Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Thread is without a doubt the greatest Boomer poster here, if anything for the simple fact that he nutted up and took on the god damn Viet Cong like a ing man, and didn’t pussy out and hide from his duty *cough* picnroll CosmicCowboy *cough*

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're actually posting advertising copy at me as "proof" of the low carbon footprint of the production of the iPhone? Nowhere in any of their copy do I see a breakdown of the environmental cost of the strip mining and battery production. How about this from an actual impartial source:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lith...ronment-impact

8 in times in 10 years

That relates to the projections that the manufacturer of digital devices will half of the carbon footprint of all transportation in 20 years, and that's not even factoring in the transportation of the goods themselves. But yeah, millennials, so green and aware.

Apple's dumb report probably just considers the footprint of manufacture at the factory alone, and doesn't factor in all the strip mining and such in order to create the batteries.
    Unless you believe the creation of a single battery creates a 38K ton carbon footprint, this doesn't really impact the comparison. You scoffed at 100 smartphones having the same footprint as a single Camaro. It's safe to say the data shows that's the case and then some. At scale, of course the number will be bigger. What's the comparative car battery production footprint at scale?

https://www.businessinsider.com/appl...jaffray-2018-4
    https://fortune.com/2018/03/09/mille...rand-intimacy/

Android seems to sell better in the US per this graph, but teens and millennials cite Apple as their favorite brand. Perhaps their favorite Apple products are laptops and pads, but I think we can reasonably extrapolate they buy iPhones more than other generations.
    It's not surprising that Apple would be their favorite brand among smartphones vs. the many various Android devices. It's like saying Bernie Sanders was the Democrat voter preference by plurality among 8 candidates therefore most Democrats are Bernie Sanders supporters. The proof is in the purchase, and Apple has a similar share of smartphone purchase across all ages.

"Compared to the demographics of the segment, Prius owners are much older and wealthier. Most are male (62% vs. 59% for the segment) with a median age of 65 years"

https://insideevs.com/news/319696/ty...s-male-age-51/

"Nissan’s director of electric vehicle sales and marketing in North America, said the average age of LEAF buyers has dropped from a high of 53 years old last year to 51 years old this year." (from 2013).
    This follows the fact that new car buyers skew much older. The average age for a car owner is 55.

This chart shows that only 2% of car owners were between the age of 20-29: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-by-age-group/

Yet 10.5% of electric/hybrid owners are age 29 and under: https://www.greencarreports.com/news...d-more-options

So 29-and-unders skew 5x higher for green car purchase.

they didn't invent 18 wheelers . (do millennials ever do anything wrong in your world?) But they sure as don't have a problem with those 18 wheelers and panel trucks bringing Amazon goodies to their doorsteps, do they?
    Not unique to their generation either.

Like do you honestly think Amazon is the fault of millennials? When it launched, Gen X were the early adopters. Now everyone uses it, and honestly, it's pretty ing awesome that you can order anything you want and have it delivered to your door in less than 2 days. You act like we're in some kind of awful dystopia where we should be longing for the days of driving to the Ace Hardware two towns away just to find out they don't have the right type of screws you need.

And of course there's plenty I can find wrong with a population of 71 million. For every supposed hypocrisy you can find with Millennials, I can find similar or worse with their predecessors. The idea isn't to pardon any segment of society here (and honestly, I don't really have a huge dog in this hunt, but it's fun to argue about), I just think Millennials get a disproportionately bad rap in the Boomer media. Avocado Toast articles make great clickbait for old folks.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Thread is without a doubt the greatest Boomer poster here, if anything for the simple fact that he nutted up and took on the god damn Viet Cong like a ing man, and didn’t pussy out and hide from his duty *cough* picnroll CosmicCowboy *cough*
    Came back, Jerkwater, USA. Protesting me. Spittin' on me.

