Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...ongress-344198

House Republicans are short of the votes they need to avoid a government shutdown, but Speaker Paul Ryan and GOP leaders remain confident they will pass a stopgap funding measure when it comes to the floor on Thursday.

President Donald Trump is personally leaning on GOP lawmakers to fall into line, especially hard-line conservatives who are opposed to virtually anything Ryan and his leadership team propose.

Across the Capitol, Senate Democrats are upset about the House potentially jamming them with a last-minute bill that would do nothing more than avert the worst-case scenario. They're still smarting over Trump seemingly backing away last week from a bipartisan deal to protect 700,000 Dreamers from deportation.

Senate Democrats have refused to say whether they will block the funding measure, though Republicans believe Democrats won’t risk a shutdown with control of the chamber in play this fall.

With government funding set to run out in two days — and the two sides far apart on an immigration deal — Ryan and senior House Republicans are pushing legislation to keep the government funded until Feb. 16. In a bid to pick up votes from both parties, the measure would also fund a popular children’s health program for six more years and delay the implementation of several Obamacare taxes.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Democrats have refused to back the plan. Since Republicans are in the majority, they should pass the short-term funding bill — the fourth since the fiscal year began on Oct. 1 — without their help, they say.

With Democrats on the sidelines, Republicans spent Wednesday leaning on every member for their vote.

“I think it passes. I don’t think it’s overwhelming, but I think it passes,” Republican Study Committee Chairman Mark Walker (R-N.C.) said after GOP lawmakers met on Wednesday.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hot take: they'll just raise the debt ceiling

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hot take: they'll just raise the debt ceiling
    the article discusses that. thanks for the non-unique snark though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the article discusses that. thanks for the non-unique snark though.
    which is why its not worth the hoopla

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    which is why its not worth the hoopla
    What hoopla? The article certainly does not maintain that. Quite the contrary.

There is a contingent in the house GOP that refuses to cooperate with Ryan and they are likely going to require the democrats to get their ceiling increase.

It's worth discussing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What hoopla? The article certainly does not maintain that. Quite the contrary.

There is a contingent in the house GOP that refuses to cooperate with Ryan and they are likely going to require the democrats to get their ceiling increase.

It's worth discussing.
    Freedom Kockus wants to remove Ryan, like they removed Boner. Thye want one of their Kock suckers to run the House

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Freedom Kockus wants to remove Ryan, like they removed Boner. Thye want one of their Kock suckers to run the House
    It's hilarious seeing them act like Ryan wasn't king teabagger six years ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    House approves stopgap spending bill to prevent shutdown

fuzzy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    inb4 something something something, dim

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

fuzzy
    Clearly the house just wanted something quick so they can pass the buck to the senate.

Paul Ryan will claim victory and blame democrats and senate for when it fails there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clearly the house just wanted something quick so they can pass the buck to the senate.

Paul Ryan will claim victory and blame democrats and senate for when it fails there.
    probably true. but op says "house republicans are short of the votes they need"

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...ongress-344198

House Republicans are short of the votes they need to avoid a government shutdown, but Speaker Paul Ryan and GOP leaders remain confident they will pass a stopgap funding measure when it comes to the floor on Thursday.

President Donald Trump is personally leaning on GOP lawmakers to fall into line, especially hard-line conservatives who are opposed to virtually anything Ryan and his leadership team propose.

Across the Capitol, Senate Democrats are upset about the House potentially jamming them with a last-minute bill that would do nothing more than avert the worst-case scenario. They're still smarting over Trump seemingly backing away last week from a bipartisan deal to protect 700,000 Dreamers from deportation.

Senate Democrats have refused to say whether they will block the funding measure, though Republicans believe Democrats won’t risk a shutdown with control of the chamber in play this fall.

With government funding set to run out in two days — and the two sides far apart on an immigration deal — Ryan and senior House Republicans are pushing legislation to keep the government funded until Feb. 16. In a bid to pick up votes from both parties, the measure would also fund a popular children’s health program for six more years and delay the implementation of several Obamacare taxes.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Democrats have refused to back the plan. Since Republicans are in the majority, they should pass the short-term funding bill — the fourth since the fiscal year began on Oct. 1 — without their help, they say.

