Page 38 of 101 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All that's left is to sign Kelly Oubre and be a top 5 bad team.
    Thanks for the Lol

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins isn’t worth 25 million a season. Look I think the FO sucks but I think it’s clear now we’re going full tank / see what the younguns have or don’t have. As composed this roster will challenge for a top three pick next year and have another 30+ million in cap room to play with for a much better free agent class.
    That offer they made to Collins would have a first year salary of $21.6 million, it's a pretty big lowball. He's easily worth that in a league where Lonzo Ball is making $20 million next year and Evan Fournier $18 million. I think he's easily worth the $28 million base salary the Spurs should have offered.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Notable that the Spurs preferred a broken down (and possibly washed up?) Aminu and an expiring Thad Young than Markkanen. Win move vs the tank commander that Lauri has been.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John Collins wasn't coming to this organization when the Hawks are coming off an ECF (albeit lucky one)

the Hawks would have matched anything the Spurs signed him to (they already offered him 5yr/125mil)...if anything Collins was going to use Wrong to squeeze a couple of extra mil a year but him coming here was a pipe dream
    That offer was a lowball, base salary $7 million below what the Spurs could have offered. Between 5 year, $125 million vs 4 year, $119 million, the latter is a much better offer money-wise.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The goal is to be a bad team so we can get our lotto ticket for a player that can take this roster to the next level. By all accounts, next season's draft is supposed to be as good as this one at the top, so now is the time to roll out a line up that will get experience will also losing games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the Spurs putting together the CREAM* Team, Markkanen doesn't really fit so I'm skeptical he'd be a part of a DeRozan sign-and-trade. Markkanen has a rep of being aloof, lazy and someone who rolls his eyes at coaches. Thaddeus Young, on the other hand, would fit the CREAM Team. Everyone loves Thad.

So putting my CREAM hat on, I'd suspect something like Thad, Troy Brown Jr. and a second rounder for DeRozan in a sign-and-trade.

(*character over everything)
    Pretty good call, my guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two and then some. And I don't think he's worth it.
    McDermott is a 40% 3pt shooter and will always be easy to trade, maybe even this season.
    He'll be a role player. Catch and shoot, run around screens, some cuts and that's it.

John Collins is a flashy player. Everyone remembers the highlights, but what are his actual skills to warrant a max deal?
    He's an average defender at best, nothing special. Won't get targeted, but he's too slow to be a defensive stopper on the perimeter and too weak to guard the post.

He's a good 3pt shooter, but he was the guy you let shoot on that Hawks team. He'll hit them, but almost every perimeter shot he makes is wide open.
    He's an amazing athlete, but offers absolutely no shot creation. He can't do anything by himself unless it's a huge mismatch.

Idk about you, but I vivdly remember a game from last season and Collins not being able to score on Keldon. Couldn't even move him in the post. He's got no moves.
    And we don't have a Trae type of playmaker who'd just feed him lobs and easy dunks.

Again, a good player, but we're so desperate for a big move that we'll accept anything. A borderline Eastern conference all-star like Collins, even.
    He'd never make the ASG in the West.

I'd be mad if we signed Markkanen because he's garbage. Same goes for Oubre.
    I'd be happy if we got Collins, but what would he actually do for this team?

If Derrick, DJ and Lonnie don't improve now that the veterans are gone, Collins adds nothing.
    And then we'd be stuck with his huge contract that's a big overpay. He's not worth more than like $20M per season.
    Two McDermotts plus $1 million is what Collins would have cost.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That offer was a lowball, base salary $7 million below what the Spurs could have offered. Between 5 year, $125 million vs 4 year, $119 million, the latter is a much better offer money-wise.
    and gets him back on the market a year earlier. collins at age 27 would probably get more than 30mil given what the cap is likely to look like

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope those two white boys were worth striking out on John Collins. By signing McNugget and the crappy Collins, Spurs took away all their cap flexibility. They could have S&T DeMar AND made an offer to the good Collins. Instead, they used their 50 mil in cap space on garbage players

I think they talk or try to with collins camp before going on mc dermott, collins and ST Derozan. I agree with you but it's not so simple.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two and then some. And I don't think he's worth it.
    McDermott is a 40% 3pt shooter and will always be easy to trade, maybe even this season.
    He'll be a role player. Catch and shoot, run around screens, some cuts and that's it.

John Collins is a flashy player. Everyone remembers the highlights, but what are his actual skills to warrant a max deal?
    He's an average defender at best, nothing special. Won't get targeted, but he's too slow to be a defensive stopper on the perimeter and too weak to guard the post.

He's a good 3pt shooter, but he was the guy you let shoot on that Hawks team. He'll hit them, but almost every perimeter shot he makes is wide open.
    He's an amazing athlete, but offers absolutely no shot creation. He can't do anything by himself unless it's a huge mismatch.

Idk about you, but I vivdly remember a game from last season and Collins not being able to score on Keldon. Couldn't even move him in the post. He's got no moves.
    And we don't have a Trae type of playmaker who'd just feed him lobs and easy dunks.

