Page 22 of 309 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, don't know how many times this has to be said but this is the first time that SA should have legit max money to spend. Most rejection stemmed from the idea that this is a business and Spurs always had less money. Sucks, but true.
    They had it in 2001 (hence pursuing Webber and Finley) and 2003 (hence pursuing Kidd and Jermaine O'Neal).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They had it in 2001 (hence pursuing Webber and Finley) and 2003 (hence pursuing Kidd and Jermaine O'Neal).
    2001, they stopped pursuing Webber and Finley cause the CBA allowed them to get 7 years for max contract, plus Spurs were having to re-sign D-Rob and DA at the time. D-Rob threatened to go to the Knicks after the Spurs offered him $8 million, and the FO caved in and gave D-Rob 2 yrs $20 million after Spurs fans threatened to revoke their season tickets if they weren't able to retain D-Rob. DA already had his mind made up on Portland so they worked a sign n trade to get Steve Smith aka "HITA"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be really surprised if Aldridge took less money from Portland to play on a tier team with an even worse chucker and a bunch of rookies/nobodies than coming to a team of champions with a top 5 player of all-time and the 23 year old DPOY with one of the GOAT coaches for the same money tbh. He's not going to LA imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2003, Could have had Kidd, but it worked out since we had 20 yr old Parker and Manu coming off his rookie season to build around for the next decade. Jermaine ONeal didn't want to come to SA cause he was the man in Indiana and was only 24 yrs old at the time and only played for Indy for 2 years at the time and had a core to build around him with Ron Artest and Jamaal Tinsley, AL Harrington, plus Reggie Miller in his twilight. Aldridge already put in 9 yrs in the NBA for one squad.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they worked a sign n trade to get Steve Smith aka "HITA"
    people still use my nickname for that got

How ed is it he has a ring and Chuck Person doesn't?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's why I used it. I knew it would get your attention! Lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I felt bad for guys like Terry Porter and Antonio McDyess who busted their ass with the Spurs to get a ring but came up short.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most reports also had Kidd wanting to come here before his wife shot it down.
    I think he really did want to be in SA and was going to sign, good he didn't in the long run.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2001, they stopped pursuing Webber and Finley cause the CBA allowed them to get 7 years for max contract, plus Spurs were having to re-sign D-Rob and DA at the time. D-Rob threatened to go to the Knicks after the Spurs offered him $8 million, and the FO caved in and gave D-Rob 2 yrs $20 million after Spurs fans threatened to revoke their season tickets if they weren't able to retain D-Rob. DA already had his mind made up on Portland so they worked a sign n trade to get Steve Smith aka "HITA"
    Yep, I remember watching a TV set at the gym when it said D ROB interested in the Knicks and shook my head. He was insulted by the Spurs offer of less money and got a good last deal for himself out of it, they were not going to let him walk. I can't blame him but TD is taking a lot less and still at a higher level than D ROB in his last few years and then some, shows you what kind of unselfish guy he is man (One of a kind).

BTW still don't like DA after that one year, dude went about it like a baby with his loyalty crap and he was NEVER the same player after SA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would help those who are to not get their hopes up by being delusional enough to believe a top free agent would sign with the Spurs. Name me one top free agent the Spurs were able to sign? and don't say Derek Anderson..
    Michael Finley

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, I remember watching a TV set at the gym when it said D ROB interested in the Knicks and shook my head. He was insulted by the Spurs offer of less money and got a good last deal for himself out of it, they were not going to let him walk. I can't blame him but TD is taking a lot less and still at a higher level than D ROB in his last few years and then some, shows you what kind of unselfish guy he is man (One of a kind).

BTW still don't like DA after that one year, dude went about it like a baby with his loyalty crap and he was NEVER the same player after the Juwan Howard flagrant foul in Game 1 of the Semis.
    Fify

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not an American, but don't students from the Big Three Ivies look down on the rest of the schools?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    do the spurs have a meeting lined up for july 1? if so, duncan can persuade LMA
    The free-agent plan for the Spurs is to quickly agree on a five-year max deal with Leonard – “It will be a short conversation,” one person with knowledge of the dynamics said – and empower Leonard to join Duncan in an all-out recruitment of All-Star free agent LaMarcus Aldridge, league sources told CBSSports.com.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Maybe in Portland's system where players have free will to put up any shot they want as opposed to a more disciplined system in SA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's furiously jerking off to those 3 pt numbers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

BTW still don't like DA after that one year, dude went about it like a baby with his loyalty crap and he was NEVER the same player after SA.
    I liked DA because it seemed that he actually liked the Spurs and wanted to play for us when he was a free agent. After he joined the team, I recall him saying that he watched the Spurs and he thought the main thing that they were lacking was a penetrator and that he thought he could be a great fit here. I liked that he looked at it from a Basketball standpoint and a fit standpoint, I thought that was refreshing to see someone actually looking at the team purely from a Basketball stance.

