Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, none of that is true. I don't think you've been paying attention.
    You’re right, it was actually just pure incompetence.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thought this was gonna be a parody thread when I opened it.
    The collective IQ of this fanbase seem to hobble out the door with Tim Duncan when he retired.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    As much as many Spurs fans thinks it would be a bad trade for the Spurs, it’s not a good trade for the Pistons either. A lot of people make assumptions about other teams. The Pistons wouldn’t necessarily want two more first round picks from this draft. Argument that Jerami Grant doesn’t fit the Pistons young players’ timeline is often an argument that just doesn’t make sense to me. It’s not practical to have 5-7 core players all be the same age on a team, because then if you really like all of them, it’s near impossible to pay and keep them all. The Pistons have five players from the previous two drafts that are likely all part of the rotation for the foreseeable future (Cunningham, Bey, Stewart, Hayes, Livers) and another young guy in Bagley who they actually want to keep. They have the #5 pick in this draft. That’s 7 “young” guys already, not including guys like Diallo, Lee, and Garza who are not cemented in the rotation but may find a way into the future rotation.

The Pistons don’t (or shouldn’t) want more draft picks. In the next 2-3 off seasons they’d have to find a way to pay them all. The roster is packed with youth. Jerami Grant not only brings some veteran balance to the rotation, but Troy Weaver loves the kid, and they have a relationship dating back to Grant’s childhood. And he’s publicly stated that he would like to keep Grant and it would take an overwhelming offer to deal him. He’s willing to deal him, but the offer would have to really blow him away. At least that’s what Weaver has suggested.

As for Grant’s worth, I’m not one to say he’s this or that. But if you consider that super max guys are now in the range of $50+ million per, third and fourth highest paid players on playoff teams are making in the range $25 million or more, I don’t think Jerami Grant’s necessarily overpaid. Idk maybe... But even if he were to get a raise to say $25 million, I think that’s probably right around his free agent market value, maybe a touch on the high side. But there are guys that come off the bench getting paid $20 million per (e.g. Gallinari). Dallas has two guys off the bench making just under $20M per (Dinwiddie, THJ). That’s the NBA cap market now.

As for him being a 20 point scorer on a bad team, well that’s true but it doesn’t mean it’s empty stats necessarily. There are other bad teams like Orlando, Houston that don’t have guys averaging 20 points a game. It’s not as simple as giving a guy the green light to shoot. And then there are bad teams that do have 20 point scorers like De’Aaron Fox, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Dejounte Murray, but majority of fans seem to view them as really good players not guys putting up empty stats. Why differentiate those players as good players but Grant as a guy putting up empty stats? Grant has put up more shots, sure, and at times has chucked a lot of shots in games the past two years. The talent, or more appropriately the lack of talent, on the Pistons has dictated him to do so. He’s not franchise player. I don’t even think he’s a good #2 guy offensively. I think he fits in somewhere as a third option offensively (at best) on a playoff team. And I think $20 million is actually right around the going rate for that. You know, a Marcus Smart type role on offense. Not the guy, not the 2nd guy. But the 3rd, maybe 4th guy who every now and the has a big game.

Spurs fans may think this trade proposal is a joke for the Spurs. I’m telling you as a Pistons fans, I’m not doing it either if I’m the Pistons. There are rumors about Portland offering the #7 and Bledsoe’s expiring that only has like $3.7 million guaranteed, and I wouldn’t do that either. This draft is top heavy with the first 4-5 picks. After that, a big drop off. I don’t think the #9 pick is all that valuable in this draft. I don’t think it’s a good bet that the #9 pick from this draft is a better player than Jerami Grant next season or in 2-3 seasons from now. #20 pick does even less but crowd the roster with more youth that needs to be developed. It’s not a good trade for the Pistons. If the Pistons trade Grant, I’d prefer a young, more somewhat proven NBA player over a draft pick in this draft outside the top 5.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Woj reported 2 first as the asking price.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As much as many Spurs fans thinks it would be a bad trade for the Spurs, it’s not a good trade for the Pistons either. A lot of people make assumptions about other teams. The Pistons wouldn’t necessarily want two more first round picks from this draft. Argument that Jerami Grant doesn’t fit the Pistons young players’ timeline is often an argument that just doesn’t make sense to me. It’s not practical to have 5-7 core players all be the same age on a team, because then if you really like all of them, it’s near impossible to pay and keep them all. The Pistons have five players from the previous two drafts that are likely all part of the rotation for the foreseeable future (Cunningham, Bey, Stewart, Hayes, Livers) and another young guy in Bagley who they actually want to keep. They have the #5 pick in this draft. That’s 7 “young” guys already, not including guys like Diallo, Lee, and Garza who are not cemented in the rotation but may find a way into the future rotation.

