Post Count
    Ogbaji is 3 years older than Primo.
    I don't care about that. He's better

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't care about that. He's better
    I Hope he is after four years in NCAA... Agbaji ceilling is really good role player but not more imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I find it funny that people are panicking about a pick who's younger than most draft picks in this years draft and just played his first NBA season. Like what exactly do you expect? He played pretty decent defense and got the start at the end of the season. If he can improve offensively especially on his shooting he's on a good trajectory and as the other poster here said aside from Jones and Duarte there weren't any other players picked after Primo that I look and say "wow, why did we miss out on this guy?"

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I Hope he is after four years in NCAA... Agbaji ceilling is really good role player but not more imo
    That's Primo's ceiling. He'd wish to be as good as Agbaji is now.

Primo doesn't have the athleticism to be anything more. He is slow without burst and doesn't have a good vertical lift.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please dont panic. Remember 1st season of KB or Dirk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please dont panic. Remember 1st season of KB or Dirk
    The legendary Jerry West told Shaq he had drafted a kid with whom he'd go on to win multiple championships, before Kobe stepped foot on an NBA court. So let's not compare apples with oranges, shall we?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rascal ……….slow down kind sir. Primo will be cool.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s the only player on our roster with a reverse crossover step back three pointer. That’s a valuable skill in today’s NBA, the ability to create your own three pointer.

Of course he was a reach. It’s something the Spurs are going to have to do over and over until they hit one. The more clarity you have on a late lottery pick, the less likely they are to become a star. If that clarity says Star, they’re going
    in the first few picks. Otherwise, you likely have a nice support player. We have those already.
    hahah you remind me of Jim’s gf in American Pie. This one time at bandcamp Joshua Primo hit a step back 3.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kindly show me the game tape where he beat a single one of his defenders to the rack (when not on a put back or a close out). If you want him to replace DJ, then youre saying he's a point guard. Does any other team have a starting point guard that doesn’t at least occasionally beat his man (besides 38 yr old, but still very crafty Chris Paul)?

No man. He's not a guard, point or shooting. He's a wing player. And he might just turn into one of a wing player and if his handles and explosiveness improve by a wide margin, maybe a shooting guard down the road. But he'll never by a DJ replacement.
    I don’t recall White being explosive or a high flier. Nor was he the finished product he is now, even having 4 years of college. Derrick was our best facilitator despite not being a traditional PG, so much so that many here were calling for him over DJM.

Bottomline: He’s 19. Let’s check in during year 3 which is when our young guys take the jump.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The legendary Jerry West told Shaq he had drafted a kid with whom he'd go on to win multiple championships, before Kobe stepped foot on an NBA court. So let's not compare apples with oranges, shall we?
    He was still pretty awful as a rookie, especially in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was still pretty awful as a rookie, especially in the playoffs.
    Fact. Also a fact: He was undeniably athletic as .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs front office still believes Primo will be a star. We ought believe them because they’re the best front office in the NBA.
    They aren’t even a top 5 front office currently. This trade deadline was the first sign of competence we’ve seen in the last 5 years.
    Last edited by KingKev; 06-06-2022 at 06:17 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fact. Also a fact: He was undeniably athletic as .
    He never really struck me as über athletic, so, lacking any kind of combine measures, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We all agreed when he was drafted that he was a project player. 18 years old (at the time), played one slightly limited year of college ball, showed a lot of potential but also that he had a lot of work to do.

We seem to be on that same trajectory, so not sure why anyone is surprised after his first season. He showed some good things, but both his body and his game needs to mature.

Spent some time in the GLeague, actually got to play with the big club and even started some games. Sure, the results weren't always pretty but at least he was getting his chances. Sure, it would've been great if he automatically looked like the next Kobe or Manu...but that was never realistic.

I'm not at all worried about Primo right now. If he hasn't leveled up by the end of year 3, then I'll change my tune.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our best hope is Primo will develop enough to one day be part of a trade that brings in one of the guys that will make the Spurs a successful playoff team once, again.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the gut reaction from when we first picked him was confusion and anger. And then as Spurs fans we rapidly cycled through Kubler Ross's 5 Stages of Grief and accepted that this is who we have and have to make the best of it, then we understandably latched on to whatever glimmers of hope we could find. As Spurs fans we are going to try and find some hope with whatever player we draft until it's obvious the ship has sailed. The ship hasn't sailed yet, so to speak, for Primo so a lot is still possible. But his physical limitations are a big difference from prior young picks, especially Kobe, since his name gets thrown around a lot. Kobe was a fantastic athlete. Primo is not that. He can still make tremendous growth, but it's going to be make it harder without great athleticism that other young, raw prospects possessed.

