Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His dad, Dell Curry had the quickest release jumpshot back in the 1990s.
    I was a fan of the man's jumper. Pure and quick, no wasted movement.

Steph probably learned a lot of those tricks from his dad.
    Dell Curry was certainly one of the best shooters of his generation. There's no doubt that Dad taught son the secrets of the trade. Meanwhile, his kid has evolved into an absolutely unreal shooter. Stephen is even more lethal because he can score in so many ways - off the dribble, catch and shoot, off screens and even in the paint with floaters and such. At this point in his career, it's possible that the son may have have surpassed the old man.

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The people that left early got to their cars and were like WTF!!!

Was crazy to see half the stadium empty. That's why you never leave a game, much less a playoff game, early.
    Incredible that the loudness in OT and 2OT sound like it was a sell-out crowd.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I certainly hope that Splitter is back and effective in the next game, because we need him against Bogut. Duncan couldn't handle Bogut last night and I don't think it was because of the flu. I think Bogut is too young and too strong. We need Splitter against him.

Thank god Diaw is back. He is a really really big help to us, as long as we are not asking him to take on Bogut.

Our shooters will be better in the next game. IIRC, Tony was at 42% before the OT's, Duncan at 40%, and Ginobili at less than 30%. We will be fine on that eventually.

I think we have to make everybody except Curry beat us, because he is too good, regardless of who is guarding him. Tony did some good and some poor on the defensive end against him, but what finally got Curry wasn't as much Leonard or Green or a revitalized Tony. It was Mark Jackson, who let him play every minute of the second half. If Neal had stayed on his man in the first overtime, we could have taken the game then. If we stay on everybody else and let Curry have his, we will win.

None of this means that Curry has outplayed anyone on the Spurs team. His shooting is in the category of a Durant or a James, but his overall game isn't as good as our guys. Our guys were not ready to play at the proper intensity level when the game started and showed miserably. Then the third quarter was a disaster as Spurs' third quarters have been disasters for so many years over the Pop era.

Timvp has already mentioned this but the team played much better without Duncan than with him. We were faster and sharper. And we made up the 16 point difference without him. That doesn't mean we go away from Duncan in the future. He will feel better by the next game, hopefully. But we need someone to bounce with Bogut and that is not Tim. We need either Splitter or even a little dose of Baynes.

Next game: if we figure out what to do with Bogut and make sure that we stay at home on everyone not named Curry, I think we win much more easily than this one. Curry's assists were so high because we kept running so many people at him his team members got very open looks.

We defended Curry as well as he can be defended. He is a great player developing before our eyes. Let him get his. Shut everybody else down. We will be fine.
    Bogut was good, but you're acting like he had a monster game..Bogut's offensive game is limited, he's not going to dominate anybody on offense, tbh..Duncan will have problems in the pick&roll against Curry, but there's absolutely no reason to believe a healthy Duncan can't stop Bogut's mediocre post game and limited scoring ability..rebound-wise, Bogut had 3 more in more minutes..

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've already shared my thoughts in other threads, so a few points I haven't touched on yet:

- Dejuan Blair is just terrible..I said it was bad news that he played well against the Lakers, and it's looking like that's the case early on..he didn't even put a hand up to contest Landry's first shot, which was pathetic..he was abused on the rest of the possessions against him..

I understand that Blair is limited by his height, but most of his mistakes are mental, stemming from low defensive IQ..I just can't fathom a valid reason that he would play once Splitter returns, tbh..

- Joseph's defense wasn't good, but I won't hold that against him..Curry was hot, there isn't much you can do..

I was more discouraged by his offense..he reverted to conservative Cory Joseph, dribbling the ball up and handing it off immediately to Neal or Ginobili or whoever..he wasn't looking to be aggressive at all..

When Joseph is aggressive on offense, he's a legit backup..when he's conservative, it's evident that he spent the year in the D-league, tbh..there's a dramatic difference..

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On Mike and Mike, they confirmed with Elias that in the last fifteen years in the playoffs, teams that were leading by 16 in the fourth quarter with four minutes to go were 392-0. Now thanks to the Spurs, it's 392-1. ing incredible.
    That means that there were on average 26 times a year that a playoff teams were trailing by 16 with with four minutes to go, that seems like kind of a hard sell IMO, are you sure they weren't exaggerating?

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That means that there were on average 26 times a year that a playoff teams were trailing by 16 with with four minutes to go, that seems like kind of a hard sell IMO, are you sure they weren't exaggerating?
    There are 15 series per year, I'll go with an average of 6 (being nice), that's 90 playoff games a year. That would mean 30% of playoff games end in a relative blowout... indeed seems like a lot.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wow, all manu had to do was hold onto the ball, 11 secs on the shot clock and up by 3, could've just turned this into a free throw game.
    reminds me of when he fouled dirk in game 6 or 7, up by 3, just give dirk his 2 points and turn it into a free throw game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

@AminESPN: Wow....teams up 16 in the 4th quarter had won 392 CONSECUTIVE GAMES...until last night #SpursVsWarriors

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs played so poorly first 3 and a half quarters that Timmy threw up!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I noticed that as well. Of course every coach sometimes uses timeouts for motivational speeches, but D'Antoni just seemed to have no clue whatsoever what to say if not "Come on, let's go" or something like that all the time.
    I suspect that TNT has a deal with the coaches that they won't broadcast any real strategy stuff in those timeouts, so that leaves them with the sort of general rah-rah stuff that coaches probably begin and end most huddles with. I seriously doubt that the motivational stuff is all that these coaches are saying in those huddles.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For whatever it's worth, Curry set the building record for points in a game last night.

