Page 78 of 101 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 2513
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm trying to figure out what the hold up is on the Spurs announcing the deals for Forbes and Landale. There must be some scenarios on the table that the Spurs want to explore using whatever salary cap space they have left before they lock in their roster. From my calculations, they have ~$1.5 million in salary cap space. If they waive Eubanks (they have until Aug. 18 to waive him, it looks like), that gets closer to $3 million. They could possibly try to buyout and/or stretch the contracts for Hutchinson and Aminu to get a little higher.

It makes sense to explore all avenues before signing Forbes and Landale so it'll be interesting to see how long this takes. I doubt the Spurs are trying to sign someone else with the salary cap space they have or can create ... but I assume there are trades available that would become impossible once Forbes and Landale are locked in.
    KBD still fishing for a better contract?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm trying to figure out what the hold up is on the Spurs announcing the deals for Forbes and Landale. There must be some scenarios on the table that the Spurs want to explore using whatever salary cap space they have left before they lock in their roster. From my calculations, they have ~$1.5 million in salary cap space. If they waive Eubanks (they have until Aug. 18 to waive him, it looks like), that gets closer to $3 million. They could possibly try to buyout and/or stretch the contracts for Hutchinson and Aminu to get a little higher.

It makes sense to explore all avenues before signing Forbes and Landale so it'll be interesting to see how long this takes. I doubt the Spurs are trying to sign someone else with the salary cap space they have or can create ... but I assume there are trades available that would become impossible once Forbes and Landale are locked in.
    Landale may be on some R&R and they'll sign him when he gets to the states.

Forbes may be touring around Wisconsin with the LOB still.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Landale may be on some R&R and they'll sign him when he gets to the states.

Forbes may be touring around Wisconsin with the LOB still.
    Didn’t Giannis hijack it to Greece? Such awesome pictures with it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn’t Giannis hijack it to Greece? Such awesome pictures with it
    Oh God maybe that's why Forbes is missing. He thought he lost it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There's one more possibility that you and the other folks who commented aren't considering. The Spurs would be a 18 roster spots if they were to sign Landale and Forbes (I'm assuming Wieskamp doesn't yet count, but if they tendered him, he might). That would mean in any trade back, they'd only be able to take back a net of two players or fewer in any deals. While it should be no big deal for SA to waive some guys they'll have to move anyway to make a trade work, it's also possible they're open to keeping the best 15 or want to be able to wait out a Simmons deal and don't want to waive, say AFA, at this time. The Spurs potentially have a Thad trade and a Murray/White trade on the table. Both of those deals could require SA to take back multiple players. Saving two roster spots for now gives them more flexibility that regard too, not just money.

Though if your $1.5-Million estimate is correct (I didn't have SA having that much from my Capulator spit-balling), then it's possible they are working out a long-term deal with Wieskamp and/or KBD,

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh God maybe that's why Forbes is missing. He thought he lost it.
    Maybe he did lose it and begged for a contract with the Spurs so he can steal one of the 5 from the trophy case. He probably knows where all the keys are.

Damn, I want to see a Game of Zones type movie for this, where Pop covers for Forbes saying "here Bryn, come sign a contract with us and while you're here I'll let you take one of our trophies, 4 is enough after all."

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ remind me what the definitive answer is on combining acquired players in subsequent trade? In other words, when can they package Aminu/Hutch?

Aside from Simmons play, another way to shed 2 players:

- Wiggins+player+asset
    - Aminu-hutch-Eubanks-White

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe he did lose it and begged for a contract with the Spurs so he can steal one of the 5 from the trophy case. He probably knows where all the keys are.

Damn, I want to see a Game of Zones type movie for this, where Pop covers for Forbes saying "here Bryn, come sign a contract with us and while you're here I'll let you take one of our trophies, 4 is enough after all."
    It's like National Treasure but it's The Larry O'Brien Trophy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ remind me what the definitive answer is on combining acquired players in subsequent trade? In other words, when can they package Aminu/Hutch?

Aside from Simmons play, another way to shed 2 players:

- Wiggins+player+asset
    - Aminu-hutch-Eubanks-White
    They're both eligible to be combined immediately. SA is still under the cap.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're both eligible to be combined immediately. SA is still under the cap.
    Thanks.

As an aside, in looking for more Wiggins type deals where Spurs may facilitate long term cap relief, it’s pretty amazing that there are fewer and fewer ty contracts out there. I mean they’re still out there (Love, Hortford, Adam etc), but seems like less than just 5 years ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure spurs are wanting to take on money with the cap space they have opened up for next off season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've yet to hear the Simmons to Spurs hypothetical that makes sense for the 76ers. Even in a three team trade, unless the Spurs blew their load draft capital/protection wise, there's no reason to think whatever iteration they could offer would get the 76ers more than Simmons could.

On the other hand, timing could align for the Spurs. His side is applying pressure to get this done and despite what the organization intimates, history tells us these things usually get expedited at that point.

That means it's unlikely to match the Beal and maybe even Lillard timeline and the other rumored interested teams (Pacers, Timberwolves, Kings, Raptors) either don't have or are unlikely to offer ideal packages either.

Thanks.

