tells us this pick will probably pay off but it's a tough decision to swallow.
    I guess ultimately if he’s a real player all is forgiven but that doesn’t change the over arching issues that this highlights. They have no vision and refuse to engage in asset management.

They are so wasteful and miss literally every opportunity to give themselves any extra capital. Small markets need to maximize asset management and they are the worst in the league at it nearly.

Look at what GS does even when winning and their creativity. Look at OKC. , even look at what HOU just did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's important to separate two vital issues here.

1. Is this a good player?

2. Was this a good pick?

Let's not slag off on Primo. He really looks like a good prospect and there were a lot of people liking him later in the round. Fact is, there are tons of guards in this year's class and it was hard to differentiate them. He has defensive potential, offensive skills, seems like a great kid, and is extreeeeemely young. I believe the youngest in this class.

Now, the question is whether the team could have pulled more value out of the spot, and that's where we're all rightfully peeved.

But let's not slam this kid for the pick. The Spurs believe in their picks. They do not make trades, generally, the squeeze value, because they are conservative and know what they want. That's irritating, but it is what it is. Consistently they've been drafting well for several years now. But now's for next steps.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's very young and can already shoot well. I think there's potential there that went a little overlooked. Here got good size and might even grow a little more since he's so young. I like him and his potential. I suspect in the future Spurs may be getting ready to move on from some guards. Otherwise this will be them in 2023:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess ultimately if he’s a real player all is forgiven but that doesn’t change the over arching issues that this highlights. They have no vision and refuse to engage in asset management.

They are so wasteful and miss literally every opportunity to give themselves any extra capital. Small markets need to maximize asset management and they are the worst in the league at it nearly.

Look at what GS does even when winning and their creativity. Look at OKC. , even look at what HOU just did.
    you think youd be used to it by now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From BamaInsider Mock Draft

Prior to Thursday’s NBA, BamaInsider compiled five major mock drafts — ESPN, FOX Sports, Sports Illustrated, The Athletic and The Ringer — to get a better feel at where Alabama’s draft hopefuls will land.

Joshua Primo

ESPN — No. 28, Philadelphia 76ers

FOX Sports — No. 29, Phoenix Suns

Sports Illustrated — No. 24, Houston Rockets

The Athletic — No. 26, Denver Nuggets

The Ringer — No. 28, Philadelphia 76ers

ESPN basketball analyst Jay Bilas: “I think the more I watched him, the more I really liked him. I’d be surprised if he’s not a first-round selection. Really a talented player, one of those kind of do-it-all guys that can — he has better size than I thought, and he’s versatile on both ends of the floor. Came off the bench, but great effort and can handle it.

“I was very impressed with the way he played at the combine. He’s a good catch-and-shoot guy. I liked him a lot, and with the way he defended, as well, and he showed he could handle it, which I honestly wasn’t sure that he projected necessarily as an initiating or handling guard. He’s got a lot of ability. I was really impressed with him, and just — he can be a sniper shooting the ball.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pick shows to me they still believe in Luka S. Still seems like we should have traded down for this kid tho.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    yea LFG. He’s only 18 so I’m gonna give him the benefit of the doubt.

Lowest PER of NBA Draft prospects (top 75 from @tankathon):
    Romeo Weems 8.6
    Ziaire Williams 11.1
    Joshua Primo 13.2
    BJ Boston 13.2
    3rd worst PER of everyone in the draft but PATFO proceeds to use the 12th pick on him because of his high character. Spurs will still have him spend the next two years in Austin because he still has to get over himself(even though he was drafted for his high character)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's the problem I have with the pick.

The Spurs may have correctly identified the best player available at #12.

But, if so, no one else knew that.

Therefore, their unique insight should be rewarded, leveraged if you will, by additional moves.

Trade down, get your man and extract some benefit from your superior knowledge and talent evaluation.

Or take another player at #12 and then get your guy later.

Either way, you extract value from your clearly superior talent evaluation ability.

They didn't do that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This pick is a head scratcher for sure. Not because of the player he is or could be, but because we have three young players at his position already. Only thing I can think of is that they are trading one of White, Walker, or Vassell.
    Agree. Plus if this was the pick, why not just take the 2 Knicks picks and draft him later? Knicks were keen on getting ahead of teams to draft Duarte, which went at 13.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Houston just gave OKC two first round picks for #16. Wtf is up with that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whether Primo will one day be a contributor is irrelevant. The bottom line is that our GM took a guy at 12 that nobody else would have taken in the next 10-12 picks when a more experienced GM would have either drafted a player than can contribute now, or, if their mind was set on Primo, simply traded down to get him later.

It’s embarrassing how ineffective Brian Wright has been as GM of the Spurs

He screwed up the Morris signing and allowed Bertans to walk

He got zero return for Aldridge

He had 4 UFA contracts to dangle (DeRozan, Mills, Gay, Lyles) and got nothing for any of them

He’s missed the playoffs 2 straight years

In any other field, he’d be swiftly terminated and relieved of his duties

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if that is true that is reason like 3 that the pick made no sense…it made no sense first and foremost because there was absolutely zero reason to pick him at 12.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's the problem I have with the pick.

The Spurs may have correctly identified the best player available at #12.

But, if so, no one else knew that.

Therefore, their unique insight should be rewarded, leveraged if you will, by additional moves.

Trade down, get your man and extract some benefit from your superior knowledge and talent evaluation.

Or take another player at #12 and then get your guy later.

Either way, you extract value from your clearly superior talent evaluation ability.

They didn't do that.

They never do. Its typical spurs. Im pissed and dont know why

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone with a brain knows you trade down ,and pick up an xtra pick but not brian wrong, no

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's important to separate two vital issues here.

1. Is this a good player?

2. Was this a good pick?

Let's not slag off on Primo. He really looks like a good prospect and there were a lot of people liking him later in the round. Fact is, there are tons of guards in this year's class and it was hard to differentiate them. He has defensive potential, offensive skills, seems like a great kid, and is extreeeeemely young. I believe the youngest in this class.

Now, the question is whether the team could have pulled more value out of the spot, and that's where we're all rightfully peeved.

But let's not slam this kid for the pick. The Spurs believe in their picks. They do not make trades, generally, the squeeze value, because they are conservative and know what they want. That's irritating, but it is what it is. Consistently they've been drafting well for several years now. But now's for next steps.
    He looks like a good prospect based on what? Does he look like a prospect worth taking at 12, much less in the first round? If so, could you cite to a single post before 7pm today where you said as much or agreed with someone saying as much?

I get that you agree with this being a reach, so I won't fault you for that. But we've come to a point where the inep ude of this FO is fully on display. Their refusal to do a ing trade is beyond incomprehensible. And so that refusal makes this pick an F. There is no getting around that. This FO does not know what it is doing. Anyone trying to justify this pick in even the most tangential way is trying to give credibility to a management team that deserves nothing of the sort.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Houston just gave OKC two first round picks for #16. Wtf is up with that?
    They loved the guy and the picks are pretty heavily protected…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He looks like a good prospect based on what? Does he look like a prospect worth taking at 12, much less in the first round? If so, could you cite to a single post before 7pm today where you said as much or agreed with someone saying as much?

I get that you agree with this being a reach, so I won't fault you for that. But we've come to a point where the inep ude of this FO is fully on display. Their refusal to do a ing trade is beyond incomprehensible. And so that refusal makes this pick an F. There is no getting around that. This FO does not know what it is doing. Anyone trying to justify this pick in even the most tangential way is trying to give credibility to a management team that deserves nothing of the sort.

A fukcing men

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So...a completely wasted season right?

Thread Information