With Democrats on the sidelines, Republicans spent Wednesday leaning on every member for their vote.

“I think it passes. I don’t think it’s overwhelming, but I think it passes,” Republican Study Committee Chairman Mark Walker (R-N.C.) said after GOP lawmakers met on Wednesday.

fuzzy

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To summarize, they don't have the votes for an actual spending bill, but they can pass a stopgap spending bill.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Repug governance

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol ppl and media watching this act

Richest country in the world and they play the “we dont have money” act

What a brainless society

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol ppl and media watching this act

Richest country in the world and they play the “we dont have money” act

What a brainless society
    how can we be the richest with 20 trillion in debt?

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most of that is to the US. And the US can print their own money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most of that is to the US. And the US can print their own money.
    almost as perplexing as bitcoin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol whos gonna knock on Uncle Sams door and demand the debt be paid??

And yes US can always print their own money not to mention they also write the rules of money for the world as they go.

Sure an economic apocalypse can still happen but that is basically unavoidable at this point so 10 20 30 gazilkion dollars does it really matter how much money is owed if the debt will never be paid?

Nope

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    almost as perplexing as bitcoin.
    A ton more actually.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

fuzzy
    As was pointed out initially, the article discussed that. I even went to point out what I had found significant.

For a supposed lawyer you suck at reading and logic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    inb4 something something something, dim
    When you write something stupid, you get called on it. You are repeating yourself and ignoring the refutations that were already made. dabom even helped you out by bolding the parts I was referring to. It is stupid and petty of you to come back and double down on it, dim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    House Republicans voted Thursday night to keep the government open — and now the real drama will begin in the Senate.

After weeks of internal squabbling, Republicans secured votes for a spending plan to keep the government open for another four weeks. The vote was 230-197, with 11 Republicans in opposition and six Democrats crossing the aisle to back it.

But the plan's prospects in the Senate look dicey at best. Some GOP lawmakers said they intend to vote against it, arguing that repeated short-term funding measures harm the military. And a sizable bloc of Democrats have also come out in opposition because it does not address the fate of hundreds of thousands of young immigrants at threat of being deported.

Federal funding runs out at midnight Friday. If there is no spending plan in place by then, the federal government will begin to shut down non-essential operations — a crisis that both parties and the White House say the desperately want to avoid.

Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) called on Senate Democrats to drop their opposition to the funding proposal, which would keep federal agencies open through Feb. 16. House Republicans also added tens of billions of dollars of funding for a popular children's health program in a bid to win more support.

“Sen. Schumer, do not shut down the federal government," Ryan told reporters after the House vote. “It is risky, it is reckless and it is wrong.”

Ryan added: “The only people standing in the way of keeping the government open are Senate Democrats. Whether there is a government shutdown or not is entirely up to them.”

In order to win Thursday's vote, Ryan struck a deal with Freedom Caucus conservatives shortly before a scheduled floor vote on a spending provision. The agreement, which promised the group a separate vote on military funding, is expected to yield enough votes to secure passage of the spending bill in the House.

The deal came together after Freedom Caucus members cir vented leadership and took their demands to President Donald Trump. A lingering disagreement between Ryan and conservatives had threatened to blow up the spending deal in the lower chamber — and undercut the GOP strategy of blaming Democrats for any shutdown.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...blicans-345532

So Ryan made a deal with the Freedom Caucus but the extension is for a month. This reminds me of 2013 when the GOP couldn't pull it's head out of it's ass. They kept on kicking the can down the road like this then until Cruz, Rubio, Ryan, Cornyn, Lee, and co took stupid pills and forced the issue.

It was hugely politically damaging for the party but ideologues tend to repeat their mistakes. With DACA taking the role of Obamacare this time around I could easily see it happening again.

Thread Information