To me, it throws the whole drafting philosophy into question, for the NBA, really. I still think you need enough information to feel confident drafting any player so high. Put another way, at a certain point I have more faith in a 23 year old Agbaji then a barely 18 year old Primo. Also, I wouldn't draft either at #10, or whatever it was.

But hey, it's a crapshoot. Primo looks like he will fit in with the SA mindset and expectations at least, whereas Sammich and Walker never did rise up to the challenge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the gut reaction from when we first picked him was confusion and anger. And then as Spurs fans we rapidly cycled through Kubler Ross's 5 Stages of Grief and accepted that this is who we have and have to make the best of it, then we understandably latched on to whatever glimmers of hope we could find. As Spurs fans we are going to try and find some hope with whatever player we draft until it's obvious the ship has sailed. The ship hasn't sailed yet, so to speak, for Primo so a lot is still possible. But his physical limitations are a big difference from prior young picks, especially Kobe, since his name gets thrown around a lot. Kobe was a fantastic athlete. Primo is not that. He can still make tremendous growth, but it's going to be make it harder without great athleticism that other young, raw prospects possessed.

To me, it throws the whole drafting philosophy into question, for the NBA, really. I still think you need enough information to feel confident drafting any player so high. Put another way, at a certain point I have more faith in a 23 year old Agbaji then a barely 18 year old Primo. Also, I wouldn't draft either at #10, or whatever it was.

But hey, it's a crapshoot. Primo looks like he will fit in with the SA mindset and expectations at least, whereas Sammich and Walker never did rise up to the challenge.
    23 YO Agbaji has been beating up on 18 and 19 YOs and taking their lunch money for at least 2 years. He’s a mirage.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo has a killer instinct & confidence rarely exhibited by an 18/19 year old. The kid will make a jump this year I’m thinking

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They aren’t even a top 5 front office currently. This trade deadline was the first sign of competence we’ve seen in the last 5 years.
    Really?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with Primo isn't really a player problem yet...but maybe of a bit of a perception problem. During our decades of of the big 3, all we ever drafted were players at the end of the draft. Nobody expected them to be great players but we did draft and develop a few all stars (eParker & ginobilli) and lots of decent high level role players, one even playing in or current championship game. As our big 3 retired and our draft pick position got better, the thinking was we are going to draft even better players.
    Maybe it was our expectation that a person drafted 12th should be better than someone drafted in the mid to late 20's. Sounds logical enough, but as we all know there have been many many busts drafted very early and pretty damn good players that were overlooked and drafted quite late.
    The point I'm trying to make is that all our rookies not named Duncan or Robinson both drafted #1, easily got at least a year or more to develop because they weren't lottery picks. Now that we are drafting in the lottery, maybe our expectations are that they should develop quicker or at least as much as our later picks....seems logical. Either way lets give the kid one more year to see if he develops incrementally much like Derrek White, DeJounte, Vassell and Keldon did. If he does great, if he doesn't, that's something the spurs coaching will have to seriously deal with. I certainly don't put him in the same category as Luka Sammich - that lazy euro slacker, but he should know that after one more season or so, the clock will be ticking on him no matter how young or talented he is or isn't. That is just a fair logical expectation from a team that was always used to winning with late drafted talent, but not so much with lottery level talent. Time will tell one way or the other, it always does.
    Last edited by jjspur; 06-06-2022 at 01:04 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From an article in the Athletic about possibilities of the Knicks moving up via the Spurs—and it briefly mentioned Spurs’ last 2 picks. Posting it since someone asked about non-fan perspective of him. I have no idea how to judge something like this myself.

Josh Primo, who many scouts think would be a top-seven level talent in this year’s draft, showed real improvement in the last quarter of the season.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was curious what a non-Spurs fan thought so I texted a scout employed by an NBA team who watched Primo in person both in G League and in the NBA . . .

Ouch, tbh
    From an article in the Athletic about possibilities of the Knicks moving up via the Spurs—and it briefly mentioned Spurs’ last 2 picks. Posting it since someone asked about non-fan perspective of him. I have no idea how to judge something like this myself.

Josh Primo, who many scouts think would be a top-seven level talent in this year’s draft, showed real improvement in the last quarter of the season.”

I guess this could be a good debate topic. If Portland calls and offers the 7th pick straight up for Primo, or New Orleans offers the same for the 8th... do you take it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5th pick for drafting Murray easy. Later … no

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean I would 100% take a 7th or 8th pick straight up for Primo. I can't imagine any team is going to do that and I don't trust that report at all. Primo showed some good things in his first season and he's young, but I think his value is nowhere near top 10 in the draft.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess this could be a good debate topic. If Portland calls and offers the 7th pick straight up for Primo, or New Orleans offers the same for the 8th... do you take it?
    The 7th pick will get you Sharpe, Mathurin or Murray so yes.

Thread Information