View Poll Results: Do you want the Spurs to keep DeRozan after this season?

Voters
180. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

88 48.89%
  • No

92 51.11%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keep him. You need a superstar to win in this league and right now DeRozan is the only star we have. That being said the only players I don’t want back next year are Lyles, Weatherspoon and maybe Gay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No ring with him. No ring without him. Let him go. I don't care if the FA class is bad next year. The Spurs need to see what these young guys can actually do, Derozan is only going to eat minutes. If the Spurs miss the playoffs next year, so be it. Get a better pick. Have maximum cap space for 2022.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's tough. I really feel like we need to rip the band-aid. We need a couple top 10 picks.

This being first round fodder/low lottery stuff is detrimental to the long-term future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's true that no one on the Spurs currently demands as much defensive attention as DeMar, and that he makes the game easier for his teammates. But the way I see it, he's not gonna be around by the time this core of players is ready to contend - so they might as well get to experience "full pressure" of having to carry the team on their shoulders as soon as possible. Along this way, we'll also have an easier time seeing who should stick, and who shouldn't, since we're unlikely to keep all of these players on the team + all of our draft picks to come.
    That's not how rebuilding, building, and player progression works. You don't throw in a child and say swim. Bad habits and losing culture is the likely destination of your idea of this team. You could clearly argue that those young players would be a step behind without players like DDR in the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No ring with him. No ring without him. Let him go. I don't care if the FA class is bad next year. The Spurs need to see what these young guys can actually do, Derozan is only going to eat minutes. If the Spurs miss the playoffs next year, so be it. Get a better pick. Have maximum cap space for 2022.
    Have max cap space for 2022 so the Spurs can sign a player that's likely worse than DDR?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wow, my vote just broke the tie ... I am not a Demar hater and I think he makes our offense much much better. He could take a few more threes, but its just not what he is looking for. But his playmaking is All-Star worthy. I just don't like that in clutch situations it has to be him and nobody else.

Why no? Lets ride a young team and use the money for a shooting big with some defensive skills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Extend him to a 2 year deal.

He’s the best closer on our team by a landslide and the young guys will get better playing with him

No brainer IMO that we keep Demar but not for more than 2 years

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Extend him to a 2 year deal.

He’s the best closer on our team by a landslide and the young guys will get better playing with him

No brainer IMO that we keep Demar but not for more than 2 years
    I agree. But he will want 3. Maybe we might see one of the weird guaranteed money in the 3rd year type of deals.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sign him for three years. Buy him out in year three? Sounds like a plan!

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bye, bye demar. The sooner, the better

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Demar, but am more interested in fully committing to youth. Lonnie gets a huge confidence boost when he knows he has to step into Demar's role each time he's been out this season

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say no because he doesn't fit the timeline with the younger players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there a way to see who's voting what? I wanna know who are my fellow No-Derozanites. I thought there was only like 5 or 6 of us lol count's up to 22 now
    I'm one of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The think about clutch situations is that the ball is not going to move away from him. There is no ing off ball movement. If Manu had the ball, you'd see all this action and then Manu could take it in or pass to an open 3 guy. We know what detrash is going to do and he really can't ever get a good shot either. Some pump fakes into a fadeaway where he gets blocked is his usual M O.
    thats exactly what bugs me ... why can he not be the exact playmaker in that situation? if he gets open shoot it, but if not pass the damn ball ... our young guys need the chance to take clutch shots as well ... even if its catch and shoot

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd like him to stay at the right price/years. Full MAX, pass. Maybe MAX at 2-3 years, maybe... He's on the wrong side of 30, while not all his fault, hasn't lead this team too much, etc. But you know maybe a 2 yr deal around 50-55 ? Think he'll want Hayward kind of money this summer, I think was 4/127 ?

