Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even the Spurs' official site lists Collins as a forward and a center, you gaping anus.

https://www.nba.com/spurs/roster/grid
    They also list Keldon as a F/G but play him exclusively as a 4. It doesn't matter what they list them as.

Collins is a C. On offense and defense. He's been all season long and he will be in the future. Even when paired with another big - Landale - it was Collins playing the C on both ends because he's less mobile. He's played less than a minute with Poeltl, for example.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The last time we listened to Larry Brown on a center, we ended up having to use Scola to salary dump him.
    He also LOVED Dwayne Schintzius. LOVED.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They also list Keldon as a F/G but play him exclusively as a 4. It doesn't matter what they list them as.

Collins is a C. On offense and defense. He's been all season long and he will be in the future. Even when paired with another big - Landale - it was Collins playing the C on both ends because he's less mobile. He's played less than a minute with Poeltl, for example.
    Lol, if Collins is a C only then we're ed and he'll be out of the league in a second.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guess is that the Spurs must be fairly pleased with the way the risk of the Collins acquisition turned out. It seemed to me that his play improved as the season went along, not bad for a previous lottery pick who hadn't played for a couple of years. I doubt they are willing to give up on Collins and trade him away since their gamble worked. That being said, where would Collins rank in the ongoing plans for the Spurs? Does he have any more upside than shown this season? I think he does, but not enough to make Poertle expendable.

So at this point, they are not going to trade Poertle if the only option is to leave the C position to Collins and Landale. However, in another thread someone suggested we trade Poertle for Charlotte's 13 or 15th pick, giving us 9, 13/15, 20 and 25. You wouldn't do this in a vacuum. But if the idea would be to use 9, 13 or 20 to pick up either Duren or Williams for the future Center position, that could be the wild swing for a home run that the FO needs to jump start a rebuild??? Might suck for next season relying on Collins and Landale and a rookie, but I'm in for some wild swings with this draft.

It would be nice if Landale can do a little more work at PF next year, but he isn't the optimal solution to the PF problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the people advocating a Charlotte trade have different iterations of what they would do, some iterations would hang onto the 9th pick, others would trade it to Charlotte in exchange for either 13 or 15 and something else. Poetl going there I think would be asking for both picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the people advocating a Charlotte trade have different iterations of what they would do, some iterations would hang onto the 9th pick, others would trade it to Charlotte in exchange for either 13 or 15 and something else. Poetl going there I think would be asking for both picks.
    It would depend on what players/salary they’re sending back. If they’re deadweight, both picks, one for Jak, and one for the dead cap. If they’re something that can be developed or flipped for more assets, one FRP should do.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It definitely seems like with their need for a Center and our most likely interest in not paying Yak a big check for his next contract that there could be some room to make a deal. But it feels like Duren or possibly M. Williams is the center CHA would want because he would best complement Lamelo. I think they would want a rim runner/lob threat and I don't see Yak as that, though who knows what CHA really wants.

Now, if the FO wants to pursue Duren, then I guess they see his floor as being good enough to help now, because he would be replacing a defensive minded center who can't shoot for another one, but with the hope that he can improve over time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It definitely seems like with their need for a Center and our most likely interest in not paying Yak a big check for his next contract that there could be some room to make a deal. But it feels like Duren or possibly M. Williams is the center CHA would want because he would best complement Lamelo. I think they would want a rim runner/lob threat and I don't see Yak as that, though who knows what CHA really wants.

Now, if the FO wants to pursue Duren, then I guess they see his floor as being good enough to help now, because he would be replacing a defensive minded center who can't shoot for another one, but with the hope that he can improve over time.
    Yes. What we keep talking past is that there has been no indication of a Charlotte trade whatsoever, only a single unsubstantiated rumor. There is no foundation in thinking Charlotte wants Poeltl or would trade for him. He's also, like you say, not a good fit. He's more of a half court player.

There do seem to be teams interested in Poeltl, including Toronto. Charlotte may be one of them, but we don't know this yet.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even the Spurs' official site lists Collins as a forward and a center, you gaping anus.

https://www.nba.com/spurs/roster/grid

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Pelton's final stat only rankings, Duren is 22nd.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Pelton's final stat only rankings, Duren is 22nd.
    Where did Mark Williams land?

(Behind the paywall lol)

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where did Mark Williams land?

(Behind the paywall lol)
    Mark Williams 32nd.

As to paywall, I've scraped together 1-18, 20, 22, 24, 32, 33, 35, 38, 44, 48, 59.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    larry brown as a coach is great but i don't know how great he is at evaluating talent, plus his view of a big is still pretty old school.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. If the Hornets are parting with the 13 and 15 for a center its going to Jak not Duran since they are trying to win now.

I still think Jak and the 20 for the 13 and 15 is doable for both parties.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. If the Hornets are parting with the 13 and 15 for a center its going to Jak not Duran since they are trying to win now.

