Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's compare Roger Mason with Trey Lyles.

Both have below average athleticism.

But Roger Mason was undersized for his position. Lyles is above average in size for a 4 in today's NBA.

Roger Mason had below average handles for his position. Lyles has above average handles for a 4 in today's NBA.

The reason we see Lyles on the court he his like the NFL wide receiver that knows his routes as to compared to one who doesn't (maybe that's Carroll).
    How is Lyle's undersized for his position for today's game? That makes no sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Consider doing 10, 20, 30 & 40 games teams grades overall assessments. That’s half the season and you’ll have a very good idea about the team’s personality overall. I’d be very interested in reading those incremental squad grades over 10 games spans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We almost lost to Washington. That's all the grades in just 5 words.

I think the excitement for Murray is kind of obfuscating how bad the team is playing. Defense is extremely porous, and offense is relying too much on penetrations without kicking the ball out for a corner 3, and not much more than back to the basket ISO.

At least Forbes shoots some threes. But there is zero ball movement. Clearly Beli and Mills do not enter Pop rotation plans, which makes me think we'll never see ball movement with this team, instead the plan seem to be more running after a defensive rebound (I like it) or find a back to the basket mid-range decent shot (and lose games)

Hope something in the offensive flow and movement will improve or we'll end up watching LW jumping all around while basically playing for the opposing team.

Why was Murray out the last 5 minutes?

DDR even more annoying than last season, I thought it was impossible but he managed to surprise me.

BTW Hachimura is a of a rookie. And Bertans -you threes were painful to watch.
    Actually, we normally lose revenge games vs former Spurs. The fact that he went off and we still won is impressive.

Our defense remains atrocious though.

Gonna come back to bite us soon.

The League is getting really good across the board, in so far as any team seems to have the ability to upset any of the top teams on a great shooting night nowadays.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timvp, somehow you forgot about Davis Bertans' grade.
    That’s what I was thinking. Without Bertans turning into a supernova out there, Washington falls out of this game much earlier.

I’m astounded, though, that PATFO was thought he should be the expendable guy when Beli is still on the roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades. Obviously they haven’t adjusted to each other and that’s with the shorter pre-season. Will take the win. A lot of positive when they play well. It’s a matter of keeping the lead. I’m happy to see Lonnie getting some plays, especially with White/Murray in there. Mills/Beli is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s what I was thinking. Without Bertans turning into a supernova out there, Washington falls out of this game much earlier.

I’m astounded
    , though, that PATFO was thought he should be the expendable guy when Beli is still on the roster.
    really?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I’m astounded, though, that PATFO was thought he should be the expendable guy when Beli is still on the roster.
    Pop did not like Bertan's cause he wanted Bertan's to play like someone else. When Davis gets to play to his strengths he is really good. This goes back to Pop trying to get players to be better with their weaknesses rather than putting them in position to thrive with their strengths.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop did not like Bertan's cause he wanted Bertan's to play like someone else. When Davis gets to play to his strengths he is really good. This goes back to Pop trying to get players to be better with their weaknesses rather than putting them in position to thrive with their strengths.
    Or was Washington demanding an asset to be included with Beli because they know how useless he is?

Really frustrating because we know how useful Bertans could be when at his best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amen, brother. Preach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills and Marco together are so wrong, and being so obvious makes the whole situation even more annoying.
    I'm praying that Pop playing Walker in the 4th will be start of him taking away Marco's minutes and keeping him on the bench.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My thoughts after 2 games

1. Pop sucks at this stage of his career
    2. Lyles is way overrated in this forum
    3. Mills and Belli are done as players
    4. Pop has ruined White confidence
    5. Pop Will ruin Walker confidence

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's compare Roger Mason with Trey Lyles.

Both have below average athleticism.

But Roger Mason was undersized for his position. Lyles is above average in size for a 4 in today's NBA.

Roger Mason had below average handles for his position. Lyles has above average handles for a 4 in today's NBA.