There have been 8 games in the SBC/AT&T Center in which individual players for the Spurs or their opponents have scored 40 or more:

44 -- Stephen Curry (5/6/13)*
    43 -- Manu Ginobili (4/2/10) v. ORL
    42 -- Monta Ellis (11/25/09)
    42 -- Tony Parker (2/4/12) v. OKC
    41 -- Tim Duncan (5/22/06) v. DAL*
    41 -- Amare Stoudemire (2/28/10)
    40 -- Tim Duncan (5/19/03) v. DAL*
    40 -- Tim Duncan (4/19/08) v. PNX*

* - Playoff game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suspect that TNT has a deal with the coaches that they won't broadcast any real strategy stuff in those timeouts, so that leaves them with the sort of general rah-rah stuff that coaches probably begin and end most huddles with. I seriously doubt that the motivational stuff is all that these coaches are saying in those huddles.
    Yeah, that would make sense. I still maintain that D'Antoni looked rather clueless in these situations, though.

It is what it is. Mark in Austin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biggest concern going forward is Parker's health. He still doesn't look right. Curry is an amazing, all world talent. But he's not THAT much better than a healthy Parker. If Parker can't defend Curry at least as well as he has historically defended Westbrook, it really scrambles the defense. If Parker was on Curry, that would allow a taller player on Thompson, which would make Thompson work harder for his shots. Right now, he's just shooting over Parker, and if he hadn't fouled out, the Spurs would now be down 0-1.

TiagomustdominateFisher mrjap2x's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His dad, Dell Curry had the quickest release jumpshot back in the 1990s.
    I was a fan of the man's jumper. Pure and quick, no wasted movement.

Steph probably learned a lot of those tricks from his dad.
    Anyone care to explain how the Curry's shot the ball?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Such a big game for our role players. Green, Leonard, and Diaw really brought it. Duncan was sick, Parker bothered by length, and Manu was just a bit off most of the night. This game is a 20 point plus blowout without big performances from the other guys. If we have hot streak Danny Green this series, I still think the Spurs win in 5. I expect a much better Spurs team in game 2.

Golden State is getting a lot of praise, and rightfully so. However, the big take away from me was that they played as good as they can in the first half, and could never muster a double digit lead. The Spurs on the other hand, played terrible in the first half and were able to hang around. It wasn't until Steph Curry went on a tear that they were able to pull away. They can't expect the Spurs to play that bad again. I expect the Spurs to jump ahead of most games in this series going forward, but Curry will keep the Warriors close. It will be interesting to see how the young team plays from behind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wonder how the outcome had been with a healthy TD and minus the horrific 1 for 10 start. our rust showed all throughout the first 6-8 minutes of the game and they were still in a groove from the denver series. i seriously doubt we get off to such an abysmal start on wednesday. also, wonder what splitter can give us in terms of rebounding where we really got killed and also with his defense at the rim. offensively, he is also great on picks and getting to the rim.

Eastsideboxing Spurs fan bulakenyo's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone care to explain how the Curry's shot the ball?
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U3tzapn...eature=related

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green is got some ing big balls IMO

Win. Whatever it Takes Whisky Dog's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wow, all manu had to do was hold onto the ball, 11 secs on the shot clock and up by 3, could've just turned this into a free throw game.
    reminds me of when he fouled dirk in game 6 or 7, up by 3, just give dirk his 2 points and turn it into a free throw game.
    It wasn't 11 seconds on the game clock it was 11 seconds on the shot clock. There was still about 40 seconds or more in the game but still a terrible shot to take

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RT @RJinVegas: 392-0. The record, before last night, of #NBA playoff teams with a 16+ point lead at the 4 minute mark [via EliasSports"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RT @RJinVegas: 392-0. The record, before last night, of #NBA playoff teams with a 16+ point lead at the 4 minute mark [via EliasSports"
    it's as if the game was fine tuned for the spurs to win !

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some random thoughts too:

Positives

- Parker kept battling even though his jump shot wasn't falling. He really kept the offense afloat in the overtimes. If Parker had stopped trying to score, the entire offense would have collapsed and the Warriors would have won.

- Manu had a turrible shooting night, worse than Parker's, but managed to hit the game winner.

- Green just kept producing clutch moves after clutch moves. Two really important 3's and a steal and a block in the overtimes are what I can remember. The 3 near the end of regulation was the same play used against Kobe.

- Pop showed tremendous trust letting Leonard post up in the overtime, Leonard with big balls scoring off that post up.

Negatives

- Duncan was very slow to rotate, which led to a lot of GS layups. GS usually aren't that good with layups. I remember when they were playing the Lakers with Dwight in foul trouble but they still avoided the paint like the plague. Duncan needs to get better and become more focused.

- No one really guarded Curry well... he just got tired in the end. I think the Spurs should just keep Parker on him and shut down everyone else. Can live with Curry chucking up 25+ shots but can't live with Klay Thompson or Harrison Barnes scoring easily and gaining confidence.

- Outcome would have been very different if Klay Thompson didn't foul out.

- Warriors fight through screens very well but the Spurs could not. Warriors are also just flat out more athletic than the Spurs and can play very good defense when they are focused. Just like the Thunder last year, if they decide to lock down, they can lock down the Spurs. Let's hope they don't figure that out.

- Ginobili and Parker both had terrible games. Hopefully it's because their rusty and not because the Warriors are playing elite defense.

I may or may not care. monkeypunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unbelievable game but we don't win if Thompson doesn't foul out, allowing us to put Kawhi on Curry who was already gassed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -I think we can officially put to bed the idea that Danny Green is a playoff choker.
    Let's hope so.

Thread Information