As an aside, in looking for more Wiggins type deals where Spurs may facilitate long term cap relief, it’s pretty amazing that there are fewer and fewer ty contracts out there. I mean they’re still out there (Love, Hortford, Adam etc), but seems like less than just 5 years ago.
    Because the '16-'17 cap e contracts have expired.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. The Spurs should absolutely come correct with their best Simmons offer and then just be okay with being outbid if it comes to that. Unlike a lot of STers, I think the Spurs should put a high price on acquiring him. But I also think they need to leave themselves a means to turn his acquisition into a contending push if they get him. If the only way they can get him requires hamstringing themselves, then they can afford to be patient. Not that it's the same thing, but they should be a team well positioned to make a run at say Aaron Gordon next summer. There aren't many stars, but there is a lot of role-playing talent available. That could help the Spurs replenish their roster in the event of other trades

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure spurs are wanting to take on money with the cap space they have opened up for next off season.
    I don't get the feeling that cap space specifically next summer is a big deal. I think the Spurs are just trying to stay flexible. I would totally be willing to take on the Wiggins contract if enough assets are included and plan around another big free agency run in 2023.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. The Spurs should absolutely come correct with their best Simmons offer and then just be okay with being outbid if it comes to that. Unlike a lot of STers, I think the Spurs should put a high price on acquiring him. But I also think they need to leave themselves a means to turn his acquisition into a contending push if they get him. If the only way they can get him requires hamstringing themselves, then they can afford to be patient. Not that it's the same thing, but they should be a team well positioned to make a run at say Aaron Gordon next summer. There aren't many stars, but there is a lot of role-playing talent available. That could help the Spurs replenish their roster in the event of other trades
    Okay, but what is it? Pieces like Murray and Poeltl make no sense for the 76ers (or the Warriors, if you're thinking of them as a third team, nor do their assets make sense for the 76ers).

I actually lean towards they should put a high price on him too. Non glamour markets don't get to choose their superstars/stars and this one doesn't want to tank for it, so this has to be tempting: Signed for 4 years, international (though Americanized), fits their supposed defense and ball movement ethos and if ever he could be humbled and gotten through to, it'd be now.

Agreed, which is why I suspect White and Johnson would be off limits. That would obviously increase the amount of draft capital needed though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd think our best offer for Simmons would be something like DJ, LW, Thad, Poeltl, our 22 1st and the Chicago 1st... not necessarily all going to Philly...some could go elsewhere to bring in other assets that fit them better..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay, but what is it? Pieces like Murray and Poeltl make no sense for the 76ers (or the Warriors, if you're thinking of them as a third team, nor do their assets make sense for the 76ers).

I actually lean towards they should put a high price on him too. Non glamour markets don't get to choose their superstars/stars and this one doesn't want to tank for it, so this has to be tempting: Signed for 4 years, international (though Americanized), fits their supposed defense and ball movement ethos and if ever he could be humbled and gotten through to, it'd be now.

Agreed, which is why I suspect White and Johnson would be off limits. That would obviously increase the amount of draft capital needed though.
    I think eventually Morey's going to have to take pieces for Simmons and then hope to turn those pieces into a star later. I don't think Washington or Portland wants Simmons, so he's basically going to have to do a three-team deal anyway. Keeping Simmons becomes less and less of an option the longer they don't just commit to having him stay. So at this point, they should look for role-playing pieces around Embiid and future assets as they try to make the best of this year.

I think they should hold the line at Murray, Walker, Young, Poeltl, 2022 unprotected and 2024 moderately protected. Or Murray, Primo/Vassell, Aminu, Poeltl and 2022 lightly protected and 2024 moderately protectedd. Something like that. It's still a lot of value, but it gives the Spurs ammo to make another move and keeps a viable roster together.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes it would be politically bad to do that
    Mr politically correct person
    No one needs to have the kicked out them more than you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one needs to have the kicked out them more than you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes it would be politically bad to do that
    Mr politically correct person
    You are by far the stupidest poster on this forum. Which is really saying something

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they settle, it'll more than likely only be after the Lillard situation is resolved.

I'd think our best offer for Simmons would be something like DJ, LW, Thad, Poeltl, our 22 1st and the Chicago 1st... not necessarily all going to Philly...some could go elsewhere to bring in other assets that fit them better..
    Agreed, but whose that team? Even if they're amendable to Murray, my guess is they would only even consider that if between some combination of the remainder and their own expendable assets, they could get at least a McCollum caliber player.

I think eventually Morey's going to have to take pieces for Simmons and then hope to turn those pieces into a star later. I don't think Washington or Portland wants Simmons, so he's basically going to have to do a three-team deal anyway. Keeping Simmons becomes less and less of an option the longer they don't just commit to having him stay. So at this point, they should look for role-playing pieces around Embiid and future assets as they try to make the best of this year.

I think they should hold the line at Murray, Walker, Young, Poeltl, 2022 unprotected and 2024 moderately protected. Or Murray, Primo/Vassell, Aminu, Poeltl and 2022 lightly protected and 2024 moderately protectedd. Something like that. It's still a lot of value, but it gives the Spurs ammo to make another move and keeps a viable roster together.
    I don't think they can afford to do that and still keep Embiid engaged unless they also pulled off what I alluded to above.

Agreed. I'd try to get a top 1 protection on any 1st though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yep. i get that Simmons has some key limitations but he immediately gives a team a much better floor

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yep. i get that Simmons has some key limitations but he immediately gives a team a much better floor
    Which ruins a tank and limits the ceiling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which ruins a tank and limits the ceiling.
    You can never ruin a tank. You can only delay it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they settle, it'll more than likely only be after the Lillard situation is resolved.

Agreed, but whose that team? Even if they're amendable to Murray, my guess is they would only even consider that if between some combination of the remainder and their own expendable assets, they could get at least a McCollum caliber player.

I don't think they can afford to do that and still keep Embiid engaged unless they also pulled off what I alluded to above.

Agreed. I'd try to get a top 1 protection on any 1st though.
    That's a great question and I don't have an answer that just jumps off the page at me... maybe Indiana with Brogdon going to Philly? Im.aware you can poke holes in that idea but, I'm just saying something along those lines...a less than star that might provide spacing and could play next to DJ...

Thread Information