The reason we see Lyles on the court he his like the NFL wide receiver that knows his routes as to compared to one who doesn't (maybe that's Carroll).
    Except Lyles can’t shoot which is like a fast receiver who can’t catch the ball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We haven't seen lyle at his best whereas we know bertans isn't consistent. If lyles can recover shooting and be a plus passer rebounder then he's far far more valuable. A big if , but bert is a known product so if it where a straight trade it might mAke sense but given the Morris scenario the spurs should be pleased to have a passable option with upside.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Bertans misses shots he's completely useless. Last night he hit shots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop plays his guys. That doesn't mean they are the better basketball players. They are just his guys. Like Beli and Patty. Danny Green and Bertans for example were never his guys, although they are way better basketball players on better contracts.

B-b-b-but Pop treats every player the same

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Demar looks like he doesn't give a and even when he's making big plays still doesn't look like he gives two s..

Why is Mills out there to defensively close a game???
    body language between him and Pop seems pretty negative. they can be 6 inches away and not look at each other

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curry and Dray being exposed, even two years late, is still something great to watch

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm surprised by Lyles over Carroll in general, but it makes sense in this context . . .

- They prefer to start traditional and have (mercifully) seemingly conceded that Poeltl is just not tenable.
    - They're determined to make Gay the permanent 6th man.
    - They didn't need a big wing defender against the Knicks/Wizards.
    - Considering his long injury history, Carroll is an old 33. It's best to lean on him in matchups they need him for than make him an every game player.
    - Might as well audition Lyles now before looking to swing a trade for a starting caliber "PF". He has virtually no chance to become a fixture if he continues to be a big man version of fathead instead of the legit stretch four they need (typical Spur; inexplicably eschewing the 3 and being enabled), though.

As for the rest of this team, this is what we're going to continue to see. Sure, they'll be 1-2 stretches where they play near capacity and vice versa, but generally speaking, it'll be a struggle no matter the opponent or situation. That's what happens when your best players are neutral and minus types and your roster is so ill-fitting that you can't play your 5 best together.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop plays his guys. That doesn't mean they are the better basketball players. They are just his guys. Like Beli and Patty. Danny Green and Bertans for example were never his guys, although they are way better basketball players on better contracts.

B-b-b-but Pop treats every player the same
    Danny, signed twice from the d league is not pops guy? Better examples are Jonathan Simmons and Dedmon, sjax part two, splitter pre 2014, Jackie Butler, scola, nando, etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So in a nuts , fortunate to be 2-0 -- I'll take it!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny, signed twice from the d league is not pops guy? Better examples are Jonathan Simmons and Dedmon, sjax part two, splitter pre 2014, Jackie Butler, scola, nando, etc
    Danny was Pop's whipping boy. Pop has been trying to trade him before that. Danny for Avery Bradley was one rumor

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if Pop is doing the opposite with Derozan this year than what he did last year. Last year he was looked to get others involved early and assert hisself as well. Now it looks like Pop May be using him to be a threat on the court but not really become that threat until the fourth quarter. He seems to be a step ahead of everyone in the fourth because he isn’t gassed by that time. Could be wrong but just my theory.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Bertans misses shots he's completely useless. Last night he hit shots.
    There's a lot of truth to that. I don't know about completely useless, but his value falls pretty low.

But last night I think the Spurs were lucky that the Wiz didn't give him the ball on that last play. Poor coaching if you ask me. You've got a guy with a hot hand who's motivated to show up the team that let go of him, you hand him the rock and let him shoot a 3. I like their chance of winning that way a lot better than having to make the deuce, and then win in O/T.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My thoughts after 2 games

1. Pop sucks at this stage of his career
    2. Lyles is way overrated in this forum
    3. Mills and Belli are done as players
    4. Pop has ruined White confidence
    5. Pop Will ruin Walker confidence
    5 for 5. Nice percentage.

Thread Information