Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...gentbuzz070110

Splitter’s price climbs

There were undoubtedly some eyes rolling into the backs of heads in the Spurs’ front office with the Minnesota Timberwolves close to an agreement with European center Nikola Pekovic(notes) on a three-year, $13 million contract. The Spurs are negotiating to bring over 2008 first-round pick Tiago Splitter(notes) this summer, and Pekovic’s deal promises to elevate Splitter’s leverage.

A 7-foot center from Brazil, Splitter is considered a far superior prospect to Pekovic. The Spurs’ ability to pay Splitter from its midlevel exception and still have some of that money to use on another free agent has been somewhat compromised.

– Adrian Wojnarowski, 11:40 a.m. ET, July 1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn idiot T-Wolves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    damnit! here we go again...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Minnesota also just signed Darko to a four-year, $20 million contract so perhaps the Spurs can claim insanity.

Seriously though, signing Splitter for less than the MLE is a pipe dream. It'd be really nice but Splitter has too much leverage and the Spurs are too desperate.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stop ing around and give him the full MLE. It's not like there are a lot of better options out there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. Whatever the scenario or what happens in free agency, Splitter's got to get the whole MLE.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course he's going to get the full MLE(he could get less if he's feeling generous), this doesn't change anything..giving Splitter as much $ as he wants is a no-brainer..this isn't some old guy, he's in his athletic prime and will hopefully give the Spurs years of good service..

In Manu we STILL trust! rayray2k8's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure the spurs were thinking about maybe giving him the whole MLE deal to Splitter.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Minnesota also just signed Darko to a four-year, $20 million contract so perhaps the Spurs can claim insanity.

Seriously though, signing Splitter for less than the MLE is a pipe dream. It'd be really nice but Splitter has too much leverage and the Spurs are too desperate.
    Thank you. When I saw that on Realgm.com, I had to hit refresh to make sure it was for real. How do you pay Darko $20 million for four years? Kahn is the new Wallace. Just as he may bid up the price to sign Splitter, maybe the Spurs front office can take advantage of his propensity to sell the farm for foreign players by doing a sign and trade of Ime.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Stop ing around and give him the full MLE. It's not like there are a lot of better options out there.
    Of course he's going to get the full MLE(he could get less if he's feeling generous), this doesn't change anything..giving Splitter as much $ as he wants is a no-brainer..this isn't some old guy, he's in his athletic prime and will hopefully give the Spurs years of good service..
    All that and 29 yr old Drew Gooden just got 5/32. The full MLE is 5/34.

Pay the man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These are tricky negotiations for the Spurs. Their only leverage is that it's becoming pretty obvious that Splitter wants to come to the NBA. That could allow the Spurs to play a little bit of hardball.

I'm assuming the Spurs' opening offer to Splitter would be something in the neighborhood of three-years and $15 million. But yeah, as Yahoo suggests, Pekovic's deal makes that offer look too small.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tiago will get the full MLE and is smart enough to know how much the spurs could spend I hope he doesnt seem to greedy

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KAHN!!!!!!!

Someones gotta have that video somewhere....

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These are tricky negotiations for the Spurs. Their only leverage is that it's becoming pretty obvious that Splitter wants to come to the NBA. That could allow the Spurs to play a little bit of hardball.

I'm assuming the Spurs' opening offer to Splitter would be something in the neighborhood of three-years and $15 million. But yeah, as Yahoo suggests, Pekovic's deal makes that offer look too small.
    ...couple that with the fact that Splitter now knows that the Spurs won't have to pay tax on his salary and the Spurs are running out of excuses as to why they can't give him the full MLE.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now the Suns are reported to have a 5/25 offer on the table for Channing Frye.

Give him the 5/34 before he demands a trade to a team with enough cap space to pay him more.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now the Suns are reported to have a 5/25 offer on the table for Channing Frye.

Give him the 5/34 before he demands a trade to a team with enough cap space to pay him more.
    Do you honestly see Splitter taking a 5 year deal? I think the most he would accept is a 3 year (with maybe a player option for a 4th) in hopes of becoming a FA and cashing in as a FA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you honestly see Splitter taking a 5 year deal? I think the most he would accept is a 3 year (with maybe a player option for a 4th) in hopes of becoming a FA and cashing in as a FA.
    I absolutely agree.

That may be the major point of the negotiations, with the Spurs offering a higher annual salary for a longer deal and a lower annual salary for a shorter deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol T- Wolves

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs cannot afford to screw these negotiations up. Goddamn, if they re-sign Jefferson but let Splitter pass through their hands....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No need to f around. Get the deal done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Before his strong playoffs I thought a 3yer/12 million deal would be fair (Scola deal) but after his MVP in Spain I think we'll have to pay him near the full MLE.

I hope he signs for 5 years but I think it'll be 3years - $18 million

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just sign him up already.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no reason for Spurs to be cheap here, RJ just gifted them millions of salary+luxtax relief, open up the pocketbook and bring the dude over, don't worry about getting someone else with part of the MLE, just bring back players like RJ, Ian, Hairston and etc.

throw that draft pick into the mix right away too

and for the love of god TRADE TONY PARKER!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not my money so I'm all for giving him the max ! Sign him up !

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KAHN!!!!!!!

Someones gotta have that video somewhere....

That s funny.

Thread Information