Page 31 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What makes you think the ' e' is going to be small? Texas, for instance, is re-opening and the COVID-19 cases are on the rise. I think we'll see deaths double.

Unfortunately, yes.
    Well the death toll in Texas was already small, so it "doubling" wouldnt be a very big deal, and the whole cornerstone of the argument was that a disease with a 0.5% kill rate is not worth shutting down the entire populace over because you will do more harm than good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even in Texas which, you're right, has a relatively low death toll it's close to 2.7% of those infected have died. I actually think the figure in Texas will be a lot more than doubled due to the crowds we're seeing. The 'thinning of the herd' mentality seems to be what going on. I guess we are quickly going to find out. Hopefully the e won't be as bad as I'm thinking, but I'll be very surprised. I say so mainly because it looks to me as if people think it's over. Again 70,000 Americans dying in two months is more than died in Vietnam in 10 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even in Texas which, you're right, has a relatively low death toll it's close to 2.7% of those infected have died. I actually think the figure in Texas will be a lot more than doubled due to the crowds we're seeing. The 'thinning of the herd' mentality seems to be what going on. I guess we are quickly going to find out. Hopefully the e won't be as bad as I'm thinking, but I'll be very surprised. I say so mainly because it looks to me as if people think it's over. Again 70,000 Americans dying in two months is more than died in Vietnam in 10 years.
    expect around 140k in us by june 1st

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shams Charania is reporting that the NBA could be preparing to start the 2020-21 season on Christmas Day.

This would be a best-case scenario for the NBA if the season doesn't start on time, as Christmas Day is already the unofficial start of the season for casual fans and the most popular day of the season for most others. The league is still kicking around ideas of how to handle the end of the current season and the start of the next one, and is considering various scenarios for each of them. But you have to wonder if a start on Christmas Day in 2020-21 could carry over and reshape the entire NBA calendar in the future.

SOURCE: Shams Charania on Twitter
    May 4, 2020, 9:15 PM ET

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    expect around 140k in us by june 1st
    Yeah I do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shams Charania is reporting that the NBA could be preparing to start the 2020-21 season on Christmas Day.

This would be a best-case scenario for the NBA if the season doesn't start on time, as Christmas Day is already the unofficial start of the season for casual fans and the most popular day of the season for most others. The league is still kicking around ideas of how to handle the end of the current season and the start of the next one, and is considering various scenarios for each of them. But you have to wonder if a start on Christmas Day in 2020-21 could carry over and reshape the entire NBA calendar in the future.

SOURCE: Shams Charania on Twitter
    May 4, 2020, 9:15 PM ET

Wonder if they'll go with 82 games. They've already sold many of the tickets with season ticket holders throughout the country.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey ace3g, do you know if the games they've been showing on FSSW and ESPN are listed anywhere. Lately if I go to FSSW I can scroll ahead a few days and find the next game, but I don't know if it's a classic or this season. Just saw one for GSW and luckily it was Game 1 Round 2 of the 2013 Finals. Fun stuff....would at least to tape them all. Anybody?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well the death toll in Texas was already small, so it "doubling" wouldnt be a very big deal, and the whole cornerstone of the argument was that a disease with a 0.5% kill rate is not worth shutting down the entire populace over because you will do more harm than good.
    You made this political. Re-open is a Fox/GOP trope. No other groups are saying it.

The deaths won’t just double once. Exponential growth is a concept you people can’t seem to wrap your heads around

15 -> 0

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    We will likely lose well over 100k people. absolutely tragic.

But putting it into proper perspective, the death rate is likely, actually, below 1%. So many antibody tests around the world have shown us that 25-50% of people have it and have no idea as they are asymptomatic.

And I have been all for the mitigation. And I still think everyone should wear a mask in public for the foreseeable future -- but looking at our 'curve' in comparison to other nations, and I wonder how much good it has actually done. We have been around 30k cases per day since the beginning of April. After over a month of this, if it is truly effective, one would think we would be on a downward slope by now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

But putting it into proper perspective, the death rate is likely, actually, below 1%. So many antibody tests around the world have shown us that 25-50% of people have it and have no idea as they are asymptomatic.

And I have been all for the mitigation. And I still think everyone should wear a mask in public for the foreseeable future -- but looking at our 'curve' in comparison to other nations, and I wonder how much good it has actually done. We have been around 30k cases per day since the beginning of April. After over a month of this, if it is truly effective, one would think we would be on a downward slope by now.
    Well, when the list of essential businesses includes liquor and convenience stores, your lock down probably isn't tight enough.

The effectiveness is measure by the fact that the curve didn't e out of control. Flat and steady is a good thing for the half measures taken, but also a thing of the past with the loosening of restrictions.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Downward slope would probably require hard lockdowns and/or South Korea level mitigation efforts. There is a reason our media has talked about flattening the curve. Flattening the curve is only about reducing the speed of its growth from a huge e that overwhelms our medical system to a less sharp, more spread out growth. But a flatter curve is still an increasing one until a fairly signifcant portion of the population is infected (say 40%).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony Parker reveals his family tested positive for COVID-19

tl;dr: His father-in-law and sister-in-law contracted it in Paris. They are fine and have now recovered.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey ace3g, do you know if the games they've been showing on FSSW and ESPN are listed anywhere. Lately if I go to FSSW I can scroll ahead a few days and find the next game, but I don't know if it's a classic or this season. Just saw one for GSW and luckily it was Game 1 Round 2 of the 2013 Finals. Fun stuff....would at least to tape them all. Anybody?

I follow Spurs, FSSW, NBA, NBATV, and ESPN twitter accounts.

below is an example, usually tweeted day before/day of the replay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I follow Spurs, FSSW, NBA, NBATV, and ESPN twitter accounts.

below is an example, usually tweeted day before/day of the replay.

Thank you. Great tip! Especially FSSW. I probably follow the rest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How hard can it be to set up a camera + microphone and have the coach/es watch the workouts remotely? What a peculiar specification, I'm guessing it's to avoid the risk for older HCs like Pop who'll stubbornly want to be there, but it's a very easily cir vented restriction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony Parker reveals his family tested positive for COVID-19

tl;dr: His father-in-law and sister-in-law contracted it in Paris. They are fine and have now recovered.
    I still blame Trump.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve hard corona tree times and I’m still fine

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How hard can it be to set up a camera + microphone and have the coach/es watch the workouts remotely? What a peculiar specification, I'm guessing it's to avoid the risk for older HCs like Pop who'll stubbornly want to be there, but it's a very easily cir vented restriction.
    I'm sure that's what he means. It would be silly not to do it remotely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t know why but not ending the season is pissing me off just end it and start the damn draft.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t know why but not ending the season is pissing me off just end it and start the damn draft.
    This spurs team was pretty forgettable and not fun to watch. I do not want to see anymore of them this year. Plus the playoffs in this current setup would be trash. I would love to see Lebron and #2 not have the opportunity to win another le. These are the reasons why I don't want the season to comeback.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

this is absolutely ridiculous. Nba is going to need everything to go perfect to pull this off

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That won't stop Rona from getting in. You shed the highest levels of virus before you show any symptoms at all.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is absolutely ridiculous. Nba is going to need everything to go perfect to pull this off
    Them pulling this off is fantasy.

Thread Information