Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-trad...training-camp/

The post-Dejounte Trade offseason didn't go as planned, unfortunately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Indy, Utah and SA should all get on the phone together and set their price for the other teams.

So if anyone makes a deal it will be a good one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unfortunate outcome here. Utah and Indy are well ahead of us in terms of facilitating deals at this point.

I’m very doubtful JRich nets you an FRP outright. That asking price for Jak is very fair given the outrageous price for Gobert but he value will only decline from here. I’d take a top 10 protected FRP and keep moving along with the rebuild.

It shouldn’t surprise anyone McD is viewed as a negative asset in most scenarios. He has more value to us as a tank commander. If we want to get his value up let him show he can shoot that 3pt % on volume. He’s never averaged more than 5 attempts a game. If he can shoot 40% on 8-10 shots I think his value will increase toward the trade deadline but still not to an FRP.
    Last edited by KingKev; 09-19-2022 at 08:06 AM.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So if no trades materialize, and they probably won’t soon, I guess training camp will have some minor intrigue as far as which marginal players get cut.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    20 choose 17 with Barlow and Hall likely the two ways we have to cut 3 of:

- Romeo Langford (fully guaranteed)
    - Isaiah Roby (fully guaranteed)
    - Joe Weiskamp (guaranteed opening night)
    - KBD (believe he is partially guaranteed and becomes fully guaranteed opening night)
    - Tommy Kuhse (training camp deal so basically guaranteed opening night)
    - Alize Johnson (training camp deal guaranteed opening night)

I’m cutting KBD, Kuhse, Johnson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "4) I’m told the Spurs have shopped Doug McDermott this summer but they have only received lukewarm interest. Rival scouts insist that McDermott has a negative trade value due to the two years and $27.5 million he has remaining on his contract. However, the Spurs aren’t interested in attaching an asset to McDermott in order to move him."

You don't say...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McDermott having a negative trade value should come as a surprise to one. The guy’s making nearly $14M a year. PATFO never should’ve given him that contract to begin with. One of many errors by this front office over the past 4 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McDermott having a negative trade value should come as a surprise to one. The guy’s making nearly $14M a year. PATFO never should’ve given him that contract to begin with. One of many errors by this front office over the past 4 years.
    Who the F was involved in this decision?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McDermott was to help with stability on a bad team so Pop can get the record, in my opinion. I think/hope those type of deals are done while we “rebuild”.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting rejected for a date with the Lakers.
    For a date with Russell Westbrook.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because I enjoy beating a dead horse…. The guy had no market. His best offer away couldn’t have been more than the MLE at the time and probably on a shorter deal.

If Dougie at 14mm is your worst contract that is manageable still this signing represents the epitome of PATFO having their heads firmly up their asses in the post Duncan era. Thank-fully it appears Pop has removed Wrights chas y belt these last 8 months with PATFO slowly showing they are capable again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who the F was involved in this decision?
    Stop it you drama queens. The spurs can overpay vets they got a huge cap space to waste on vets. Dermot is the least of our problems. You want guys like that for depth on a tanking team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-trad...training-camp/

The post-Dejounte Trade offseason didn't go as planned, unfortunately.
    Check your DM mang

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was all very predictable tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Doug signing was the most obvious stupid signing - so unfortunate. Oh well. At least SA has done well to realize their situation, extract solid value for others and still has some guys like Richardon/Jakob to keep going in that direction.