He completely lost me though after scoring 2 points or whatever it was in the games he played in the Lakers series and then asking for a huge contract straight after. That didn't sit well with me at all. I know that Lakers team was great and that he had a separated shoulder, but I always wonder how that series would have went it he was healthy and able to play in those first two games at home that were close. He could have made a difference and changed the whole series if it wasn't for that asshole Juwan Howard.

Anyone know how bad his shoulder was and if he should have even been playing? Did he try and gut it out just to play those two games?

Also, with the Robinson thing, how much money did they offer him? I always thought their first offer was 1 million dollars or something ridiculously low like that. I either got the wrong info or my memory was/is off. A poster above mentioned 8 million. Was that the first offer? The low ball offer? If so, my opinion has actually changed. I think that was a decent offer if in conjunction they were able to get Webber or another significant free agent by offering him that much. I do remember him being upset and talking about going to the Knicks. I also remember the fans were pissed about possibly losing him and then putting pressure on the front office to up the offer. For some reason though, I'm just remembering the offer being very low, a lot lower than 8 million.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's furiously jerking off to those 3 pt numbers.
    That imagery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Doesn't look too bad. Gonna have to get a new # though...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Not nearly as ed up as Bonner and Ayres having rings unlike HOFs like Ewing, Barkley, Stockton, and Malone...Well Malone and Barkley, actually, but still.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe in Portland's system where players have free will to put up any shot they want as opposed to a more disciplined system in SA.
    Maybe Aldridge wants to know if Pop will maintain his FGA/minutes per game, before signing...

You can't take 20 shots like he did in regular season and expect good shot selection in every one, with that usage % and the same FGA per game I don't think LMA can have better FG% even under Spurs system.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for bringing this up. I hate it when people don't bring this up, or use it as an example for big name free agent signings not working out. That was pretty much one of the only seasons I was happy with the free agent signings that the Spurs made after winning the Championship the year before. If only Tony Massenburg could have come back, then I would have been 100% satisfied and happy with that off-season.

I always want the Spurs to reload after a Championship and I thought they had a great off-season there. Some people say that it was a failure and it didn't work out, but I disagree completely. As far as I'm concerned, that off season was a success and that team was the best team in the NBA. Definitely should have won the Championship and I'm still pissed about it anytime I see footage of Miami celebrating.

There's so many things that ed the Spurs over. Pop going small, Pop playing Van Exel over Beno when Van Exel clearly didn't have it, the horrendous officiating in the Dallas series in the 4th quarters of games 3 and 4 on the road with critical bad calls that fouled Tim and Manu out when they were both dominating the quarter, Tim having plantar fasciitis (playing through it and still playing well), Manu's foul etc. That team was definitely the best in the NBA that year and they should have won it. That is a definite championship that was left on the table IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only 2 more days until this dream becomes a reality.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I liked DA because it seemed that he actually liked the Spurs and wanted to play for us when he was a free agent. After he joined the team, I recall him saying that he watched the Spurs and he thought the main thing that they were lacking was a penetrator and that he thought he could be a great fit here. I liked that he looked at it from a Basketball standpoint and a fit standpoint, I thought that was refreshing to see someone actually looking at the team purely from a Basketball stance.

He completely lost me though after scoring 2 points or whatever it was in the games he played in the Lakers series and then asking for a huge contract straight after. That didn't sit well with me at all. I know that Lakers team was great and that he had a separated shoulder, but I always wonder how that series would have went it he was healthy and able to play in those first two games at home that were close. He could have made a difference and changed the whole series if it wasn't for that asshole Juwan Howard.

Anyone know how bad his shoulder was and if he should have even been playing? Did he try and gut it out just to play those two games?

Also, with the Robinson thing, how much money did they offer him? I always thought their first offer was 1 million dollars or something ridiculously low like that. I either got the wrong info or my memory was/is off. A poster above mentioned 8 million. Was that the first offer? The low ball offer? If so, my opinion has actually changed. I think that was a decent offer if in conjunction they were able to get Webber or another significant free agent by offering him that much. I do remember him being upset and talking about going to the Knicks. I also remember the fans were pissed about possibly losing him and then putting pressure on the front office to up the offer. For some reason though, I'm just remembering the offer being very low, a lot lower than 8 million.
    The way LA was playing those playoffs I doubt the Spurs beat them, although they might have won 2 games in that series if he were healthy? The last two games forget it they were a blowout as was game #1 if I remember correct? That game was not really close at all after the first half, LA took over and killed the Spurs in the 2nd half. LA was on a roll that year, it was their year bar none (I think the Spurs win game 2 though, another possible but doubtful).

I don't know what they offered D ROB? I think it was an okay deal from what I saw back then but he refused it and was insulted by it so he got a good deal from the Spurs after that and stayed. Remember the cap was lower then so his salary was about in the range of 12 mill or so in today's terms, being on his last legs and all he was PAID. I am not saying they should have let their legend walk but man he surely was not taking a TD discount and playing for basically pennies for his ability, plus TD is at a wayyyyyyyy higher level than D ROB his last two years. TD is special, you won't get another one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only 2 more days until this dream becomes a reality.

Might be a little longer... IIRC, players can't sign until July 10, which I suppose gives them a little more drama time to toy with teams...

Thread Information