Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Raiders main beat writer not convinced that Trent Brown will be playing left tackle... thats nuts

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    There's really cheap kickers available like Aguayo and Walsh sitting on the open market. No need to pay that much for a kicker.
    Yeah I disagree that having an elite kicker isn't worth the extra few million given vs. having a cheap kicker who's available for the league minimum. Gostkowski in particular is worth the extra money because he's one of the most powerful kickoff legs in the NFL who consistently forces touchbacks, but given how many games are decided by made vs. missed field goals elite kickers are easily worth the value.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count

that's kind of asshole-ish considering the guy just provided really good pass protection to your 41 year old crown jewel en route to a championship ring.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    that's kind of asshole-ish considering the guy just provided really good pass protection to your 41 year old crown jewel en route to a championship ring.
    he's also incredibly fat and just got a lot of money

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    DeSean Jackson back in Philly. love that fit. they need the home run guy across alshon

their golden tate trade though...
    Golden Tate was a bad trade. They'll probably get a 4th round comp pick back for him. They're likely not to sign any new FAs which will hurt that formula. They'll lose Darby for a 3rd round comp pick. They'll decide between Jordan Hicks and CJ Mosley which will roughly cancel each other out regardless of which one they choose.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    he's also incredibly fat and just got a lot of money
    He is incredibly obese but he is an enormous, powerful man. It's hard for pass rushers to get around that big frame and they definitely cannot get through him on the bull rush.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Yeah I disagree that having an elite kicker isn't worth the extra few million given vs. having a cheap kicker who's available for the league minimum. Gostkowski in particular is worth the extra money because he's one of the most powerful kickoff legs in the NFL who consistently forces touchbacks, but given how many games are decided by made vs. missed field goals elite kickers are easily worth the value.
    I would tend to agree, but with a bad kicker the Pats would have still won this past SB, 7-3, because Jared Goof was a joke

Veteran
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    why didnt the Patriots resign Flowers

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    At that price tag he can right off tbh. It’s not like Belichick went cheap here, Patricia just went full re .
    agreed

+

Flowers and Bennett play the same position

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Terrell Suggs to Cardinals. Why? He won't find anything resembling a ring there. But he went to school at ASU.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Adam Humphries to the ans.

Biggest news today is the Landon Collins Redskins $14 million/year long term contract... mostly guaranteed, holy ! For a box safety who is mediocre at zone coverage.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    At that price tag he can right off tbh. It’s not like Belichick went cheap here, Patricia just went full re .
    I don't fault Flowers for taking that money though, you only have one chance to get paid before people realize you're the product of a system, and he took full advantage

seeing solder and brown get monster contracts in consecutive years, while the pats have their first round pick replacement waiting in the wings is just another sign that the pats are doing it right and will continue to succeed.
    That first round left tackle pick of the Pats is like 6'2 and coming off achilles plus also might have just sucked in the first place anyway so lets tap the brakes on blowing the Pats just yet

Pats should sign another Brown type veteran with potential in case that tackle sucks

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    That first round left tackle pick of the Pats is like 6'2 and coming off achilles plus also might have just sucked in the first place anyway so lets tap the brakes on blowing the Pats just yet
    He has 33'3/8" long arms (which matter more for the position than height), which are shorter than ideal for a tackle but not short enough to raise any red flags.

Would be a bigger concern except the other 4 starters are all coming back and have been playing as a unit for 3 full seasons now.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    im not saying he's going to be a star... but they're going about it the right way. it's why they're always compe ive. they rarely overpay and have backup plans in place. teams that are not only lacking a plan A but dont have backups in the wing are the ones who need to spend 16 million on the Trent Browns of the world

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    seems like once again the league is doing its best to make the pats look smarter

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    seems like once again the league is doing its best to make the pats look smarter
    It’s not a very good free agency class and there’s a load of cap room, this was bound to happen.

im not saying he's going to be a star... but they're going about it the right way. it's why they're always compe ive. they rarely overpay and have backup plans in place. teams that are not only lacking a plan A but dont have backups in the wing are the ones who need to spend 16 million on the Trent Browns of the world
    I would not have given him the contract either but he could play like he did last year and it would be a decent deal. meanwhile the achilles guy could be a scrub and this would be a disaster. Maybe they can get some veteran for depth who could surprise them like Brown did. Maybe that Penn guy you were talking about could be signed by the Pats and have a resurgence.

Believe.
    Post Count
    Everytime I see Carlos Hyde play he impresses me, as he moves from team to team.......hmmmm?

Believe.
    Post Count
    Nick Foles 4 seasons 88 mill, Jags.

Wentz will go down in week 6-9 and the Eagles will be sorry they let Foles go.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    I would not have given him the contract either but he could play like he did last year and it would be a decent deal. meanwhile the achilles guy could be a scrub and this would be a disaster. Maybe they can get some veteran for depth who could surprise them like Brown did. Maybe that Penn guy you were talking about could be signed by the Pats and have a resurgence.
    It wouldn’t be an awful deal if he duplicated last year but he’d still be overpaid. He was a good run blocker and an average pass blocker (especially against quicker pass rushers) and elite left tackles are generally getting paid for their pass blocking. IOW he was good but didn’t play well enough to warrant being the highest paid lineman in the NFL.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    It wouldn’t be an awful deal if he duplicated last year but he’d still be overpaid. He was a good run blocker and an average pass blocker (especially against quicker pass rushers) and elite left tackles are generally getting paid for their pass blocking. IOW he was good but didn’t play well enough to warrant being the highest paid lineman in the NFL.
    Agreed. With that huge frame though he was elite in run blocking, especially in power man blocking with Sony Michel.

The Pats o'line is going to be cooked soon enough when Thuney and Andrews (the heart and soul of that line) are up and due 10m+ each, Pats won't pay that much for those positions but someone will and the Pats will sorely regret losing them.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    Agreed. With that huge frame though he was elite in run blocking, especially in power man blocking with Sony Michel.

The Pats o'line is going to be cooked soon enough when Thuney and Andrews (the heart and soul of that line) are up and due 10m+ each, Pats won't pay that much for those positions but someone will and the Pats will sorely regret losing them.
    Mason is better than Thuney (Mason is the best guard no one talks about because of one missed block that came at the worst possible time, but he’s top 5 according to PFF), however agreed that Andrews is the most important player on the line. Mason is already signed long term and my guess is Andrews also signs long term while Thuney gets a huge deal somewhere else. If they lost Andrews they’d be in trouble with or without Thuney, which is why I think they keep him. Belichick is obviously willing to let players leave in free agency but he’s got a great sense for knowing when to stop the bleeding (ie, after the 2009 season when it looked like the Pats were ready to fall off a cliff, he ponied up the money Wilfork’s fat wife was asking for because it wasn’t a situation where they could afford to lose him).

Worst case scenario with Wynn is that if he doesn’t work at left tackle they move him inside when Thuney hits free agency a year from now, he might not have the length/size needed for a tackle but he could definitely play inside.

Belichick is also extremely overrated when it comes to drafting most positions (particularly receivers, pass rushers, corners or anyone who Urban Meyer recommends), but one thing he’s been able to do is find good interior o-line talent in the middle rounds.

Thread Information