Again, a good player, but we're so desperate for a big move that we'll accept anything. A borderline Eastern conference all-star like Collins, even.
    He'd never make the ASG in the West.

I'd be mad if we signed Markkanen because he's garbage. Same goes for Oubre.
    I'd be happy if we got Collins, but what would he actually do for this team?

If Derrick, DJ and Lonnie don't improve now that the veterans are gone, Collins adds nothing.
    And then we'd be stuck with his huge contract that's a big overpay. He's not worth more than like $20M per season.
    I disagree completely. You gotta look at what this team needs.

- size at the 4
    - rebounding
    - weakside shotblocking
    - 3-point shooting

He's the perfect fit for this roster. Especially in a pick & roll with White where he could catch lobs galore. He can run the floor, space the floor, shoots 40% from 3, grabs 8-10 boards per game and was on a Hawks squad where he didn't get a lot of touches. He got his points in the flow of the offense. He'd fit perfect with the rest of the squad and would fix pretty much every issue in the starting line up. The guy put up 20/10 the season before last. I don't know what more you want? I'd rather give him 28 million than to spread that money on Thad Young and Doug McDermott tbh. This team needs high quality starters more than anything.

Besides that he's only 23, so there's obviously still a lot of upside left.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two McDermotts plus $1 million is what Collins would have cost.
    That's your response?

I'll make it short then.
    Which star player skill does John Collins have? Skill that would warrant giving him a max deal?

I'll say it again, a player who can't create anything by himself on offense and is an average defender at best isn't worth the max.
    It's just that we're desperate for a big move. I would've liked if we got him, but it didn't happen. Move on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only good thing about free agency is at least the pick the Spurs got from Chicago is in 2025 when Brian Wrong will have long been fired.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those of you thinking that this is a tank are 100% wrong. This will not be a tank until they start moving players like Derek White and dejounte Murray. There's enough talent on this team as it's constructed right now to at least win 30-plus games. The strategy going into the season is obviously to see what the young players have and if any of them can make a leap but this is 100% not a tank.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see the Spurs trading White. Murray is still in range of the trajectory of the youth, but White is what, 27? I think he is someone to trade because he's a little older than the rest of the roster and could fetch something back that is good. I mean, you now how a Chicago pick to package and an expiring contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's your response?

I'll make it short then.
    Which star player skill does John Collins have? Skill that would warrant giving him a max deal?

I'll say it again, a player who can't create anything by himself on offense and is an average defender at best isn't worth the max.
    It's just that we're desperate for a big move. I would've liked if we got him, but it didn't happen. Move on.
    Make up your mind. You all over Collins and then say you would've liked getting him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those of you thinking that this is a tank are 100% wrong. This will not be a tank until they start moving players like Derek White and dejounte Murray. There's enough talent on this team as it's constructed right now to at least win 30-plus games. The strategy going into the season is obviously to see what the young players have and if any of them can make a leap but this is 100% not a tank.
    God help us if you're right

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only good thing about free agency is at least the pick the Spurs got from Chicago is in 2025 when Brian Wrong will have long been fired.
    Bulls will be coming off a year of 34 year old Derozan as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Talen Horton-Tucker staying with the Lakers - I know he was on timvp's list.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree completely. You gotta look at what this team needs.

- size at the 4
    - rebounding
    - weakside shotblocking
    - 3-point shooting

He's the perfect fit for this roster. Especially in a pick & roll with White where he could catch lobs galore. He can run the floor, space the floor, shoots 40% from 3, grabs 8-10 boards per game and was on a Hawks squad where he didn't get a lot of touches. He got his points in the flow of the offense. He'd fit perfect with the rest of the squad and would fix pretty much every issue in the starting line up. The guy put up 20/10 the season before last. I don't know what more you want? I'd rather give him 28 million than to spread that money on Thad Young and Doug McDermott tbh. This team needs high quality starters more than anything.

Besides that he's only 23, so there's obviously still a lot of upside left.

Agreed on the fit, but we have different opinions about if he's worth it and that's it.
    I don't think his skillset is worth the max, you do, we'll leave it at that.

Btw, this discussion is pointless because the Hawks offered him 125/5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wouldnt be surprised if white or murray get dealt

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the meltdown when DePression is resigned is gonna be historic, and I'll be right there with everyone losing my .
    Gimme my credit, Robz, I told ya we weren't bringing DePression back

LESSS GOOOO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pick is protected but oh well. spurs on that rebuild smoke now

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    That's your response?

I'll make it short then.

John Collins is much better than the combined haul of McNugget/crappy Collins/Thad Young/Aminu.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bulls will be coming off a year of 34 year old Derozan as well.
    Bulls front office would be competent enough to move him in his final year tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed on the fit, but we have different opinions about if he's worth it and that's it.
    I don't think his skillset is worth the max, you do, we'll leave it at that.

Btw, this discussion is pointless because the Hawks offered him 125/5.
    5 year, $125 million was a lowball. Spurs could have offered 4 year, $119 million.

Thread Information