Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right, so Ferry would need a reasonably priced player he really wants and or draft picks in return. Doesn't make much sense for him unless the Spurs sent out someone like Leonard in the deal.
    splitter is a good fit alongside horford and he would resign for a lot less giving them some flexibility

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    splitter is a good fit alongside horford and he would resign for a lot less giving them some flexibility
    Yeah, I didn't see exactly how few players they had signed next season until a few minutes ago. It would be tough to see Splitter's not getting a max deal from Atlanta with their cap situation

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    As a Clipperfan, I would love it if the Spurs got J-Smoove... his soft chucking ways would boost our chances against SAS in the playoffs...

As a basketball fan, though, the Spurs wrecking that well-oiled machine of a team by adding a certified dumbass like Smith would be depressing, tbh..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smith doesn't really fit in here but the guy is still a damn good player. He could really help on the glass and defensively. Offensively, he would pretty much have to play the 4 to be effective but he still hasn't gotten open shots in ATL that he would get here. Plus, letting him work with Chip in that area and he might be able to turn into a decent shooter.

Wouldn't give up any combo of TP.TD.Manu,KL, Splitter though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smith to the spurs could only work if they can get him to play disciplined. If he utilizes the post more the same way Lebron has transformed, or if he could play like a Blair-Diaw hybrid minus the long jump shot, he would be monster. Plus he's somebody we can throw at Lebron/Durant. A lineup with Tim, Smoove, Kawhi would absolutely smother teams on D. Not sure if I'd sell Tiago though. Odds are we wouldn't resign smith but we would have better than 50/50 shot at resigning Tiago.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stephen Jackson missed last night game for "personal reasons"? Something is def going down. Al Jefferson only played 20 mins in his last game if that means anything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Josh Smith !?
    NO !!!!!!!!!!
    not need !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not want !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its been said that they want a young center to pair with Horford. Splitter certainly fits the bill, but I'm not sure thats a risk you take between Smith's at ude and Splitters Emergence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stephen Jackson missed last night game for "personal reasons"? Something is def going down. Al Jefferson only played 20 mins in his last game if that means anything.
    LOL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We may need a Josh Smith in order to get past OKC and beat Miami. Not sold yet on Splitter being able to defend the paint and rebound against the likes of Ibaka, LeBron, and all these other athletic freaks.

#1 poster - @chazley
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A coach like Pop is exactly what Josh Smith needs, and he fits the needs of this team defensively extraordinarily well. Offensively, he's got issues but he also is a capable scorer with a very good inside game. I really don't think giving J-Smith a max deal is such a bad move for this team, as it gives us a good young core of Parker/Kawhi/Smith.

We would have to give up Splitter and Stephen Jackson. The Hawks have literally zero bad contracts, so they have nothing they would want to throw in unless they value a guy like Danny Green enough to give up Anthony Morrow to make salaries work

So: Josh Smith and Anthony Morrow for Tiago Splitter, Stephen Jackson, and Danny Green. If push comes to shove, throw in the first rounder as it's likely to be a pick around 30 anyway. It's a move that is championship-or-bust, and considering Tiago is likely playing himself into a 12m/yr contract, giving Smith 16m/yr doesnt sound too bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His plane will be landing in NY soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A coach like Pop is exactly what Josh Smith needs, and he fits the needs of this team defensively extraordinarily well. Offensively, he's got issues but he also is a capable scorer with a very good inside game. I really don't think giving J-Smith a max deal is such a bad move for this team, as it gives us a good young core of Parker/Kawhi/Smith.

We would have to give up Splitter and Stephen Jackson. The Hawks have literally zero bad contracts, so they have nothing they would want to throw in unless they value a guy like Danny Green enough to give up Anthony Morrow to make salaries work

So: Josh Smith and Anthony Morrow for Tiago Splitter, Stephen Jackson, and Danny Green. If push comes to shove, throw in the first rounder as it's likely to be a pick around 30 anyway. It's a move that is championship-or-bust, and considering Tiago is likely playing himself into a 12m/yr contract, giving Smith 16m/yr doesnt sound too bad.
    NIce way to see things...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so splitter+jax+filler for josh?
    The only trade for Smith, that makes sense.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    The only way Josh Smith becomes a Spurs is if he agrees to an extention on the spot. R.C. isn't giving up Splitter for a half year rental. And a third team would have to be involved because Splitter isn't good enough to pry away Smith by himself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's also a huge question. Do you pay Tiago 10-12M per year this summer? That's the question that needs to be answered.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And like a lot of posters have said, it's far from sure Josh Smith will be a good fit with Spurs. It's the same situation than with Al Jefferson: talented but questionable fit.
    I think bringing him off the bench would be the best situation if he hypothetically did get traded to the Spurs. There he wouldn't feel so handcuffed mentally or physically and could just naturally play his game with Manu.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs elect to hold onto Splitter after the deadline they have to resign him this summer. Even if he lays another dud in the playoffs. Letting him walk would be a huge fail.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i can't emphasize enough how bad of a trade this would be for the Spurs. You pretty much torpedo this year's chance at a ring while simultaneously f'n up whatever plans you have for the post TD/Manu future.

Paying Tiago whatever he will make this summer is infinitely better than giving Smith a max contract. He's barely a year younger than Splitter and relies much more on his athleticism and a lot more inefficient. He's a decent defender but so is Tiago tbh. I don't see much of a difference in that regard.

A core of TP/Kawhi/Smith is a perennial 2nd round exit tbh. TP/Kawhi/Tiago isn't much better but you'll have more wiggle room financially minus all the headaches that come with acquiring a perennial loser like J-Smoove.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i can't emphasize enough how bad of a trade this would be for the Spurs. You pretty much torpedo this year's chance at a ring while simultaneously f'n up whatever plans you have for the post TD/Manu future.

Paying Tiago whatever he will make this summer is infinitely better than giving Smith a max contract. He's barely a year younger than Splitter and relies much more on his athleticism and a lot more inefficient. He's a decent defender but so is Tiago tbh. I don't see much of a difference in that regard.

A core of TP/Kawhi/Smith is a perennial 2nd round exit tbh. TP/Kawhi/Tiago isn't much better but you'll have more wiggle room financially minus all the headaches that come with acquiring a perennial loser like J-Smoove.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Splitter is a solid defender but he is no way a better or equal defender then Smith. Come on now. Smith is as versatile defender as they come. Smith being put in the right system could be very scary IMO. Playing 1 on 1 in Atlanta obviously isn't it.

#1 poster - @chazley
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

To say that trading, basically, Tiago Splitter for Josh Smith 'torpedos' our chances at a ring, you have zero clue about basketball. Josh Smith is a rare defensive talent. Having a defensive frontcourt of Kawhi/Josh Smith/Duncan would be, bar none, the BEST starting defensive frontcourt in the league. Tiago is an excellent talent, but he will never reach the upside that a Josh Smith has.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is BS the Spurs dont have the $ for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't read into it to much, just Smiths agent trying to raise interest for his client.
    Could be.

Soft Like Twinkie Filling Juggity's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As far as big men go, I'd much rather have Smith than Jefferson. Not that it will ever happen.

Thread Information