Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And the Spurs nabbed two of them...nice.

I am happy the Spurs focused on guys who can defend, and also what appears to be two character guys. Should bode well for the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Granted, this is from a biased fansite:

https://balldurham.com/2020/11/18/du...il-star-guard/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice find.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tl;dr have fun in Austin!

hes not playing in Austin outside of days the team isn’t playing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, not right now. He’d probably cost too much, even if they would cut one of their low guarantee contracts. We’re at 15 right now, so Trey will likely have to go the two way contract route.
    I don’t see Metu being in the roster, so that puts them at 14 (10 other guys rostered + Poeltl + Eubanks + QW + Vassell). It actually wouldn’t surprise me to see the Spurs use part of the MLE to sign Tre to a longer contract above the minimum allowed for second rounders to keep a cost-controlled backup PG on the roster for the next 3-4 seasons.

On top of that, they’re not necessarily done making moves. I highly doubt the 14 guys listed above are all on the roster in a few weeks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is the G League even happening at this point?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope timvp acknowledges the whole Saddiq Bey fiasco

The fact is that they had Vassell rated higher than Bey

Did they throw a smokescreen for Bey hoping someone in the top 10 would bite? So that someone like Jalen Smith would drop?

Was it actually a leak for a trade they had in place with the Warriors but it broke down because of the news about Thompson?

It's clear that the Spurs leaked the out of liking Bey without any intention of drafting him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team, this organization and the fans are in a world of hurt with this guy helping run things.
    This team, this organization, this fan, this England

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem is there is one is that despite a relatively successful on paper draft the team is basically standing pat with a mediocre team with 2 misfit stars at least the way it is played. Hard to get excited as the young potential talents remain enigmatic and/or not tested/played enough. Not a good time to be a Spurs fan right now honestly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem is there is one is that despite a relatively successful on paper draft the team is basically standing pat with a mediocre team with 2 misfit stars at least the way it is played. Hard to get excited as the young potential talents remain enigmatic and/or not tested/played enough. Not a good time to be a Spurs fan right now honestly.
    I don't believe there won't be a clear transition next season showcasing more of the young guys. We will see Keldon more in a featured role. I don't doubt that one bit. Whether that leads to wins, we will see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They may have been doing rock, paper, scissors deciding between Vassell and Haliburton, and kept having to start over. My sources say Pop kept yelling "hammer" every time he heard the word "rock", thereby confusing everyone involved.
    LOL!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team, this organization, this fan, this England

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Vassell, Jones, and Q are replacing Belli, Mills, and Forbes, than that's a step in the right direction, imo
    I agree with this sentiment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting rid of Forbes and Marco, and replacing them with DV and Jones is a huge swing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting rid of Forbes and Marco, and replacing them with DV and Jones is a huge swing.
    What about Mills and Rudy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Tre is a pretty great young kid. I could see him becoming a fan favorite. I hope he exceeds his draft position.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd have considered selecting Haliburton and either selling high on White or preferably dumping Murray, but despite something of a bittersweet feeling to see Avdija get close and Haliburton be available and them pass, I still like the Vassell pick and he could easily end up the best of the bunch.

Don't hate the Jones pick, but it was annoying to see Woodard go one pick before (just can't get a big wing). Thought Tillie would have made for a more interesting flyer.

Can't help but get the feeling that Walker is on the clock . . .

- White is the current best of the bunch and most Spurs-y
    - Murray they foolishly jumped the gun on contractually and he lacks positive re-sale value
    - Johnson looks better in limited viewing
    - Vassell is probably plug and play and definitely high floor
    Last edited by TD 21; 11-19-2020 at 06:06 PM.

Spurs love forever RobinsontoDuncan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm disappointed in not ever knowing what would have happened if Jalen Smith was there at 11th and what the Spurs would have done. Glad to learn other teams rated him as high as me after all the time I spent preaching how good he is. He might become a good contributor with Chris Paul on his team. Well, he is not a Spur now and I wish him the best, but now I have to actively root against him.

On Vassell, on this site I had been the most critical of him because of two things: his frame and his knack for taking boneheaded shots on offense

For his frame, Brian Wright commented on how they will focus on improving his functional strength first. I don't believe Vassell would ever be the answer to guarding the tall point forwards like LeBron, Paul George, Deni, Giannis because he's just not built for it-- that will be Keldon's job. But now that I think of it, we have way more guards in the league than we do point forwards who wreak havoc on us and that's where Vassell will come in and help a lot.

For his boneheaded shots, I guess this will be an easy fix with coaching and the fact that he is unselfish and willing to learn.

In the end, I like what someone said how he could be our Klay Thompson... a big guard who shoots from everywhere on the floor and can defend well. Of course, Klay is a generational shooter so Vassell has a lot of work to do.

The most disappointing thing is that we still only have Keldon as the only player who is not afraid to bully his way into the paint. He's going to take a beating for years to come if we don't address that.
    I actually think the Spurs were hoping to take him at 11. I have no evidence outside of what the speculation was in the Smith prospect thread, but it's clear to me that there was a big drop off from Smith to the other bigs and they seemed to settle for a wing once he was gone.

I just wish they had traded for another 1st round pick to go get Precious, or at least an early 2nd to get a guy like Oturu (who I'm very high on) or Carey.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a positional need (6'7 small forward) and may be most talented at the draft spot. So I think this is an easy call and I saw a lot of mock drafts that had VAssell going to the Spurs at 11.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6'7" with a 6'11" wing span and known for being a defensive player and 3 pointer shooter? Exactly what we needed tbh.

Jones I'm not as sold on given his size and who we already have on the roster

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a positional need (6'7 small forward) and may be most talented at the draft spot. So I think this is an easy call and I saw a lot of mock drafts that had VAssell going to the Spurs at 11.
    Shooting guard is his preferred position, says it himself at 8:30.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd have considered selecting Haliburton and either selling high on White or preferably dumping Murray, but despite something of a bittersweet feeling to see Avdija get close and Haliburton be available and them pass, I still like the Vassell pick and he could easily end up the best of the bunch.

Don't hate the Jones pick, but it was annoying to see Woodard go one pick before (just can't get a big wing). Thought Tillie would have made for a more interesting flyer.

Can't help but get the feeling that Walker is on the clock . . .

- White is the current best of the bunch and most Spurs-y
    - Murray they foolishly jumped the gun on contractually and he lacks positive re-sale value
    - Johnson looks better in limited viewing
    - Vassell is probably plug and play and definitely high floor

I wanted Haliburton, and I'm sort of surprised he didn't go higher.

Vassell has a high floor IF he keeps making 3's. I don't have an easy feeling about that. If he can't knock 'em down, he has a really, really low floor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Examples of my reservations about Devin:

1) Will be ineffective against big wings (3's) due to his lack of strength:

Bad decision-making on offense:

3) Poor finisher, unable to draw fouls:

His real effectiveness lies in defending 1's and 2's:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs didn't whiff given the cir stances, but it doesn't feel like they did anything spectacular either. Saying we improved defensively because Vassell and Tre are better defenders than Forbes and Beli is an awfully low bar.

Thread Information