King sheriff, gonna shave me dry, they drew first blood.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless you believe the creation of a single battery creates a 38K ton carbon footprint, this doesn't really impact the comparison. You scoffed at 100 smartphones having the same footprint as a single Camaro. It's safe to say the data shows that's the case and then some. At scale, of course the number will be bigger. What's the comparative car battery production footprint at scale?
    You can keep spinning this point, but the fact remains that our collective digital device usage will be reach half of the emissions of the entire transportation industry in total. And you act like millennials are all bus riding, train riding, and EV driving people when many do drive gas guzzlers, in addition to buying a new smartphone every year. What's my contention here? Many of these digital devices that are manufactured serve no in' purpose other than being tech toys to show off on youtube unboxing videos. "Stop hating things I don't like!" I don't hate toys, but if we're really concerned about the environment, we'd curb our collective appe e for the latest smartphone and high def television (8K is absolutely useless at living room screen sizes at typical view distances). Millennials sure love to shake their fists at boomers for driving around an SUV, but don't check their rabid consumption of useless toys.

It's not surprising that Apple would be their favorite brand among smartphones vs. the many various Android devices. It's like saying Bernie Sanders was the Democrat voter preference by plurality among 8 candidates therefore most Democrats are Bernie Sanders supporters. The proof is in the purchase, and Apple has a similar share of smartphone purchase across all ages.
    The proof isn't in the purchase because it's not broken down by age group. All you and I can do is guess. And it doesn't really matter. Millennials are buying either the iPhone or Samsung every year.

This follows the fact that new car buyers skew much older. The average age for a car owner is 55.
    Now you're deflecting with a non-sequitur data point. You claimed millennials were the early adopters of EVs and hybrids, while boomers laughed at them from their Dodge Rams. That opinion was obviously wrong, since older generations were actually the first adopters.

Like do you honestly think Amazon is the fault of millennials? When it launched, Gen X were the early adopters. Now everyone uses it, and honestly, it's pretty ing awesome that you can order anything you want and have it delivered to your door in less than 2 days. You act like we're in some kind of awful dystopia where we should be longing for the days of driving to the Ace Hardware two towns away just to find out they don't have the right type of screws you need.
    My criticism re: Amazon is because millennials complain about corporate monopolies, desire to support "morally upstanding" businesses, small retail chains and independent stores, yet can't be tasked with driving to the Ace Hardware two towns away to support a relatively local brick-and-mortar. I'm not framing this as an all or nothing scenario. If you can't find what you need locally, yeah, click on Prime. If you can, support the local store that has it, even if it cost a little bit more and pulls you away from Instagram for 20 minutes. And to be fair, all demographics have been wooed by Amazon, so my complaints aren't solely directed at millennials.

And of course there's plenty I can find wrong with a population of 71 million. For every supposed hypocrisy you can find with Millennials, I can find similar or worse with their predecessors. The idea isn't to pardon any segment of society here (and honestly, I don't really have a huge dog in this hunt, but it's fun to argue about), I just think Millennials get a disproportionately bad rap in the Boomer media. Avocado Toast articles make great clickbait for old folks.
    Yes. Boomer haters exercise this method, as well. And "boomers ruined the world and drove up my student loans" doesn't make great click bait for millennials? To kind of end this debate, I think the generational tag is rather stupid anyway. Someone born in 46 and 64 are technically both boomers, but in my experience, the oldest boomers are more like Gen Xers in their cultural tastes and general at ude than someone born in '46. The oldest millennials are quite different from a millennials born in '98. That's why "blame" should be targeted toward individuals and not groups. I'm talking about millennials, but they aren't a hivemind. There's many who aren't so fascinated with the latest digital tech and drive lifted Dodge Rams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's enough trouble just running your underneath-a-pizza-parlor child sex ring on its own, and then you bring the deep state in? No thank you ...
    ???

Smart speakers collect your data. How do you think targeted advertising works and how the algorithm "learns?" Why the Indian tech centers? That data needs to be scrubbed so the algorithm can be trained with clean data (garbage in/garbage out). You don't just hit compile and Alexa "comes to life" and starts recommending movies to you based on your taste.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...3.cms?from=mdr

Don't lump me in with conspiracy theorists. This isn't any of that. This is literally how your favorite "smart" tech toys work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ???

Smart speakers collect your data. How do you think targeted advertising works and how the algorithm "learns?" Why the Indian tech centers? That data needs to be scrubbed so the algorithm can be trained with clean data (garbage in/garbage out). You don't just hit compile and Alexa "comes to life" and starts recommending movies to you based on your taste.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...3.cms?from=mdr

Don't lump me in with conspiracy theorists. This isn't any of that. This is literally how your favorite "smart" tech toys work.
    Hyperbole. I get that some people have privacy concerns. Personally, I don't give a .

