Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unpopular opinion: No teams necessarily "wins" a trade. A trade isn't a zero-sum compe ion. Both parties make the exchange because both believe they will be better off by doing it.

Sure, one team may get more value than another. But that doesn't mean they "won" the trade because that would imply the other team lost. And the other team wouldn't make the trade in the first place if they didn't believe they would be better off doing it.

"believing" you are better off doesnt make you better off. nobody decides who won or lost a trade based on how the two teams "feel" about it

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't want them to keep White. I wanted them to trade for other players using them rather than just for nebulous value. That's even more true considering I think the pick will be in the 20s. It could work out, but I want trades like with Hill where they target guys and get them using players like White. I wouldn't've done a deal like this until the draft.
    Fair point. The flipside is that this may allow us to move up in the draft. But you’re being logical, which is good. I think most people are on a dopamine rush in seeing the Spurs do anything regarding trades.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The protections on that 2028 pick swap are going to be interesting. Hope we get the details soon.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't want them to keep White. I wanted them to trade for other players using them rather than just for nebulous value. That's even more true considering I think the pick will be in the 20s. It could work out, but I want trades like with Hill where they target guys and get them using players like White. I wouldn't've done a deal like this until the draft.
    Boston may not have the same need for White during the draft as now. There’s a clear need for someone exactly like him there, and they may not have been willing to do the same package then. This also allows you more time to evaluate Langford.

In other words, I think they cashed out at White’s peak value.

Plus this frees more playing time - if Richardson isn’t in long term plans - for Primo/Vassell. And let’s you make a call on Walker.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn’t he guaranteed only like $4-5 M for next year?
    I’m curious about this. I haven’t been able to find a definitive source.

Spotrac has it fully guaranteed, and Capulator (which really needs to be updated!) shows him expiring this year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. Didn't see it coming for all the obvious reasons . . .

- Richardson has actually had his best season in a while and probably starts at the two (Vassell?) before likely being rerouted for more draft capital in the off season.

- Langford is injury prone, but a credible wing defender with his 3 (small sample size) showing progress. Not a bad flyer with Walker IV on the verge of being shown the door.

- Between seemingly Poeltl, their own top 5-10 1st, the likely Raptors one in the same range as the Celtics one and the Lakers 2nd, they could actually be major players in the draft.

- If Murray doesn't want to stick through a re-build, that's fine. He's not good enough to not do what they perceive as best for the long term because of how he might react.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Langford is just 22 years old with a 7' wingspan.
    Richardson is a year older than White but 2" taller and shooting .397 from 3 this season.

None of these two are playmakers.

But Spurs could be clearing room for Primo.

So they cashed in when White's stock was highest and they had a better (hopefully) replacement in the wings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boston may not have the same need for White during the draft as now. There’s a clear need for someone exactly like him there, and they may not have been willing to do the same package then. This also allows you more time to evaluate Langford.

In other words, I think they cashed out at White’s peak value.

Plus this frees more playing time - if Richardson isn’t in long term plans - for Primo/Vassell. And let’s you make a call on Walker.
    We don't know if this is White's peak value, because the return isn't set. Boston may only be giving a JAG, a scrub and a late pick. And if the Spurs missed out on that return, it would do little long - term harm. The team had four years of White; they didn't have to worry about Boston not wanting him this summer. Just keep him and move on.

I do like it way more if Primo gets the starting nod now. Two-guard has become a draftable position again, and the Spurs getting more time to decide if Primo is a blue-chipper is good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like White but this is the right move 10 times out of 10

He’s injury prone and not a perfect fit with Murray. He’s also getting an average of $17.4 million each of the next three seasons.

Now the books are VERY clean heading into the off-season. You get White’s cap space back too.

I agree 100% with the statement above.

Derrick is a good player and seems like a good human being from the outside looking in, but this is a good trade for our rebuilding team and it also helps the Celtics

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like this. I didn't like white
    WOULD YOU SAY HE WAS THA JUICE OF A DUMPSTA?

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What does all of this mean for Orb Forbes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brian Wright kicked ass today!!!

i’m looking even more forward to the draft after this. I hope Primo and Devin stay aggressive now that they will get more minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're all gots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're all gots.
    It's true.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not to on the trade but what exactly did we cash in on?

A 19-25 range pick isn’t going to be better than White. Richardson isn’t better than white and I don’t think the pick and Richardson is more easily traded than white if you wanted to move up into a top 12 pick.

If the move is about looking into the off-season then how is Richardson and the pick better than White? Seems to me we could have moved white for move this off-season than we’ll ever get for Richardson and the pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure how you can say a 19-25 pick isn't going to be better than white when it very well may be better than white.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're all gots.
    You're the one who came to our party rob

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wish White the best but really like this trade.

Fringe benefit: Lakers wanted Richardson, so..
    Last edited by callo1; 02-10-2022 at 06:25 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m curious about this. I haven’t been able to find a definitive source.

Spotrac has it fully guaranteed, and Capulator (which really needs to be updated!) shows him expiring this year.

I also found nothing on sites like spotrac or hoopshype but i found this on twitter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie walker our new starting sg

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White's trade had as much to do with his age and salary as much as anything, perhaps his injury history, but those two other elements most.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, so the 2028 swap is only protected if the Celtics get the number one overall pick. Otherwise, the Spurs have the right to swap first rounders

Sure, it's a shot in the dark .... but that's an interesting asset to have on the books.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I'm not sure how you can say a 19-25 pick isn't going to be better than white when it very well may be better than white.
    Especially given White was a 29th pick.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Wow, so the 2028 swap is only protected if it's the number one overall pick.

Sure, it's a shot in the dark .... but that's an interesting asset to have on the books.
    The Celtics weren't going to let another Tim Duncan situation happen.

Thread Information