Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This makes sense. The first round pick wasn't just for derozan, but in exchange for taking on dead salary in Aminu.

They may give these guys a chance to make the team bc it's good asset management. There are always training camp bodies brought in and these guys are already getting paid.
    Sure, they may bring everyone into camp and go through training camp and preseason, though I still think the results will be the same.

I don't think asset management has anything to do with it though. Waiving Young, Eubanks, or Landale would be poor asset management. Letting Aminu and Hutch go was also seemingly the game plan considering the trades in which they were acquired..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is Hutchinson a SF and yet not even at 65% on his FTs?

Really putrid advanced stats. Worse than LWIV.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is Hutchinson a SF and yet not even at 65% on his FTs?

Really putrid advanced stats. Worse than LWIV.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, they may bring everyone into camp and go through training camp and preseason, though I still think the results will be the same.

I don't think asset management has anything to do with it though. Waiving Young, Eubanks, or Landale would be poor asset management. Letting Aminu and Hutch go was also seemingly the game plan considering the trades in which they were acquired..
    I never mentioned Young or Landale tbh.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just to clarify, I see no situation where Aminu in his broken down form is worth keeping over a player who is better than him. I don’t want the Spurs to try and start pinching pennies and cut a better, cheaper player. That’s all Im really saying. If Hutch somehow earns a roster spot than we’ll assume he somehow miraculously improved and was better than Walker, or whatever. But this logic has its limits. Primo is 18 years old. If Hutch outplays Primo in camp, are we really cutting Primo? Of course not. We’re still trying to develop players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just to clarify, I see no situation where Aminu in his broken down form is worth keeping over a player who is better than him. I don’t want the Spurs to try and start pinching pennies and cut a better, cheaper player. That’s all Im really saying. If Hutch somehow earns a roster spot than we’ll assume he somehow miraculously improved and was better than Walker, or whatever. But this logic has its limits. Primo is 18 years old. If Hutch outplays Primo in camp, are we really cutting Primo? Of course not. We’re still trying to develop players.
    Nobody is even bringing Primo into this scenario, but you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hysteria. Let’s make the dumbest possible case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the Spurs aren't trying to do one specific thing. They are trying to build the best team they can across the present and the future. If Landale beats out Eubanks, then Drew being better than AFA doesn't really matter. Poeltl and SOB would be blocking him out in the present, while Collins is coming up behind him in the future. So it comes down to what's more valuable: Having Drew as depth or keeping Aminu's expiring alive. Even assuming AFA is not going to recover at all, you can make the argument that picking him to stay gives the team a better path to improving, especially if they trade Eubanks for an asset rather than cutting him outright. I also think you're framing the whole thing wrong when you say the Spurs cutting a cheaper player is "pinching pennies". They aren't actually saving any money by doing that. If anything, the thing that might save the most money is cutting Young and having a team give him a decent deal to set off some of Thad's salary. No one is talking about that, because it obviously doesn't make sense.

Primo wouldn't be cut for Hutch or anyone else. But why would Walker, Sam, Eubanks or Landale get spots if they're beat out by Chandler? They're all youngish players with built-in team control. None of them should feel completely safe, even if they do win their battles, since there's still a roster crunch at spots like C and PF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never mentioned Young or Landale tbh.
    I know, just saying in general.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hysteria. Let’s make the dumbest possible case.
    I don’t know where this went tbh. All of a sudden

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl and SOB would be blocking him out
    I’m new. Who is SOB?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m new. Who is SOB?
    Landale.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right. I’m discussing hypotheticals in a conversation with Chinook about how the FO could approach the roster dilemma. Did you not catch that part?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right. I’m discussing hypotheticals in a conversation with Chinook about how the FO could approach the roster dilemma. Did you not catch that part?
    Your reply was to me, not to Chinook so it didn't make sense to me that you'd bring something up that I never mentioned... (Or Chinook bc no one discussed Primo.) I think you just added him in for drama to make a point but it just complicates the subject. This is more likely about Eubanks, and maybe Luka. I do think the team wants to see what Landale has in real games so unless he was absolutely awful (unlikely) they will keep him. Someone else mentioned Young and if he's waived it will be after the trade deadline bc he wants to go to a contender and the Spurs have been sucking--that's still to be played out. It wouldn't make sense for him to get waived now, he's a trade asset all the way to the trade deadline.

Anyways, I think at least Aminu -- I don't know about Hutchison -- will get a real chance to make the team. That's all I am saying. That does mean if someone else on the edges doesn't bring his A game they could be beat.

However, most likely Aminu's knee is busted beyond getting in playing shape. I just wouldn't assume that without knowing it. I didn't know this b4 but he's had two arthroscopic surgeries on a knee that he got a meniscus repair surgery on. It's a potential career ender. He likely can't play and that just makes things much easier on the others that are still competing for minutes, but if he could play I don't think they just waive him bc they already have Eubanks or whomever.

Hutchison isn't and hasn't been a good player, but if he's brought to training camp I think the Spurs will give him a chance to make the team. He's not an old established player, So maybe he's been working on his game privately and shows something. We don't know.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 08-28-2021 at 11:17 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your reply was to me, not to Chinook so it didn't make sense to me that you'd bring something up that I never mentioned... (Or Chinook bc no one discussed Primo.) I think you just added him in for drama to make a point but it just complicates the subject. This is more likely about Eubanks, and maybe Luka. I do think the team wants to see what Landale has in real games so unless he was absolutely awful (unlikely) they will keep him. Someone else mentioned Young and if he's waived it will be after the trade deadline bc he wants to go to a contender and the Spurs have been sucking--that's still to be played out. It wouldn't make sense for him to get waived now, he's a trade asset all the way to the trade deadline.