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    You can keep spinning this point, but the fact remains that our collective digital device usage will be reach half of the emissions of the entire transportation industry in total. And you act like millennials are all bus riding, train riding, and EV driving people when many do drive gas guzzlers, in addition to buying a new smartphone every year. What's my contention here? Many of these digital devices that are manufactured serve no in' purpose other than being tech toys to show off on youtube unboxing videos. "Stop hating things I don't like!" I don't hate toys, but if we're really concerned about the environment, we'd curb our collective appe e for the latest smartphone and high def television (8K is absolutely useless at living room screen sizes at typical view distances). Millennials sure love to shake their fists at boomers for driving around an SUV, but don't check their rabid consumption of useless toys.

The proof isn't in the purchase because it's not broken down by age group. All you and I can do is guess. And it doesn't really matter. Millennials are buying either the iPhone or Samsung every year.

Now you're deflecting with a non-sequitur data point. You claimed millennials were the early adopters of EVs and hybrids, while boomers laughed at them from their Dodge Rams. That opinion was obviously wrong, since older generations were actually the first adopters.

My criticism re: Amazon is because millennials complain about corporate monopolies, desire to support "morally upstanding" businesses, small retail chains and independent stores, yet can't be tasked with driving to the Ace Hardware two towns away to support a relatively local brick-and-mortar. I'm not framing this as an all or nothing scenario. If you can't find what you need locally, yeah, click on Prime. If you can, support the local store that has it, even if it cost a little bit more and pulls you away from Instagram for 20 minutes. And to be fair, all demographics have been wooed by Amazon, so my complaints aren't solely directed at millennials.

Yes. Boomer haters exercise this method, as well. And "boomers ruined the world and drove up my student loans" doesn't make great click bait for millennials? To kind of end this debate, I think the generational tag is rather stupid anyway. Someone born in 46 and 64 are technically both boomers, but in my experience, the oldest boomers are more like Gen Xers in their cultural tastes and general at ude than someone born in '46. The oldest millennials are quite different from a millennials born in '98. That's why "blame" should be targeted toward individuals and not groups. I'm talking about millennials, but they aren't a hivemind. There's many who aren't so fascinated with the latest digital tech and drive lifted Dodge Rams.
    this guy reeeeaaaaalllllly in hates millennials

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hyperbole. I get that some people have privacy concerns. Personally, I don't give a .
    it's not hyperbole. Data scrubbers listen to millions of hours of conversations, labeled them (e.g. "cleaned them"), and used that data to better train the algorithm. Personally, I don't want to be folded into Amazon's echo system like that, basically existing as market research (and training data) for their products and services. The less corporation in our lives, the better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this guy reeeeaaaaalllllly in hates millennials
    Not really. They're pretty ty in general, though, more so the millennials born post-90ish. Anyone who was raised on the Internet is bound to be a re to some degree.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    it's not hyperbole. Data scrubbers listen to millions of hours of conversations, labeled them (e.g. "cleaned them"), and used that data to better train the algorithm. Personally, I don't want to be folded into Amazon's echo system like that, basically existing as market research (and training data) for their products and services. The less corporation in our lives, the better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, you have a smart speaker

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Alexa, what time is Avengers: End Game, and what is the coolest new Thanos meme I can share on twitter?"

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Smart speakers aren’t used by millennials, they’re what millennials give to their grandparents for Christmas.

Mr “I’m not a Boomer I just share all their thoughts and ideologies” probaby got one a couple months ago

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    When’s the last time an Amazon Echo ad targeted millennials? It’s always some middle aged couple with arthritis who can’t type on a smartphone keyboard in those commercials.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No generation is "all" anything. It's silly to expect universal behavior among an entire age group. All you can really compare are relative percentages.

And what Millennials are buying 8K Televisions? Man caves are for 50+ year olds.

And so are other generations. iPhone's share among Millenials is not substantially higher than other age groups.
    http://www.fluentco.com/wp-content/u...phics_2016.pdf

More Boomers buy cars, so more hybrids are going to be bought by Boomers. Gross sales aren't as relevant as percent sales. Hybrids and electrics were marketed to young people for a reason. Car buyers had to believe they were cool, and the way to do that is to get enough young people to buy them.

