Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw this being discussed in another thread but I think this deserves its own thread.

here is what Pop has to say about Lonnie after the Clippers game:

Is Pop just trying to give him tough love? Or is this a small hint that Pop thinks he is a bust?
    Saying he is “non-compe ive” is a strong statement to say about an individual player to the media. Pop is usually more reserved about individuals. He typically calls the entire team out, not just one guy.

im leaning more towards that this is tough love. Pop probably sees a lot of potential in Walker but doesn’t want him getting more minutes JUST BECAUSE. He wants him to EARN IT.

well see if he plays tonight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop dropping truth bombs tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder how compe ive Pop thinks Beli’s 9% 3pt Shooting on 17MPG has been.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im pretty sure Pop has asked Lonnie if he wants to be a great player and if he wants to be treated like one who wants to be great. This is called coaching. Pop holds Lonnie to greater expectations, therefore, Lonnie has got to be accountable for his actions and effort.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn’t like the quote but whatever. Will be interesting to see how Lonnie responds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Non compe ive is bull when he was the one who guarded kawhi the best

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    was he not compe ive or did he not compete?

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Lonnie was really bad. Some flashes of goodness, but overall bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has he asked Lonnie if he thinks he is a better player then Manu yet?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This would hold more water if the old man hasn't been giving out free passes to losers like Patty, Beli, Bryn, Pau, Bonner, etc. for years

If I were Lonnie, I'd ask for a trade and shake PATFO to their core again, this ain't 2003 anymore

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he was so bad and non compe ive then why did Pop assign him to guarding Kawhi in his first stint off the bench?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have to earn minutes with CIA Pop.
    Like this:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/04/denver-nuggets-san-antonio-spurs-game-7-no-foul

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol so what was LA last night? Non existent?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has he asked Lonnie if he thinks he is a better player then Manu yet?
    Yeah, because old, ty Stephen Jackson was killing it in 2013..........

This would hold more water if the old man hasn't been giving out free passes to losers like Patty, Beli, Bryn, Pau, Bonner, etc. for years

If I were Lonnie, I'd ask for a trade and shake PATFO to their core again, this ain't 2003 anymore
    All those guys, including Bryn, were veterans that earned Pop's trust. For better or worse, that is how you gain minutes and earn a spot in the rotation.....

Sucks that Lonnie was called out publicly, but Pop is known to ride hardest the guys (Tony in particular) he sees the most in. The kid needs to not waver and comeback stronger proving the old guy wrong...

Of course, all the crybaby, es with an agenda will use anything Pop says "against him."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

All those guys, including Bryn, were veterans that earned Pop's trust. For better or worse, that is how you gain minutes and earn a spot in the rotation.....

Sucks that Lonnie was called out publicly, but Pop is known to ride hardest the guys (Tony in particular) he sees the most in. The kid needs to not waver and comeback stronger proving the old guy wrong...

Of course, all the crybaby, es with an agenda will use anything Pop says "against him."
    Ah gotcha, so the only thing that matters to Pop is that Patty and Beli hit some big shots 5 years ago.

Bryn really is a Pop sucker success story, dude was penciled in for heavy minutes his 2nd year despite being horrible defensively ("Pop doesn't tolerate bad defense" lmao) and he's even getting more minutes than DWhite.....wouldn't be surprised if they end up choosing Bryn over Derrick too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am worried that Lonnie is going to get tired of Pops shtick and begin zoning him out.
    The difference between Tony and Lonnie is the fact that Tony was not only starting but playing heavy minutes as well. Its easier to take all the yelling and criticism when you know that Pop has given you an opportunity to lead this team by playing you a lot of minutes. At that point it was up to Tony to respond and he did by playing well.

Lonnie on the other hand has played only a handful of minutes as a Spur and he's a 2nd year player. He is not in the rotation and when he does get an opportunity he ends up playing timid, too scared to make a mistake. So he ends up making more mistakes and of course Pop pulls him right away.

This is where it is very helpful to have Timmy there. I'm sure Duncan heard the comments. It would be reassuring for Lonnie to hear that Pop is just trying to get the best out of him because he sees HUGE potential in him.

We'll see how much Walker plays tonight.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pop on pop:”he knows what he is doin, hes the best coach right now”

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop on Pop: “Patty & Marco will play 40 minutes a game. I can’t be fired.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he didn't believe in him, he wouldn't call him out in front of the media. Definitely tough love.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Murray got the keys in his second year ... Tony was a starter very early in his career ... Kawhi started within half of a season ... not comparable to what Lonnie is going through. And why? perhaps he is neither Murray, Tony or Kawhi like ... i.e. good

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From the little time that Walker was out there i thought he seemed compe ive but maybe a little lost. To me he looked almost too aggressive on defense, like he wanted to fight the other team lol getting in faces and putting his body right against the people he was defending giving them the type of look that says "i'm going to you up".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray got the keys in his second year ... Tony was a starter very early in his career ... Kawhi started within half of a season ... not comparable to what Lonnie is going through. And why? perhaps he is neither Murray, Tony or Kawhi like ... i.e. good
    When Tony started, we had no legit PG, only Daniels who is more of a combo. When Kawhi finally started late in his rookie year, he supplanted the roundly hated and totally passive RJ. They NEEDED to be rushed and force fed. We have other 6'4"-6'5" guards on the team, both killing it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie looked lost. Hit the side of the backboard. No awareness of the team concept. He looks great athletically and effort wise but also doesn't look like he is knows how to play on a team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am worried that Lonnie is going to get tired of Pops shtick and begin zoning him out.
    The difference between Tony and Lonnie is the fact that Tony was not only starting but playing heavy minutes as well. Its easier to take all the yelling and criticism when you know that Pop has given you an opportunity to lead this team by playing you a lot of minutes. At that point it was up to Tony to respond and he did by playing well.

Lonnie on the other hand has played only a handful of minutes as a Spur and he's a 2nd year player. He is not in the rotation and when he does get an opportunity he ends up playing timid, too scared to make a mistake. So he ends up making more mistakes and of course Pop pulls him right away.

This is where it is very helpful to have Timmy there. I'm sure Duncan heard the comments. It would be reassuring for Lonnie to hear that Pop is just trying to get the best out of him because he sees HUGE potential in him.

We'll see how much Walker plays tonight.
    Why? Bc Kawhi wanted out? One guy wants to be traded and now Pop can't command any respect from young players even though everything else about his track record says otherwise. Pop is trying to light a fire under his ass bc he wants Lonnie to go out there and look like a ball player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You're comparing veterans to a work in progress. Those guys are who they are--Walker is still in the "classroom" so to speak. Pop is expecting Walker to eventually make it easy for him to bench guys like Mills/Belinelli however Walker hasn't shown he is ready to make that leap--If he doesn't "get it" soon he may never and definitely not on this team.

Thread Information