Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wow... fantastic article

To put it plainly, the Wizards evolved Bertans from a jitterier Steve Novak to a taller J.J. Re . Both are useful archetypes, but one’s a whole lot more unique and valuable than the other.

In that sense, Bertans is a new phenomenon. Who else’s game can be described as “taller J.J. Re ?” Of course he elicits some form of wonder from opposing announcers. It’s easy to ask, “who saw this coming?”

But I still think this read is far too charitable to the Spurs and the rest of the league. If this really is an era dominated by deep three-point shooting, there’s not much excuse for undervaluing and failing to maximize a player with Bertans’ skill set. He got plenty of threes up in the limited minutes he did play with the Spurs, and still managed to convert them at an absurd rate. It’s not like he benefited from the hard work of superstars, unless you consider the collective Spurs bench apparatus a superstar.

And there was ample evidence already that his shooting could help a good team succeed. The Spurs outscored teams by 7.6 points per 100 possessions with him in last year and were outscored by 2.9 points per 100 possessions with him sidelined. The signs of a Bertans breakout when given a greener light were there, and the league should have put those puzzle pieces together.
    so true. scathing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    marcus fckn morrisdemarre caroll

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If only Bertans had grown a wispy thin DeBarge-like mustache, maybe he could have been a coach's favorite ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our FO is being laughed at.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    too bad the spurs can’t trade demar for him

teams are after the guy...
    Thank God they gave him away for free to sign Demarre Carroll. Imagine getting an asset back for him.

"We got Marco, he's better than Davis"

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a good article. The le says "The NBA Whiffed", and I was prepared to push back on that, because PATFO whiffed on Bertans. But the article itself is pretty clear about who really blew it. (Side note: The videos crack me up, because they're now calling him "Daveece", like he's from Mexico. )

One thing from the article that's been pretty much overlooked here:

Bertans rarely had plays run for him; nearly 56 percent of his points were classified at spot-up shots. He was adept at sliding along the line while someone(s) else did the heavy lifting, be it through a post-up or pick-and-roll. Those little movements created and maximized tight windows needed to score, which was especially important when mid-range artists DeMar DeRozan and LaMarcus Aldridge were the hub of the offense.

There is an art to sliding along the line, staying open but also maintaining a passing lane for the playmaker. It's also a of a lot of work. Davis ran his ass off, even though he was too seldom rewarded for it. I've ed numerous times this year that the Spurs have a bunch of guys who aren't moving without the ball and especially aren't maintaining passing lanes that would allow them to get open shots. Maybe they're lazy, or don't have the instincts for where to be. Maybe they figure the iso-heroes won't pass to them anyway, so they just quit moving. But one of the things I loved about Bertans is that he kept working no matter what.

Bertans served the function of a floor spacer, though calling him a “floor drifter” is more accurate. His job was to catch defenses when they paid attention elsewhere, and he did it well. But he also didn’t have a fundamentally different role than Stretch 4s of yesteryear. Bertans still does plenty of spotting up in D.C. You’ll often see him sprinting to and along the line the second his man even looks elsewhere. That explains how he keeps getting open.

"Yesteryear" is code for Pop's antiquated coaching.

In D.C., Bertans’ shooting creates chaos and inspires terror, rather than just capitalizing on someone else’s heavy lifting. Because of that, the Wizards can leverage the threat of Bertans’ shooting to make life easier for everyone else.

Wait a minute... using a 3P shooter for more than just an occasional 3 points? Actually leveraging him to make life easier for the other players? Even the ones who only shoot midrange jumpers? You know, it's so crazy it just might work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most of Spurstalk loves to talk in hindsight. A lot of you idiots were ready to give up on him after one bad playoff series. There were only a select few of us ( DAF86 being his biggest fan) that always knew he was capable of this if he was used correctly/given a big enough leash.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The no conclusion
    . The answer to both questions at once comes in the way the Wizards have used him this season. In San Antonio, Bertans rarely had plays run for him; nearly 56 percent of his points were classified at spot-up shots. He was adept at sliding along the line while someone(s) else did the heavy lifting, be it through a post-up or pick-and-roll. .

They chose iso LMA, drz, and Gay over the Murray run based offense and that's why we're here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    $5M per would have been a terrible contract for the Spurs. All Bertans ever did here was play deep bench minutes and shoot some corner 3's - when he wasn't just riding the pine.

It would be a great deal for the Wiz though. Pop.
    How on earth would signing a 6'10'' snipper for 5 mils per year be a terrible contract?

Even if he remained a 9th, 10th guy, having him for 20/4 would have been a steal. How many 6'10" great shooters do you know that are signed for less than that?

The biggest proof that 20/4 would have been a great deal is that we ended up signing him for 21/2. Double the price.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To put it plainly, the Wizards evolved Bertans from a jitterier Steve Novak to a taller J.J. Re . Both are useful archetypes, but one’s a whole lot more unique and valuable than the other.

