Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't think of anyone better than him making shots using the board. Is Timmy the best NBA bank shooter of all time?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely the best of the modern era. He took a shot that had't been popular for probably 30-35 years, and made it vogue again. Lots of guys use the glass now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember the A Train had a damn consistent short range glass shot.

808s & Heartbreak Kool Bob Love's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan invented that shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. When someone mentions bank shot, tim duncan automatically comes to mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Phillip Doom Haynes

Sam Jones

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TD didn't invent it but he did bring it back from extinction as a viable shot.

He was usually money on that shot, im not sure why he has gone almost completely away from it as he has gotten older.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pippen was pretty good at the as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is/was a video on the web at one time (probably caused by Tim's revival of the bank shot) that proved by geometry, physics and math that the bank shot actually had a better statistical chance of scoring. I think I posted it on ST back in the day.

It's strange but most people don't call layups that use the backboard a 'bank shot'. That term is reserved for longer shots.

Tim seems to have lost confidence in the longer bank shot as he has gotten older. Most of his shots now are around or near the rim.

Lakers suck donkey balls JWest596's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's considered boring....but not anymore because of Tim. But you're right it's a money in the bank shot statistically.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is/was a video on the web at one time (probably caused by Tim's revival of the bank shot) that proved by geometry, physics and math that the bank shot actually had a better statistical chance of scoring. I think I posted it on ST back in the day.

It's strange but most people don't call layups that use the backboard a 'bank shot'. That term is reserved for longer shots.

Tim seems to have lost confidence in the longer bank shot as he has gotten older. Most of his shots now are around or near the rim.
    When he came into the league, he was on the block, and David was at the top of the key. Now Tiago is on the block, and Tim is in the high post. I don't believe he's lost confidence in it, he's just rarely in that position on the block/baseline any more.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When he came into the league, he was on the block, and David was at the top of the key. Now Tiago is on the block, and Tim is in the high post. I don't believe he's lost confidence in it, he's just rarely in that position on the block/baseline any more.
    This and teams make it very difficult for Duncan to get in position to do the bankshot. If you watch the first few years of Duncan's career you can see teams gave him a lot of space to pull it off but overtime they adjusted and closed the gaps which made it much harder. Whenever he gets the chance he does use it but its not given to him often.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rudy T.

And it's not even close.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lots of guys in the 50s did it. In the 60s, Sam Jones of the Celtics and John McGlocklin from the Bucks both did it from the wing. Pgardn mentioned Tomjanovich, but also Maravich in the 70s. Iceman was an excellent bank-shooter and he shot it fairly frequently.
    Duncan is the best big-man to do it from 10-15 feet.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Timmy the best NBA bank shooter of all time?
    No he's the only one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Always thought it was odd that it wasn't used by more professional players. As a kid, you grow up and that was one of the shots every coach seemed to teach. From my experience anyways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's gone away from it as his shot has gotten flatter. I can't think of anyone that was a renowned for it as TD.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan's decrease in bank shots taken has been noticeable over the past couple of seasons.

A lot of it is due to position on the court, as exstatic has pointed out. Duncan has been taking his midrange shots primarily from the elbows now as a result of the pick-and-roll with Parker. Post-ups are now such a rarity than feeding Duncan in the post and clearing out sends the home crowd abuzz.

A big part of it is also age-driven since opponents no longer worry about getting beat by Duncan's sweeping move into the middle of the lane if they crowd him when he faces up out of a post-up move.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pgardn, you beat me to the punch. Rudy Tomjonovich had the best and most consistent bank shot of all time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, but like others have mentioned, a lot of older era players used it.
    I think it's funny all the TV guys still mention it, but TD rarely shoots it like he used to.
    I just think in his later years, TD has become a better outside shooter out front, he has a much better arc on the ball.
    Early in his career, when he was shooting the bank shot more often, his shot was flatter, so he needed the backboard to soften the shot.

Although he does it occassionally, that would be a fun shot for TD to bring back consistently.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, but like others have mentioned, a lot of older era players used it.
    I think it's funny all the TV guys still mention it, but TD rarely shoots it like he used to.
    I just think in his later years, TD has become a better outside shooter out front, he has a much better arc on the ball.
    Early in his career, when he was shooting the bank shot more often, his shot was flatter, so he needed the backboard to soften the shot.

Although he does it occassionally, that would be a fun shot for TD to bring back consistently.
    I see the opposite. His jump shooting from in front of the basket, top of the key, left/right of the free throw area has seemed horrific with only some occasional flashes of life. His shot had great arc for some short spurts in his career, but seems to have reverted back to that flat thing it too often has always been. I would enjoy someone with some time to show, statistically, that he has "become a better outside shooter". I'm not buying it. Still hope he plays forever, but no. Not improved.

His bank suffers the same problem, too. When he shoots it now, I expect the same type of miss every time. Not enough arc to get a favorable bounce off the front of the rim, it will careen off with too much horizontal velocity, and usually a little short of the mark, as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I remember a Trading Card insert set called "Trademark Moves" or something and Pippen was in it with his bank shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now that I think about it, Larry Kenon was another Spur that used a short bank shot a lot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see the opposite. His jump shooting from in front of the basket, top of the key, left/right of the free throw area has seemed horrific with only some occasional flashes of life. His shot had great arc for some short spurts in his career, but seems to have reverted back to that flat thing it too often has always been. I would enjoy someone with some time to show, statistically, that he has "become a better outside shooter". I'm not buying it. Still hope he plays forever, but no. Not improved.

His bank suffers the same problem, too. When he shoots it now, I expect the same type of miss every time. Not enough arc to get a favorable bounce off the front of the rim, it will careen off with too much horizontal velocity, and usually a little short of the mark, as well.
    I didn't analyze it, but here are TDs shot charts. This link is 2013-2014, but you can see other years by selecting them from the left drop down.
    http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart...Season=2013-14

Thread Information