Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is LDN going to get his jersey retired?
    I think he was close. Had he held up elite production until last year, he probably would be top-10 in franchise history in a fair number of stats. He'll have to remain with the team a few more years get back to at least an average level of play for him to get it at this point. That or be a huge cog in a le run this year or next year if he opts in. Having three bad years and then leaving on semi-bad terms just wouldn't be a huge blow to someone with an iffy resume.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Special team (even CoJo and Baynes got in those highlights.)
    I got nostalgic. Danny and Tony playing there like I haven’t seen them in some time. Also, I realized how much I’ve missed Kawhi too.
    That season was kind of similar to this one..they battled injuries and struggled throughout(Green, Duncan and Ginobili did heavy lifting as Parker and Kawhi missed key stretches with injuries)..

That Warriors game was the peak of optimism on this forum and around the NBA, though..after the Spurs blew them out that game, SA was probably the most hyped team in the league at the time, most picked them to win the West, as that game capped off a dominant stretch after Kawhi returned and became the go-to guy..

Then Splitter got hurt and the Pelicans game happened

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You look at that video and Danny gets clean catch and shoot looks..no leaning or having balance issues..he elevates quite a bit for a shooter who doesn’t explode off the dribble..

He’s a catch and shoot guy and if it ain’t clean it’s suspect..tbh I blame his lack of mechanics and a point guard or other players to set him up with clean looks..

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didnt Danny have laser eye surgery a few years back?
    Don't think he's shot the same ever since had that procedure done
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...ng-preformance

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know danny is NBA level...

But ive seen good shooters in pickup completely lose their shooting stroke because of a wrist or shoulder injury.

For a couple years now, he looks like hes always trying to compensate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That season was kind of similar to this one..they battled injuries and struggled throughout(Green, Duncan and Ginobili did heavy lifting as Parker and Kawhi missed key stretches with injuries)..

That Warriors game was the peak of optimism on this forum and around the NBA, though..after the Spurs blew them out that game, SA was probably the most hyped team in the league at the time, most picked them to win the West, as that game capped off a dominant stretch after Kawhi returned and became the go-to guy..

Then Splitter got hurt and the Pelicans game happened
    21-4 in last 25 games ...There were reasons for optimism.

Sadly, Tiago injury was a big factor against Blake/DJ frontcourt.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not worried about Danny yet, he can turn it around.

Tony on the other hand seems to be a lost cause, no sign of hope...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both are playing and doing their best unlike a certain franchise player, from there even if they were shooting 0% they are ok in my books earning their salary unlike a certain franchise player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both are playing and doing their best unlike a certain franchise player, from there even if they were shooting 0% they are ok in my books earning their salary unlike a certain franchise player

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didnt Danny have laser eye surgery a few years back?
    Don't think he's shot the same ever since had that procedure done
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...ng-preformance
    The excuses keep coming for the most protected player in franchise history

He had that eye surgery the year after shooting 33.2% from 3. Many here, including his biggest fanboy, thought that would solve his shooting woes but it didn't.

Why is it so hard to believe that maybe this guy doesn't work on his craft? It's been fairly obvious since day 1 that no one has ever accused him of being a gym rat.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's looked hurt for a while, but still, I can't remember ever seeing a player forget how to shoot at this level..he wasn't just a good shooter, he used to be among the elite in the league for years and one of the best playoff shooters of all-time..now he can't make anything, it's puzzling..

Outside of the 2016 playoffs and last year vs. the Rockets, it's been mostly below average to above average shooting for 3 years..
    For whatever reason, he stopped working on his shooting as much after 2014. Each off-season after that, he worked on other aspects more and shot just enough to maintain.

Very questionable train of thought.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The excuses keep coming for the most protected player in franchise history

He had that eye surgery the year after shooting 33.2% from 3. Many here, including his biggest fanboy, thought that would solve his shooting woes but it didn't.

Why is it so hard to believe that maybe this guy doesn't work on his craft? It's been fairly obvious since day 1 that no one has ever accused him of being a gym rat.
    So much about this post is wrong-headed. First because anyone who thought about it at all should have assumed Green's first bad year was an anomaly. The whole "I hated him the whole time" angle may have been correct in this case, but it was not a reasonable position to hold at the time. I'm also not sure how many people really thought LASIK was the solution; it was more like, "I hope that fixes it."

Second, the idea that Green wasn't a hard worker "since day 1" is wrong. Green became an elite shooter when he was a fringe-roster guy. There are plenty of articles talking about the work he did to craft that skill. I'm not saying he's currently working as hard as he can or should. But you don't luck into being an elite shooter for years on end.