In that sense, Bertans is a new phenomenon. Who else’s game can be described as “taller J.J. Re ?” Of course he elicits some form of wonder from opposing announcers. It’s easy to ask, “who saw this coming?”
    Ahem

Like Klay, like Korver, like Red . This is the type of role Bertans should have. Advanced metrics have proven that having these type of players on these type of roles is one of the best weapons you can have for an offense. We have one of the few guys that can pull this off, yet we underutilize him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The sad sad sad truth, it's that everything describing bertans ideal role is Marco's role under pop.

Pop let bertans go because he thought it was more traditional to have a 2 and 3 do spacing

It makes sense: peak Marco+ gay and Morris is good, but no Morris, tosb gay and Marco looking rough

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The real mistake was signing DeMarre Carroll with the money that would've satiated Morris' salary appe e.

The Spurs could've had both Marcus Morris AND Davis Bertans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The real mistake was signing DeMarre Carroll with the money that would've satiated Morris' salary appe e.

The Spurs could've had both Marcus Morris AND Davis Bertans.
    No they couldn't. They traded Bertans for a trade exception to trade for Carroll which allowed them the MLE they wouldn't have had otherwise

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems like it needs to happen more often to induce change

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Happy for Davis, he wouldn't have been able to have this much success and earn himself a fat contract playing for the senile coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But instead Bryn Forbes got that role

I mean even the biggest sniffers have to realize that PATFO has completely lost the plot at this point

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Y'all can try to spin this however you want. Yes Marcus Morris would've been an upgrade, but it's not like trading Bertans for nothing was the only reason to free up 7 million. Beli earns 5.6, Forbes 2.5, Mills 12.5 million and somebody in this re ed front office should've known that Bertans was a better player than Carroll. This move again is on the senile coach trading a player half of the NBA wants to sign cause he ain't "his guy"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Signing Carroll is the height of the incompetency.

$7,000,000 $6,650,000 $7,000,000 ... almost $21million for someone who doesn't ever play!!!!

Dante Cunningham has played more minutes and scored more points than Carroll.

Can anyone even explain this stupidity?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

$7,000,000 $6,650,000 $7,000,000 ... almost $21million for someone who doesn't ever play!!!!

It's depth, neither player is good, but the goal should be to bench the guy because demarr, gay, Lyle's, and poertle are better.

If Carroll were a good prospect so be it, but spending $7 for a veteran isn't a big overspend if it's for leadership, scrimmage, and depth

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's depth, neither player is good, but the goal should be to bench the guy because demarr, gay, Lyle's, and poertle are better.

If Carroll were a good prospect so be it, but spending $7 for a veteran isn't a big overspend if it's for leadership, scrimmage, and depth
    Your nose is so deep in Pop's seat. Y'all sniffers really spin anything into "That was a smart move by PATFO". Drunkford could runover a baby and you would say he saved mankind cause he killed the next Kim Yong-Un

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No they couldn't. They traded Bertans for a trade exception to trade for Carroll which allowed them the MLE they wouldn't have had otherwise
    But you're neglecting my first statement. The DeMarre Carroll signing was unnecessary if they had targeted Marcus Morris first (AND especially given the context of Carroll's overall usage thus far). IF PATFO had gone that route THEN the full MLE would have been available to sign Morris outright (with what the Knicks are paying him today) and in that context the Spurs wouldn't have had to trade Davis Bertans away.

So no Carroll
    Sign Morris with the MLE
    Keep Bertans

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

this has no explanation (just like some decisions made by PATFO in recent years), currently, they are in fact one of the worst offices in the league (unfortunately)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deservedly so. They should be.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But you're neglecting my first statement. The DeMarre Carroll signing was unnecessary if they had targeted Marcus Morris first (AND especially given the context of Carroll's overall usage thus far). IF PATFO had gone that route THEN the full MLE would have been available to sign Morris outright (with what the Knicks are paying him today) and in that context the Spurs wouldn't have had to trade Davis Bertans away.

So no Carroll
    Sign Morris with the MLE
    Keep Bertans

Marcus Morris was ready to sign with the clippers but was convinced by rich Paul not too because he thought he could get more money. It backfired on him.

Things just did not go the Spurs way. If Morris signed with the Spurs no one would be talking about Spurs ing up because Morris would be balling with the Spurs.

Instead he ed out and the Spurs had no choice but to give Carroll 3 years even tho the 3rd year is not guaranteed because the cba mandates it

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree that Morris would've been an upgrade. I haven't looked at the advanced stats, but I'd be very surprised if Morris's were better. With the ridiculously cheap Bertan's salary, it was a no brainer that Davis should have stayed on this roster.

Zach Lowe is right. These moves are the effect of the brain drain that's gone on in this organization. Nothing but morons are left in this front office

Thread Information