Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles
    My mother was recently diagnosed with breast. Small & non-aggressive. Last year clear tests. My father has had prostate for almost 5 years. My 40-year old female cousin recently positive too.

What are my odds

Stay healthy. Get tested frequently and prepare fellas.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    its a and sometimes basically impossible to catch early since you dont figure to run tests until you are experiencing symptoms. regular screening is key particularly when you reach a specific risk age. my wife had hodgkins as a kid so she gets fairly regular screening now. when we're done having kids she plans to get a double mastectomy since she's already at risk

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    Name
    Joseph Rao Kony
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    cancer ing sucks. sorry about your mom, hope she can beat it

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Sorry to hear that man, hoping she'll beat it

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yup, cancer sucks.

Best wishes for your family.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Both my parents and both sets of grandparents have had cancer of one type or the other. The only one that never did was my paternal grandmother who died of Alzheimer's. The odds are not in my favor. But what are you going to do? See your doc once a year and do all the necessary screening.

I'm sorry about your mom.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Get that taken care of early and screen every year. If you get breast cancer removed early you have a great chance at many more years. If you don't and it metastasizes you're absolutely boned. Any of us who lives to 70 is likely to get it at some point, just another disease of aging. But with early action when you can get it all cut out before spreading things can look good as scary as it is to hear the c word.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Men over 55 should honestly get their prostate cut out. I mean you're past your prime for sex and procreation anyway and the only thing that's likely beyond that age is prostate cancer. Happens to roughly half of all older men regardless of family history, diet, exercise, or healthy habits.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    10876842[/URL]]cancer ing sucks. sorry about your mom, hope she can beat it
    Trust me, she knows how to beat it.

sorry FK.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    10876829[/URL]]My mother was recently diagnosed with breast. Small & non-aggressive. Last year clear tests. My father has had prostate for almost 5 years. My 40-year old female cousin recently positive too.

What are my odds

Not to play doctor but Tumeric has been shown to help. I wish I could find the article but one of the big Pharmas is integrating cur in into one of their cancer medications.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    My mother was recently diagnosed with breast. Small & non-aggressive. Last year clear tests. My father has had prostate for almost 5 years. My 40-year old female cousin recently positive too.

What are my odds

You can actually get some sort of odds if all the people you mentioned and yourself get genetically tested.
    But, your female relatives have to have a certain type of breast cancer.
    And it’s not the same as testing for antigens associated with certain cancers. that indicate you probably have the disease.
    It gets tough: Do you really want to know (genetically) if you have tested clean for cancer cells antigen wise?

My mother in law decided not to get tested genetically even though one of her daughters has the type of breast cancer that has a genetic test ((marker) My wife decided not to get tested as well. And we still don’t have genetic tests for all cancers. Also the numbers you would be given if you have the genetic marker would best be explained by a genetic counselor.
    Last edited by pgardn; 03-24-2023 at 10:15 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    My condolences brother. Hope she's able to beat it and live many more years.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    Best of luck, brother. My mom currently has some follow-up appointments in the next 2 weeks to either rule out or confirm some abnormal labs and new onset symptoms. It’s a helpless, scary feeling.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Sending positive vibes to everyone and their families

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    You can actually get some sort of odds if all the people you mentioned and yourself get genetically tested.
    But, your female relatives have to have a certain type of breast cancer.
    And it’s not the same as testing for antigens associated with certain cancers. that indicate you probably have the disease.
    It gets tough: Do you really want to know (genetically) if you have tested clean for cancer cells antigen wise?

My mother in law decided not to get tested genetically even though one of her daughters has the type of breast cancer that has a genetic test ((marker) My wife decided not to get tested as well. And we still don’t have genetic tests for all cancers. Also the numbers you would be given if you have the genetic marker would best be explained by a genetic counselor.
    If you know, and you test positive for likelihood of cancer, then at least you can go full Angelina Jolie and get the necessary organs removed in advance before it's too late. Hey she may not have her reproductive organs anymore but she has kids and she has life, what more do you need?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    If you know, and you test positive for likelihood of cancer, then at least you can go full Angelina Jolie and get the necessary organs removed in advance before it's too late. Hey she may not have her reproductive organs anymore but she has kids and she has life, what more do you need?
    You will get a probability most likely.
    And if it is really a "necessary organ" I think you would choose not to have both lungs removed. (and your doc wont do it, go to Russia and donate your lungs and your death) jk

It gets tough if the decision comes down to removing both breasts that have no evidence of cancer (and you get them removed after being given a probability.)

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    You will get a probability most likely.
    And if it is really a "necessary organ" I think you would choose not to have both lungs removed. (and your doc wont do it, go to Russia and donate your lungs and your death) jk

It gets tough if the decision comes down to removing both breasts that have no evidence of cancer (and you get them removed after being given a probability.)
    If the probability is significantly high and you're 45+ and done with having kids then it's a no brainer imo if your insurance will cover it or at least most of it less some reasonable deductible and coinsurance.

Yeah if it's your lungs then obviously stop smoking (anything), stay away from factories, get a radon mitigation system in your basement if you have one. If you smoked then get a chest x-ray once a year, it's typically covered by insurance.

Obviously there's a few of the rarer cancers like glioblastoma that you cannot typically predict and literally not do anything about, but they're relatively rare, similar to something like ALS or Huntington's disease.

