Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The last time Jakob wasn’t in the starting line up we lost by 31 points to the Memphis grizzlies

we were dominated on the glass last night in large part thanks to unique match ups at the point guard, power forward, and center positions. Jakob was often out of the paint as a result of Tingus Pingus’ ability to spread the floor. Maxi Kleber was able to clean up the offensive glass with no big present with 4 offensive boards. Zinger was also able to use his length to grab a few rebounds that we are used to seeing Jakob get.

you can cry about Jak’s offense but when 2 of your shot creators in Dejounte and Derrick White shoot a combined 6-23 from the floor, it’s gonna be really hard for a big to do much of anything unless you have a Jokic or Embiid who can iso and initiate offense.

the obvious fix was add size at the 3 and 4 to battle with the bigger wings and forwards of the mavs. The adjustment was not made and we got burned with Rudy at the 5 and small line ups.

Not his best performance- but if you watched that game and your instinct was to bump this thread and wallow in your own smooth brain , you are not just a dumb basketball watcher. You are a dumb person.

B-b-but Jakob no offense!! miss FTs!!! No 10 points!1!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You get called out when he has a good game? When bruh? The only one (I at least) called out is my guy Spurraider, but only due to our playful banter on Drummond

Anyways, Poeltl was far from the main reason we lost last night, I don't know what posters expect (actually, I do; jack ) when the rest of the team lays a big fat egg on the court. Funny Poeltl's signing thread gets bumped, but not White's... Wonder why, tbh
    Yeah I had like 3 people call me out. It's somewhere earlier in this thread. You will just see people @ me

It's a fun message board for sure. Derrick White is starting to scare me which is why in the fantasy minutes thread Dejounte made my response had us trading him to the Hawks. Not bc I don't like Derrick, but the dude just seems always hurt/out one way or another

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I had like 3 people call me out. It's somewhere earlier in this thread. You will just see people @ me

It's a fun message board for sure. Derrick White is starting to scare me which is why in the fantasy minutes thread Dejounte made my response had us trading him to the Hawks. Not bc I don't like Derrick, but the dude just seems always hurt/out one way or another
    Lol, I'll keep an eye out for it in the future. And definitely a fun board, except for the trolls and people who don't watch games but somehow know every single move the Spurs should always make - and they're always right! Never fails to make me laugh.

White is worrying me as well, tbh. I just don't know if he'll ever be able to live up to his contract, both production-wise playing next to other ball-hogging players, and health-wise. There's a chance he doesn't have these issues in the future, like Curry's ankle issues early in his career, but also a chance that he struggles with nagging injuries throughout his career, and never plays a full season, for the Spurs or elsewhere. I'm nowhere close to wanting to trade him yet, but worried, for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He went 2-2 on FT what more do you want.
    3-2 ... A FT that is so beautiful, they give him 2 points for it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The last time Jakob wasn’t in the starting line up we lost by 31 points to the Memphis grizzlies

we were dominated on the glass last night in large part thanks to unique match ups at the point guard, power forward, and center positions. Jakob was often out of the paint as a result of Tingus Pingus’ ability to spread the floor. Maxi Kleber was able to clean up the offensive glass with no big present with 4 offensive boards. Zinger was also able to use his length to grab a few rebounds that we are used to seeing Jakob get.

you can cry about Jak’s offense but when 2 of your shot creators in Dejounte and Derrick White shoot a combined 6-23 from the floor, it’s gonna be really hard for a big to do much of anything unless you have a Jokic or Embiid who can iso and initiate offense.

the obvious fix was add size at the 3 and 4 to battle with the bigger wings and forwards of the mavs. The adjustment was not made and we got burned with Rudy at the 5 and small line ups.

Not his best performance- but if you watched that game and your instinct was to bump this thread and wallow in your own smooth brain , you are not just a dumb basketball watcher. You are a dumb person.
    This game cried for either White or Keldon to come off the bench and start either Lyles or Luka. I was really looking forward to see how well Luka could hang with KP. I would have liked to see him matched up with the other Luka as well. There were way too many times Keldon was trying to match up with Zing and it was a joke.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3-2 ... A FT that is so beautiful, they give him 2 points for it.
    His second one was nothing but net. Does that count for 2?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Poetl is a very good C coming off the bench but just a decent starter C?

His game peaks when he plays great D and finishes ok into the paint but this just happens in some games. To me, there is no doubt he can help the team, but the question is: how often does Jakob play well? 1/3 games? 1/2? 2/5? And how many minutes can he stay on the court avoiding foul trouble?

Consistency is the key. You need consistency from your starters (in terms of minutes) if you want to build up any kind of winning basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Poetl is a very good C coming off the bench but just a decent starter C?

