Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The teachings of the bible and Christianity encourages those things too tbh. Suppressing women and stoning sexuals has been done by Christians in the past.

Seems to me been like you're obsessed w labels and iden y politics. I personally don't give a about what people label me.

And I don't believe you would vote for Biden . I bet you anything that you have voted Republican your whole life. That's why I say these centrist Democrats like Biden and Hillary should just join the Republican party and let the progressives take over the Democrats.
    Ok Joe. Like I said, stick to regurgitating talking points of others. You're the next torch bearer for Boutons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting to see old racist white guys pretend they know the mindset of African Americans and people living in the "ghetto"
    Did this include me, tbh? I'm latino, mid-40s (not sure what comes across as 'old' these days), and don't believe to have a hint of racism in me.

I don't think it did when I read it the first time, just checking.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok Joe. Like I said, stick to regurgitating talking points of others. You're the next torch bearer for Boutons.
    Can't refute any of my claims so resorts to personal attacks

The truth stings buddy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't refute any of my claims so resorts to personal attacks

The truth stings buddy
    Ok Joe

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably a bit of an enigma (what's up my e-nigma?)

Then they aren't liberal. Maybe they are more centrist in ideology but vote based on what many of the community leaders recommend? One thing about whites, afaik we don't have tight communities and don't really adhere to the community leader template. I find I agree more with the blacks than with most of the whites, many seem more pragmatic, perhaps because of the differences in "reality" I mentioned earlier. Perhaps it has to do with the economic situation we were raised in, for the most part.

The tenets of Christianity I refer to are that Jesus is the son of God and that Jesus died for your sins, and all you have to do is accept that to be a Christian.

Its main points include:
    • Belief in God the Father, Jesus Christ as the Son of God, and the Holy Spirit.
    • The death, descent into , resurrection and ascension of Christ.
    • The holiness of the Church and the communion of saints.
    • Christ's second coming, the Day of Judgement and salvation of the faithful.

If you don't believe these things you aren't Christian. Likewise if you don't believe the tenets of Liberalism then you aren't Liberal.

What distinguishes is whether or not you believe in the tenets of liberalism, regardless how you vote.
    But see, here's a problem I have with your position. You start off making the claim that if people don't subscribe to the entire liberal agenda, they can't possibly be labeled liberal, but then when it comes to religion, you stick to the base tenets. That's an obvious pick and choose, and different standard for basically what amounts to the same exercise (labeling the group). I don't believe feminism or LBGTQ rights are 'tenets of liberalism', they're political positions du jour.

We were just talking about this with rmt, where I was explaining why Political Affiliation poll numbers differ from Political Identification polls numbers. Political Affiliation polls count voters that have registered as voter for a specific party. Political Identification polls count voters given their self-admitted leanings. One would think the latter is a much more dynamic crowd, as the affiliated crowd tend to be more staunch supporters, but that not quite statistically bears out. (here are the relevant poll numbers: https://news.gallup.com/poll/15370/p...filiation.aspx, https://news.gallup.com/poll/267239/...d-quarter.aspx)

Whereas party affiliation shows a breakdown of R: 29%, I: 38%, D: 31%, party identification shows R: 42%, I: 11%, D: 47%, and the average divergence in the past 20+ years is roughly +- 7 points (with Republicans having the biggest divergence).

And so the question is, do we call those that self-identify as Democrat leaners 'liberal' or not (likewise for conservatives)? This isn't based on a vote, but how they feel about themselves at that given point in time. I don't think it would be a stretch to do so. Sure, they likely don't subscribe to the entire ideology/talking points du jour, but the party identification numbers are probably way more accurate (based on voting records) than party affiliation numbers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So having a religious system and belief that suppresses women, kills Gays and anyone who doesn't believe as they do is OK as long as they don't try to get it into legislation?
    It's part of our Cons utionally protected religious freedom and freedom of speech, tbh... The alternative is thought crime and/or start carving out more exceptions to the 1st amendment for hate... which is undeniably a slippery slope.

Ultimately their acts (not beliefs) are checked against the laws, and so that's what keeps them in line, or jail.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blake wants to interject pithy remarks but lacks the IQ to be effective, so he gets slapped down on the regular then wants to quickly move on. Just sit in your corner there and beat off, like you normally do.
    I've injected two on topic direct questions you've avoided.

Keep avoiding them and then do another phony victory dance. Go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's part of our Cons utionally protected religious freedom and freedom of speech, tbh... The alternative is thought crime and/or start carving out more exceptions to the 1st amendment for hate... which is undeniably a slippery slope.

Ultimately their acts (not beliefs) are checked against the laws, and so that's what keeps them in line, or jail.
    The left isn't known for caring that much about the BoR. Not just the 2A but even the 1A gets applied in self-serving ways. So I don't accept the BoR as being the reason the far left supports Muslims.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've injected two on topic direct questions you've avoided.

