Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here I mean

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Silver lining is that Mike has a prepared statement with every team's name in the subject line, on standby since he gets fired from so many jobs. It's amazing a guy can be a career failure and still be wealthy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't blame him one bit for leaving this hot mess. This debacle is completely on Harden and the ownership who, if the rumors are true, forced Russ down his and Morey's throat. Good luck paying Russ 43 mil/yr for 3 years for running around and doing nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't blame him one bit for leaving this hot mess. This debacle is completely on Harden and the ownership who, if the rumors are true, forced Russ down his and Morey's throat. Good luck paying Russ 43 mil/yr for 3 years for running around and doing nothing.
    Bull . Harden and the owner are culpable, but Mike is the coach. His SSOL offense is a gimmick and he's a gimmick. He's always to blame. The coach runs the team.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bull . Harden and the owner are culpable, but Mike is the coach. His SSOL offense is a gimmick and he's a gimmick. He's always to blame. The coach runs the team.
    A lot of teams would take a "gimmick" that gets them into the playoffs consistently with the occasional conference finals appearance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is a gimmick and they were one CP3 game 7 "DNP injured" away from beating the Warriors with it.

Look, I'm not saying that they would've rang this year if they'd just ran it back with CP3. I'm just saying that MDA would've been more deserving of the criticism if they had run it back and still failed in the same manner.

Ownership should've told Harden to grow the up and make it work with CP3. Instead they caved in to his demands and traded for a guy who's quite possibly the worst fit for Morey/MDA system that I can think off. Not only was he a terrible fit, but also had a radioactive contract to go along with it. And you had to gut your future draft prospects to make this trade, leaving you with no insurance/safety net in the future. Good on MDA to bail on this dumpster fire.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    good for the Rockets

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Silver lining is that Mike has a prepared statement with every team's name in the subject line, on standby since he gets fired from so many jobs. It's amazing a guy can be a career failure and still be wealthy.
    Gimmick offenses that sell tickets. Owners love it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of teams would take a "gimmick" that gets them into the playoffs consistently with the occasional conference finals appearance.
    He’s the 2020 Don Nelson

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fraud coach.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    It is a gimmick and they were one CP3 game 7 "DNP injured" away from beating the Warriors with it.
    Yeah that’s the thing with D’antoni, it’s a never ending game of what if. What if Chris Paul wasn’t injured? What if Amare didn’t get suspended? All of these what ifs ultimately come back to his poor coaching - he ran Chris Paul into the ground during the regular season and Amare got suspended because Dantoni didn’t have his team trained to know the rules. It’s not merely an unfortunate coincidence that these ostensibly random events always happen to Dantoni coached teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would love him on the Spurs. He would be a horrible fit for Philly btw. Maybe Pop learned his lesson and decided to actually play faster, shoot more 3's, open the court up to Derrick White. Start White and Murray together or insert KJ into the starting rotation. I still have my doubts. I feel like Pop is going to re-sign Forbes and ride and die with him to the end.

But Dantoni coaching this team would be fun, it would be hectic, it would be frustrating, but there would be actual growth from the youth I believe. We aren't contenders anymore, but that doesn't mean we have to be the show we were last year.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I would love him on the Spurs. He would be a horrible fit for Philly btw. Maybe Pop learned his lesson and decided to actually play faster, shoot more 3's, open the court up to Derrick White. Start White and Murray together or insert KJ into the starting rotation. I still have my doubts. I feel like Pop is going to re-sign Forbes and ride and die with him to the end.

But Dantoni coaching this team would be fun, it would be hectic, it would be frustrating, but there would be actual growth from the youth I believe. We aren't contenders anymore, but that doesn't mean we have to be the show we were last year.
    I get it.
    But when did fun become a priority over spurs basketball built on defense, ball movement and smart fundamental basketball.
    And who is gonna run his ball dominant point of attack offense on the Spurs?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah that’s the thing with D’antoni, it’s a never ending game of what if. What if Chris Paul wasn’t injured? What if Amare didn’t get suspended? All of these what ifs ultimately come back to his poor coaching - he ran Chris Paul into the ground during the regular season and Amare got suspended because Dantoni didn’t have his team trained to know the rules. It’s not merely an unfortunate coincidence that these ostensibly random events always happen to Dantoni coached teams.
    Agreed that's exactly how I feel about him. There's always 1 team that always stands in his way whether it's Duncan-Spurs, Kobe-Lakers, Warriors, and now Lebron-Lakers. We always hear the excuse that if these teams didn't exist that his system would have resulted in a le. It's not a coincidence like you said that he keeps on losing to these teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When will teams realize D'Antoni's ty brand of basketball will never translate to real success? Jesus Christ people don't learn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get it.
    But when did fun become a priority over spurs basketball built on defense, ball movement and smart fundamental basketball.
    And who is gonna run his ball dominant point of attack offense on the Spurs?
    The second we had our coach start Bryn Forbes tbh. There's literally zero reason to start him for two years and yet here we are