Millennials made it okay to buy an electric car.

This is all just conjecture about Millennial behavior and beliefs. Being anti-monopoly isn't any more uniquely Millennial than shopping on Amazon is. Amazon's rise is bigger than any one generation can take credit/blame for. It's a massive cultural shift in shopping behavior brought on by a massive cultural shift in info and access (the internet.) And if we're being honest, the death knell on small businesses wasn't struck by Amazon... it started with Walmart in the 90's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smart speakers aren’t used by millennials, they’re what millennials give to their grandparents for Christmas.

Mr “I’m not a Boomer I just share all their thoughts and ideologies” probaby got one a couple months ago
    Sure.

"As of February 2018, the Amazon Echo smart speaker had an ownership rate of 24 percent among Americans between 18 and 29 years old. The ownership rate decreases among older demographic – only ten percent of Americans between 55 to 64 years old owned the device."

And....https://imgur.com/a/Znt80P4

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hyperbole was in reference to my comment, but it also seems like you got boxes full of Pepe ...

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Sure.

"As of February 2018, the Amazon Echo smart speaker had an ownership rate of 24 percent among Americans between 18 and 29 years old. The ownership rate decreases among older demographic – only ten percent of Americans between 55 to 64 years old owned the device."

And....https://imgur.com/a/Znt80P4
    Not citing sources like a true Boomer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hyperbole was in reference to my comment, but it also seems like you got boxes full of Pepe ...
    "He mentions privacy and Indians listening and talks about evil corporations so he must be an alt-right conspiracy."

No. Nowhere did I in' claim nor imply that I think Amazon is going to turn into OCP (Robocop reference) and use their data on me for kind of nefarious corporate purpose. It's a manner of principle that I'm not going to provide data (which makes their corporation more money) for free just so I don't have to walk 3 feet to turn the in' lights off or ask Alexa what time Marvel Movie #74 is playing.

"But your probably providing data for Spurtalk right now!" Not a concern, because this is a "mom and pop" site and I don't mind them making whatever off the targeted advertisements I see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not citing sources like a true Boomer
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ership-by-age/

Seriously, though. Why so testy in my criticism of millennials? Something triggered it, and it just wasn't references to avocado toast or "me not being fair to other generations since they do what millennials do to ." So you don't own a smart speaker. Was it my " ty Marvel movies" line? Don't you like those movies? Apologize, bro. I just think they are complete dog .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually like the Marvel movies.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ership-by-age/

Seriously, though. Why so testy in my criticism of millennials? Something triggered it, and it just wasn't references to avocado toast or "me not being fair to other generations since they do what millennials do to ." So you don't own a smart speaker. Was it my " ty Marvel movies" line? Don't you like those movies? Apologize, bro. I just think they are complete dog .
    Lukewarm to Marvel movies. Don’t love them or hate them. It’s probably your complete lack of self awareness mixed with pretentious contrarianism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why are people mad about targeted advertising? i for one would rather see ads for sports or new video games rather than car insurance or feminine hygiene products

but i dont want amazon to know what my interests are

who the cares? how does it impact your life?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "He mentions privacy and Indians listening and talks about evil corporations so he must be an alt-right conspiracy."

No. Nowhere did I in' claim nor imply that I think Amazon is going to turn into OCP (Robocop reference) and use their data on me for kind of nefarious corporate purpose. It's a manner of principle that I'm not going to provide data (which makes their corporation more money) for free just so I don't have to walk 3 feet to turn the in' lights off or ask Alexa what time Marvel Movie #74 is playing.

"But your probably providing data for Spurtalk right now!" Not a concern, because this is a "mom and pop" site and I don't mind them making whatever off the targeted advertisements I see.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    “Ooooh look at me! I’m a Millennial aged person who hates those damn Millennials and their avocado toast and love of current pop culture (which obviously isn’t as good as the pop culture I grew up with!) and wish they’d stop being lazy and get off the Instagrams and go vote or pour concrete like a real adult! If they want to change the world they need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and get off the Tweeters and go take down billion dollar corporations! They could all navigate global diplomacy to pass climate change legislation if they wanted to, but they’re just too damn lazy sitting around on Snapchatter all day!”

Thread Information