Keep avoiding them and then do another phony victory dance. Go.
    "muh guns"

/Blake

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "muh guns"

/Blake
    Derp mode, activate!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The left isn't known for caring that much about the BoR. Not just the 2A but even the 1A gets applied in self-serving ways. So I don't accept the BoR as being the reason the far left supports Muslims.
    Oh hey more anecdotal bull . No way!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh hey more anecdotal bull . No way!
    Anecdote?

No more LIP from you... (Low Information Poster)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anecdote?

No more LIP from you... (Low Information Poster)
    Yes anecdote. You're a bull moron.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did this include me, tbh? I'm latino, mid-40s (not sure what comes across as 'old' these days), and don't believe to have a hint of racism in me.

not you fam

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh blame the "SJW" and "snowflake" boogeyman for all off society's problems right.

If only the left didn't exist we would have this utopian universe. That would put an end to corruption, illegal wars, etc.
    Last edited by TheGreatYacht; 10-13-2019 at 04:32 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But see, here's a problem I have with your position. You start off making the claim that if people don't subscribe to the entire liberal agenda, they can't possibly be labeled liberal, but then when it comes to religion, you stick to the base tenets. That's an obvious pick and choose, and different standard for basically what amounts to the same exercise (labeling the group). I don't believe feminism or LBGTQ rights are 'tenets of liberalism', they're political positions du jour.
    What are the base tenets of Liberalism? I said I would accept the Wiki description. So list the ones you think are fundamental to being liberal.
    We were just talking about this with rmt, where I was explaining why Political Affiliation poll numbers differ from Political Identification polls numbers. Political Affiliation polls count voters that have registered as voter for a specific party. Political Identification polls count voters given their self-admitted leanings. One would think the latter is a much more dynamic crowd, as the affiliated crowd tend to be more staunch supporters, but that not quite statistically bears out. (here are the relevant poll numbers: https://news.gallup.com/poll/15370/p...filiation.aspx, https://news.gallup.com/poll/267239/...d-quarter.aspx)

Whereas party affiliation shows a breakdown of R: 29%, I: 38%, D: 31%, party identification shows R: 42%, I: 11%, D: 47%, and the average divergence in the past 20+ years is roughly +- 7 points (with Republicans having the biggest divergence).

And so the question is, do we call those that self-identify as Democrat leaners 'liberal' or not (likewise for conservatives)? This isn't based on a vote, but how they feel about themselves at that given point in time. I don't think it would be a stretch to do so. Sure, they likely don't subscribe to the entire ideology/talking points du jour, but the party identification numbers are probably way more accurate (based on voting records) than party affiliation numbers.
    There's a difference in calling someone "liberal" based on their liberal views and "liberal" based on what party they'd fall into. Same with conservative. In fact, the god view I have would be a Christian one, but I don't believe a god exists. Since I was raised in a Christian household, and attended church regularly as a child, I still have the Christian version of God as the image I argue against when I debate against theism. That doesn't make me a Christian.

From Wiki: Liberalism aims to disperse power, to foster diversity and to nurture creativity. They can further be divided based on their adherence to social liberalism or classical liberalism, although all liberal parties and individuals share basic similarities, including the support for civil rights and democratic ins utions.

These groups on the left aren't looking to disperse power, they are looking to attain some for themselves. They aren't looking to foster diversity. They are looking to have their own differences accepted. The creativity part seems a bit nebulous.

For one, Americans aren't all on the same level of playing field, so different groups will have different goals. Some groups are more concerned with the welfare of their group than with the welfare of people in general. This can be seen in groups like we've discussed, who feel they have been disenfranchised. Instead of reaching out to say "no one should be disenfranchised" they say "we shouldn't be disenfranchised". How different is that than the conservatives saying "we shouldn't have to pay higher taxes" instead of saying "no one should have to pay higher taxes"?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm latino and don't believe to have a hint of racism in me
    lol...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh blame the "SJW" and "snowflake" boogeyman for all off society's problems right.

If only the left didn't exist we would have this utopian universe. That would put an end to corruption, illegal wars, etc.
    Ok Joe

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "it's cool fam - I'm latino aka not racist"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I know lots of Latinos and the first thing they ask is "what are you?" when they meet someone of a different skin shade. They discuss among themselves whether this person is this or that race. That might not be racist, since no preference is given, but Latinos are certainly racially proud folks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    btw fam doesn't mean Fat Ass Mexican, or so I've heard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cops are majority whites/males (majorities). Dems represent non whites and females (minorities).

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do most American police officers support/vote Republican?

Maybe cos most the heads their arresting are Democrats.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cops are majority whites/males (majorities). Dems represent non whites and females (minorities).
    Males aren't in the majority, dude.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dems are majority white as well.

In 2012 About 73% of officers in the US were white. That's a lower percentage than the white republicans.

Thread Information