The Pistons don’t (or shouldn’t) want more draft picks. In the next 2-3 off seasons they’d have to find a way to pay them all. The roster is packed with youth. Jerami Grant not only brings some veteran balance to the rotation, but Troy Weaver loves the kid, and they have a relationship dating back to Grant’s childhood. And he’s publicly stated that he would like to keep Grant and it would take an overwhelming offer to deal him. He’s willing to deal him, but the offer would have to really blow him away. At least that’s what Weaver has suggested.

As for Grant’s worth, I’m not one to say he’s this or that. But if you consider that super max guys are now in the range of $50+ million per, third and fourth highest paid players on playoff teams are making in the range $25 million or more, I don’t think Jerami Grant’s necessarily overpaid. Idk maybe... But even if he were to get a raise to say $25 million, I think that’s probably right around his free agent market value, maybe a touch on the high side. But there are guys that come off the bench getting paid $20 million per (e.g. Gallinari). Dallas has two guys off the bench making just under $20M per (Dinwiddie, THJ). That’s the NBA cap market now.

As for him being a 20 point scorer on a bad team, well that’s true but it doesn’t mean it’s empty stats necessarily. There are other bad teams like Orlando, Houston that don’t have guys averaging 20 points a game. It’s not as simple as giving a guy the green light to shoot. And then there are bad teams that do have 20 point scorers like De’Aaron Fox, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Dejounte Murray, but majority of fans seem to view them as really good players not guys putting up empty stats. Why differentiate those players as good players but Grant as a guy putting up empty stats? Grant has put up more shots, sure, and at times has chucked a lot of shots in games the past two years. The talent, or more appropriately the lack of talent, on the Pistons has dictated him to do so. He’s not franchise player. I don’t even think he’s a good #2 guy offensively. I think he fits in somewhere as a third option offensively (at best) on a playoff team. And I think $20 million is actually right around the going rate for that. You know, a Marcus Smart type role on offense. Not the guy, not the 2nd guy. But the 3rd, maybe 4th guy who every now and the has a big game.

Spurs fans may think this trade proposal is a joke for the Spurs. I’m telling you as a Pistons fans, I’m not doing it either if I’m the Pistons. There are rumors about Portland offering the #7 and Bledsoe’s expiring that only has like $3.7 million guaranteed, and I wouldn’t do that either. This draft is top heavy with the first 4-5 picks. After that, a big drop off. I don’t think the #9 pick is all that valuable in this draft. I don’t think it’s a good bet that the #9 pick from this draft is a better player than Jerami Grant next season or in 2-3 seasons from now. #20 pick does even less but crowd the roster with more youth that needs to be developed. It’s not a good trade for the Pistons. If the Pistons trade Grant, I’d prefer a young, more somewhat proven NBA player over a draft pick in this draft outside the top 5.
    A rare JamStone sighting! Hope your good, and great thoughts.

Like others have said...I would take on Grant as perhaps a FA (on a reasonable deal) if he was choosing to commit to San Antonio. He does fill a need here, but he has never really struck me as a difference maker and that is what the Spurs need. We have lots of guys on our roster that can put up points if you give them enough shots...we need real leaders.

But giving up an entire year of draft capital (and perhaps the most draft capital we've had in 20 years) plus having to S&T to take on a bad contract, all of which could be for a rental....that's a to the no.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I didn’t read what Woj or anyone else reported. And I’m not speaking on behalf of Troy Weaver. I’m telling you what I think from a Pistons fan perspective.