The FO has done a MUCH better job and turned me from hater to quasi-believer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The points made are fair and I do think Indy and Utah are ahead in term of making good deals, but I think it's a matter of letting everything settle down and some opportunity will present itself. I think Indiana will likely end up taking Westbrook and picks for Myles Turner and Buddy Hield, and Utah will trade a few of their chips (Bodganovic, Clarke) and taking some some longer term salary in the process. When that happens, that should leave the Spurs in better position to take advantage of other deals. Not the scenario we expected, but something good can still come from it... I expect 3 first round picks plus maybe an interesting player for all our assets (Poeltl + Richardson + capspace) when it's all said and done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The signing was worse than I thought. But at the time my thought was, it felt like another Belinelli signing but at least he was taller, I guess?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As always, the spurs are playing a waiting game, with very few callers. As was stated, Indiana and Utah are in a more favorable position than the spurs right now. However if the Pacers and Jazz make a few few trades fairly soon, the spurs will probably be waiting until the trade deadline to make a move, when teams are a little more desperate. Now we all know the spurs don't make many trades at the deadline so that may be a moot point as well. The strategy probably is to play with what we got and tank at the same time for the best chances in next years draft. We're going to be bad no matter what we do this season. Getting picks for our players is great but there have to be two teams willing to tango and right now the spurs are all alone on the dance floor. Embracing the tank is our best option for the spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're not getting 2 first rounders for Jakob tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Utah is not a cap space threat this year unless they dump big contracts without taking money back. They are way over the cap still. The Indy thing makes a lot of sense, but so does the fact that there are just fewer outright terrible contracts out there than their were 10 years about (Allen Crabb deals).

Like others have stated before Richardson (and even Doug) become more valuable towards the deadline. The guy they need to move now though is Jakob. His value - what the spurs will be able to get for him that is - continues to decline following the failure to move him after the last trade deadline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely trade Yak now. Orchestrating a sign and trade next off-season seems like a long shot. He needs to be on a good team, bot giving us extra wins. We scored with Dejounte but not all trades are home runs. Take a first and move on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Utah is not a cap space threat this year unless they dump big contracts without taking money back. They are way over the cap still. The Indy thing makes a lot of sense, but so does the fact that there are just fewer outright terrible contracts out there than their were 10 years about (Allen Crabb deals).

Like others have stated before Richardson (and even Doug) become more valuable towards the deadline. The guy they need to move now though is Jakob. His value - what the spurs will be able to get for him that is - continues to decline following the failure to move him after the last trade deadline.
    Utah’s cap space is largely irrelevant in this race as they are under the luxury cap threshold and between Conley, Bogdonovich, Clarkson and Gay that is 57mm dollars they can use to eat bad contracts for picks. They are absolutely a compe or of ours in cap utilization for picks.

Why does Jak’s value fall while JRich’s increases? Basically same contract.
    Last edited by KingKev; 09-19-2022 at 01:51 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers are going to deal Westbrick. That team will likely be due for another ty year with the aging King, the inept point gawd, and the center cut from glass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Utah’s cap space is largely irrelevant in this race as they are under the luxury cap threshold and between Conley, Bogdonovich, Clarkson and Gay that is 57mm dollars they can use to eat bad contracts for picks. They are absolutely a compe or of our ls in cap utilization.

Why does Jak’s value fall while JRich’s increases? Basically same contract.
    Utah for sure can use expiring contracts to achieve roughly the same goal, but it's not exactly the same situation. We should leave Bogdanovic and Clarkson out since whatever return they get will come from their value as players rather than their status as expiring contracts, much like we expect to collect assets from Poeltl & Richardson besides the fact that they come off the books. Gay can be used for the same purpose, same as Conley, but his contract extends beyond this season. Once Bogdanovic & Clarkson are traded (soon I suspect) their ability to take in bad contracts will go down significantly.

EDIT - Just checked, Gay & Clarkson have a player options for next season.
    Last edited by Ariel; 09-19-2022 at 02:06 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Utah for sure can use expiring contracts to achieve roughly the same goal, but it's not exactly the same situation. We should leave Bogdanovic and Clarkson out since whatever return they get will come from their value as players rather than their status as expiring contracts, much like we expect to collect assets from Poeltl & Richardson besides the fact that they come off the books. Gay can be used for the same purpose, same as Conley, but his contract extends beyond this season. Once Bogdanovic & Clarkson are traded (soon I suspect) their ability to take in bad contracts will go down significantly.
    There are only so many bad contracts out there. Even Hayward probably doesn’t get moved for a cost.

It’s a race to the bottom for teams in the rebuilding stage and Utah is a formidable opponent as their assets are better.

Thread Information