Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree with O'Connor 100% here. I don't even use the word tanking... for me it's just a matter of getting valuable playing time & experience for Vassell, Samanic, & others. Just as last season too many of those minutes were taken by Forbes and Beli, who were then let go for nothing... what did that accomplish? Been a fan of the Spurs for a very long time, but can't help thinking it's gone off the rails in the last couple years, with draft decisions being the only bright spot. Letting the most high profile free agent signing in their history walk for zero compensation when a trade in the previous year almost definitely would've brought something was frustrating, and now all of that cap space is sitting there with almost no attractive free agents left. In a way, PATFO look to have a game similar to DeRozan's with one bright spot (drafting) and a bunch of major holes (ability to secure players via trades, ability to attract FAs) that they either can't or won't work on.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should have been blown up in the summer of 2018 when that ing snake forced his way out of town. Three ing wasted years that could have been spent getting good draft picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think we should have blown up this roster. Rather than that, we should have moved on from POP as HC, but remaining in the FO, and promoting someone in the coaching staff. Now they are all gone except for Becky. With new HC, we should have started developing the youngsters, still under "The Programm". There's no problem in retainind DDR, Patty or whoever you want, the real thing is that Pop is not as good as he was, too many in-game errors, and the same approach to BB that not atracts good FA. Shoud've mooved on like Riley - Spoelstra did in MIA.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think we should have blown up this roster. Rather than that, we should have moved on from POP as HC, but remaining in the FO, and promoting someone in the coaching staff. Now they are all gone except for Becky. With new HC, we should have started developing the youngsters, still under "The Programm". There's no problem in retainind DDR, Patty or whoever you want, the real thing is that Pop is not as good as he was, too many in-game errors, and the same approach to BB that not atracts good FA. Shoud've mooved on like Riley - Spoelstra did in MIA.
    Our Spoelstra left to Atlanta in the summer of 2013.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this stage I'll even take DeRozan back for three years if it means Popovich is gone. His act is old and stale

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    him and his hindsight.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs are 3-7 in last 10

stealth tank is already on tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was told downstairs a package featuring Brandon Ingram wasn't good enough. Right now BI >> DeRozan. Pop's purple and gold hatred got the best of him IMO.
    Magic’s AIDS infected tampering ass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this stage I'll even take DeRozan back for three years if it means Popovich is gone. His act is old and stale
    Nah, he just needs to have his pets taken away like Art Howe in Moneyball.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. And if by some miracle the Spurs were to right the ship, the "experts" will all reverse course again.

But I do think Pop's overreliance on the veterans is beginning to hurt us. The future is not those guys, and the present really isn't either. I like Gay, and DDR, and Patty, but it's time to move on from all three. Patty is the only one you probably keep, but you hope Pop can use him more in a veteran Steve Kerr role, and not as some sort of sad Manu replacement. Patty playing big hero-ball minutes is cringe-worthy stuff.

I was on the Demar resign bandwagon, but that's only if the Spurs are a team capable of battling for a top 4 seed. Use those dollars for players who can help us long term if we're getting locked into a 7 thru 12 spot the next couple of years.
    Yeah I’m kinda tired of seeing so much Gay and Patty. If they’re red hot, that’s one thing but Patty’s cold out there getting 30+ minutes. That’s so aggravating. It would be nice for the vets to leave next year and the young guys be more ready to take the reigns...but what do we know right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no doubt If Spurs had unloaded all of their vets this team would have been allot better and still competing in the playoffs this year.

Now because of Pop and a incompetent or maybe gutless FO we may be stuck as a treadmill team for a few years.

I thought Pop said that things would be different with a new youth movement yet here we are ... subs ute belli/Forbes for patty /gay getting heavy minutes if front of the youth so pretty much nothing changed.

Pop and FO just repeating the same things over and over expecting a different result. This franchise really has become the definition of insanity.

I love this team but man I don't know how much more I can stomach this FO anymore.
    Last edited by Chomag; 04-05-2021 at 07:29 PM.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are literally the Josh Smith Hawks of a decade ago purgatory for a basketball team. 8-10th seed every year, best player is a career loser, if we do make it to the playoffs it’ll be the “NBA TV” series, god awful attendance, etc

All because crater face wants the win record. ing disgusting and I hope more talking heads realize it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Benching KJ in OT after being 20 and 10 was so inexcusable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sadly, despite the Spurs having a poor 3 point team and having not one player that can go out and get you a three point shot off the dribble, we are not too shabby on O. But a lineup of White/Murray/Poelt and somehow we are turds on D. That is game plan and not players. I know that DDR is a below average defender, but he isn't a traffic cone. The Spurs second unit is pretty good on O too despite having Mills and Gay being poor defenders. Even the Spurs rebounding is pretty solid too despite playing Johnson as the starting pf.

I just don't see it as the team make up issue. It would have been nice to have used LMA and Lyles contract for something positive, but it terms of the players, I don't see it as the main problem. I see it as a defensive game plan problem. Every game, guards are destroying the Spurs.

