near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is it that this guy looks like an all world superstar year after year game after game against mostly NBA players in international play but appears with the spurs as a mediocre level point guard who is streaky as ? Is there that much difference in the rules? Is the level of compe ion that drastically lower? Neither of those things appear to be that different to equal the difference in his level of play. Is there somone on the boomers squad that makes Patty into something else and if so what do the spurs need to do to get that level of 50 million dollar man?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because he is a mediocre level NBA player. No. Yes. No.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because he is the first option on offense in Australian National team..on the spurs he is just a role player..more touches means more stats..simple as that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills is avg 12ppg at 50% shooting 44% deep. His amazing 2014 run, he was avg less, and shot tiny bit worse. He is playing well. The bench is actually playing really well despite getting nothing from Beli.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Strange timing. Patty is actually having his best season in 4 or 5 years. He's shooting well, his advanced stats are very decent, except for defense obviously. His role is not a problem at all, there are a ton of other issues with this team before you turn your attention to Mills.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty is actually not the problem this year. He seems to be one of the only guys with energy and fire right now. Even given his shortcomings, he’s shooting a good clip and is trying to win ballgames. Besides defense being a major issue, this team seems bored, unmotivated, going through the motions. At least Patty is acting like these games matter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure Mills will revert to his usual awful self as he starts to run empty on gas, but he isn't the one who deserves the most anger lately.

I'm looking at you Aldridge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills is avg 12ppg at 50% shooting 44% deep. His amazing 2014 run, he was avg less, and shot tiny bit worse. He is playing well. The bench is actually playing really well despite getting nothing from Beli.
    Less than nothing. Marco is a super liability.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Strange timing. Patty is actually having his best season in 4 or 5 years. He's shooting well, his advanced stats are very decent, except for defense obviously. His role is not a problem at all, there are a ton of other issues with this team before you turn your attention to Mills.
    Actually, Patty might bring a nice return if traded to a team that needed 3-point shooting. If you want to sell high... Although I know Pop doesn't.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's not a big difference in the rules, but there is a difference in the way the game is called. That's at least part of it. In FIBA play, it's not uncommon for Patty to get 7,8,9 FT's in a game. Even if you look at it on a per-36 minute basis, he gets to the line a lot more in FIBA play. And it's not just the points from the FT's. Getting a chance to sink a couple of freebies can settle a shooter down and turn a bad night into a much better night.

I know some people will scream, but the overall level of talent/athleticism is higher in the NBA - if for no other reason, it gets some of the best international players plus the cream of the USA crop. More athletic freaks of nature, more guys with wingspans much longer than their height. And that means more guys who can victimize a guy who is a weak PG and/or a VERY undersized 2 guard.

And there's the real problem with Patty. He isn't a combo guard - he's a neither guard. The differences in NBA play don't have to be that great for him to get undressed more often.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty is doing well this year because he is playing the role he was meant to play. He isn't a point guard and he certainly isn't a starting point guard. He is a supersub scorer off the bench that can change the pace and bring energy in spurts. He isn't the one you want playing 32 minutes a game and responsible for initiating the offense. Last year was not a great role for him. This year, he's doing what he does best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty hasn’t been the problem this year and I’m pleasantly surprised by his start of the season. Sure he can’t defend worth , but if he were paired with Derrick or DJ instead of Forbes and Belli then this wouldn’t really matter. He is having his best shooting year of his career and has really picked up his play as of late.

The way I see it, we have 4 main problems: LMA is playing like a lazy POS, Demar is our closer, Pop’s rotations, and everything Marco

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty is doing well this year because he is playing the role he was meant to play. He isn't a point guard and he certainly isn't a starting point guard. He is a supersub scorer off the bench that can change the pace and bring energy in spurts. He isn't the one you want playing 32 minutes a game and responsible for initiating the offense. Last year was not a great role for him. This year, he's doing what he does best.
    this

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funnily enough Patty may be our most consistent player so far

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty is doing his job. After 12 games he leads the entire team in +/- and he gets paid $15 million less than DeRozan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. Thats what he was in 2014 and thats what hes doing today. Its great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So we should sell high, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if Mills were in the starting lineup but Marco on the bench, wed be ing about him and Marco would have a career year. That seems plausible.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    true true

a separate argument is whether his proper role is worth $50Mills

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty is a decent backup PG that is paid too much. Not an overly complicated situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Except defense is a pretty big deal, but yeah, you are correct. Normally role players should be covered up for their weaknesses the problem unfortunately is this roster cannot do that. He sucks at PG and defense, but he’s playing really well overall and is no where near a problem; especially if this team were built better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of Pop's favs; corporate knowledge; leftover from the 2014 Championship; great lockeroom guy; great rah-rah guy on the bench and court; brings energy to the team when he plays; okay combo guard; good 3 point shooter when he's in rhythm. Not tall enough for NBA standards; not a good defender, but he's pesky; he thrives better off of screens, play making situations and ball movement; can use his speed and craftiness to get the basket, unless there's a good paint defender and shot blocker. At the end of the day, Patty, while he may be mediocre in some areas of his game, and may be overpaid for it, and yes, it may hard for us fans to see his value to this team, yet there are some intangibles that he brings to the team as well, that may not show up in the stats and scoreboards, that I would assume that this team and PATFO value the most. As fans, there's a love/hate affair with him, but like him or not, I really don't see him going anywhere soon, in my opinion.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because he is the first option on offense in Australian National team..on the spurs he is just a role player..more touches means more stats..simple as that.
    This. People should recognize this when they talk about DeRozan's scoring average.

Thread Information