My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still Gino

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. El Quatro is probably the most fun to watch, because of the chaos and it's interesting that Manu is mentoring him. Still waiting for a game similar to that Houston game a few years ago where he exploded in front of Harden and crew.

2. Dejounte - slick watching him on the court. The fact that he is an all around offensive and defensive threat is what makes him special. Just hoping for more consistency (he probably had the worst shooting night in last night's blowout against the Lakers)

3. Landale - seems to do a lot in limited minutes. hopes he locks in the back up 5 role as he has steady production and floor spacing.

Special one game mention:

KBD - how can you go perfect from 3 with that form?!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just glad DDR is gone
    Wish pop was gone
    The rest of the team except Forbes is likable

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJ, Keldon, Vassell, Tre Jones and to a lesser extent Jak. DJ has been my favourite Spur since 2017. He built different. No one else on this roster moves the needle for me. All rounding errors to me.

White and Walker I’m selling hard. Don’t see what you all see in Primo.
    In one of the preseason games, Primo had the ball above the break on the left side, did a jab step dribble, crossed over moving backwards, and nailed a step back 3. That’s not something you see from many 18 YOs on any level, let alone at the NBA level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray, Jak, Vassell

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In one of the preseason games, Primo had the ball above the break on the left side, did a jab step dribble, crossed over moving backwards, and nailed a step back 3. That’s not something you see from many 18 YOs on any level, let alone at the NBA level.
    Agreed, that was a impressive.

I think we're just starting to see players in the league who grew up trying to imitate Curry in their pre-teen years. Primo was 12 when Curry and the Warriors climbed the mountain in 2014-2015. Before Curry, maybe the Rockets version of Harden, players just didn't make moves like that.

And with DDR we saw first-hand how a not-so-old dog refused to learn new tricks (shooting threes). I think the league-wide increase in 3PAr is going to continue for a while.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJ
    Devin
    Primo
    White/Lonnie/Jakob

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJ because unlike most of you farmers I’ve always believed in him

Vassell

KJ

Primo

Portal

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DWhite everybody else second except Bryn. Always have a soft spot for the underrated or under-utilised as in Lonnie and Jock .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jock was my fave player in his season in the Australia league.

Couldn't believe my luck when the Spurs signed him

Still my fave

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJ is definitely my favorite player on this team.
    I really enjoy aggressive Lonnie Walker and he seems to finally put it together. He just got so much untapped potential.
    Would love to see more Primo, he’s just super exciting.
    Like to see what Jock can bring to the team and I like him a lot.

I‘m not really ranking them, I enjoy watching this team as long as Eubanks and Forbes ain’t on the court

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In descending order:

Fathead Jr.--team player who sacrifices body on defense, slick passer and finisher, can do a bit of everything.
    DJM--tremendous growth and leadership from his early days, aggression, great at ude.
    Vassell--Potential 2-way star. Seems to have the prototype skill set and physical attributes to excel.
    Jock--What's not to like.
    KJ--Energy, energy and energy.
    Poetl--Much improved finishing on the offensive end and great team defender.
    LW4--Smooth offensive style and effortless jump shot.
    Forbes--Comedic relief.
    Last edited by 8sy21vd; 12-26-2021 at 02:38 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Change of tune... Landale just because since he's seen real minutes he's catapulted the Spurs to another level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like to say DJM, but I’ve been waiting for Jock to play all season and he does not disappoint. And Jock checks off ALL the things that the Spurs have been looking for the last couple of years, rebound, hassle, big body to box out, motor, range, and finally he’s playing. Just a pure joy to finally watch Jock play.

DJM is transcending his game to the next level and as the head of the snake. Without a doubt he has the most “dog-at ude” and willingness to carry the team.

After last game, I’ll put Keldon in 3rd. I never doubted his “dog at ude,” and I know he likes to punish the rim every time, but when he starts hitting consistent 3’s, he becomes a totally different beast. Playing the SF might not be a long-shot for Keldon after all.

Diop. I know at #4 is a little too high for everybody, but Diop is playing great as a starting PF, and could be the answer to Keldon sliding to the SF position. Diop can shoot the 3, can defend bigger PF, rebound, put backs, switch coverages. Diop can do all the little things to allow the Spurs to play better defense and slide to their natural positions, and he can also score! Diop can easily be a Diaw who completes the puzzle (might be a stretch to some ).

