Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he's a good player, I wouldn't give a , tbh.
    The truth is he isnt.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The truth is he isnt.
    Thank you Nassir Little sucks.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs make a safe pick: ST - They should have taken a flyer on a player with upside!

Spurs take a flyer on a player with upside: ST - Look at what this player who is 23 and already at his ceiling is doing!
    "Player with upside" = dude who, if he's lucky, might a roleplayer in the NBA when he reaches 23 and could've easily been obtained in the second round or the second of the first round picks.

Luka loonies: actually, he'll be Kevin Durant (for some unexplainable reason) or he'll be Pascal Siakim because Pascal also sucked at one point.

I can't decide which group of people on this site are dumber, the Luka loonies or the Bryn truthers (he spreads the floor!)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Player with upside" = dude who, if he's lucky, might a roleplayer in the NBA when he reaches 23 and could've easily been obtained in the second round or the second of the first round picks.

Luka loonies: actually, he'll be Kevin Durant (for some unexplainable reason) or he'll be Pascal Siakim because Pascal also sucked at one point.

I can't decide which group of people on this site are dumber, the Luka loonies or the Bryn truthers (he spreads the floor!)

This dude apparently sees the future and is some basketball guru who knows exactly how players will turn out in four years. This guy must get paid a lot for his basketball wisdom. Definitely listen to this basketball god for valuable information.

...what a ing moron

You know as the saying goes,

You usually find out that the smarter people in life are those who admit they dont know....than people who say they know everything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm not sure what Luka can or will be. He would NOT have been obtainable either at 29 or in the second round. There were a number of teams from 21-30 who had been working him out, and some of them have coaching staffs or FOs led by Pop proteges. Those teams tend to value the same types of players, and in many cases the same exact players that the Spurs do. Samanic has a terrific offensive toolbox, and a rare one for a 6'11" player. He's pretty bouncy, too, with that 38" vertical, a number that most guards and wings would envy. He needs two things: more (actually any) interest in defense, and a better motor/at ude. He's been wrecking it since Metu and Keldon have been called up to the big club.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This dude apparently sees the future and is some basketball guru who knows exactly how players will turn out in four years. This guy must get paid a lot for his basketball wisdom. Definitely listen to this basketball god for valuable information.

...what a ing moron

You know as the saying goes,

You usually find out that the smarter people in life are those who admit they dont know....than people who say they know everything.
    I don't need to see the future, loonie. The facts are pretty clear. The Spurs, a win-now team with no power forward, chose a second round project (to put it nicely) with the 19th pick in the first round. Incredible incompetence. But I don't expect loonies to understand logic. So keep on believing little guy!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The truth is he isnt.
    I never was high on him. Thybulle tho..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't need to see the future, loonie. The facts are pretty clear. The Spurs, a win-now team with no power forward, chose a second round project (to put it nicely) with the 19th pick in the first round. Incredible incompetence. But I don't expect loonies to understand logic. So keep on believing little guy!
    Yeah, for me, the issue isn't Clarke specifically. It just makes no sense to draft a project with your first pick when you are eager to make the playoffs. Try and grab a contributor, ffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Says "i dont need to see the future" proceeds to say what Samanic's future looks like

Says "facts are pretty clear" proceeds to say false narrative about how he would have been a second round pick where there were reports of him being taken between 21-30

Says he understands logic, but proceeds to make no sense of his own.

