Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't care what Mills wants. Need more than pick 59 or 60.
    Robin + DaVinci Code?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh. I wouldn't be upset with that deal but it doesn't excite me. I want more than the 59th or 60th pick for Mills. I also don't care about "replacing" Poeltl. If he leaves, Lyles, Eubanks, Jackie Butler or whoever off the street can fill the role, I don't care.
    Butler's only 35-- he might have one more run in him.

Off the top of your head, who are a half dozen bargain basement bigs you'd consider?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Robin + DaVinci Code?
    Obviously not for Mills. Maybe for DeRozan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh. I wouldn't be upset with that deal but it doesn't excite me. I want more than the 59th or 60th pick for Mills. I also don't care about "replacing" Poeltl. If he leaves, Lyles, Eubanks, Jackie Butler or whoever off the street can fill the role, I don't care.
    Yikes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Off the top of your head, who are a half dozen bargain basement bigs you'd consider?
    Haven't really thought about it because I'm not even sure it'd be worthwhile to sign a replacement but even someone like John Henson would probably be okay enough. Harry Giles is talented enough to be an interesting target too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haven't really thought about it because I'm not even sure it'd be worthwhile to sign a replacement but even someone like John Henson would probably be okay enough. Harry Giles is talented enough to be an interesting target too.
    I like Harry Giles as a gamble too, even though it's based entirely on catching him at just the right time post injuries and third year in. His advanced stats so far are a horror, but I think it's a worthwhile risk for a 22 year old that was once the best high school player in the country.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Giles would be nice.

Health is his main issue.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm with timvp about Poetl.

If he have something like 10 millions/year i will probably let him walk away, he showed too much flaws in today's nba : no post game, not very good at finishing, bad at the FT line, not very good for switching on the perimeter ....

Depends on the price.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    i'm with timvp about Poetl.

If he have something like 10 millions/year i will probably let him walk away, he showed too much flaws in today's nba : no post game, not very good at finishing, bad at the FT line, not very good for switching on the perimeter ....

Depends on the price.
    Your Statement is so wrong on so many levels:

- He has a Post game, just uses it not enough, what actually is a problem. Lack of Confidence, or the order to pass first than score, i am not sure. But when you watched him in College or Toronto you have seen that he has a postgame.
    - He is a good finisher around the rim (just look at his efficency). Dont dwell to much on some bad misses, everybody has them even LeBron. Overall he finishes very well.
    - FT Line, yes that is a problem, but also one that can be fixed
    - Defending the Perimeter as a Center is actually one of his Strongpoints. He is mobile enough to not get Guards to pass him to easy. He made many Blocks defending Guards. A reason, why with him the overall Defense of the Team goes way up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your Statement is so wrong on so many levels:

- He has a Post game, just uses it not enough, what actually is a problem. Lack of Confidence, or the order to pass first than score, i am not sure. But when you watched him in College or Toronto you have seen that he has a postgame.
    - He is a good finisher around the rim (just look at his efficency). Dont dwell to much on some bad misses, everybody has them even LeBron. Overall he finishes very well.
    - FT Line, yes that is a problem, but also one that can be fixed
    - Defending the Perimeter as a Center is actually one of his Strongpoints. He is mobile enough to not get Guards to pass him to easy. He made many Blocks defending Guards. A reason, why with him the overall Defense of the Team goes way up.

1 We don't have the same definition of post moves, can you tell me one post move he can do regularly ?

2 He is not a strong finisher for me , he lacks some agressiveness that's what i mean but i'm ok he is not that bad

3 at least we agree about the FT and that's an important part of the game

What i mean is not that he is bad, he have some qualities also but i will not give him too much because of the flaws. I could be wrong.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

1 We don't have the same definition of post moves, can you tell me one post move he can do regularly ?

2 He is not a strong finisher for me , he lacks some agressiveness that's what i mean but i'm ok he is not that bad

3 at least we agree about the FT and that's an important part of the game

What i mean is not that he is bad, he have some qualities also but i will not give him too much because of the flaws. I could be wrong.
    1 - Back to the basket, pusing down defenders to get a good look. AS i said in College and Toronto he did that. Something changed in SA why he does his moves rarely. Dont get me wrong, i am not saying he is a beast in the post. I am just refuting your claim, that he has no moves.

2 - Aggressiveness has nothing to do with finishing. Finishing means putting the ball in the basket up close. Which he does. I dont remember TD to be an aggressiv finisher, he was rather smooth. In my book what is important, how much of his chances he converts into baskets. Poeltl has a high efficency in that regard. At least thats my take on what finishing is.

3 - Yep. Something that can be fixed. 70% would be enough. Nobody demands him to be a 90% FT shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should have invited Trump to speak to the players
    Make pop quite!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Make pop quite!
    You pee on little girls.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a well-written defense of Poeltl. I basically agree with everything you wrote. In fact, I wouldn't even put a condition on him being a good finisher. It'd be nice if he dunked it more but his career field goal percentage is all we need to look at to verify the claim that he's a quality finisher.

But, still, he's not an elite center. He'll never become an elite center. He's not the modern type of floor spacing center who has value even when he's away from the action. At most, he's a pretty-good-if-that's-who-you-have starting center who will always be vastly underrated by the general population.

With Aldridge on the team, Poeltl's definitely not worth $10 million. That should be clear. However, even if the Spurs start a rebuild by trading away Aldridge and DeRozan, I just don't believe that Poeltl is worth $10 million in cap flexibility to a rebuilding team. Poeltl is a good part to a good team. On a rebuilding team, he might help keep things respectable ... but is that even a good thing? A) Losing in the short-term isn't a major concern to a rebuilding team. B) Poeltl has a known ceiling, so him getting minutes on a rebuilding team wouldn't unlock excess value. Compare that to someone like Lyles. I'm not a big Lyles fan but, hey, give him 30 MPG on a rebuilding team and it's not out of the realm of possibilities that he actually turns out to be a lot better than previously thought.

At the end of the day, a good comparison is Tiago Splitter. Peak Poeltl and Peak Splitter are just about the same level of player. Back in the summer of 2013, I was all for keeping Splitter at his $10 million price tag. For that team, he was a necessity and it would have been an absolute disaster to lose him. But now? On this team? In this situation? I can't co-sign on Poeltl getting $10 million. He's worth that amount of money to the right team (you could probably justify even $12 or $13 million, actually) but not the Spurs at this point in their life cycle, IMO. Sorry.

Thanks for your explanation. I get your point which focuses more on what lies in the future in terms of cap space. That is something that I am not really clued in about, but from what similar centers are being paid in the current free agency (Mason Plumlee - 3 years 25 million, Derrick Favors - 3 years 30 million..).. I am guessing Poeltl will be valued in that range as well.

Lastly, while I get your point about rebuilding and unlocking value going forward, I just disagree with you that letting him go for free will pay the Spurs better than slightly overpaying him by $4-5 million relative to current market value. The reason why I say so, is that for our guards and small wings to be effective (and that is the thrust of our rebuilding core), they need adequate shot blocking and screening actions by a competent center to unlock their own utility and actions. And that is where I find more value in Poeltl during rebuilding than looking elsewhere in the short-term.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can only have one option year under the current CBA. You can sign a player to a five-year full non-guaranteed deal so long as you have Bird rights.
    So I was mixing up player options with non-guaranteed years. Got it.

My bad DPG21920. Your trade idea works.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Make pop quite!
    Yeah, then they could just claim that they won the NBA championship by a huge margin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Make pop quite!
    With Becky Hammon around, Trump might wanna reach for that pussy and grab it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What happened with Trey?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What happened with Trey?
    He stay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count