In saying that, I think the elephant in the room isn't DDR or Gay. It's actually the Murray and White pairing. White coming back did not boost the team. Spurs got worse. And losing Walker has hurt the Spurs more than we here want to admit it. If DDR does get resigned, there one of White or Murray should be considered to be traded.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blow it up. It's years overdue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The spurs are not going to tank. Why the can't people just get that through their head? Kevin o'connor has talked about how good the spurs were earlier this year and now is just writing the opposite cause they're playing like . So stupid.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was told downstairs a package featuring Brandon Ingram wasn't good enough. Right now BI >> DeRozan. Pop's purple and gold hatred got the best of him IMO.
    I agree and have been saying this for a while now. Should have traded him to the Lakers, but other Spurs fans keep telling me you guys never offered any packages with Ingram in them due to thinking you'll just get Kawhi outright during free agency? If so, can't blame them for not trading with the Lakers, but yeah, if a package centered around Ingram and draft picks was discussed, the Spurs ed up by not doing business with the Lakers IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course he's right and honestly this drop off shouldn't be surprising. I said 2 months ago that this team has a spacing problem and all you have to do is pack the paint. People here were arguing that this ain't the case, but this was totally predictable with the lack of 3-point shooting on this roster. Especially a HOF coach like Flopovich should know that, but I knew the old man thought this was sustainable

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree and have been saying this for a while now. Should have traded him to the Lakers, but other Spurs fans keep telling me you guys never offered any packages with Ingram in them due to thinking you'll just get Kawhi outright during free agency? If so, can't blame them for not trading with the Lakers, but yeah, if a package centered around Ingram and draft picks was discussed, the Spurs ed up by not doing business with the Lakers IMO.
    1. What makes Ingram are better deal than DDR? He is earning more than DDR and his team isn't exactly lighting it up.
    2. Lakers wanted Spurs to take Deng.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sadly, despite the Spurs having a poor 3 point team and having not one player that can go out and get you a three point shot off the dribble, we are not too shabby on O. But a lineup of White/Murray/Poelt and somehow we are turds on D. That is game plan and not players. I know that DDR is a below average defender, but he isn't a traffic cone. The Spurs second unit is pretty good on O too despite having Mills and Gay being poor defenders. Even the Spurs rebounding is pretty solid too despite playing Johnson as the starting pf.

I just don't see it as the team make up issue. It would have been nice to have used LMA and Lyles contract for something positive, but it terms of the players, I don't see it as the main problem. I see it as a defensive game plan problem. Every game, guards are destroying the Spurs.

In saying that, I think the elephant in the room isn't DDR or Gay. It's actually the Murray and White pairing. White coming back did not boost the team. Spurs got worse. And losing Walker has hurt the Spurs more than we here want to admit it. If DDR does get resigned, there one of White or Murray should be considered to be traded.
    Yeah, there's absolutely problems with personnel, but coaching has been bottom-of-the-barrel bad, for some time now. Spurs are playing like less than the sum of their parts now, and they weren't exactly the best parts to begin with. The defensive scheme is archaic at best, and the offensive schemes could use work too. Pop has no feel for lineup changes and the Keldon benching a couple games ago was one example of many, the same as overplaying the same old vets every night (well, not really the "same old", since it was Belinelli filling in that role last season). It's really come to a point where I wonder whether Pop will play just any veteran over our young players, no matter their capacity, just because they have "experience and knowledge"

E: forgot about the last part. Agree - the DJ/White pairing has been pretty underwhelming. But I don't think it's set in stone for them: DeRozan is the true culprit on that starting lineup not working. I mean, neither Dejounte nor White are off-ball players, quite the opposite in fact - then you also put in the starting lineup maybe THE most ball-demanding, off-ball useless player in the entire league? There's simply no way that's ever gonna work out. I wanna see a full season of a DD-less DJ/White backcourt before calling the shot on them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, there's absolutely problems with personnel, but coaching has been bottom-of-the-barrel bad, for some time now. Spurs are playing like less than the sum of their parts now, and they weren't exactly the best parts to begin with. The defensive scheme is archaic at best, and the offensive schemes could use work too. Pop has no feel for lineup changes and the Keldon benching a couple games ago was one example of many, the same as overplaying the same old vets every night (well, not really the "same old", since it was Belinelli filling in that role last season). It's really come to a point where I wonder whether Pop will play just any veteran over our young players, no matter their capacity, just because they have "experience and knowledge"

E: forgot about the last part. Agree - the DJ/White pairing has been pretty underwhelming. But I don't think it's set in stone for them: DeRozan is the true culprit on that starting lineup not working. I mean, neither Dejounte nor White are off-ball players, quite the opposite in fact - then you also put in the starting lineup maybe THE most ball-demanding, off-ball useless player in the entire league? There's simply no way that's ever gonna work out. I wanna see a full season of a DD-less DJ/White backcourt before calling the shot on them.
    the defense turned into garbage once Messina and Udoka left, they came up with all the defensive schemes not Flopovich

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the defense turned into garbage once Messina and Udoka left, they came up with all the defensive schemes not Flopovich
    You ain't wrong

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do they still have the commensurate salary rule for trades?
    Because I could see that as being a tough hurdle to clear for dumping Derozan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

DDR is clearly the better player than those two. I don't see the point in trading DDR for a piece that best fits with White and Murray, rather than trading White or Murray to fit around DDR. You have to build around your best player(s). You still have a poor shooting backcourt and a poor shooting front court. Why is it that DDR is the issue here?

IMO, I can see the Spurs/Pop being very aggressive this offseason. They have cap space and they have kept their picks, plus they have starting players on friendly deals (White/Murray/Poeltl/Johnson/Walker).

Spurs will target Sarbonis or Towns. The cost of an allstar quality big man is 1 young player and 2 first round picks. Towns price is higher.

Thread Information