Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why the Spurs Won't Pick Shaedon Sharpe

So, yeah, that's the conclusion I've come to after talking it over with others who have been closely following Shaedon Sharpe's situation. Personally, I think getting someone as talented as him at 9 would be really exciting ... but, in reality, I just don't think the Spurs pull the trigger.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good insights. I think fans see him as a blank canvas to project all their hopes for a flawless player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mr. Body‘s favorite prospect. Get in here and swoon bud.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He sounds like another player who's family and hangers on are WAY too involved. Think: Nephew, Jalen Johnson.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why the Spurs Won't Pick Shaedon Sharpe

So, yeah, that's the conclusion I've come to after talking it over with others who have been closely following Shaedon Sharpe's situation. Personally, I think getting someone as talented as him at 9 would be really exciting ... but, in reality, I just don't think the Spurs pull the trigger.
    Do you think the spurs could pull the trigger on Ousmane Dieng ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not even a can't-miss prospect putting the mystery aside. The fact that Kentucky faced major injuries to TyTy Washington and others and could have really used Sharpe? The fact that he didn't bother playing isn't a good sign. Calipari had quotes about him not being ready - and I think he meant in multiple ways. He wasn't in game shape, he wasn't prepared. But ultimately, to reflect what Timvp says, basketball isn't just jumpshots and dunks. It's about being able to see the game, to learn, to react, to be a professional. Every single one of those things is in question. I'm afraid he is a mix of James Wiseman (in hiding himself from view) and guys like Dante Exum (massively rated prospect who never learned how to play effective basketball). I think about a guy like Gerald Green, too, a previous winner of the "OMG This Guy Can Do EVERYTHING" award, when people just meant run and jump.

Not saying he could be very good. He's just not on my radar because I don't think the Spurs would ever consider this guy.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs will be fools if they have a chance to draft him and pass up on him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “He is a talented Primo who sometimes gets sent to the principles office” HARD PASS.

- this was stolen from a white board at SSE.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Real takeaway for me from this article: not about Sharpe per se, but that the Spurs prefer to see players compete in pre-draft compe ions. They really need to consider how many talented players they will miss out on if this is actually true. To me, that’s foolish.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Real takeaway for me from this article: not about Sharpe per se, but that the Spurs prefer to see players compete in pre-draft compe ions. They really need to consider how many talented players they will miss out on if this is actually true. To me, that’s foolish.
    Beyond basketball they need to have multiple references regarding character, especially without a face to face or two.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's Canadian -- how manty Canadians have been the kind of problem children that would evoke such concerns and comparisons. (Although I suppose there's always a first.)

Does his nationality exempt him from character flaws, probably not but I would look for more in the way of red flags than vague references from the likes of John Calipari.

In short, he looks like a fairly high-end talent and, as noted, only 18 years old. The major negative thus far seems to be the lack of tape, not a bad place to be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw 6'6" guard and I am already on a hard pass.

Draft a legit forward FFS

We don't need another Murray/Johnson/Walker/Primo....I'm sure I'm forgetting some because we have too many!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's Canadian -- how manty Canadians have been the kind of problem children that would evoke such concerns and comparisons. (Although I suppose there's always a first.)

Does his nationality exempt him from character flaws, probably not but I would look for more in the way of red flags than vague references from the likes of John Calipari.

In short, he looks like a fairly high-end talent and, as noted, only 18 years old. The major negative thus far seems to be the lack of tape, not a bad place to be.
    Ted Cruz is from Canada, so obviously it's a cesspool.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ted Cruz is from Canada, so obviously it's a cesspool.
    But can't overlook "the Cuban factor" in his case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would love to get the kid but would it even be a distinct possibility?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

As a Canadian, at the risk of being stereotypical this is something you can probably bet on. Character probably is not an issue. People call Wiiseman a bust but he’s injured. He had his little side thing whatever but GS is just as diligent as we are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As a Canadian, at the risk of being stereotypical this is something you can probably bet on. Character probably is not an issue. People call Wiiseman a bust but he’s injured. He had his little side thing whatever but GS is just as diligent as we are.
    Unless he's from Montreal. You know, FRENCH Canadians. Joking!

