Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 FRPs was always the bare minimum, especially if the Nets want another team involved. Lakers are just stuck living in la-la land if they ever thought they would get Irving for less.

Still think it's stupid for the Lakers to give away what little draft capital they have for like...one, maybe two more shots with AD and LeBron but LeGM usually gets his way.
    They are fully invested in another 2-3yr window is LBJ co-operates. Their future is poor regardless.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The NBA is a mess. It lives the constant news cycle of superstar machinations, but it kills the concept of teams imo.

So, I’m torn. As a Spurs fan I would love for us to somehow unload players that are not in our timeline and get assets in return. On the other hand I love the idea of seeing LeBron and Durant stuck in the situation of their making.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The NBA is a mess. It lives the constant news cycle of superstar machinations, but it kills the concept of teams imo.

So, I’m torn. As a Spurs fan I would love for us to somehow unload players that are not in our timeline and get assets in return. On the other hand I love the idea of seeing LeBron and Durant stuck in the situation of their making.
    For better or worse, we all know Pop holds a grudge against the Lakers. If it were up to him, I doubt he wants to do them any favors by absorbing Westbrook's terrible contract just for a FRP and then helping them win another ring.

Obviously Wright and team can do what they want...but then they face the decision of letting Westbrook play (god no) or eating 40-ish million dollars.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For better or worse, we all know Pop holds a grudge against the Lakers. If it were up to him, I doubt he wants to do them any favors by absorbing Westbrook's terrible contract just for a FRP and then helping them win another ring.

Obviously Wright and team can do what they want...but then they face the decision of letting Westbrook play (god no) or eating 40-ish million dollars.
    Pop’s stubbornness is a big reason we are here today. If 1 unprotected Lakers FRP is on the table for us to buyout Wes and they take back McBooger that is a nice parting gift for Pop to leave us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop’s stubbornness is a big reason we are here today. If 1 unprotected Lakers FRP is on the table for us to buyout Wes and they take back McBooger that is a nice parting gift for Pop to leave us.
    Both picks would be headed to BKN, is what it sounds like. Have no idea how they plan to offload Russ, and don't much care if they're not offering us one of the unprotected picks.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 FRPs was always the bare minimum, especially if the Nets want another team involved. Lakers are just stuck living in la-la land if they ever thought they would get Irving for less.

Still think it's stupid for the Lakers to give away what little draft capital they have for like...one, maybe two more shots with AD and LeBron but LeGM usually gets his way.
    Not really if they get another le. Spurs can have years of top draft picks and never win a championship from it like other teams haven't won with top draft picks. The lakers don't build their teams from the draft, they can buy free agents.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both picks would be headed to BKN, is what it sounds like. Have no idea how they plan to offload Russ, and don't much care if they're not offering us one of the unprotected picks.
    I think that is a fair trade but moreso for BK to start the rebuild if Durant truly wants out.

Regardless I don’t think we have a role to play in this other than to get our lunches eaten.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's our incentive to be involved then?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really if they get another le. Spurs can have years of top draft picks and never win a championship from it like other teams haven't won with top draft picks. The lakers don't build their teams from the draft, they can buy free agents.
    Which is why those 2 FRPs from the Lakers are questionable anways. Who knows what could happen between now and 2029, but there will always be star players clamoring to play for the Lakers so even if LeBron leaves and AD breaks down, there is no guarantee that those picks will be worth much if the Lakers find another lucky reset button.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's our incentive to be involved then?
    None, hence the expression "don't much care..."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which is why those 2 FRPs from the Lakers are questionable anways. Who knows what could happen between now and 2029, but there will always be star players clamoring to play for the Lakers so even if LeBron leaves and AD breaks down, there is no guarantee that those picks will be worth much if the Lakers find another lucky reset button.
    1996 - Shaq signs with the Lakers
    2018 - LeBron Signs with the Lakers

This whole trope of 'Lakers can sign free agents easily' is WAY overblown.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers being willing to include both the 2027 and 2029 picks is a step in the right direction towards a deal. We'll have to see if they're willing to have those be completely unprotected, and if they would make an unprotected 2028 swap available. That swap would be worth less to the Spurs than to the Nets given that the Spurs already have swap rights with Boston (top 1 protected) in 2028, but it's still another potential bite at the lottery apple if the Spurs want to play hardball.

If the Nets are willing to take back one of the 2027/2029 picks plus useful players (is McDermott useful to them?) for Irving, perhaps with the Lakers 2028 swap, the Spurs can get the other pick and absorb Westbrook's contract. I believe the Spurs have enough cap space for the difference between Westbrook's and McDermott's contracts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1996 - Shaq signs with the Lakers
    2018 - LeBron Signs with the Lakers

This whole trope of 'Lakers can sign free agents easily' is WAY overblown.
    Hm...I seem to recall the Lakers knoodling their way into getting Kobe from the Hornets on draft day.