Poeltl’s offense is really a significant factor this season. I like that he continues to cut strong to the basket and make those floaters. I see him playing aggressive, at times even dunking the ball. But if you watch Jock play, one probably wishes he’s 7 footer. I leave it at that.

White. I wish I could put him higher. He is very skilled, very fluid, those spin moves are Tony-esque. If he plays consistent, without a doubt Spurs are well-above a playoff team. I need him to be agry. I need him to demand the ball more and take over games. I think if he really wants it, we’re talking about Derrick as the leader of this team, instead of DJM. Now I wish he could at least be a Mario Elie.

Primo does not disappoint. The kid is a young “Iceman,” just ice flowing in his veins. He is not afraid of the moment, and probably think he’s 28 instead of 18.

Lonnie could be very high, if he were consistent. I think he’s earned his contract as the 6th man, just hopefully nobody’s fool enough to offer him starter’s salary, because he could be very exciting to watch. I’m still hopeful Manu continues to work with him.

Devin is my favorite young player still, but somehow he hit the wall this season. He still has the smoothest shots, and he seems to float on air, plus Spurs’ potential lockdown defender. Like Derrick, I like this kid to be angry, don’t settle for anything less. Devin could easily be the starting SF if he wanted to.

Tre is a pure PG, and one of the better bball IQ in the squad. You know the play will run smoothly with him on the court, like an extension of Pop. He’s not scared to attack the rim if necessary. If this kid figures out how to shoot the 3, damn.

McBucket. Last night was a natural fit for him at SG. Why do knockdown shooters are so bad with defense, like a punter even? Is it because they only practice shooting? But all I ask whenever he’s in is to shoot it at 40%, and not be shy about it. I’ll put Forbes in here to save a space.

That’s how I would rank them from my favorite to least, based on their performance so far. Ewwbanks, meh. I thought he was going to start shooting the 3 at the start of the season. I think Coach Chip gave up on that
    Last edited by John B; 12-27-2021 at 11:31 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    with last night's route, the spurs became the only team outside of the top five in the west with a + point differential.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would only be repeating the same sentiments that have already been shared, but yeah...my top 3 right now are probably Murray, Poeltl, and White. Jock may be vying for a spot if he keeps this up.

Watching Murray grow into the alpha has been impressive. White has turned it around after a sluggish start and is playing his most confident basketball in what feels like years. Poeltl is worth every dime of his contract even if he isn't putting up 20 points a night.

I'm still on the fence with Lonnie...he has looked much better recently, so he is starting to turn me around.

McBuckets has shown pretty much what I expected. Shooting 40%+ on threes on 5 attempts per game. Moves well and cuts hard, reminiscent of Belinelli. Not great on defense, but also not as bad as advertised.

Vassell has shown great potential on both sides of the floor, just needs to let his game mature and he will be a valuable player in this league within the next year or two.

Landale has probably been the most pleasant surprise this season so far...after dealing with concussion protocols, COVID protocols, and the standard GLeague delegation...he has come in and immediately made a difference. Can't wait to watch him play more. Hopefully, Primo is on the same train.

Overall, I'm just pleased by the progress of this young team. We all knew the schedule was brutal in the first 10-15 games, so we shouldn't have been surprised at the slow start. Even then, those games were mostly compe ive which we all should recognize as a good sign despite the poor record.

As the season has progressed, the defense has gotten better and the offense is actually reaching record peaks. Very impressive from a young team that was basically starting from scratch after their old system (a.k.a. throw the ball in to Aldridge or DeRozan, let Patty shoot threes) was scrapped.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've loved watching the whole team. It's really a "team" which is so rare in the NBA these days.

Amazing that our only 30 point scorer this year is Bates-Diop, who averages like 3-4 pts per game. Pretty cool.

Gone are the days of watching DDR dribble out 17 seconds of the shot clock, or seeing Patty come in and play hero-ball. This team has been so fun to watch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've loved watching the whole team. It's really a "team" which is so rare in the NBA these days.