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beyond basketball they need to have multiple references regarding character, especially without a face to face or two.
    I haven't seen Sharpe is a bad character kid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Keystone Pipeline V. 2.0. Exporting eighteen-year old Canadian ballers directly to Texas. That would be hilarious.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

LOL. Wasn't Rob Ford Canadian? Robert Pickton? Asking for a friend.

I don't like it when guys (or their famalies) start marketing right out of high school. But that's probably the permanent reality of the really top prospects now. If only they were all as good as they think they will be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont have a strong opinion about this. There is not much to base opinion on. I think how he performs in private workouts and interviews will be influential and I have no way of guessing about that. The Spurs do tend to like players who show up at the combine, which is not a place to find the best prospects in the draft, since they skip it in favor of private workouts. So yea, I don’t know. What I do know is that after the top 3, there are many prospects that give you flashes but are flawed one way or another, and for teams who missed on the top 3, but who are still fishing for a star, he’s worth a look at.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not even a can't-miss prospect putting the mystery aside. The fact that Kentucky faced major injuries to TyTy Washington and others and could have really used Sharpe? The fact that he didn't bother playing isn't a good sign. Calipari had quotes about him not being ready - and I think he meant in multiple ways. He wasn't in game shape, he wasn't prepared. But ultimately, to reflect what Timvp says, basketball isn't just jumpshots and dunks. It's about being able to see the game, to learn, to react, to be a professional. Every single one of those things is in question. I'm afraid he is a mix of James Wiseman (in hiding himself from view) and guys like Dante Exum (massively rated prospect who never learned how to play effective basketball). I think about a guy like Gerald Green, too, a previous winner of the "OMG This Guy Can Do EVERYTHING" award, when people just meant run and jump.

Not saying he could be very good. He's just not on my radar because I don't think the Spurs would ever consider this guy.
    I’ll have to look up the Calipari quotes bc I am intrigued. Calipari could have been involved in keeping him out to protect his stock until he “was ready.” It would also be interesting to find out what he had him work on etc.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah Spurs will and should look at at lot of things such as:

1. Talent
    2. Basketball IQ
    3. Athleticism
    4. Coach ability
    5. Work ethic -
    6. Personality - Alpha or a Beta
    7. Group fit
    8. HEART - Desire/Dog - Want a guy who hates to loose and will through his body around
    9. Injury history

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL. Wasn't Rob Ford Canadian? Robert Pickton? Asking for a friend.

I don't like it when guys (or their famalies) start marketing right out of high school. But that's probably the permanent reality of the really top prospects now. If only they were all as good as they think they will be.
    Fair point but Canadian kids who can play probably came from middle class to below middle class
    decent homes. Not hood and probably not wealthy. Doug Ford was actually both.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sharpe wasn't going to just jump on the team and be an immediate starter at the mid point of the season, January. He had to work on conditioning and practice with being a new member of the team and was not likely to play big minutes as Kentucky already had been playing and had established starters. Kentucky entered the 2021-22 season with what looked to be a loaded backcourt that Sharpe would have been hard to crack the rotation in as a mid-year enrollee. So his people and Calipari decided best to hold him out this year as not to hurt his draft stock, makes sense.

It made sense to hold him back and to bring his conditioning up and get him as to not hurt his draft stock value as he wasn't ready to play a big part on Kentucky joining the team mid season. He didn't practice and work with the team early in the season.

Playing for Kentucky with relatively little time to prepare might jeopardize that stock.

It’s really tough to enter into SEC play — not play a single minute of college basketball until you get into SEC play. … It’s not easy going into that. And you want to talk about financial risk … you come in and you struggle, and that’s several million dollars you’re talking about.”

If Sharpe struggled over a handful of games this season and fell from the No. 5 pick to the No. 15 pick, for example. That would make for a large difference in projected earnings.

The No. 1 pick in the 2022 NBA Draft stands to make nearly $28 million over his first three seasons in the league (including the third-year option on rookie contracts). The No. 5 pick would make about $18 million, while the No. 15 pick — for comparison’s sake — would make a little more than $9 million.

Thread Information