Biggest dumbass of spurstalk everybody!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't wait to see DJ, White, Walker IV, Samanic, and Metu on the same floor together at one point. LA and Derozan need to leave after this year. Make it happen PATFO!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka shows his toolset when the ball is in his hands. That’s why he was drafted. Unfortunately, he seems to drift when he doesn’t have the ball, and seems completely uninterested in defense. That could be why Keldon is with the big club, and he isn’t. If he fails, it won’t be lack of talent, it will be at ude and lack of motor.
    We have all seen players with God-given talent who excell in some lower league or school and they haven't had to learn or practice some aspects of the game. When they move up to a higher league they still rest on their previous laurels and don't give the effort necessary to advance against players of equal or lesser physical talents. In the NBA at ude and work ethic is often the difference between a player that succeeds and those who fail

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have all seen players with God-given talent who excell in some lower league or school and they haven't had to learn or practice some aspects of the game. When they move up to a higher league they still rest on their previous laurels and don't give the effort necessary to advance against players of equal or lesser physical talents. In the NBA at ude and work ethic is often the difference between a player that succeeds and those who fail
    He's killing it right now with Keldon and Metu with the big club, but to be a full time NBA rotation player, you have to be able to play both without the ball and solid defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't wait to see DJ, White, Walker IV, Samanic, and Metu on the same floor together at one point. LA and Derozan need to leave after this year. Make it happen PATFO!
    Metu kinda sucks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ok

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's killing it right now with Keldon and Metu with the big club, but to be a full time NBA rotation player, you have to be able to play both without the ball and solid defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Metu kinda sucks.
    He's got the tools to make that lineup fun to watch though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs make a safe pick: ST - They should have taken a flyer on a player with upside!

Spurs take a flyer on a player with upside: ST - Look at what this player who is 23 and already at his ceiling is doing!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not on the Spurs. The coach just has to like you

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Got to admit I laughed when I saw this lol.
    Nice one sir.

Spurs love forever RobinsontoDuncan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, I have spent a lot of time watching game film of the Austin Spurs and Luka’s Summer League games and I have a different take on his “motor” issues. I think some of it at the beginning was likely due to conditioning, but the vast majority of Luka’s problem here appears to have nothing to do with his at ude and everything to do with not knowing where to be on the floor when he’s helping on defense. Luka is a good to above average on ball defender and can be pretty aggressive in going for blocks and steals when he is able to read the play, but he often times doesn’t know how to anticipate defensive rotations or intuit where to be on the floor when opponents run screen and rolls or drive and kick from the perimeter.

That said, I think he’s improved a lot in this area over the course of the season, and he seems to have a better overall feel for the defensive end of the floor over the past few weeks.

All of this makes sense to me since Luka is coming from Europe where they play a very different style of basketball and he learned to play a very different style of defense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, I have spent a lot of time watching game film of the Austin Spurs and Luka’s Summer League games and I have a different take on his “motor” issues. I think some of it at the beginning was likely due to conditioning, but the vast majority of Luka’s problem here appears to have nothing to do with his at ude and everything to do with not knowing where to be on the floor when he’s helping on defense. Luka is a good to above average on ball defender and can be pretty aggressive in going for blocks and steals when he is able to read the play, but he often times doesn’t know how to anticipate defensive rotations or intuit where to be on the floor when opponents run screen and rolls or drive and kick from the perimeter.

That said, I think he’s improved a lot in this area over the course of the season, and he seems to have a better overall feel for the defensive end of the floor over the past few weeks.

All of this makes sense to me since Luka is coming from Europe where they play a very different style of basketball and he learned to play a very different style of defense.
    This is good analysis. Thanks.
    Better than the noise coming from those still pissed we didn't draft Mattise "the second coming of Michael Jordan" Thybulle at 19, tbh

Spurs love forever RobinsontoDuncan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is good analysis. Thanks.
    Better than the noise coming from those still pissed we didn't draft Mattise "the second coming of Michael Jordan" Thybulle at 19, tbh
    Thanks.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that, in comparing Luka’s game film during summer league to his recent film in the G League, Luka looks visibly stronger and more mature now than he did in July. That said, he still could probably stand to add about 10 pounds of muscle to his frame (or more potentially, but Luka’s build doesn’t really support him becoming some massive big, so everything he’s adding is more like lean muscle and that takes longer to develop into bulk). The reason I think this matters is that a lot of the scoring plays that Luka is making during his run of good gamers have been power moves at the rim. Go back and watch his film from summer league and he was either struggling to finish those or settling for weak layups at the hoop. Lots of posters at the time we’re complaining that Luka was to weak to finish his drives then (which to me was stupid because not many bigs can penetrate like that off the dribble). Now he’s finishing his drives by throwing down massive dunks with authority, and his body control seems to have improved around the basket as well.

