Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With out Derek White and Keldon Johnson the starting line up will be just as bad as last year

Unless they use their absence to develop other players.

The more I think about it, the more I'm open to Mills starting AS LONG AS DeMar is the defacto PG and continues his facilitator role.

This will continue the ball movement displayed during the bubble, BUT that was not the only change that contributed to better play by the Spurs. Playing Mills also removes the defensive versatility that made the team better. Mills should only be used as a sparkplug in the long-term. So IF Mills must be used in the short-term, hopefully it is to allow the slow development of other players for where to be on offense and defense. Worst thing to happen is to throw them in the fire and everything is discombobulated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    have we even confirmed white/johnson are out for the season opener or is it just preseason?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds to me they're pushing DJ away from the head of the snake role and more into a defensive spark role.

Hope he does transition into a 3 and D.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills is starting 100%, WTF did y'all think?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, unless Keldon comes out of the gates blazing at +20ppg or something, there goes the chances of the Spurs trading vets at the deadline and tanking for Cade... It was short lived, lol. Also idk why, but Dejounte quotes just rub me the wrong way. So... Superficial or something, idk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hide this quote from TheDrewShow

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds to me they're pushing DJ away from the head of the snake role and more into a defensive spark role.

Yeah it was interesting to see him referring to himself as a "spark" instead of a fundamental part of the team, first time I'm hearing it I think. Maybe the coaches have realized they put too much on his plate to begin with, and now that the Spurs actually have a lot of options to develop, they're trying to reel him back in and get him to focus on a smaller role? One can hope.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills is starting 100%, WTF did y'all think?
    Tbh, I'm taking Patty starting over Forbes 100 times out of 100. And I have a su ion it'll be a temporary thing, maybe increase his value if he actually has a good start of the season in the levels of FIBA Patty like he's been saying... I can see a lot of contenders interested in that kind of roleplayer. Not the worst thing that could happen by a mile.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

How about IQ, DJ? How about training in making your ego smaller? Hmm...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's a weird ing way to talk about a vet.

Where's the respect? Lol damn DJ... "As long as he does this, we will be fine"

Sugus

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I just want him jacking up triples and making them at a 35-37% clip. He has shown he isn't a floor general, so lets not treat him as one. Put the ball in Demar and Derricks hands to facilitate and let him just focus on secondary ball handling, quick passes, and hitting open shots

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I swear. Its like some of you actively try to say something negative about this team. Its honestly pathetic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sugus
    Lmaoo "his presence alone", what does that even mean? Like you're not excited to have his body or playstyle out on the court with you? Weird thing to say tbh, also yeah, that wording on "as long as he gets on board with us..." like wasn't he on board already? He's been quite positive about adopting the new stretch 5 role and contributing to the bubble style of play in his interviews.....

I wasn't sure before, but this definitely rubs me the wrong way. Like the vets aren't all on the same page as the young guns (well, at least not DJ's page, it might be him that's out of the loop). I hope playing time and chemistry sort these things out, or it's just bad wording from DJ... Not the greatest interview that they've had, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sugus
    ”As long as... ”... yikes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I swear. Its like some of you actively try to say something negative about this team. Its honestly pathetic.
    I'm honored to be called out for negativity.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lmaoo "his presence alone", what does that even mean? Like you're not excited to have his body or playstyle out on the court with you? Weird thing to say tbh, also yeah, that wording on "as long as he gets on board with us..." like wasn't he on board already? He's been quite positive about adopting the new stretch 5 role and contributing to the bubble style of play in his interviews.....

I wasn't sure before, but this definitely rubs me the wrong way. Like the vets aren't all on the same page as the young guns (well, at least not DJ's page, it might be him that's out of the loop). I hope playing time and chemistry sort these things out, or it's just bad wording from DJ... Not the greatest interview that they've had, tbh.
    Ithink DJ is the dude that needs to be moved he seems like he's been trying to pit the younger guys vs the vets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ithink DJ is the dude that needs to be moved he seems like he's been trying to pit the younger guys vs the vets.
    He really looks like the odd man out, tbh. The problem with him IMO is that he doesn't bring anything to the table that the rest of the guards don't - he's not an irreplaceably elite shooter, his defense is good but not really elite (maybe he bounces back this season, we'll see), he's not a PG nor a SG unless he gets a massive shooting boost, and his IQ/decision making is questionable, much more so than White's.

If you think about it... White brings good ball distribution combined with initiating offense for himself and others, not to mention superb defense; Lonnie brings in excellent shooting and defense-bending athleticism with a lot of ceiling to develop further; Keldon brings in raw scoring and penetrating, on top of excellent man-to-man defense; and Vassell will supposedly bring elite shooting and zone defense as well. Dejounte is just stuck in no-man's-land, kind of good in all facets of the game but with his one elite skill (rebounding for a guard) not being all that necessary in the modern game. Sucks that the Spurs have already committed to him; his contract isn't untradeable or near it, but the image aspect of it will probably keep the Spurs from moving DJ in the near future.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He really looks like the odd man out, tbh. The problem with him IMO is that he doesn't bring anything to the table that the rest of the guards don't - he's not an irreplaceably elite shooter, his defense is good but not really elite (maybe he bounces back this season, we'll see), he's not a PG nor a SG unless he gets a massive shooting boost, and his IQ/decision making is questionable, much more so than White's.

If you think about it... White brings good ball distribution combined with initiating offense for himself and others, not to mention superb defense; Lonnie brings in excellent shooting and defense-bending athleticism with a lot of ceiling to develop further; Keldon brings in raw scoring and penetrating, on top of excellent man-to-man defense; and Vassell will supposedly bring elite shooting and zone defense as well. Dejounte is just stuck in no-man's-land, kind of good in all facets of the game but with his one elite skill (rebounding for a guard) not being all that necessary in the modern game. Sucks that the Spurs have already committed to him; his contract isn't untradeable or near it, but the image aspect of it will probably keep the Spurs from moving DJ in the near future.
    I agree with all of this.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count

pretty much this. i like DJM and have tried to give him the benefit of the doubt but he really just hasnt improved on anything since entering the league that warrants him being a starter. imo besides the Forbes fiasco, the biggest reason SA sucked in 2020 was shoe horning DJM into the SL and taking white's earned spot from him

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think they still hope him to be a leader. Why do you think his role is necessarily changed?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not only that but young players vs Pop. Dude has been whining about lack of freedom since day 1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they still hope him to be a leader. Why do you think his role is necessarily changed?
    Just the words defensive spark struck out to me and less of him talking about leadership compared to previous years

Thread Information