Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A glorified BJ Armstrong just scored 53 (and counting) points in a playoff game.

Get in here lefty

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isaiah Thomas having a better year than A**** I****** ever had

tbh

today's nba

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beautiful basketball. Just amazed by the skill and all around play by today's Nba.

Let's face it. Every past Nba champion up until 2010 is obsolete.

This is the 3rd golden era of basketball- The Bronze Age

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That Wall vs Thomas matchup is actually entertaining though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isaiah Thomas having a better year than A**** I****** ever had

tbh

today's nba
    I can't stand A.I.s style of play, but he would average 40 in today's game.

BJ Armstrong Jr. was essentially Lou Williams for most of his career until 2015, when Wardell and Co. "changed the game."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rockets display last night was a thing of beauty, besides our team being the one getting their ass kicked.

Tonights Celtics Wizards game was one of the best playoff games I'v seen.

It's not poor defense, but exquisite offense. The talent level now is light years ahead from even 10 years ago. I'm convinced 60% of players from the 90s wouldn't make an Nba roster now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rockets display last night was a thing of beauty, besides our team being the one getting their ass kicked.

It's not poor defense, but exquisite offense. The talent level now is light years ahead from even 10 years ago. I'm convinced 60% of players from the 90s wouldn't make an Nba roster now.
    Yup

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

A lot of those players who were scrubs a half-decade or more ago are now fringe all-star players

Trevor Ariza is probably out of the league now if the 3 point line didn't resurrect his career.

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Man, 50+ on Wall and Beal is ludicrous!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No.

Isaiah Thomas - Lou Williams/Bobby Jackson level player magically turned into one of the best players in the league following 2015 (a key year here).

Trevor Ariza. Journeyman wing who is now outplaying Kawhi Leonard in playoff games.

Eric Gordon. Once an injury bust. Now is one of the most dangerous 6th men in the league.

George Hill. Always a talented scorer, but was too much of a tweener to flourish. Now is one of the better scoring PGs in the league.

"Today's NBA" has propped up chucking scrubs while actually punishing players who develop all around skillsets (post-play, dribble-post, mid-range game, etc).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Today's NBA" has propped up chucking scrubs while actually punishing players who develop all around skillsets (post-play, dribble-post, mid-range game, etc).
    If you watch how kids are imitating this garbage in college and high school one might conclude that we are entering a Dark Age. With the utter lack of post play and total reliance on jumpers, junior high girls basketball has become the universal norm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't stand A.I.s style of play, but he would average 40 in today's game.

BJ Armstrong Jr. was essentially Lou Williams for most of his career until 2015, when Wardell and Co. "changed the game."
    A.I. would not drop 40ppg in today's nba with no 3pt shot

And I think you give the dubs too much credit, as great as they are. They just perfected the formula. The league had been trending toward this from the SSOL Suns, to the 2011 Mavs, to the LeBron Heatles, to the 2014 Spurs and finally ofc the Dubs. Shooters, shooters, shooters. Spurs were on the right path, but Pop chose to take a chance on LMA and Iso ball...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No.

Isaiah Thomas - Lou Williams/Bobby Jackson level player magically turned into one of the best players in the league following 2015 (a key year here).

Trevor Ariza. Journeyman wing who is now outplaying Kawhi Leonard in playoff games.

Eric Gordon. Once an injury bust. Now is one of the most dangerous 6th men in the league.

George Hill. Always a talented scorer, but was too much of a tweener to flourish. Now is one of the better scoring PGs in the league.

IT showed flashes but never had the opportunity, playing for cancerous orgs like the Suns and Kings. He was 20ppg guy in his third year.

Ariza has been a solid player ever since establishing himself on that Lakers championship team lol at 6-8 220, playing Good D, and spotting up he would've always had a team willing to pay him. 3 and D players aren't new.

Eric Gordon, always was a good player, like you said, injuries..

George Hill is the same guy he always was, just with a bigger role. H put up similar stats with Indiana when PG was out.

If we're attributing a specific season to the reason teams are pushing for more 3s, then I'd say 2014 Spurs was way more influential. No true star player, but with a bunch of shooters, beat the repeat Miami Heat. Teams can look at that team and try to replicate it easier than the 2015-current warriors that have Steph/Klay/Draymond.

As advanced stats became more popular this was bound to happen. 3s and layups are the most efficient shots in basketball.

And honestly, how many teams have imitated it the small ball warrior ball? Houston? Cavs? That's it. Clippers still run two bigs, Spurs still run two bigs, Thunder run two bigs, Raptors run two bigs, and their premier scorer doesn't shoot threes. Celtics have gone small in the playoffs, but started Amir Johnson all year. Bucks maybe?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A glorified BJ Armstrong just scored 53 (and counting) points in a playoff game.

Get in here lefty
    BJ would have outscored Paxson 65-60 pts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IT showed flashes but never had the opportunity, playing for cancerous orgs like the Suns and Kings. He was 20ppg guy in his third year.

Ariza has been a solid player ever since establishing himself on that Lakers championship team lol at 6-8 220, playing Good D, and spotting up he would've always had a team willing to pay him. 3 and D players aren't new.

Eric Gordon, always was a good player, like you said, injuries..

George Hill is the same guy he always was, just with a bigger role. H put up similar stats with Indiana when PG was out.

If we're attributing a specific season to the reason teams are pushing for more 3s, then I'd say 2014 Spurs was way more influential. No true star player, but with a bunch of shooters, beat the repeat Miami Heat. Teams can look at that team and try to replicate it easier than the 2015-current warriors that have Steph/Klay/Draymond.

As advanced stats became more popular this was bound to happen. 3s and layups are the most efficient shots in basketball.