Managed to pull off a wacky trade to bring in Pau Gasol for what seemed like scraps (Marc Gasol turned out good, but still...)

Almost got Chris Paul (if not veto'd by the NBA who owned the Hornets at the time)

Got notable names like Ron Artest, Dwight Howard, Steve Nash, Karl Malone, Gary Payton to join....some worked out better than others.

Got Davis to force a trade out of New Orleans for, who....the Lakers.

ALMOST got Kawhi through his bull but Spurs balked, and so Lakers signed LeBron instead so Kawhi went to Clippers.

Should I.....should I keep going?

In tday's NBA....players just say where they want to go and expect it to happen. It's literally happening with Kyrie right now and sadly...it works a lot of the time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is a russell westy trade back in the works?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hm...I seem to recall the Lakers knoodling their way into getting Kobe from the Hornets on draft day.

Managed to pull off a wacky trade to bring in Pau Gasol for what seemed like scraps (Marc Gasol turned out good, but still...)

Almost got Chris Paul (if not veto'd by the NBA who owned the Hornets at the time)

Got notable names like Ron Artest, Dwight Howard, Steve Nash, Karl Malone, Gary Payton to join....some worked out better than others.

Got Davis to force a trade out of New Orleans for, who....the Lakers.

ALMOST got Kawhi through his bull but Spurs balked, and so Lakers signed LeBron instead so Kawhi went to Clippers.

Should I.....should I keep going?

In tday's NBA....players just say where they want to go and expect it to happen. It's literally happening with Kyrie right now and sadly...it works a lot of the time.
    The category was free agents, and if they do the Kyrie trade, they won’t be able to pull off a trade heist until 2031, the next pick that would be clear to trade. Either the 2027 pick or the 2029 pick, unprotected, would be gold.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I look at it as win-win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any trade for Westbrook is a bad trade whether its the Nets, the spurs, pacers whomever. I just can't see how two future picks from the lakers are worth Westbrook's 47 million dollar salary.

Fact 1 Getting rid of Westbrook's salary will immediately help the Lakers no matter how much players and salary they take back.
    Fact 2 Whomever gets Westbrook will possibly buy him him out saving a few million dollars but essentially losing 40 plus million dollars in the transaction, all while he plays for another team.
    Fact 3 Yes you will get 2 1st round picks but that's 5 and 7 years from now. The lakers will find some schmuck team to trade some of their aging or half ass talent for picks in the meantime.
    fact 4 You will also have to give the lakers some players. The spurs don't have that much talent to begin with and we are close to the bottom already. Sending some talent to the lakers will make us even worse for a few more years. Does any team want that ?

Look the solution in simple. The lakers created their own mess with Russ. Let them work it out, we don't have to help them. The lakers are just waiting for some team to blink. If the lakers somehow manage to unload Russ, they'll be laughing their asses all the way to the bank. The lakers don't care about draft picks 5-7 years from now, they care about getting rid of Russ - and competing now that's it. LeBron isn't going to be happy unless they get rid of Russ. All they need is a sucker team. Please let it not be the spurs. I'd rather they paid all their unused salary on our players rather on a washed up Russ.

There are better ways to get 2 future picks than wasting 40 plus million dollars for a washed up player that isn't worth a quarter of his salary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any trade for Westbrook is a bad trade whether its the Nets, the spurs, pacers whomever. I just can't see how two future picks from the lakers are worth Westbrook's 47 million dollar salary.

Fact 1 Getting rid of Westbrook's salary will immediately help the Lakers no matter how much players and salary they take back.
    Fact 2 Whomever gets Westbrook will possibly buy him him out saving a few million dollars but essentially losing 40 plus million dollars in the transaction, all while he plays for another team.
    Fact 3 Yes you will get 2 1st round picks but that's 5 and 7 years from now. The lakers will find some schmuck team to trade some of their aging or half ass talent for picks in the meantime.
    fact 4 You will also have to give the lakers some players. The spurs don't have that much talent to begin with and we are close to the bottom already. Sending some talent to the lakers will make us even worse for a few more years. Does any team want that ?

Look the solution in simple. The lakers created their own mess with Russ. Let them work it out, we don't have to help them. The lakers are just waiting for some team to blink. If the lakers somehow manage to unload Russ, they'll be laughing their asses all the way to the bank. The lakers don't care about draft picks 5-7 years from now, they care about getting rid of Russ - and competing now that's it. LeBron isn't going to be happy unless they get rid of Russ. All they need is a sucker team. Please let it not be the spurs. I'd rather they paid all their unused salary on our players rather on a washed up Russ.