I’m not naive enough to think all five of the young Pistons players drafted in the previous two drafts will all be part of the core in the future of the Pistons. But what I am getting at is that at some point a team trying to take the next step from bad to average and maybe even from bad to good, it’s not a very prudent plan to just keep adding young players year after year from the draft. I personally don’t like OKC’s plan of action. At some point, you have to mix in some veteran players and maybe deal away some of those young kids or even just let them walk to take that next step. Having a roster full of 18-23 year olds is only good if there are several very good to elite NBA players among them. And even then, you add a couple veteran role players to balance the roster.

I doubt Troy Weaver just wants 2 first round picks from this draft for Grant, regardless what is being reported. I would think he’d prefer 1 high first round pick from this draft, 1 young NBA player he really likes, and a future first round pick. That’s also 2 first round picks, but keeping one in his pocket for the future. That’s the type of deal I think is more likely the asking price. So say, for example, Troy Weaver is talking to the Blazers (as rumored), he’d ask for the #7 pick in this draft, Anfernee Simons, and Portland’s 2024 first round pick (maybe with some protection). That is something I can see being a trade package for Grant. And I wouldn’t say no to that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

As a piston fan, what type of deal would you be looking for to move Grant? Or would you just prefer to extend him?

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    The Blazers trade package I mentioned just above is the type of deal I’d want for Grant as a Pistons fan.

I would have zero problem extending Jerami Grant $75M/3 years for that $25 million per. Weaver has yet to offer a 4 year contract to anyone. I don’t know that he’d do it for Jerami either. I’m not opposed to 100/4, I’d just try 75/3 first.

But the thinking is Cade Cunningham is not up for his first big contract extension for another 3-4 years and there are no other big money contracts on the Pistons payroll now that Blake Griffin’s money is off the books. But that also means there should be room in the payroll for another max type contract and if Grant is extended, I would hope that accompanies another major move in this off season or next off season for one more max caliber type player. But I can’t tell you who I would want that to be because I’m not sure who I’d want, who’s available, and if they would want to join the Pistons.

But what I’m getting at is I’m okay if Jerami Grant is the third best offensive player on the Pistons. If he’s getting paid to be the #2 guy and no other big move for a better #2 player happens, I’d be less ok with extending him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Blazers trade package I mentioned just above is the type of deal I’d want for Grant as a Pistons fan.

I would have zero problem extending Jerami Grant $75M/3 years for that $25 million per. Weaver has yet to offer a 4 year contract to anyone. I don’t know that he’d do it for Jerami either. I’m not opposed to 100/4, I’d just try 75/3 first.

But the thinking is Cade Cunningham is not up for his first big contract extension for another 3-4 years and there are no other big money contracts on the Pistons payroll now that Blake Griffin’s money is off the books. But that also means there should be room in the payroll for another max type contract and if Grant is extended, I would hope that accompanies another major move in this off season or next off season for one more max caliber type player. But I can’t tell you who I would want that to be because I’m not sure who I’d want, who’s available, and if they would want to join the Pistons.

But what I’m getting at Ian I’m okay if Jerami Grant is the third best offensive player on the Pistons. If he’s getting paid to be the #2 guy and no other big move for a better #2 player happens, I’d be less ok with extending him.
    Extending him makes the most sense from my perspective. I think it increases his trade value (next summer) because he'd be locked up and not a rental. I think you guys are in a little bit of a tough spot here.. on one hand he can get $25 on the market and he's a little upset your FO didn't lock him up earlier so he's probably going to want to extract a higher yearly number to stay in Detroit....on the other hand I don't think anyone in their right mind is going to offer you a top 10 pick for a one year rental unless it's a bigger and more complicated deal involving other considerations...