It really does need to be acknowledged that, whatever you think about the pick, Luka Samanic is a remarkably fluid athlete for his size. He has impressive footwork around the rim, a pro ready spin move, good handles that allow him to frequently cross over guards (especially in transition and off the drive and kick to the perimeter), and he has good balance for someone his size. He’s also a really creative player on offense—his game has an almost Manu-esque quality to it at times. Additionally, Luka has really good lateral quickness which helps him a lot on offense and defense.

Is he raw? Yeah, he still has a ways to go. But do I see why the Spurs drafted him and feel like he’s making real progress in Austin? Absolutely, the man has an incredibly high ceiling if he puts it all together. He could play like a better shooting, less good defensively version of the Greek Freak in his prime if he has a Kawhi Leonard like developement trajectory with the spurs. At a minimum, I’m convinced the man will have an NBA career and will be an impact role player as his worst case scenario. Like a Shawn Marion type toward the end of his career.
    Last edited by RobinsontoDuncan; 02-07-2020 at 06:21 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that, in comparing Luka’s game film during summer league to his recent film in the G League, Luka looks visibly stronger and more mature now than he did in July. That said, he still could probably stand to add about 10 pounds of muscle to his frame (or more potentially, but Luka’s build doesn’t really support him becoming some massive big, so everything he’s adding is more like lean muscle and that takes longer to develop into bulk). The reason I think this matters is that a lot of the scoring plays that Luka is making during his run of good gamers have been power moves at the rim. Go back and watch his film from summer league and he was either struggling to finish those or settling for weak layups at the hoop. Lots of posters at the time we’re complaining that Luka was to weak to finish his drives then (which to me was stupid because not many bigs can penetrate like that off the dribble). Now he’s finishing his drives by throwing down massive dunks with authority, and his body control seems to have improved around the basket as well.

It really does need to be acknowledged that, whatever you think about the pick, Luka Samanic is a remarkably fluid athlete for his size. He has impressive footwork around the rim, a pro ready spin move, good handles that allow him to frequently cross over guards (especially in transition and off the drive and kick to the perimeter), and he has good balance for someone his size. He’s also a really creative player on offense—his game has an almost Manu-esque quality to it at times. Additionally, Luka has really good lateral quickness which helps him a lot on offense and defense.

Is he raw? Yeah, he still has a ways to go. But do I see why the Spurs drafted him and feel like he’s making real progress in Austin? Absolutely, the man has an incredibly high ceiling if he puts it all together. He could play like a better shooting, less good defensively version of the Greek Freak in his prime if he has a Kawhi Leonard like developement trajectory with the spurs. At a minimum, I’m convinced the man will have an NBA career and will be an impact role player as his worst case scenario. Like a Shawn Marion type toward the end of his career.
    Thanks for your comment.

Samanic is GOOD. Very good. He is not a big, a center or anything like that. He's a forward. A talented, offensive, versatile forward. I hope PATFO doesn't repeat the mistake they made with Bertans. Davis is a shooter, SF or even SG, but not a 4 and he always played at the 3 in Europe. Samanic can't play the 5, he's the kind of creative talented player with the classic issues: he can be inconsistent, doesn't like defense or hustling in general, might look soft.

I'd go all-in with Luka Samanic for an NBA season (2020/21). Around 20' per game at least. At the end of de season, go to performance review and progression assesment: Is he getting notably better? If so, keep going and increase playing time. Isn't he? goodbye and good luck.

Thread Information