Amazing that our only 30 point scorer this year is Bates-Diop, who averages like 3-4 pts per game. Pretty cool.

Gone are the days of watching DDR dribble out 17 seconds of the shot clock, or seeing Patty come in and play hero-ball. This team has been so fun to watch.
    For sure. It's such a breath of fresh air. Even the close 4th quarter losses the team had earlier in the season, which were painful - it's so much more entertaining to watch the group try out new things, learn from mistakes, and get better for it, than it was to just know the ball was going to DeRozan in the 4th, for a dribble-double fake- contested midrange shot which clanked more often than not. The un-predictability alone is great.

I'll take this chance and rib at my guy Dex, who was seen during the first 10-15 games' gamethreads, joking around that the team was "expectedly" worse off without DDR, Gay, Mills, and "this is what y'all wanted", and stuff . Turns out the team's just as good, if not even better, at least ceiling wise... I wouldn't be surprised to see them make the play-in and even playoffs at this rate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll take this chance and rib at my guy Dex, who was seen during the first 10-15 games' gamethreads, joking around that the team was "expectedly" worse off without DDR, Gay, Mills, and "this is what y'all wanted", and stuff . Turns out the team's just as good, if not even better, at least ceiling wise... I wouldn't be surprised to see them make the play-in and even playoffs at this rate.
    Guilty as charged.

I failed to see how the team was going to pick up the scoring gap when players who accounted for like 50% of our scoring left (albeit on high usage), especially when some of our guys started off looking out of sorts.

The answer seems to be by committee. Spurs currently have 7 players averaging double-figures...I'm too lazy to look but that has to be close to the top in the NBA. Forbes isn't far behind at 8.1, and then you've got guys like Jock or KBD or Primo who could pop off for 15-20 points at any time.

I'm man enough to admit I'm wrong when the results are this fun to watch.
    Last edited by Dex; 12-27-2021 at 03:23 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This. Some folks seem to have their favorites but at the expense of others. This "TEAM" for the most part has been fun to watch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speaking of the team, no one else is glad none of the players play dirty as and/or are primadonnas? I am glad I’m not a Lakers or Mavericks fan. Such en led pieces of .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speaking of the team, no one else is glad none of the players play dirty as and/or are primadonnas? I am glad I’m not a Lakers or Mavericks fan. Such en led pieces of .
    I was just going to say I really like this team. Probably my favorite in a while. Doesn't seem to be an Donkey's Butt among them.
    To date they are on a pace to really surprise me. I predicted mid 20s win total-but at present rate maybe mid 30s

Player wise
    Got to be DJM
    18 points and 8+ rebounds and assists. Not just that but low turnovers, great decision making. I didn't see this coming. The leadership was always there, but it's more impactful with his great play.
    The rest, I go back and forth- KJs energy and new found 3 point shooting. White with his somewhat unique style, Devin's potential, KBD career persistence...
    Poeltl and now Jock.
    Heck even Lonnie is starting to win me over.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJs tragectory has been fun to watch. Love the players who continue to work and add to their games despite some inherent limitations.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell, primo, poeltl, djm, keldon

Jock?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guilty as charged.

I failed to see how the team was going to pick up the scoring gap when players who accounted for like 50% of our scoring left (albeit on high usage), especially when some of our guys started off looking out of sorts.

The answer seems to be by committee. Spurs currently have 7 players averaging double-figures...I'm too lazy to look but that has to be close to the top in the NBA. Forbes isn't far behind at 8.1, and then you've got guys like Jock or KBD or Primo who could pop off for 15-20 points at any time.

I'm man enough to admit I'm wrong when the results are this fun to watch.
    Yeah, I myself am still not convinced by any "committee" offense, I don't really see it standing up through multiple playoff runs. You need a guy who can be "that guy" and step over consistently, which was a revelation to see DJ try to become. The team as-is is very balanced, but I'd love for them to get another top pick this season in order to "round out" the young core and get a big man prospect who can be offensively reliable (we really lack that in bigs).

Definitely more fun to watch than any of the DeRozan years teams, even without that guy, though. At this point, I'm team "let the chips fall where they may" and let the ceiling of this team, wether playoffs or lottery, sort itself out.

Thread Information