Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.expressnews.com/sports/s...r-17091408.php

Only four teams other than the Spurs project to have room under the salary cap this summer — Detroit, Orlando, Indiana and Portland.

“I believe that I’m a starter,” said Walker, who has started 56 games in the NBA. “But if I’m a sixth man or coming off the bench, I’m fine with that.

“I’ve embraced San Antonio,” Walker said. “The community has embraced me as much as possible. I love it here. We’ll see where it takes me.”

Honestly, I’m not the biggest Lonnie advocate but I also realize no one wants to come to San Antonio so might as well re-sign him. 4 years 40 million is not terrible and that would be the most he’d get. The Spurs have signed bigger turds to a contract like that. Drafting and Player development NOT free agency are the only components the Spurs have to get back to the play offs. It is what it is. Now if we hit the magic ping pong ball and land Ivey then let Lonnie walk but otherwise he likes it here and he won’t break the bank. Enough of the pipe dreams if you think free agents are coming here you’re being a Cowboys fan. Unrealistic.
    Horrible. No ne else will come here, so sign a mentally fragile, timid guard. Nope, all day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said on the day we drafted Primo that the pick was a warning shot to both DJ and Lonnie. DJ responded well and had a career year. Of course that’s not bc of Primo but rather bc DJ has that hungry desire to improve while Lonnie stayed exactly the same player that he has always been.

Everything Lonnie does well, Primo either does just as well or shows flashes of being able to do at a much cheaper price. You don’t sign inconsistent role players. You sign role players who know how to play, know themselves as players, and who will be ready to contribute. Lonnie is a role player and he mentally isn’t at the stage to know wtf to do on the court. Maybe in 3 years he will figure it out but it won’t be here.

That being said, I blame Pop’s coaching and player development for Lonnie being the show he has become. You can’t one size fits all players and expect them to succeed. We did Lonnie dirty in his development and I’ve made no qualms otherwise

Lol, the only person holding Lonnie Walker back is Lonnie Walker. Gmafb

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah he had his one year try out and I don't think it worked out he did better at the end but to be honest the last 40 games we played maybe 7 of those teams had a record above 500. So balling out against Portland, Orlando, and Houston, doesn't really tell me much of a player when your basically going against G League players

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah he had his one year try out and I don't think it worked out he did better at the end but to be honest the last 40 games we played maybe 7 of those teams had a record above 500. So balling out against Portland, Orlando, and Houston, doesn't really tell me much of a player when your basically going against G League players
    He really didn’t improve, they just increased his volume of scoring opportunities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Horrible. No ne else will come here, so sign a mentally fragile, timid guard. Nope, all day.
    A little hyperbolic but I feel you. Ive said worse about Lonnie. I’ve been voicing my disappointment with Lonnie up to this point in his career (not online but just with other Spurs fans) so it’s not like I don’t understand most Spurs fans being done with him. I’m just trying to be practical here. He’d be re-signed most likely to come off the bench. I’m not seeing the gravity here. If he walks, fine, but no one is going to give him a big contract so I actually think he’s likely to return. I’m not a Lonnie advocate I’ve already stated this. But thinking the money could be “better spent” in the hopes of maintaining enough salary cap space for a high level free agent? It ain’t happening.

Again, if drafting Ivey, Davis, or Mathurin is enough to let Lonnie go so be it. I’m not saying this is you, but this whole message board mentality of “We know what he is at 23” is just ridiculous. Look how many on here were upset with the Murray contract at the time. Now it looks great. With the Poeltl contract. Now it looks like a bargain. Probably the same people will be upset with the KJ extension…and for what? A big name free agent that was never going to come to San Antonio. Drafting and player development is the only chance we have.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A little hyperbolic but I feel you. Ive said worse about Lonnie. I’ve been voicing my disappointment with Lonnie up to this point in his career (not online but just with other Spurs fans) so it’s not like I don’t understand most Spurs fans being done with him. I’m just trying to be practical here. He’d be re-signed most likely to come off the bench. I’m not seeing the gravity here. If he walks, fine, but no one is going to give him a big contract so I actually think he’s likely to return. I’m not a Lonnie advocate I’ve already stated this. But thinking the money could be “better spent” in the hopes of maintaining enough salary cap space for a high level free agent? It ain’t happening.

Again, if drafting Ivey, Davis, or Mathurin is enough to let Lonnie go so be it. I’m not saying this is you, but this whole message board mentality of “We know what he is at 23” is just ridiculous. Look how many on here were upset with the Murray contract at the time. Now it looks great. With the Poeltl contract. Now it looks like a bargain. Probably the same people will be upset with the KJ extension…and for what? A big name free agent that was never going to come to San Antonio. Drafting and player development is the only chance we have.
    So I agree a lot with your last paragraph but lonnie should not be brought back even for the minimum. This is not so much a money issue currently as it is numbers game. we already have to many guards/sf. Walker is not a pg so he couldnt even play there. Currently I have us at 6 sg/sf and that is not counting Wieskamp but does count langford, kj and even mcdermont as sg/sf. I dont count think these can play pf except in rare situations. this leaves no time for him to play as if he plays he takes time away from others.