Also, we Dantoni has ball movement. He just didn't do it with notorious ball hogs in Harden and Westbrook.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    When will teams realize D'Antoni's ty brand of basketball will never translate to real success? Jesus Christ people don't learn.
    While your conclusion may be true, I actually don’t think the Rockets were really Dantoni’s true brand of basketball. Early 2000s Suns is what Dantoni basketball is. I think the Rockets under Dantoni has been more of a Morey construction with Dantoni adding his wrinkles to it. Morey is the one who wants only dunks and threes almost exclusively, not Dantoni.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not teams with le hopes. Plenty teams have fired coaches after deep playoff runs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He did break Kobe's Achilles though.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    He did break Kobe's Achilles though.
    True.

Then Ara Zobayan finished the job.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While your conclusion may be true, I actually don’t think the Rockets were really Dantoni’s true brand of basketball. Early 2000s Suns is what Dantoni basketball is. I think the Rockets under Dantoni has been more of a Morey construction with Dantoni adding his wrinkles to it. Morey is the one who wants only dunks and threes almost exclusively, not Dantoni.
    It's the same thing to me, only difference is the Suns were lucky enough to have Amare running with them

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In a way, I see D'Antoni as the coaching equivalent of Harden and Westbrook-- good enough to guarantee a certain amount of wins, but with enough shortcomings to also guarantee that winning a championship is difficult and unlikely. So much of what he does has a kernel of insight in it, but then lacks nuance. SSOL is fine as a fast paced philosophy, but if there's no good shot, it's stupid to still employ it. Take another 12 seconds and get a good shot. Harden going ISO all year on the league works, but running into a superior defender on a good team in the playoffs makes for a different picture. Guarding Anthony Davis with PJ Hunter sounds daring, until you look at AD's shooting percentages across the board, which skyrocketed up from their already good regular season averages. Allowing guys like Stoudamire, Harden, and Westbrook to routinely play lazy or risky defense is unforgivable, as is letting Westbrook shoot as many threes as he wants. It just seems like there are too many times when D'Antoni is saying, "Whatever, guys, just go with the flow..."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The sixers would be horrible for him

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    In a way, I see D'Antoni as the coaching equivalent of Harden and Westbrook-- good enough to guarantee a certain amount of wins, but with enough shortcomings to also guarantee that winning a championship is difficult and unlikely. So much of what he does has a kernel of insight in it, but then lacks nuance. SSOL is fine as a fast paced philosophy, but if there's no good shot, it's stupid to still employ it. Take another 12 seconds and get a good shot. Harden going ISO all year on the league works, but running into a superior defender on a good team in the playoffs makes for a different picture. Guarding Anthony Davis with PJ Hunter sounds daring, until you look at AD's shooting percentages across the board, which skyrocketed up from their already good regular season averages. Allowing guys like Stoudamire, Harden, and Westbrook to routinely play lazy or risky defense is unforgivable, as is letting Westbrook shoot as many threes as he wants. It just seems like there are too many times when D'Antoni is saying, "Whatever, guys, just go with the flow..."
    I also blame the media and Rox fans for the current mythology around Harden. Kellerman Simmons JVG etc all love Dantoni so because analytics say Harden is an all time great because of his efficiency in the Mike d system (i think Harden can be great still without flopping and by going back to more of the style when okc backdoor serve the Spurs) his defenders love the gaudy stats he gets all year even if it falls short when it matters most. His defense has improved but his off ball movement on both ends are disgraceful. And Mike is an enabler...

Thread Information