There are better ways to get 2 future picks than wasting 40 plus million dollars for a washed up player that isn't worth a quarter of his salary.
    Fact: that cap will be a sunk cost for us. If we could get a franchise altering draft pick for it you fking do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fact: that cap will be a sunk cost for us. If we could get a franchise altering draft pick for it you fking do it.
    We are already knee deep into trying to get a franchise altering draft pick for next year. Taking Russ off the lakers hands won't help us. Not me, not you or Miss Cleo know where the 27 and 29 Laker draft picks will land, but odds are they wont be a top 5 pick in either 27 or 29. So much for a franchise altering draft pick

We are going to be bad this year unfortunately, so we tank for Wembayama its the logical thing to do. If we don't get him, there are other decent players we can draft to help us. We can do all of this without helping the lakers one bit. I'm sure Pop would say Screw the lakers, Russ is their problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are already knee deep into trying to get a franchise altering draft pick for next year. Taking Russ off the lakers hands won't help us. Not me, not you or Miss Cleo know where the 27 and 29 Laker draft picks will land, but odds are they wont be a top 5 pick in either 27 or 29. So much for a franchise altering draft pick

We are going to be bad this year unfortunately, so we tank for Wembayama its the logical thing to do. If we don't get him, there are other decent players we can draft to help us. We can do all of this without helping the lakers one bit. I'm sure Pop would say Screw the lakers, Russ is their problem.
    Stubborn Pop is a big reason we have been bottom of the league since Leonard exited. Prideful nature will be the death of this franchise. You need to allocate this 35mm in cap space in the coming months to help sustain our future. If it means helping the Lakers in the short term so be it.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think of it this way: if it was a team other than the Lakers that made the same offer, would you take it?

If so, you should take the offer from the Lakers too because otherwise you're just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think of it this way: if it was a team other than the Lakers that made the same offer, would you take it?

If so, you should take the offer from the Lakers too because otherwise you're just cutting off your nose to spite your face.
    I think of it this way. I hate tanking but I get why the spurs are doing it. I also get get spending cap money now for a future benefit. There are a ton of overpriced nba players that we could spend our cap money on and possibly get a future return also. Those type of players are overpriced but not necessarily useless like Russ. The lakers made a bad decision signing Russ. We know it, they know it, now they're trying to make lemonaide out of the lemon they traded for.

Teams are slowing figuring out some players just aren't worth their max salaries especially towards the end of their careers (John Wall comes to mind) . So they try to dump them on on some desperate team essentially fleecing them with the lure of draft picks way way down the road. Odds are, the lakers won't be bad that long. Some team will eventually bite.

If the spurs are going to spend their cap space, and it looks like they are willing to, look for the best deal possible. This Russ deal just isn't it. You really don't get anything now and what you do get 5-7 years from now is iffy at best. Lets look for a better deal to spend our cap space on.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think of it this way. I hate tanking but I get why the spurs are doing it. I also get get spending cap money now for a future benefit. There are a ton of overpriced nba players that we could spend our cap money on and possibly get a future return also. Those type of players are overpriced but not necessarily useless like Russ. The lakers made a bad decision signing Russ. We know it, they know it, now they're trying to make lemonaide out of the lemon they traded for.

Teams are slowing figuring out some players just aren't worth their max salaries especially towards the end of their careers (John Wall comes to mind) . So they try to dump them on on some desperate team essentially fleecing them with the lure of draft picks way way down the road. Odds are, the lakers won't be bad that long. Some team will eventually bite.

If the spurs are going to spend their cap space, and it looks like they are willing to, look for the best deal possible. This Russ deal just isn't it. You really don't get anything now and what you do get 5-7 years from now is iffy at best. Lets look for a better deal to spend our cap space on.
    Best case scenario is you hit on your own picks during the tank and trade those unprotected for a third star to open a championship window. It was never the primary goal to make those picks. Three protected would get you a late lottery pick, 3 unprotected would get you an all nba player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Part of the value in unprotected picks if that they are further out.

It’s not “iffy” it’s an unknown like most other variables in this rebuild.

So are the unprotected picks from Atlanta “iffy” also?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Part of the value in unprotected picks if that they are further out.

It’s not “iffy” it’s an unknown like most other variables in this rebuild.

So are the unprotected picks from Atlanta “iffy” also?
    Firstly we got a pick from the hornets which could be conveyed as early as next year or within two more years. That's a reasonable time frame.
    The 1st Atlanta unprotected draft pick is in 2025 which is also in a reasonable time frame. The second Atlanta pick is in 2027, but that's because of the Ted Stepien rule. Can't change that. Even with the addition of Murray, I still don't see the hawks as a top 5 eastern conference team. They are directly competing with several up and coming teams that could knock them down a few notches making our Atlanta picks less "iffy" and more valuable. I can see why they traded Murray for those picks.
    The lakers are a totally different story. In 5 -7 years, Lebron will be long retired or moved on and Ad will have easily broken down already. Some people might say, yea the lakers will be bad by then. That wont happen. After ridding themselves from Lebron's , AD, and Russ's salaries, they will have tons of money to lure free agents and even sign other ring chasers for minimum contracts like they do every year just because they are the stinking Lakers with their 17 championships. They may not win a championship, but they will probably be much closer to it than Atlanta, making their Laker picks more "iffy" and less valuable to the spurs.

Thread Information