Page 27 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Soraa Pushes LED Brightness to Next Level

http://www.technologyreview.com/view...to-next-level/

I'm amazed at how bright are the LEDs on cop/emergency vehicles, can see the mile or more in the distance.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I picked up some cool hanging fixtures for my kitchen remodel. They're recycled from a greasy spoon from my old home town. I'm having them replated right now, but when I get them back, I'm dropping these retro bulbs in 'em.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Soraa Pushes LED Brightness to Next Level

http://www.technologyreview.com/view...to-next-level/

I'm amazed at how bright are the LEDs on cop/emergency vehicles, can see the mile or more in the distance.
    I don't know what the local cops are running for light, but they might be like those. They're painfully bright.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I picked up some cool hanging fixtures for my kitchen remodel. They're recycled from a greasy spoon from my old home town. I'm having them replated right now, but when I get them back, I'm dropping these retro bulbs in 'em.
    That doesn't look very efficient at all. Why do you hate Mother Earth?

Rising above the Fray spursncowboys's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.carbonfund.org/

All he has to do is pay for his hatred to make things right

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, these in LEDs are 50 bucks for 60We

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/5/406...b-incandescent

If you are buying 5.

Rising above the Fray spursncowboys's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TeyshaBlue: But seriously. Please post the final product. Sounds pretty cool

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just saw the same thing on kickstarter. Seems like they have a thoughtful design.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...f=discover_pop

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Just saw the same thing on kickstarter. Seems like they have a thoughtful design.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...f=discover_pop
    Thanks for that extra link. I'll take a chance of it not being a scam. I just backed them with $50.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New Technology Inspires a Rethinking of Light

"This is the move from the last industrial-age analog technology to a digital technology," said Fred Maxik, the chief technology officer with the Lighting Science Group Corporation, one of many newer players in the field.

The efforts start with energy efficiency and cost savings but go far beyond replacing inefficient incandescent bulbs. Light's potential to heal, soothe, invigorate or safeguard people is being exploited to introduce products like the blanket, versions of which are offered by General Electric and in development at Philips, the Dutch electronics giant.

Innovations on the horizon range from smart lampposts that can sense gas hazards to lights harnessed for office productivity or even to cure jet lag. Digital lighting based on light-emitting diodes - LEDs - offers the opportunity to flit beams delicately across stages like the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge - creating a light sculpture more elegant than the garish marketers' light shows on display in Times Square, Piccadilly Circus and the Shibuya district in Tokyo.

One reason adoption will speed up, Mr. Crawford believes, is that in recent years, consumers have been asked to compromise on quality to get energy savings. With the latest generation of LEDs, he said, "the consumer gets the energy savings without compromise."

Energy efficiency is only the beginning, according to experts on the lighting innovations. Take communication between lights. At the University of California, Davis, a bike path illuminated at night with a "just in time" system has one light node alerting another and another down the line as a bicycle goes by, progressively lighting the rider's way, then dimming back into an energy-saving mode.

Michael Siminovitch, director of the California Lighting Technology Center at the university, said that with the new technology "we're going to be able to create a variety of control features in terms of how we introduce points of light in space, but we're also going to be able to do it with planes and areas of light." For example, he said, there could be light-generating ceilings or walls.

Philips's lighting division is working on a product that allows people with psoriasis to have light treatments at home, not in the hospital. It has also introduced a blue-light-emitting poultice to relieve muscle pain by releasing the nitric oxide in the patient's system, stimulating blood flow.

"This is where the promise is," said Dr. Siminovitch of the U.C. Davis center. "The promise is going to be on well-being, wellness, biology - lighting starts doing something for us that is inherently different."

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/04/25...light.xml?f=23

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Free Market is innovating to fill the market for energy-efficient bulbs? You don't say?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Free Market is innovating to fill the market for energy-efficient bulbs? You don't say?
    the free market was pushed by the Fed reg to phase out incandescents.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    the free market was pushed by the Fed reg to phase out incandescents.
    It wasn't pushed to LED technology. That's a consumer decision, and I'm one of them who will gladly pay for LEDs.

You may need your Uncle Sam to tell you how to live, but I don't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It wasn't pushed to LED technology. That's a consumer decision, and I'm one of them who will gladly pay for LEDs.

I'm guessing that you should try getting your Uncle Sam to read to you since his post made no mention of this.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I'm guessing that you should try getting your Uncle Sam to read to you since his post made no mention of this.
    Just follow what was said.

LED... Energy Efficient... then the claim it was pushed by the government...

Some of us were buying energy efficient stuff before any phase out of the incandescent, however, ShazBot seems to think government is the answer... apparently for everything, by all his various posts.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Thanks for that extra link. I'll take a chance of it not being a scam. I just backed them with $50.

Well...

I wonder how much the 100 watt equivalents will cost when they make it to market. The $50 in the le might be correct. At least it if for the one I'm buying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You're right. The fed did not pick LED as the winner. The market figured that out after the fed decided that incandescent lighting needed to pay for the externalities that were not previously being calculated into the cost of production. Once taken into account, free market innovation was spurred. God bless the fed, god bless capitalism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Iv'e literally payed 100's of $$ to switch my house over to LED and love it. I've got dozens of BR30 spots/floods and those incandescent ers were constantly burning out. The florescent replacements sucked and didn't work half the time. The LED's were like $15 but they throw a great white light and are good for tens of thousands of hours.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are down to $10-$15 range and are available in warmer colors. Glad I wasn't an early adopter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am waiting for a good commercial projector that has LED.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    They are down to $10-$15 range and are available in warmer colors. Glad I wasn't an early adopter.
    This, frankly, astounds me. Who ever heard of technology getting CHEAPER with age? Amirite?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What happened to your stockpile of incandescent bulbs you went out and bought after ting your pants and creating this thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What happened to your stockpile of incandescent bulbs you went out and bought after ting your pants and creating this thread.
    When I burn through those, I'll get me some LED bulbs. They'll probably be $5 by then.

And if they didn't start producing the warm color variety, I would never be interested.

Thread Information