Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol at those ing about this trade. The alternative was DeMar walking for nothing…

The fact that we found a team willing to give us a future first round pick for him is big. Thad Young is a serviceable wing on an expiring contract who could be worth an asset at the trade deadline. Spurs also got rid of a guy who was holding back our young players from developing.

Now we can properly tank next season while letting our young guys take their lumps and bruises and learning in the process.

This is a W for this organization that has been taking nothing but L’s lately.
    Last edited by BatManu20; 08-03-2021 at 03:44 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs don't take on any long - term bad contracts and get multiple picks, yet the trade is "bad." They can still re-route one or both, add them in a trade or buy them out.

I see there is gonna be a lot of ing & moaning even through a rebuild.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If ATL is already up to $25M/yr, they will match a $30M offer sheet.
    I dont know man, don't they also have to give Huerter an extension? He's probably eying that Duncan Robinson $$.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs make a Presti type deal and ST hates it

If John Collins is a no go and re-signing with Hawks then this is a very decent deal tbh. Thad Young is a very good player and they might be able to flip him to a contender for something. Aminu is beyond , wouldn't surprise me if he's waived.

Still wonder about that Zach Collins deal though, that was awkward, hopefully a good portion of it is unguaranteed. Can't image he's had any leverage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still lots of different ways this can play out. What is known, is that the spurs are down to give Lonnie a real to prove himself this year. People should not assume this is a tank as it's very possible this team will improve over last year. They can also still make more moves to open up room this year but this gives them flexibility to push cap space off a year which isn't bad either.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can the Spurs simply waive Young and Aminu to make an offer to Collins or Lauri? Can they be used as trade now or do the Spurs have to wait till the trade deadline?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll take it tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yours 2021/2022 Spurs:
    Dejounte Murray/Tre Jones/Josh Primo
    Derrick White/Lonnie Walker
    Keldon Johnson/Devin Vassell/Joe Wieskamp
    Doug McDermott/Al-Farouq Aminu/Luka Samanic
    Jakob Poeltl/Thaddeus Young/Zach Collins/Drew Eubanks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yours 2021/2022 Spurs:
    Dejounte Murray/Tre Jones/Josh Primo
    Derrick White/Lonnie Walker
    Keldon Johnson/Devin Vassell/Joe Wieskamp
    Doug McDermott/Al-Farouq Aminu/Luka Samanic
    Jakob Poeltl/Thaddeus Young/Zach Collins/Drew Eubanks

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard disagree tbh.

Bulls will probably be halfway decent the next year, maybe two but theres a good chance they'll be by 2025.

More importantly, there's a much better chance that Brian Wrong is fired by 2025 and Pop is in a retirement home by then meaning they might actually have a competent FO drafting by then
    Probably find out later that 2025 pick is top 20 protected.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs don't take on any long - term bad contracts and get multiple picks, yet the trade is "bad." They can still re-route one or both, add them in a trade or buy them out.

I see there is gonna be a lot of ing & moaning even through a rebuild.
    It’s mostly the schizo that lives on this board and cries for attention

must be a ton of passwords to remember

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All money is guaranteed

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs will play the lottery again next year with a lot of the young guys getting heavy minutes this year. Should have started this process two years ago.
    agree, but better later than never

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol at those ing about this trade. The alternative was DeMar walking for nothing…

The fact that we found a team willing to give us a future first round pick for him is big. Thad Young is a serviceable wing on an expiring contract who could be worth an asset at the trade deadline. Spurs also got rid of a guy who was holding back our young players from developing.

Now we can properly tank next season while letting our young guys take their lumps and bruises and learning in the process.

