Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a reach. Lonnie was all about finesse, acrobatic layups before he came onto the Spurs.

His dad was asked on social media why his son attacks the basket this way (and why he avoids physical contact).

His response? "That's the way I taught him."
    O wow...so he was raised this way...smh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie always went up for a dunk only to switch it to a soft ass layup at the last second. Its part of his game that I hate. Pop gets pissed every time he has a clean dunk and switches to a finger roll brick so I doubt its Pop being against his players passing up high percentage shots. Its a Lonnie problem and he better fix that .
    U may be right...sigh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    when did Lonnie used to "dunk everything?" because my memory is that he never dunks, always tried to do some badass dunk and rarely ever actually made them, and is now hunting for layups when he should be dunking

seriously, your hate for Pop and the coaching stuff is getting a bit ridiculous. you're going to blame Pop because Lonnie doesn't dunk? GMAFB
    I don't hate Pop...I've been critical of him lately, but Pop is the GOAT imo...why do ppl get so caught up in sports that criticism is hate? We even criticize ppl we love...y wouldn't we do so for sports figures? My analysis may be wrong to you, but that doesn't make it hate...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why didn't he finish this dunk?!

This is heartbreaking

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie needs to dunk in dudes faces. He has the ability to fly and throw it down. He needs to do it.
    He may be afraid of getting under cut and hurt though. I know I would. If I could fly like Lonnie
    This can't be it because he jumps just as high for his layups

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This can't be it because he jumps just as high for his layups
    I do not get it. The kind of satisfying anger of throwing it down (like DDR does) has to feel good and can be worth more that a hoop for momentum and confidence. I just cannot fathom not doing it if you have a good chance at success, which he seems to have a lot.

Maybe Pop has talked him out of it-that would be an explanation...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should only be talking about Jakob and his sissified approach to dunking.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He needs to initiate contact in the paint. This is a case when his first step and burst works against him. He’s going too fast when he gets to the rim, and the ball comes off the glass too hard. If you initiate contact, you have a good chance of getting a foul, and a better shot at finishing, because that bump slows you down, and softens your shot off the glass.
    Yes, He's going too fast most of the times. He just need to learn to slow down rigth before jumping. Westbrook was the same at the beginning of his career.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why didn't he finish this dunk?!

This is the biggest impression I have of Lonnie, thus anyone who says PATFO causes him not to dunk is BS. Pop even used to get Tony to setup RJ alley hoop to get him going. My opinion is that Lonnie always misjudge the distance and realise too late that he is a bit short for the dunk, or he is closing too fast to the rim for him to feel comfortable to dunk.
    Last edited by XDT76; 03-17-2021 at 05:20 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the biggest impression I have of Lonnie, thus anyone who says PATFO causes him not to dunk is BS. Pop even used to get Tony to setup RJ alley hoop to get him going. My opinion is that Lonnie always misjudge the distance and realise too late that he is a bit short for the dunk, or he is closing too fast to the rim for him to feel comfortable to dunk.
    RJ was a vet...pop usually doesn't try to put vets thru his indoctrination...they are who they are

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RJ was a vet...pop usually doesn't try to put vets thru his indoctrination...they are who they are
    Okay, then Corey dunk over Ibaka, White dunk over Millsap, KJ and even Vassell dunk twice against Detroit what's the narrative on these then? Pop has his weakness like his stubbornness over the rotation but saying he forbids his players dunking is really BS. Name some memorial dunk that Lonnie did before he was "destroyed" by Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay, then Corey dunk over Ibaka, White dunk over Millsap, KJ and even Vassell dunk twice against Detroit what's the narrative on these then? Pop has his weakness like his stubbornness over the rotation but saying he forbids his players dunking is really BS. Name some memorial dunk that Lonnie did before he was "destroyed" by Pop.
    I never said he forbids it...I think he has the personality where he may mock it in practice and say 2 points is 2 points...let's not act like the running joke of pop pulling a player for dunking or showing emotion just popped up out of nowhere... It's something ppl have been noticing... I didn't just come up with the concept today

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never said he forbids it...I think he has the personality where he may mock it in practice and say 2 points is 2 points...let's not act like the running joke of pop pulling a player for dunking or showing emotion just popped up out of nowhere... It's something ppl have been noticing... I didn't just come up with the concept today
    Maybe before but DJ even gets away with his signature break away dunk and then stare down at the ball.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did he pull KJ in the Utah game with the 2 handed dunk and war cry? Or DjM against the Hawks?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did he pull KJ in the Utah game with the 2 handed dunk and war cry? Or DjM against the Hawks?
    Yeah seriously, Keldon has been dunking all season and going ing nuts and screaming.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a reach. Lonnie was all about finesse, acrobatic layups before he came onto the Spurs.

His dad was asked on social media why his son attacks the basket this way (and why he avoids physical contact).

His response? "That's the way I taught him."
    Why would his dad teach him to play that way? Did his dad give a reason?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would his dad teach him to play that way? Did his dad give a reason?
    Nothing else was said past that.

His dad wasn't a coach or a basketball mind so he probably thought Dwyane Wade was cool and he wanted his son to be just like him. When you pull up highlights for Wade on youtube, you'll see all kinds of acrobatic layups, which look like they all avoid physical contact.

I don't know why he did it but it sucks that he did.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could be that dad is just sticking up for his son.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing else was said past that.

His dad wasn't a coach or a basketball mind so he probably thought Dwyane Wade was cool and he wanted his son to be just like him. When you pull up highlights for Wade on youtube, you'll see all kinds of acrobatic layups, which look like they all avoid physical contact.

I don't know why he did it but it sucks that he did.
    I mean, constantly jumping into people and accepting contact takes a toll on the body, and Lonnie has already been through one meniscus surgery. I suspect there is some fear factor there.

Guys like KJ (Big Body) have the weight to try to plow through people, but Lonnie doesn't seem to be built the same way (nor does he have the same mentality). At a certain point, I think that is a style of play that is hard to teach....you either grew up playing that way, or you didn't.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, constantly jumping into people and accepting contact takes a toll on the body, and Lonnie has already been through one meniscus surgery. I suspect there is some fear factor there.

Guys like KJ (Big Body) have the weight to try to plow through people, but Lonnie doesn't seem to be built the same way (nor does he have the same mentality). At a certain point, I think that is a style of play that is hard to teach....you either grew up playing that way, or you didn't.
    There is also a difference with a 1 foot dunker and a 2 foot , Keldon is the latter allowing him to absorb contact.

Thread Information