For people at average risk for all cancer (i.e. not at a genetically heightened risk) there are many things you can do to prevent cancer, such as eating an antioxidant rich diet, minimizing both added sugars and artificial sweeteners, not eating fast food and minimizing greasy fried foods, don't eat french fries or otherwise deep fried potatoes like tater tots etc, don't eat charred well done meats, don't eat processed meats that contain nitrites or added nitrates, don't eat stuff like candy or pastries more than once or twice per year, don't smoke (cigs/cigars/weed/e-cigs are all roughly equally bad), minimize drinking to one drink per night or less, exercise plenty, minimize stress, minimize exposure to emotional trauma and/or depression, maximize adrenaline and happiness in life (that's underrated), and maintaining a good social life and sex life helps too surprisingly enough. Loners live shorter lives.

Also, sleeping at least eight hours per 24 hour day (i.e. night) on average is invaluably important, because your brain, organs, and cells need downtime to rest and recuperate. People who are chronically sleep deprived due to work or other life drama also live shorter lives.
    Last edited by Millennial_Messiah; 03-26-2023 at 06:34 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    If the probability is significantly high and you're 45+ and done with having kids then it's a no brainer imo if your insurance will cover it or at least most of it less some reasonable deductible and coinsurance.

Yeah if it's your lungs then obviously stop smoking (anything), stay away from factories, get a radon mitigation system in your basement if you have one. If you smoked then get a chest x-ray once a year, it's typically covered by insurance.

Obviously there's a few of the rarer cancers like glioblastoma that you cannot typically predict and literally not do anything about, but they're relatively rare, similar to something like ALS or Huntington's disease.

For people at average risk for all cancer (i.e. not at a genetically heightened risk) there are many things you can do to prevent cancer, such as eating an antioxidant rich diet, minimizing both added sugars and artificial sweeteners, not eating fast food and minimizing greasy fried foods, don't eat french fries or otherwise deep fried potatoes like tater tots etc, don't eat charred well done meats, don't eat processed meats that contain nitrites or added nitrates, don't eat stuff like candy or pastries more than once or twice per year, don't smoke (cigs/cigars/weed/e-cigs are all roughly equally bad), minimize drinking to one drink per night or less, exercise plenty, minimize stress, minimize exposure to emotional trauma and/or depression, maximize adrenaline and happiness in life (that's underrated), and maintaining a good social life and sex life helps too surprisingly enough. Loners live shorter lives.

Also, sleeping at least eight hours per 24 hour day (i.e. night) on average is invaluably important, because your brain, organs, and cells need downtime to rest and recuperate. People who are chronically sleep deprived due to work or other life drama also live shorter lives.
    Your eating and healthy life style are important.
    Which makes the GENETIC probability that much more unreliable.
    Some of these are brand new markers without a huge amount of data.
    So if yo get a range of 20% to 50% ….? You have to be in that situation to answer the “what to do”
    We can pontificate all we want with the luxury of not being faced with the decision.

The lung thing was a dark joke.
    Kinda like my joke about the girl you put up in the rate her thread.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Your eating and healthy life style are important.
    Which makes the GENETIC probability that much more unreliable.
    Some of these are brand new markers without a huge amount of data.
    So if yo get a range of 20% to 50% ….? You have to be in that situation to answer the “what to do”
    We can pontificate all we want with the luxury of not being faced with the decision.

The lung thing was a dark joke.
    Kinda like my joke about the girl you put up in the rate her thread.
    That 20-50% chance would be large enough for me to strongly consider removal of reproductive organs that are not necessary to survival. Hopefully you're not on one of those ty Obamacare plans that have like zero network and wouldn't cover such an operation.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    That 20-50% chance would be large enough for me to strongly consider removal of reproductive organs that are not necessary to survival. Hopefully you're not on one of those ty Obamacare plans that have like zero network and wouldn't cover such an operation.
    Your insurance covers elective prostatectomy?

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Your insurance covers elective prostatectomy?
    Not yet, but hopefully in the future. Hopefully in the future American society sees the truth which is that healthcare is a right and not a privilege while education is a privilege and not a right. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness... healthcare = life. Education is a privilege and should be privatized.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Not yet, but hopefully in the future. Hopefully in the future American society sees the truth which is that healthcare is a right and not a privilege while education is a privilege and not a right. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness... healthcare = life. Education is a privilege and should be privatized.
    One of the main aspects of the 50s -60s that put us technologically ahead and gave us more equality in income was public education.
    But you want education to become privileged, as in only the ________ get an education?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    And I’m saying it’s easy for you to say this because you don’t walk in the shoes…
    So you are a young man with high risk for prostate cancer… you would never let anyone fool with your chances to pass your seed on to a fat blond midwestern woman to bear your children. Plus she would make casseroles for you only if you were fertile.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    And I’m saying it’s easy for you to say this because you don’t walk in the shoes…
    So you are a young man with high risk for prostate cancer… you would never let anyone fool with your chances to pass your seed on to a fat blond midwestern woman to bear your children. Plus she would make casseroles for you only if you were fertile.
    like I said, you wait until you're 50 ish and past the prime age for procreation

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    One of the main aspects of the 50s -60s that put us technologically ahead and gave us more equality in income was public education.
    But you want education to become privileged, as in only the ________ get an education?
    Public education used to be better generations ago, but now it's in the toilet with all these ultra culturally left wing principals, superintendents, indoctrinated educators that went to today's public university system etc. that are extremely permissive and preach infinite chances and safety nets rather than accountability and law and order. From an early age these kids are taught to be dumb and that bad behavior and slacking is okay because there will be infinite excuses and chances made for them compared to past generations. In school suspension has become essentially a second recess. These kids either graduate or drop out of high school and become chronic shoplifters, looters, rioters, and career progressive policy sign holders in mobs as opposed to actual productive members of society.

Defund public education. It was one purposeful but not for at least a generation.

Thread Information