I still think Jak and the 20 for the 13 and 15 is doable for both parties.
    just to move up 5 or 7 spots is a poverty return. , the corpse of Thad on a 2 month rental got us a 13 position jump from 33 to 20.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just to move up 5 or 7 spots is a poverty return. , the corpse of Thad on a 2 month rental got us a 13 position jump from 33 to 20.
    It the 13 and 15 for Jak and the 20. Spurs keep the 9.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It the 13 and 15 for Jak and the 20. Spurs keep the 9.
    Gotcha. Misread, since some are floating 13 or 20. That’s doable, depending on what they send back for salary.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those picks were still unknown at the time of that trade. Charlotte is not likely to trade away 13 and move down with the other for Poeltl?

Best you might be able to get one of those picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Charlotte is not trading both picks for Poeltl. Their fans would riot. They'd be much more likely to go for Williams and Duren than Poeltl. Duren is perfect. They are sort of win now but not desperately so. Their main players are very young and they're on the cusp of the playoffs already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Charlotte I believe Hired Kenny Atkinson who has a reputation for developing young players, case closed tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Charlotte is not trading both picks for Poeltl. Their fans would riot. They'd be much more likely to go for Williams and Duren than Poeltl. Duren is perfect. They are sort of win now but not desperately so. Their main players are very young and they're on the cusp of the playoffs already.
    But there's a good chance that Duren and Williams don't even reach what Jak current level. People seem to be assuming that Duren and Williams become at least as good as Jak and that's simply not true. Both of them carry bust risk and might only reach Jak current level of play two or three years from now. Williams and Duren are overrated relative to Jak. The very same things that limit Jak's value also limit their value too but they aren't proven NBA players and rim protectors like Jak.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It feels like ST wants more a center (jak by coincidence) for Charlotte that they might want themselves, tbh.

We honestly have no idea of their agenda but it's not because we'd like to trade Poetl there that they would be interested, not at the conditions Im' reading here anyway. Put the pipe down fellas, spurs aren't ending up with 9, 13/15 20 and 25.

Yes they'd like to be a PO team, but Charlotte isn't desperate and not a valuable center away from ringing... Poetl does'nt dramatically move the needle for them and they're not gonna trade away future potential jsut for Jak freakin' Poetl( even with #20 or 25)... I honestly don't know what mode they're in, but they're not gonna sacrifice future for maybe a first round sweep next year...

Hey, we've had enough people advocating here for missing the PO (and a sure first round exit) at the profit of a better pick (and future), not to imagine Charlotte would sacrifice their picks (and future) for mediocrity...

I would cost much better than that to put our hands on their picks.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It feels like ST wants more a center (jak by coincidence) for Charlotte that they might want themselves, tbh.

We honestly have no idea of their agenda but it's not because we'd like to trade Poetl there that they would be interested, not at the conditions Im' reading here anyway. Put the pipe down fellas, spurs aren't ending up with 9, 13/15 20 and 25.

Yes they'd like to be a PO team, but Charlotte isn't desperate and not a valuable center away from ringing... Poetl does'nt dramatically move the needle for them and they're not gonna trade away future potential jsut for Jak freakin' Poetl( even with #20 or 25)... I honestly don't know what mode they're in, but they're not gonna sacrifice future for maybe a first round sweep next year...

Hey, we've had enough people advocating here for missing the PO (and a sure first round exit) at the profit of a better pick (and future), not to imagine Charlotte would sacrifice their picks (and future) for mediocrity...

I would cost much better than that to put our hands on their picks.
    Jak still only turn 27 next season and they get his Bird Rights. People make it sound like Jak is 33 and on his last legs as a good player. The dude has a ton of good production ahead of him. Now I get it that once Jak gets paid he losses some value as an asset but once again people are overrating Duren and Williams relative Jak. All three guys share many of the same strengths and weaknesses but Jak is the only proven player among them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jak still only turn 27 next season and they get his Bird Rights. People make it sound like Jak is 33 and on his last legs as a good player. The dude has a ton of good production ahead of him. Now I get it that once Jak gets paid he losses some value as an asset but once again people are overrating Duren and Williams relative Jak. All three guys share many of the same strengths and weaknesses but Jak is the only proven player among them.
    Jak could be more valuable with a contender than a rebuilding team is the point. It would take a couple more years, even with a great draft before our young core can be a contender. So the timeline wise, it’s best to move Poeltl for Centers with higher upsides like Duren or Williams.

And not to burst your bubble, Jak has reached his ceiling. I doubt he improves a whole lot, maybe a little. He just doesn’t have the motor or desire because he’s been in the league for how many years??? And he’s barely have consistent reliable offense. I say cash it out while ahead.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lamelo wants to throw alley oops to somebody. The GM likely acknowledges they need a center. They have the 13th pick. They are probably thinking they can wait and see if they can get either Duren or Mark Williams at 13. I don't imagine both of them gone, but I suppose there's a chance. Big picture, as others have said, we are likely projecting too much on their need for Yak. Maybe Borrego would have been one to speak well on Yak's behalf or whatever, but he's gone, and I don't think the non-initiated are dying to get Yak on their team, especially for what may be a one year rental if they don't want to pay a big raise, either.

Thread Information