Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look at the success he had in Phoenix. If it weren't for a hip check by Robert Horry and a subsequent suspension of some key players, that Suns team would have swept the Cavs as well and have a ring to their name (one that even Barkley couldn't get them).

He had several good seasons with a system everyone scoffed at and yet he ran to perfection. His team was exciting to watch and his system has been attempted by other coaches (including Pop a couple years back) with scattered success.

If he cannot win in LA, it's not on him. There must be other issues.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    if success to you is not winning championships, you have a dark road ahead of youi

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When the Suns faced Kobe and were down 3 games in the opening round, they rallied back to win. That's a big feat against the powerhouse of prime Kobe Bryant.

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Define "win"

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I agree, the 07 ring not only was a huge asterisk but Jim coattailed frenchie too, these are things we know that we know.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Old bitter fat man DMC checking all the boxes, the Gasol and D'Antoni exoneration threads are done, coming up next the Steve Nash thread... stay tuned.

Funny thing is they were all part of the team that got swept in the 1st round and always lost by double digits but who cares, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Old bitter fat man DMC checking all the boxes, the Gasol and D'Antoni exoneration threads are done, coming up next the Steve Nash thread... stay tuned.

Funny thing is they were all part of the team that got swept in the 1st round and always lost by double digits but who cares, right?
    against who?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been saying this all year, tbh..

D'Antoni is better than the majority of coaches in the NBA(since he actually specializes at something, unlike most NBA coaches that just "motivate"), and the Lakers were a solid offensive team despite Kupchak building a team that didn't fit D'Antoni's style of coaching, tbh..

Kobe supported the hiring of D'Antoni, he had a career year in efficiency in D'Antoni's system, he played a ton of minutes(as if sitting Kobe is an option), and he received all the credit for making the playoffs(despite the Lakers being the most disappointing team in NBA history), while D'Antoni was killed for illogical reasons..

NBA hype machine = D'Antoni and Howard get killed for the Lakers historic collapse, Kobe receives all the credit for the 7th seed..
    Last edited by HarlemHeat37; 09-06-2013 at 01:11 PM.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    kobe's efficiency under d'antonis system is quite.possibly the biggest misconception among non laker fans.

matter of fact kobe was just on fire period, he was shooting above 50% under mike brown last year.
    Last edited by RsxPiimp; 09-06-2013 at 02:49 PM.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    kobe's efficiency under d'antonis system is quite.possibly the biggest misconception among non laker fans.

matter of fact kobe was just on fire period, he was shooting above 50% under mike brown last year.
    Are you talking about the 1-6 start the Lakers were on or whatever it was? What was his FG% for the year?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Banned
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    if success to you is not winning championships, you have a dark road ahead of youi
    I would think that would make the road bright for Spurs fans, seeing that their window is closing faster than Jeanie Buss' legs of Phil Jackson walks away from the Lakers organization.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so you're expecting the spurs to win some championships, eh?

Scarlett our Goddess4ever
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Mike has his own branded concept of game play, no doubt he's a good coach but his style has just turned out to be a bad fit for this LA team imho. The idea of playing those TOSBs in a run-and-gun system sounds just as hilarious as the word gets, things will turn better next season though with the fresh bloods recently signed, nick young for example. D'Antoni might have done a poor job coaching the Lakers so far but he's still far above the likes of potatohead who's just a flat out trash, of course Antoni ain't nowhere close to the top ones either, like Pop and Carlisle.

Is there no one else? AchillesHeel's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course Harlem and DMC are sucking eachother off and overrating a coach. Just look at how many games the Knicks won after Antoni left, and with the same roster, minus Lin. Kirby did so well on O because he was on fire coming off the olympics, where he barely had to do anything, it was a rare thing that Kirby was almost 100% healthy during the season(though he started off with a shoulder injury after dunking in camp). Last 2 months, Kirby shot 42,8% and 44,4% from the field, hardly efficient. His ppg and apg were inflated due to the pace and not spending so much time on D. His best month was in December, when he averaged 33.8 ppg(25 shots per game) on 46,6% shooting.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Look at the success he had in Phoenix. If it weren't for a hip check by Robert Horry and a subsequent suspension of some key players, that Suns team would have swept the Cavs as well and have a ring to their name (one that even Barkley couldn't get them).

He had several good seasons with a system everyone scoffed at and yet he ran to perfection. His team was exciting to watch and his system has been attempted by other coaches (including Pop a couple years back) with scattered success.

Revisionist history.

D'Antoni was a "one trick pony". His philosophy works "pretty good" if you have a ridiculously talented team (Nash, Stoudemire, Joe Johnson, Shawn Marion).

In the playoffs, though, his deficiencies in strategy and adjustments come out and are only exacerbated when facing great coaches like Phil Jackson and Greg Popovic.

Why were the Suns down 1-3 against the Lakers in the first place? Why did the Suns need a borderline miracle comeback in game four (before the hip check). Why did the Suns blow a 20+ point lead in game 5? Why did Alvin Gentry's Suns sweep the Spurs where D'Antoni's couldnt even win three games? You think D'Antoni would have stuck with Goran Dragic during his 24 point fourth quarter?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

It's not that simple. D'Antoni's system needs very specific types of players. If he doesn't have the right players for his system it's not going to work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not that simple. D'Antoni's system needs very specific types of players. If he doesn't have the right players for his system it's not going to work.
    That might be true, but which of his players aren't the right ones?

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Then D'Antoni is not a winning coach. Fail thread tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then D'Antoni is not a winner. Fail thread tbh.
    They won that series, that's what I said. Then you said "define win" and I said "not lose" and you moved the goal posts to "never lose". I didn't call Mike D a winner. I said he won that particular series, which he did.

By your standards, no one in the NBA is a winner because they've all lost before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kobe

Mike needs to run his offense through that 75 y/o Canadian PG

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree, the 07 ring not only was a huge asterisk but Jim coattailed frenchie too, these are things we know that we know.
    yet when 2002 is brought up it's totally legit right? ing laker fans and their double standards

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    then that means he's a one dimensional coach. He can't seem to change his system to try anything else. It's just specific players only. A great coach can adapt and change his system.

Is there no one else? AchillesHeel's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair, Lakers had a pretty decent roster for that system last year but their 3pt shooters sucked ass. Meeks,Metta and Jamison all missed a ton of wide open 3s and none of them even shot 40%. Kirby also kills the flow thanks to his pull up 3s 5ft away from the 3pt line. If Lakers had better shooters they'd be a top 3 offense in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL 02 the worst robbery asterisk ever of a win, Lakers.......... The one in the book mentioned by a ref who called it a rig lol.... How dare you even mention asterisk rings you got.

Thread Information