Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Use those Bird rights and pay him for 2 years.

Right now, Spurs are a much better team when Rudy is on the floor and playing well.

Just don't give him a ing Gasol contract.
    Yes, the Spurs need Gay, but also don’t want this to be more than a two year deal. Heck, I’m fine paying him the max of his Early Bird rights (175% of $10mm) in a one year deal with no money beyond this year, with an understanding he may take less pay in the future.

If operating over the cap, it literally doesn’t matter what he makes on a one year deal. They’ll have the full MLE available.

If two years, I’d like to see something like $13 in year 1 and $12mm in year 2, with reverse escalators. That’s probably going to be done because they can frontload a bit.

2 years, 40M but 2nd year fully non-guaranteed. Give him all the 2 years money in one year.
    Can’t pay him that much, and why would they ever do that knowing year 2 is going to be void? That contract doesn’t even work in trades anymore.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah im glad kawhi left too! I dont want a sorry sack of on my team!
    Salty af

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always liked the gay signing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, the Spurs need Gay, but also don’t want this to be more than a two year deal. Heck, I’m fine paying him the max of his Early Bird rights (175% of $10mm) in a one year deal with no money beyond this year, with an understanding he may take less pay in the future.

If operating over the cap, it literally doesn’t matter what he makes on a one year deal. They’ll have the full MLE available.

If two years, I’d like to see something like $13 in year 1 and $12mm in year 2, with reverse escalators. That’s probably going to be done because they can frontload a bit.

Can’t pay him that much, and why would they ever do that knowing year 2 is going to be void? That contract doesn’t even work in trades anymore.
    They can pay him close to that (was rounding up) and year two it’s the same logic as year one. If LMA and DeRozan are still here Rudy makes sense still in year 2 and mle still available. If not, team declines their option and he’s off the books

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can pay him close to that (was rounding up) and year two it’s the same logic as year one. If LMA and DeRozan are still here Rudy makes sense still in year 2 and mle still available. If not, team declines their option and he’s off the books
    Got it, see your logic and Gay would only give on team option if he’s getting paid an outsized amount, as that’s huge risk for someone at his age vs. signing a two year deal now. Would max out at $35-$37mm over two years in that case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope it's true Gay will be back. He may need some - dare I say it - load management through the season to keep his feet and ankles together, tho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t want the 2nd year out of SA control either.
    Optimally, yeah. If they need to go to two years to strike a deal, I'd be okay with that -- especially since the alternative is essentially losing him for nothing. But I don't want three years under any cir stances.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would he do that in such an injury riddled league/sport?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The same people complaining would be saying "look everyone is jumping ship!" if Joto signed elsewhere.

He'll be a good mentor for Rui, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    13.7 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 2.6 apg, 40% from three, 50% FG%-- $12 mil for his production is totally reasonable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3 years guaranteed incoming! Probably 36 million with a player option.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Got it, see your logic and Gay would only give on team option if he’s getting paid an outsized amount, as that’s huge risk for someone at his age vs. signing a two year deal now. Would max out at $35-$37mm over two years in that case.
    Yup. And that’s what I’m saying. Pay him his max in year one (which I don’t think he would get normally - maybe 12-14). He gives SA the 2nd year option because of that since he should easily be able to net positive if SA waives him year 2 by signing with another team then

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Optimally, yeah. If they need to go to two years to strike a deal, I'd be okay with that -- especially since the alternative is essentially losing him for nothing. But I don't want three years under any cir stances.

Sure but if SA isn’t going to extend DeRozan or LMA and they know that, but can’t trade them because they can’t find a palatable deal is losing Gay that big of a deal?

If SA is moving on from DeRozan/LMA after next season there’s no reason to worry about keeping Gay; if they are keeping DeRozan/LMA then 2 years makes sense.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it is what it is. People are trying hard as to justify that dude ill never buy into it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Use those Bird rights and pay him for 2 years.

Right now, Spurs are a much better team when Rudy is on the floor and playing well.

Just don't give him a ing Gasol contract.
    In the regular season, yeah.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the regular season, yeah.
    Correct.
    2 more years for a player who is unplayable in the post season?
    The Spurs decline continues...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was, like, the worst Spur in the playoffs, so yeah, sure, let's re-sign the bas .

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty much reaffirms that Bertans is probably the one being most actively shopped right now and is most likely gone this summer.

Makes sense from an FO perspective after his playoff run and never being a Pop guy. (Bert hasn't been thrilled about his playing time as well).

It'll be a mistake tho as I think he's going to be a much better rotation player than Forbes when we look back in 5 years. I think he'll be a really good piece for whatever team he ends up on next year...
    I've been saying that sense the Spurs got eliminated. He will be packaged with another player and one of the picks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm going to guess 3yr/36mil, probably a player option on the final year.
    That sounds like a bargain compare to Gasol 19mil

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know the idea is boring, but bringing the same squad with Rudy back together, plus adding another wing such as Carroll, Reggie Bullock via free agency is not a bad idea. There’s no true front runner next year. GSW might not even make the playoffs, the rockets are a sinking ship, kawhi might not even go back to Toronto. I think the league is wide open next year. I think there’s potential in making a le run.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3 years / $42 million, just wait
    Good guess, I was going to say 3 years 45mi

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know the idea is boring, but bringing the same squad with Rudy back together, plus adding another wing such as Carroll, Reggie Bullock via free agency is not a bad idea. There’s no true front runner next year. GSW might not even make the playoffs, the rockets are a sinking ship, kawhi might not even go back to Toronto. I think the league is wide open next year. I think there’s potential in making a le run.
    I’m good with this - I just want max flexibility. If it’s a 2 year plan with DeRozan & LMA I’m fine with Rudy for 2 years too. I just don’t want a situation with Rudy and no DeRozan/LMA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what they should do. I agree not more than 2 years and it should be under 15 million per year. I'm just interested if the Bogdanović rumors are real cause I don't see a way to sign the guy unless they trade DeRozan

Thread Information