Anyways, I think at least Aminu -- I don't know about Hutchison -- will get a real chance to make the team. That's all I am saying. That does mean if someone else on the edges doesn't bring his A game they could be beat.

However, most likely Aminu's knee is busted beyond getting in playing shape. I just wouldn't assume that without knowing it. I didn't know this b4 but he's had two arthroscopic surgeries on a knee that he got a meniscus repair surgery on. It's a potential career ender. He likely can't play and that just makes things much easier on the others that are still competing for minutes, but if he could play I don't think they just waive him bc they already have Eubanks or whomever.

Hutchison isn't and hasn't been a good player, but if he's brought to training camp I think the Spurs will give him a chance to make the team. He's not an old established player, So maybe he's been working on his game privately and shows something. We don't know.
    Seems like a misunderstanding. I didn't directly quote you in a response. I happened to write a post after you did, which I don't see as the same thing as responding to you. This conversation I think is going in circles at this point. I'm not in favor of cutting Primo, which is what I clearly stated. Again, I was clarifying my previous posts, which mostly had been in response to Chinook, whom I was exchanging ideas with. Regardless, my point, again, is that I don't see the complete validity of an "open training camp" where everyone is competing for a spot, because to me it doesn't make sense, for example, to move on from a player with a better trajectory (Eubanks) for a player with a bum knee who is a veteran that isn't really needed on this team, and likely won't make it through one season, even if he shines for a few days in training camp. Anyway, as for the drama that you perceive, again, I was having a conversation with Chinook who does make nuanced, complicated posts. Honestly, I prefer a complicated argument than what usually transpires around here. But hey, that's perhaps just me.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So I will trow out something.

We trade the 3 new people (young, amaniu, and hutchinson) to Cleveland for Love and a first top 3 protected.

This would save the cavs a year off of loves deal even if they cut everyone. they are already looking to move him and may cut him so saveing a year of salary would be big. I also believe they think they will make the PO this year. They also are still showing they are willing to make bad trade ( just tradded Nance for Lauri). I think they could keep all the players and not have to cut anyone so if one would turn out good they would have the time to find it. They also could still move young possibly for a 1st rd pick so they may end up just move down in the draft.

Spurs do ti mostly for the pick. would also give us the 3 pt shooting PF (if we even play him). It would also lock up our cap space for 2 years when the next FA class should hit. Dont think he has much trade value but neither did horford and he played and got traded.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Not a bad idea, with as many shooting big projects as the Spurs have signed recently I wonder why they haven’t looked at this sooner, and it’s probably bc Cleveland doesn’t want to yield a pick to dump Love somewhere.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aminu’s $10 million cap number as an expiring is too valuable to cut. Hutchinson will be cut well before him at just $4 million. And I’d rather get rid of Eubanks who is at best an end of roster guy.

Aminu isn’t valued by anyone in the league at this point, but is a huge chip to help facilitate other trades as soon as he can be aggregated. Doesn’t even have to be a trade the Spurs are a centerpiece of. They can throw him in and take back money beyond this year and get a pick attached to it.

Is the roster cut deadline before or after Young, Aminu and Hutchinson can be aggregated into trades?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aminu’s $10 million cap number as an expiring is too valuable to cut. Hutchinson will be cut well before him at just $4 million. And I’d rather get rid of Eubanks who is at best an end of roster guy.

Aminu isn’t valued by anyone in the league at this point, but is a huge chip to help facilitate other trades as soon as he can be aggregated. Doesn’t even have to be a trade the Spurs are a centerpiece of. They can throw him in and take back money beyond this year and get a pick attached to it.

Is the roster cut deadline before or after Young, Aminu and Hutchinson can be aggregated into trades?
    So
    Much
    This

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There's no trade restriction on any of those players, because the Spurs were under the cap when they acquired all of them. They've been able to aggregate them since the second those trades went through. Even if that wasn't the case, yes, the cut-down deadline is after the 60-day period would've passed, had it been applicable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no trade restriction on any of those players, because the Spurs were under the cap when they acquired all of them. They've been able to aggregate them since the second those trades went through. Even if that wasn't the case, yes, the cut-down deadline is after the 60-day period would've passed, had it been applicable.
    Appreciate the knowledge here. Aminu as a trade chip means taking on longer term money. We’d have to package him with someone like Walker to realize anything material. Pretty confident if he can’t hold his own in training camp he is out the door.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Not a bad idea, with as many shooting big projects as the Spurs have signed recently I wonder why they haven’t looked at this sooner, and it’s probably bc Cleveland doesn’t want to yield a pick to dump Love somewhere.
    Yeah, the only issue would probably be the protection. The Cavaliers almost certainly wouldn't go top 3 or even 5 because of the liklihood that they could still easily land in that range.

Probably depends on the projected timeline for Collins and their perception of Landale. If December/January wasn't just agent speak and or they view the latter as closer to a legit than fringe NBA player, the need to carry four centers lessens if not dissipates.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s true. They’re losing more than tanking. Forbes is the poster boy of that strategy.
    I don't know. If I had a team and was looking to tank the season, Forbes' agent would be my first call.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know. If I had a team and was looking to tank the season, Forbes' agent would be my first call.
    Yep. Obviously Forbes has a bad reputation around these parts (as a player, not as a person)...but I have a feeling that the casual fans aren't as hard on him. They just see a gutsy young guy trying his hardest and who makes threes which people like, and the media can play off his "recent championship experience".

Basically, it's a move to satisfy the fan base and keep them engaged even though it's probably going to end up with more numbers in the loss column. If you are going to tank, it's best to still have guys that people will root for.

Or maybe I am just trying way too hard to rationalize why the the Spurs brought him back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Not a chance in they waive Samanic. Not a chance in .

Thread Information