Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    I didn't assume conspiracy at all. I'm saying once Hollywood finds someone bankable like Smith, there's no reason to look for another Will Smith. But those guys are out there.
    They tried finding another Tom Cruise after the weird Oprah incident, and realized he’s not so easily replaced. Same thing with Will Smith. If he was easy to replace they’d have done it by now.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    This is almost as re ed as saying “It’s easy to replace LeBron, there’s tons of basketball players out there”

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    They tried finding another Tom Cruise after the weird Oprah incident, and realized he’s not so easily replaced. Same thing with Will Smith. If he was easy to replace they’d have done it by now.
    From a talent standpoint, I think they're both replaceable. But at this point, those guys are so well liked by enough people and they're guaranteed bankable, that it probably doesn't make sense to try to replace them. Why would the studios change anything when they can pretty much predict what those guys are going to bring in? Do you really think Will Smith is the only goofy likeable black dude in the world?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Seems like you guys are upset over hypotheticals instead of what actually happened.
    I don't think anyone is upset but I'm pretty sure most of us condemn what Smith actually did, not any hypotheticals.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This is almost as re ed as saying “It’s easy to replace LeBron, there’s tons of basketball players out there”
    That's a re ed take. In athletics, for the most part, the best players will always rise to the top. There's not nearly the subjectivity as there is with acting or music. You think Taylor Swift is one of the most talented singers in the world?
    You really don't think there is someone else with the acting ability and likeability of Smith?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Seems like you guys are upset over hypotheticals instead of what actually happened.
    I'm just wondering if mm would still stand with Will if he hit a woman. Or a guy bigger than him. He slapped a skinny little guy barely bigger than koriwhat.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    That's a re ed take. In athletics, for the most part, the best players will always rise to the top. There's not nearly the subjectivity as there is with acting or music. You think Taylor Swift is one of the most talented singers in the world?
    You really don't think there is someone else with the acting ability and likeability of Smith?
    Other people maybe can sing like Taylor Swift, but other people don’t have the songwriting talent, business savvy, ability to promote and market themselves, and connect to their fans the way Taylor Swift can. So no, they don’t have Taylor’s talent.

If other “goofy likeable” black actors had all the talent and savvy that Will Smith has, they would have risen to Will Smith’s level. They didn’t get there because they don’t have what Will Smith has.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Other people maybe can sing like Taylor Swift, but other people don’t have the songwriting talent, business savvy, ability to promote and market themselves, and connect to their fans the way Taylor Swift can. So no, they can’t do what Taylor does.

If other “goofy likeable” black actors had all the talent and savvy that Will Smith has, they would have risen to Will Smith’s level. They didn’t get there because they don’t have what Will Smith has.
    You're way off on this.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's not like people aren't trying to supplant these celebs, and if they could they would have. The name is everything. Denzel in a movie sells tickets. Rozelle, who could be a really good actor, won't even make it to DVD.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    You're way off on this.
    Fantastic rebuttal! Your capitulation is duly noted.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    Will Smith’s filmography is almost entirely mediocre sci-fi movies and passing on a few truly iconic movie roles, and despite all that he was still THE BIGGEST MOVIE STAR IN THE WORLD FOR A DECADE. If you see that and think “well any ol’ goofy black dude could have done that” then you’re an idiot.

Thanks for playing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Fantastic rebuttal! Your capitulation is duly noted.
    You're obviously not going to be convinced otherwise. Not saying that Swift et al. don't have talent. I'm saying that talent isn't as exclusive you seem to think it is. You can talk about her marketing and songwriting but I'll say that once you get to the level where you don't have to have a real job, then you have all the time in the world to work on song writing, instrument playing...whatever. And you surely can't say that a pop star's success is based on talent alone. If you're not reasonably good looking, you don't have a chance. Is that talent? When's the last time you saw a butt ugly pop star?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Will Smith’s filmography is almost entirely mediocre sci-fi movies and passing on a few truly iconic movie roles, and despite all that he was still THE BIGGEST MOVIE STAR IN THE WORLD FOR A DECADE. If you see that and think “well any ol’ goofy black dude could have done that” then you’re an idiot.

Thanks for playing.
    My point is that if Smith wasn't around, someone else would have taken all of those roles. And we wouldn't even blink an eye. As I said, at this point, Smith is a known commodity. A ton of people love hm and will go watch whatever he puts out. Good or bad. That's not a confirmation of talent. Just popularity.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    moving the goalposts because you don’t have an argument anymore.

But hey, you tried.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    moving the goalposts because you don’t have an argument anymore.

But hey, you tried.
    You pretty much already moved them.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's insane to me that you think you're wining this argument with "thanks for playing" and "moving the goalposts".
    You seriously don't think these actors and musical stars aren't replaceable?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    See, even this is melodramatic. Comedians aren't suddenly going to stop making fun of other celebrities at award shows now. This was a fluke cir stance involving a lack of awareness about a health condition and it escalated into a minor physical confrontation. It's the kind of thing that happens daily across the country even between people who are friends and it's quickly forgotten within a few days or even hours.
    In a different, private setting... I'd agree 100%. This was not. I'm not saying Will needs to be stripped of his award or be arrested or any of that . But if you or I had walked up on stage at a comedy club and slapped the comedian because he hurt our feelings, at the very least a couple of burly guys would've tossed us out. Had Will been asked to leave and lose the opportunity to accept the award in person, all this discussion would've stopped a lot sooner IMO. Instead now the Academy is reviewing punishment, sanctions and bull just to save face.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    It's insane to me that you think you're wining this argument with "thanks for playing" and "moving the goalposts".
    You seriously don't think these actors and musical stars aren't replaceable?
    Name me the other black actor from 1996-2010 who could have had Will Smith’s career.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Name me the other black actor from 1996-2010 who could have had Will Smith’s career.
    That's my point. Smith worked out early on and at that point, there wasn't a need to find another Will Smith. But had he not been around, those movies still would have been made and we'd be talking about someone else.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Do you think will would have slapped Amy Schumer if she had made that joke?
    No, not a fair fight. But he could have egged Jada on to slap her instead.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    From a talent standpoint, I think they're both replaceable. But at this point, those guys are so well liked by enough people and they're guaranteed bankable, that it probably doesn't make sense to try to replace them. Why would the studios change anything when they can pretty much predict what those guys are going to bring in? Do you really think Will Smith is the only goofy likeable black dude in the world?
    They tried to replace Charlie Sheen with Ashton Kutcher in two and a half men and look what happened. The show got even tier than it was before.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    That's my point. Smith worked out early on and at that point, there wasn't a need to find another Will Smith. But had he not been around, those movies still would have been made and we'd be talking about someone else.
    Who? There’s tons of black actors working from 1996-2010. Who is the guy back then whose superstar career went unrealized because Will Smith stood in his way?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    Who? There’s tons of black actors working from 1996-2010. Who is the guy back then whose superstar career went unrealized because Will Smith stood in his way?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    They tried to replace Charlie Sheen with Ashton Kutcher in two and a half men and look what happened. The show got even tier than it was before.
    Yeah...but they replaced Coach with Woody Harrelson and it was funnier.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I don't know who the would have replaced him. I'm not a CSA. But someone would have been Agent Whatever in MIB. Someone else would have played Ali. Maybe Jamie Foxx. Maybe some dude we never heard about. Maybe a white dude in a lot of the movies. I'm sorry to poop on your love affair with Will Smith and Taylor Swift.

Thread Information