If it were me I'd guage the market and extend him at $25 if his representatives are amenable....if it doesn't look like I can get him at $25M/per I'd try and move him for whatever is the best offer with as little salary coming back as possible and move on...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Word was the Nuggets offered Grant the same money as Detroit, but he wanted to be more of a number one option in an offense, and he wasn't going to be that behind Jokic, Murray, and MPJ in Denver. There were other factors in his decision too, but I have to wonder at the choice to leave the best passing center on the planet, a guy who will get you better shots and never be stingy about sharing the ball, just to be the guy in a rebuild... It seems like a classic example of needing to be careful about what you wish for. Jokic plays the right way, and Grant will probably never have a teammate who's his equal, even if he plays another decade. Detroit won 23 games last year with a young roster, so maybe a big leap next season would take them to 35? At this pace Grant is looking at
    maybe making the playoffs by the time he's 30, and on a team where Cade Cunningham is the #1 option.

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/12/0...aving-nuggets/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t agree with the entire OKC plan but their exchange of caproom for picks has been nothing short of brilliant. The fact that Detroit, who is obviously is tanking, didn’t do the same, but paid a journeyman $20M to come and score 20ppg on a team is astounding.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Detroit wasn’t tanking last season. They were just bad, especially early on to start the season and had long injuries to their top two players, Cade and Jerami. Cade to the start of the season and Jerami not long after Cade finally returned to the line-up. The team never got any chemistry to their planned starting unit until after the all star break. They actually played really well around and after the all star break, ending Boston’s whatever it was 17 game win streak, beating other playoff teams like Cleveland and Philly and Toronto and Atlanta with those teams trying to win. And then the finally week or two, they did start to sit guys and tank. They did not go into the season proactively tanking. They just couldn’t get their together until it was too late into the season. And $20 million for Jerami Grant, who any of us could argue is a solid #3 offensive option, doesn’t sound so crazy to me for a team and city that has a hard time luring bigger name free agents and after a year would have a pretty wide open payroll. The price wasn’t terrible. And journeyman or not, he proved with more freedom and shots, he was capable of being a 20 point scorer. With the proper and accurate context, astounding is nowhere near the reaction you should have with the signing.

I know it’s often been framed in the media that Jerami Grant left Denver to be a #1 guy with the question why would he leave playing with Jokic. But I don’t know how accurate that is. He definitely wanted to have a bigger role offensively, but it wasn’t necessarily about being the #1 or even #2 guy. Look at the Nuggets. They’re built around Jokic, but their #1 scorer was Murray. And Michael Porter Jr. was trending as another go-to scorer. At best, at the very best, Jerami Grant was the #4 option on offense, along with a guy like Will Barton who plays with the ball in his hands, so maybe in reality Jerami is the #5 option. He wanted a bigger role on offense wherever he signed, but I don’t know that he was looking to be or demanding to Ben th #1 guy. Maybe just not the #4 or #5 guy.

And two things about signing with Detroit. 1) Jerami did have an existing relationship with Troy Weaver that predates even their year together at OKC. Apparently Weaver is familiar with Jerami and his father Harvey from the Baltimore area. They also have a Syracuse connection. And 2) Jerami has publicly spoke how special and important it was playing for a black coach and a black GM in a black city, particularly in the midst of the racial divide in the country during all the George Floyd, Breonna Taylor stuff that went on during that 2019-20 season. He has stated how important it was to get involved with the black community in Detroit and he’s been pretty involved.

So it wasn’t simply just to sign with a team to be a #1 guy.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JamStone summed it up.

Detroit wouldn't even be interested in what the Spurs have to offer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JamStone summed it up.