As for as your second paragraph So many people are still down on Murray and I dont get it. I think it is more because they dont take the time to actually look at the team and just want to chase big names.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker isn't the problem. Because if he leaves, we will still have to deal with popovich's bull

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop did treat him roughly in the beginning, I imagine because he saw a glimmer of star potential and tried to push him to be great. Worked well for Parker, but didn't work out that well for Lonnie, but Lonnie probably wasn't going to be great regardless. I can see both sides to this, but I think Lonnie got enough of a chance this year and it just hasn't worked out. We're looking for stars, and his role is still kinda iffy. A microwave scorer should be his role. Maybe it can still happen. But we have so many damn guards, it's a tough sell to commit much to him. He'd have to be like a 9th man moving forward to give other players a chance. Is that worth it?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No thank you………. Pay Malik not Lonnie

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if Lonnie will be going live with NBA TV again this summer, during the draft. Last year, he seemed surprised with the Primo pick; if the Spurs grab another wing or guard, Lonnie would have to suspect the writing is on the wall.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if Lonnie will be going live with NBA TV again this summer, during the draft. Last year, he seemed surprised with the Primo pick; if the Spurs grab another wing or guard, Lonnie would have to suspect the writing is on the wall.
    Nah, Lonnie's reads are so slow he'll be on another team for half a year before the writing on the wall sinks in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Safe to say re-signing is not happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think there’s a decent chance he stays, especially if they trade Richardson. Also if the Spurs really view Primo as a primary ballhandler, which wouldn’t be surprising since it was his initial role on the team last season, and in Austin as well. Not convinced Keldon can survive as a wing either. With Wesley likely spending the whole year in the g league this leaves plenty of room and minutes for Lonnie.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    imo it will depend on what the Spurs will do with Wesley next year even if Branham is part of the roster.

IMO one of J rich and Walker will be gone for sure but not necesseraly both. The spurs could also made Jones available to clear rotations with Primo maybe playing some PG and Wright saying Wesley could play some point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No reason to bring Walker back at any cost.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A sign and trade would be nice, but I seriously doubt that happens. With an already crowded backcourt, so so stats, and 2 guards being drafted, its a good bet that Walker is history.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think there’s a decent chance he stays, especially if they trade Richardson. Also if the Spurs really view Primo as a primary ballhandler, which wouldn’t be surprising since it was his initial role on the team last season, and in Austin as well. Not convinced Keldon can survive as a wing either. With Wesley likely spending the whole year in the g league this leaves plenty of room and minutes for Lonnie.
    They literally just drafted two replacements. And, with Sochan sliding into the PF, everyone gets knocked down a position, and there is even more compe ion a the 2 and 3 spots for minutes.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They literally just drafted two replacements. And, with Sochan sliding into the PF, everyone gets knocked down a position, and there is even more compe ion a the 2 and 3 spots for minutes.
    Neither of which will contribute much this coming up year. It is beneficial for both the Spurs and Walker to sign a one year deal. He started showing significant improvement after White was traded, and he was given a consistent role. I personally still feel he has the highest ceiling, and we may be prematurely throwing in the towel with him. Far as I can see confidence is what is holding him back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neither of which will contribute much this coming up year. It is beneficial for both the Spurs and Walker to sign a one year deal. He started showing significant improvement after White was traded, and he was given a consistent role. I personally still feel he has the highest ceiling, and we may be prematurely throwing in the towel with him. Far as I can see confidence is what is holding him back.
    He didn’t show any improvement at all. His defense was still atrocious, his offensive game is still the same as it was when he first entered. He’s had his chances.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree he stepped up later in season and now has another off-season to put in more work...I'm intrigued by what he could be come regular season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree he stepped up later in season and now has another off-season to put in more work...I'm intrigued by what he could be come regular season
    If he hasn’t become it in four full seasons, he won’t. The only thing that changed last year was that his usage increased. He was no better. In fact his 3 point shot fell off a ing cliff.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he hasn’t become it in four full seasons, he won’t. The only thing that changed last year was that his usage increased. He was no better. In fact his 3 point shot fell off a ing cliff.
    I understand the against Lonnie without a doubt but he really played like 2 full seasons. First year he did not play and second he barely played.

He didn’t show any improvement at all. His defense was still atrocious, his offensive game is still the same as it was when he first
    entered. He’s had his chances.
    Saying that is not true. Between year 2 and 4 he goes from 6 ppg to 12 ppg, from 1 apg top 2 apg with just + 7 minutes per game. We could say that the % are not great but not that he didn't improves.

More than that i understand if the Spurs let him go but imo it's not the best outcome when after 4 years of development a guy starts to pan out a little bit. I'll give him a little contract for 2 years maybe TO the second year and if that's not good i trade him or let him go..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he will be who he always was, Walker won't improve magically. He's gone

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Lonnie, if he does develop, is going to be one of those players who develops later in his career. A Stephen Jackson or Jonathan Simmons or Danny Green.

He's very skilled in a lot of respects and seems to be well coached, but is so far away from putting it all together. He's inconsistent and only seems to come out when it doesn't matter. Like the game isn't natural for him and he doesn't seem to particularly enjoy it. I've never watched a game and seen Lonnie do something that matters. Even someone like Langford has had more flashes than Lonnie.

This means we can't have him on the team at anything other than a very low developmental, prove-it contract rate. We have way too much promising talent on the team at his position to pay him to take up space and time. His only role can be as the hungry 15th man who needs to prove he belongs in the league, and Lonnie likely needs to be treated that way to develop. Coddling him won't help.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    10765342[/URL]]No reason to bring Walker back at any cost.
    100% truth. Maybe we can do a sign and trade with him.

Thread Information