This is a W for this organization that has been taking nothing but L’s lately.
    i thik people would have been willing to let demar walk away for nothing if that gave us the cap space to get collins (in which case, its not nothing). would you rather have john collins locked up for 4 years, or would you rather have Aminu, Young, and a protected late first round pick?

of course, collins wasn't a given, but doesnt even look like we took a shot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Next years Draft is looking top-4 heavy as of now but those top 3 could be franchise changers. Would love nothing more than the Spurs to get a top pick next season.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    McDermott now Young AND Aminu. Three 4's plus Collins who when/if healthy can play 4 and 5. Big FU to Luka Samanic smh. Like the McDermott signing but I don't like this trade although I guess it makes sense getting the first. I'd rather us cut one of them though. We go youth at every other position and then trade for a 33 and 30 year old.
    The crappy Collins isn't ever gonna suit up

He makes Porzingis look like an iron man...and we're paying him $22 mil for the pleasure of sitting at home for the next three years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this deal means the Spurs didn't want Markkanen.

That was smart if it was the case. This deal gives them much more flexibility as well as future picks.

Between Markannen, Collins and DeRozan, I'd take a chance on the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love this trade. I suggested Thad & Satoransky for DDR months ago, but getting three picks is fantastic. Thad had a great season last year and was better than Markkanen in every way except for 3pt%. He's a very underrated player and a great vet presence. First move of the summer that I support 100%.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [Duplicate]

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice to have depression off the team.

Thaddeus young doesnt suck like some of the emo posters think. He had his most efficient year last year. He just quit shooting threes altogether and out of nowhere his assists balloon to iver 4 a game showing a new facet to his game.

He was also in the top 35 in the league in per. He isn't dead weight. Not at all.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Young is partially guaranteed at 6M. If they waive and stretch him, by my count, they can still cobble together the money for a Lauri offer if they want that.

I also think both these players, especially Young, are VERY tradeable later this year. Like if the Spurs wanted to do a Wiggins + asset deal with Warriors later these 2 pretty much get you there. , they could even form part of a Collins sign and trade assuming Collins hasnt narrowed difference with Atlanta already.
    Young is fully guaranteed now. The NBA closed the loophole

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs make a Presti type deal and ST hates it

If John Collins is a no go and re-signing with Hawks then this is a very decent deal tbh. Thad Young is a very good player and they might be able to flip him to a contender for something. Aminu is beyond , wouldn't surprise me if he's waived.

Still wonder about that Zach Collins deal though, that was awkward, hopefully a good portion of it is unguaranteed. Can't image he's had any leverage.
    Presti would have turned $50 mil in cap room into MULTIPLE 1sts. The fact that our dumbass FO wasted half that cap on two ty whites boys is what stings. The crappy Collins won't ever be healthy and McNugget is a 30 year old shooter that can't play defense. They aren't worth the combined $21 mil. Especially if it means signing them took away any flexibility to make a John Collins offer. And that 1st from the Bulls will probably be protected.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now we have everything we need for a major trade:
    an asset White or Murray, wouldn't want to give up Keldon, too valuable. Teams wouldn't want Vassel or Lonnie, unless he explodes this year
    Expiring salary filler
    Draft picks

It's a pipe dream, but who can be acquired? Simmons, Tobias, Sabonis, Siakam?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't love this usage of max level cap space ... but I'm somewhat happy, all things considered.

-Did not want DeRozan back

-I didn't want Lauri after getting McDermott. That's too much bad defense

-A first round pick from the Bulls? Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. (As long as the protections are reasonable. Preferably only top 3/4 protected)

-Thad Young is quietly really damn good. Can't shoot so he's an iffy fit but he's actually good. The Spurs should be able to flip him for an asset at some point before the trade deadline.

-Aminu is a broken down nothing but he shouldn't get in the way

-The Spurs didn't have a second round pick in 2022 so getting a couple is nice

-No more DeRozan! Or Mills! (Sorry, Patty, but it done been time.)

Big-picture, I don't love using future cap space on McDermott but assuming Zollins has unguaranteed second and third seasons, I'm happy-ish.

On the spectrum of how good or bad this offseason could have gone, this is definitely closer to the good than the bad.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This deal is total garbage UNLESS Collins and his agent told SA straight up that he wasn't signing with them no matter what.

The opportunity to get Collins is worth much more than the Bulls deal.

And how is it that so many on this thread didn't instantly understand that this deal means the Spurs have no caproom left? Brian Wright must be on this board after all

Thread Information