Why not?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not how rebuilding, building, and player progression works. You don't throw in a child and say swim. Bad habits and losing culture is the likely destination of your idea of this team. You could clearly argue that those young players would be a step behind without players like DDR in the team.
    Agreed completely. I also think too many people on this website let perfect be the enemy of good. Is Demar the best option for this team? No, there are better players out there who would help the Spurs contend more than Demar does. 99% of the people who want Demar back would agree with that. However, the Spurs have no chance at getting any of those better players so its better to keep Demar around to keep the culture intact.

The alternative is let him go, and let the young talent sink or swim. Maybe that would work out, but if it doesn't, the Spurs will have alienated their young players and destroyed their near-term future. They'd become a has-been like the Lakers in the 2010s, only they wouldn't have a Kobe to keep the fanbase happy.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he has adapted his game to the point that he is not hindering the growth of the young guys. He is not the usage monster anymore, he is now a point forward. 14th in assist per game this season with a ridiculously low 1.7 TO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People would be salivating over themselves if we were pursuing a 31 year old, 6'7" free agent, multi-time all-star averaging 20, 5 and 7, who's a loyal, team player.

We have one and half the forum want him gone. Cracks me up.

News flash, we're not going to fill that void overnight. So be prepared for a nice step back in compe iveness if he walks.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    People would be salivating over themselves if we were pursuing a 31 year old, 6'7" free agent, multi-time all-star averaging 20, 5 and 7, who's a loyal, team player.

We have one and half the forum want him gone. Cracks me up.

News flash, we're not going to fill that void overnight. So be prepared for a nice step back in compe iveness if he walks.
    His previous all star appearances were in the East so they have little value. Since moving West, he hasn't made the all-star team once in the past three years despite recording career numbers. The reality is Demar doesn't raise your ceiling much. If your aspirations are to be a treadmill team in the West, Demar's your guy. But he's not making you a contender. At most, first round fodder(current Spurs).

Considering how much Demar wants, he's not worth it. Spurs already offered him an extension and he turned it down. In my experience, Spurs have always offered fair value in contract negotiations. They've even been known to overpay at times(Patty, TP last contract). If Demar feels insulted by the Spurs offers, than he's clearly overvaluing himself.
    Last edited by Kurgan; 03-19-2021 at 12:14 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keep DDR at high $$
    Need to get rid of Keldon
    They play the same spot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeMar is getting better as a Spur and stabilizes the young core. Plus he makes the team more attractive to free agents.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the spurs were in the position to be chasing Demar as an external FA and not an in bent I’d have the exact same reaction as I did with the Vucevic “rumors”

Meh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, idk. Depends on a lot of things.

He's our best player and the only reliable scoring option. But the problem is that he needs a specific supporting cast.
    If we're to become a legit playoff team, that is.

He can't shoot and he's a bad defender. Two most important aspects of modern game.
    Now, if you look at the rest of starting lineup and only Derrick can become a legit 3pt threat who actually has some gravity.
    Noone will run Keldon or DJ off the 3pt line. Then you add Jakob into the mix and it gets even worse.

We have way too many similar players. We need a new Bowen. Devin can become that guy and I think if we extend Demar, starting Devin at some point in the future is inevitable. Or Lonnie if he improves his defense.

Keldon plays big, but him being a permanent PF isn't optimal.

No matter how you put it, our current roster has the unique combination of lacking size and spacing. Teams can either shoot or they have size. We have neither.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if Demar stays, there has to be a trade to accomodate him better. They won't re-sign him to stay mediocre.
    Then it comes down to if you want to keep Demar or all of the young guys?

Great player, bad fit. Something has to give.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Is there a way to see who's voting what? I wanna know who are my fellow No-Derozanites. I thought there was only like 5 or 6 of us lol count's up to 22 now
    when you make a poll you have an option of letting everyone see who voted for what.

but OP didn’t enable it cause he’s a idiot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To the yes crew:

What is the price tag to keep him and for how many years? Is there a certain point that makes you say
    no? And is it years or $ that is the dealbreaker. Is a 4 year max deal a no brainer for you?

ive detailed my answer but I want to hear from a different perspective.

Thread Information