At the same time, I don't necessarily buy that Green is hurt, or at least that that is the excuse. He doesn't seem any more injured now than he did during his good streaks. There was a time this year he was legit hurt, and that showed up in his defense. Maybe it's still affecting him, but it could also be age combined with subpar conditioning. We are talking about a 30-year-old here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could be characterized as a Tony apologist so let me stay true to form. Tony isn't getting his typical time off. Let's go with last year, at the tail end of the season Tony was DNP for a lot of games, but when the playoffs started his was back fresh and could be argued was the 2nd best Spur in last years playoffs even factoring in the injury. This year because of the Kiwi no show it has been all hands on deck. Very few DNP rests for anyone post all star break (Manu's recent one is the only one I recall) as team was struggling to just make the playoffs. Tony could have used a couple of days off but he suffered through for the team. When you factor in he is coming off a major injury, and yet still has participated in as many games as he has. Tony doing what he is doing this year, for Manu and the team leads me to not be able to see how this will work with Kawhi next year. If Manu returns or even if he doesn't. How do Pop, Manu and Tony coexist and buy in with Kawhi next year? People who have made sacrifices for the greater good of the team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does Green get a lot of hate just because he isn't shooting like he did in the 2013 Finals all the time ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does Green get a lot of hate just because he isn't shooting like he did in the 2013 Finals all the time ?
    Nevermind TGY he's an all out troll, not exclusive to Danny.
    This isn't a hate thread, unless people make it so. Danny is in a deep shooting slump, below league average currently. It's obviously one of the reasons the team is struggling to win games.

I think if he doesn't bounce back from it Spurs will have an early playoffs exit. Tony is... well... One can pray at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tony is done, i'm afraid. a s of a s of his former self. i can't see how he really thinks he can still merit another long term deal.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So much about this post is wrong-headed. First because anyone who thought about it at all should have assumed Green's first bad year was an anomaly. The whole "I hated him the whole time" angle may have been correct in this case, but it was not a reasonable position to hold at the time. I'm also not sure how many people really thought LASIK was the solution; it was more like, "I hope that fixes it."

Second, the idea that Green wasn't a hard worker "since day 1" is wrong. Green became an elite shooter when he was a fringe-roster guy. There are plenty of articles talking about the work he did to craft that skill. I'm not saying he's currently working as hard as he can or should. But you don't luck into being an elite shooter for years on end.

At the same time, I don't necessarily buy that Green is hurt, or at least that that is the excuse. He doesn't seem any more injured now than he did during his good streaks. There was a time this year he was legit hurt, and that showed up in his defense. Maybe it's still affecting him, but it could also be age combined with subpar conditioning. We are talking about a 30-year-old here.
    Good post, tbh. Just checked his college stats and he was a pretty average-below average shooter until his senior year. Was wrong about the day 1 comment.

Idk we'll see if he's done these playoffs. His future with the Spurs depends on it. He's losing his minutes by the game and Pop doesn't know whether starting him or benching him will fix it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony is done.

I remember when Hakeem appeared done, and how sad I thought it was that a once dominant player suddenly looked so pedestrian on the court. Even for a player that I hated to see beat my Spurs I wanted him to be remembered for his greatness...not as a guy who hung around way too long. Recently I went back and looked at Hakeem's numbers his final season, and he actually put up decent numbers compared to what Tony is doing now. The fact that TP wants to play three more years is unbelievable to me. Whatever legacy he has will be ruined if he sticks around simply to average 3 points and an assist on 30% shooting the next 3 years. Personally I hope he sees the writing on the wall and hangs it up soon. And I love Parker, but his career, sadly, appears to be over. For the good of the Spurs and his own legacy he needs to do the right thing and give up that roster spot. Tim knew when he was done. Tim could have probably still played 50 games a year and kept going, but he knew it was time.

The Spurs may have to shut Tony down if he can't see it himself.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    t'es pas sérieux...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny seemed to have an injury. Tony is probably done at this point. But at least they are out there fighting, unlike Kawhi. I'm not sure if any Spurs fan will go out to buy his new shoes if he was not even sitting on the bench cheering for the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm honestly surprised that Green is even shooting that well. It's been horrible. But Danny's either going to shoot well or he's not. No way to predict or improve it externally.
    The last five games have been ghastly: 21% FG and 13% from 3
    Tony is at 23% FG.

The fact he's more recently worse, if one reduces the game sample, means that perhaps a bounce back of some progression to a better shooting average is in order.

I can hope.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe people are too quick to bury Parker tbh.. we all have called him done before, we also called Manu done many times.. Manu, Tony are veterans, they know their body and what it takes.. Parker is coming back from a serious injury, he has had more downs than ups so far but I'm sure he feels he can adapt and provides good minutes in the future, I think he deserves people to trust him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe people are too quick to bury Parker tbh.. we all have called him done before, we also called Manu done many times.. Manu, Tony are veterans, they know their body and what it takes.. Parker is coming back from a serious injury, he has had more downs than ups so far but I'm sure he feels he can adapt and provides good minutes in the future, I think he deserves people to trust him.
    Let's get it!!!!
    wipityyyyyy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have a whole team of pretty good three-point shooters who've been in a year-long (sometimes two-year) slump.

But let's wait until the money is on the table.

Danny is the type of player who can get hot when it matters (and it's been two years for him).

Tony had some moments after he came back from his "100 times" injury. Is he pacing himself in a diminished role? TP's got more pride (for better and worse) than anyone on the team.

As bad as the Spurs' outside shooting has been all year, they're still alive and kicking. What happens if they suddenly get hot?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's get it!!!!
    wipityyyyyy
    still better than Kawhi Leonard

Thread Information