Detroit wouldn't even be interested in what the Spurs have to offer.
    Sounds like Jerami wouldn’t be interested, either.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t agree with the entire OKC plan but their exchange of caproom for picks has been nothing short of brilliant. The fact that Detroit, who is obviously is tanking, didn’t do the same, but paid a journeyman $20M to come and score 20ppg on a team is astounding.
    Still TBD. If they flip him for 7 and other pieces they can use/re-flip, it may end up being “brilliant” too.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like Jerami wouldn’t be interested, either.
    He wouldn't be able to veto the trade, but yeah it sounds like he wouldn't sign an extension to stay in SA, which removes all incentive for the Spurs to trade for him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He wouldn't be able to veto the trade, but yeah it sounds like he wouldn't sign an extension to stay in SA, which removes all incentive for the Spurs to trade for him.
    Grant is never coming to the spurs, nor should we want him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yea, all these fantasy scenarios are a waste of time

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I realize the commentary is about OP, but I find it hard to believe the Pistons wouldn't at least consider my fake trade (it'd probably depend on specifically who is available at 9) or that Grant wouldn't do likewise if the Spurs offer market value on an extension.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1/3 right. We should want him (he'd make this team MUCH better overnight on his presence alone, which would allow the two spots below him to play in position). He is not coming to the Spurs, though. And if he did come on a trade, he wouldn't resign. Ergo, he's not worth it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After first exhausting trade up options for Murray and if necessary Mathurin, I'd considering trading 9 for someone like this.

His being 28, expiring, the cost to extend (considering these things and his priority of being a pseudo star, he's likely to accept market value and they'd obviously gauge that beforehand), none of it really matters considering this is a "soft" re-build.

They'll be hard pressed to lure someone better in free agency anytime soon, he's a good theoretical fit and presuming relative health should have decent resale value if they decide to pivot in a few years. That said, it'd probably take something like this . . .

Hornets receive: Poeltl, 25
    Pistons receive: Washington Jr., Jones, 9
    Spurs receive: Grant, 15
    that's one of the worst trades ever. Basically all 3 teams are off worse after that trade

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Word was the Nuggets offered Grant the same money as Detroit, but he wanted to be more of a number one option in an offense, and he wasn't going to be that behind Jokic, Murray, and MPJ in Denver. There were other factors in his decision too, but I have to wonder at the choice to leave the best passing center on the planet, a guy who will get you better shots and never be stingy about sharing the ball, just to be the guy in a rebuild... It seems like a classic example of needing to be careful about what you wish for. Jokic plays the right way, and Grant will probably never have a teammate who's his equal, even if he plays another decade. Detroit won 23 games last year with a young roster, so maybe a big leap next season would take them to 35? At this pace Grant is looking at
    maybe making the playoffs by the time he's 30, and on a team where Cade Cunningham is the #1 option.

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/12/0...aving-nuggets/
    Thanks for sharing that article.
    It was interesting for the context of his mentality as you say, but what really caught my eye was that Denver traded a first round pick for him when he had a year left on his prior contract and he left them hanging because he wanted a bigger role. They traded for him because they had all the desire and intention of re-signing him. They matched what he got from Detroit and promised to help him develop his game further, etc. No matter, his ego was flattered and he left for the promise of a bigger role.

I am not as critical of his ego because all players that aspire to greatness often need to have a healthy or even heavy dose of ego and even irrational confidence. I don’t fault him his ambition, so much as noticing the risk and gamble that didn’t pay off for Denver failing to re-sign him. Why would another team do the same, trading not just one but two (!) first round picks when he would be again a one year rental? No thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not as critical of his ego because all players that aspire to greatness often need to have a healthy or even heavy dose of ego and even irrational confidence. I don’t fault him his ambition, so much as noticing the risk and gamble that didn’t pay off for Denver failing to re-sign him. Why would another team do the same, trading not just one but two (!) first round picks when he would be again a one year rental? No thanks.

Every time I see a story like this, I'm reminded of how incredibly lucky the Spurs were to have both Manu and Timmy. Either guy could've gone elsewhere for more money or simply demanded more to stay. I often think of how satisfied Manu must be looking back at his career, and wonder if guys like Iverson, Melo, or others could possibly have the same level of contentment. They'll always have the street cred and the "I was a badass alpha" moniker, but Manu out-thought & outplayed them in pretty much every aspect.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL this thread. So all the Pistons got for Grant is Milwaukee's 2025 first, which will almost certainly be late 20s, Portland's #36 this year, and a couple more seconds. Told you this bum wasn't worth .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if SpursTalk will ever learn how to evaluate players properly.

Thread Information