And honestly, how many teams have imitated it the small ball warrior ball? Houston? Cavs? That's it. Clippers still run two bigs, Spurs still run two bigs, Thunder run two bigs, Raptors run two bigs, and their premier scorer doesn't shoot threes. Celtics have gone small in the playoffs, but started Amir Johnson all year. Bucks maybe?
    A key difference between those Spurs and the modern 3 point heavy teams is that those Spurs created open 3s through ball movement via an inside-out strategy. In addition to that, they only averaged about 21 threes per game. Conversely, teams like the Warriors and Rockets primarily create 3s off the dribble and picks. Penetration comes through defenders trying to run players off the 3 point line. Basically: Outside-in.

Here's the primary reason I'm a critic of "Today's NBA" (as I said in another thread):

Yeah, a lot of basketball fans don't see the end-game here. Post-play (basketball's most intriguing and "beautiful" skill) is pretty much obsolete, which means that in due time big men will be obsolete, on both the offense and defensive ends since switching is required more than ever. Eventually, we'll just see a bunch of 6'7" players on the floor, aka "positionless" basketball. This sucks, because one of the unique things about basketball is it's the only sport human beings who are 6'11 and taller can play consistently at the highest levels. Yeah, you have your Randy Johnsons and I think Aussie Rules has some 7 footers, but basketball is the one sport where being that tall is considered an advantage. Most other sports it's considered a detriment.

The modern game is cool for vine loops, though. I guess that's all that matters.
    Only a matter of time before the whole league goes small. We've all played basketball here, I'm assuming. Making a 3 pointer isn't significantly harder than making a 17 footer. Only reason guys don't have that range is because they don't practice it. Point is, great 3 pointing shooting isn't a mercurial skill only "once-in-a-generation" players have. Training methods are better than ever and before long, every player on the floor will be a 3 point threat. Everything will be outside-in, meaning post-play/midrange=finally dead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A key difference between those Spurs and the modern 3 point heavy teams is that those Spurs created open 3s through ball movement via an inside-out strategy. In addition to that, they only averaged about 21 threes per game. Conversely, teams like the Warriors and Rockets primarily create 3s off the dribble and picks. Penetration comes through defenders trying to run players off the 3 point line. Basically: Outside-in.

Here's the primary reason I'm a critic of "Today's NBA" (as I said in another thread):

Only a matter of time before the whole league goes small. We've all played basketball here, I'm assuming. Making a 3 pointer isn't significantly harder than making a 17 footer. Only reason guys don't have that range is because they don't practice it. Point is, great 3 pointing shooting isn't a mercurial skill only "once-in-a-generation" players have. Training methods are better than ever and before long, every player on the floor will be a 3 point threat. Everything will be outside-in, meaning post-play/midrange=finally dead.
    You raise a valid point, IE the Bucks are trying that right now, although I think there will always be at least one big on the floor for rim protection.

But I think the end game will be you'll just have more skilled, mobile big men(Gobert, AD, Blake, etc). Look at Euros, they've been shooting threes since forever and haven't went to positionless bball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You raise a valid point, IE the Bucks are trying that right now, although I think there will always be at least one big on the floor for rim protection.

But I think the end game will be you'll just have more skilled, mobile big men(Gobert, AD, Blake, etc). Look at Euros, they've been shooting threes since forever and haven't went to positionless bball.
    My philosophy is that bigs should play "big." It was a cute novelty when Sabonis would shoot 3s, but watching a big meticulously work the post is a lot more interesting than watching him shoot 3s and jumpers.

That's what gives basketball its "character." You have 5 positions that require five different body builds and playstyles. A team full of Giannises would be dull. Now, Giannises don't grow on trees, so we'll probably never see a 5 man unit composed of 6'7" players in that mold, but I predict SFs will be interchangeable with PFs and Cs on most NBA rosters in the next decade. Your bigs have to be able to switch now, more than ever.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Get in here lefty
    Don't forget the glorified Joe Barry Carroll's four points in a playoff game last night

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ............ Dat lil would have been laid out after rolling through the lane uncontested back in the day. That would have stopped and Isaiah would have had 23pts tops.

Todays NBA

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    50 3 point attempts in a game being a winning strategy
    Harden's got rip through move getting called
    midgets like Wardell and IT dominating
    today's NBA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Her sisters ghost carryin the ball into the basket imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    50 3 point attempts in a game being a winning strategy
    Harden's got rip through move getting called
    midgets like Wardell and IT dominating
    today's NBA
    not to mention Thomas got ref protection

Brent Price would be an MVP candidate in today's NBA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thomas was great last night but that carries the ball every trip down the floor. He holds it in his right hand for a couple seconds right in front of the ref, after picking up his dribble, then starts dribbling again. How are you supposed to guard someone who's allowed to do that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My philosophy is that bigs should play "big." It was a cute novelty when Sabonis would shoot 3s, but watching a big meticulously work the post is a lot more interesting than watching him shoot 3s and jumpers.

That's what gives basketball its "character." You have 5 positions that require five different body builds and playstyles. A team full of Giannises would be dull. Now, Giannises don't grow on trees, so we'll probably never see a 5 man unit composed of 6'7" players in that mold, but I predict SFs will be interchangeable with PFs and Cs on most NBA rosters in the next decade. Your bigs have to be able to switch now, more than ever.
    That kind of thinking is why teams become antiquated. Teams experiment with things and find something that works. That's what basketball is about, adjustments. That's why the playoffs are more exciting to watch. Any team can win a game, but only the best team wins a series. It doesn't matter what combination you use as long as it's effective against your opponents. Basketball purity is just an imaginary construct.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not to mention Thomas got ref protection

Brent Price would be an MVP candidate in today's NBA
    Kevin johnson, shariff abdul rauf and scott skiles would be co-co-mvps tbh

Thread Information