His game peaks when he plays great D and finishes ok into the paint but this just happens in some games. To me, there is no doubt he can help the team, but the question is: how often does Jakob play well? 1/3 games? 1/2? 2/5? And how many minutes can he stay on the court avoiding foul trouble?

Consistency is the key. You need consistency from your starters (in terms of minutes) if you want to build up any kind of winning basketball.
    Careful bro when you point this out to people they counter by saying he was always a great defender and he is always consistent
    Dude is a back up center that will give you 20 good games a season and make people believe he is a legit starter

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Careful bro when you point this out to people they counter by saying he was always a great defender and he is always consistent
    Dude is a back up center that will give you 20 good games a season and make people believe he is a legit starter
    or just maybe not every team can have an all-star center in their line-up, and having a decent starter C is actually an acceptable solution?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    or just maybe not every team can have an all-star center in their line-up, and having a decent starter C is actually an acceptable solution?
    Yeah, theoretically you can build the same or better lineup with someone like Poeltl than an offensive hub center like Vucevic. Read somewhere that the center is the only position that someone making 9 mil can have the same impact as a 30 mil player. Recent championship teams have proven this claim. You don't want your 30 mil player to be unplayable or ineffective in some playoff matchups and schemes. You want the ability to play big or small while maintaining the talent on the floor. As much money playing as possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, theoretically you can build the same or better lineup with someone like Poeltl than an offensive hub center like Vucevic. Read somewhere that the center is the only position that someone making 9 mil can have the same impact as a 30 mil player. Recent championship teams have proven this claim. You don't want your 30 mil player to be unplayable or ineffective in some playoff matchups and schemes. You want the ability to play big or small while maintaining the talent on the floor. As much money playing as possible.
    That's one way to look at it.

If a large chunk of cap space is taken by your max contract C, you're gonna be weak somewhere else. People don't really think past "good player good" and "bad player bad" and ignore all the nuances of roster construction.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's one way to look at it.

If a large chunk of cap space is taken by your max contract C, you're gonna be weak somewhere else. People don't really think past "good player good" and "bad player bad" and ignore all the nuances of roster construction.
    The advanced stats are so good for Poeltl that there is no way anyone can say that this contract isn't an excellent value for the Spurs. Hopefully one or two of our young guys break out to the point that they are worth a max deal. Having such a value contract at center makes it much easier to have that happen and be able to keep your other supporting cast members.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The advanced stats are so good for Poeltl that there is no way anyone can say that this contract isn't an excellent value for the Spurs. Hopefully one or two of our young guys break out to the point that they are worth a max deal. Having such a value contract at center makes it much easier to have that happen and be able to keep your other supporting cast members.
    Aside from Timmy D, I've always found it more fun to watch star guards or wings in the NBA. I'm glad the Spurs are going that route and find one/ develop one on their roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not really about him starting, it's about the rotation. Spurs could just sign a 3-point shooting big like Daniel Theis and the rotation would be good. You just need someone who can give you more spacing out there if the team struggles to score. A 3-point shooting big off the bench would do that for you

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not really about him starting, it's about the rotation. Spurs could just sign a 3-point shooting big like Daniel Theis and the rotation would be good. You just need someone who can give you more spacing out there if the team struggles to score. A 3-point shooting big off the bench would do that for you
    If you have multiple capable shooters you can get away with an inside big on offense. Derrick being a threat off the bounce is huge because outside of Patty no one on this team is comfortable pulling up from 3 off a high screen and roll. In the starting line up some nights it looks like Derrick white is your only comfortable 3 point shooter at all.

A shooting big can mitigate that in the short term, but the long term ceiling of this team will be contingent on Keldon and Dejounte developing a consistent stroke to the point of being above average. We need reliable shooting in the backcourt and wings before we start talking about a center being the problem, IMO.

Pop wants to use Gay at the 5 at times when teams fall into zone but they routinely get killed in the paint defensively. Lyles is too slow and doesn’t understand rim protection. So short of a player like Kelly O coming back in a trade- I like using Luka situationally at the 5 like we’ve seen in gleague.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you have multiple capable shooters you can get away with an inside big on offense. Derrick being a threat off the bounce is huge because outside of Patty no one on this team is comfortable pulling up from 3 off a high screen and roll. In the starting line up some nights it looks like Derrick white is your only comfortable 3 point shooter at all.

A shooting big can mitigate that in the short term, but the long term ceiling of this team will be contingent on Keldon and Dejounte developing a consistent stroke to the point of being above average. We need reliable shooting in the backcourt and wings before we start talking about a center being the problem, IMO.

Pop wants to use Gay at the 5 at times when teams fall into zone but they routinely get killed in the paint defensively. Lyles is too slow and doesn’t understand rim protection. So short of a player like Kelly O coming back in a trade- I like using Luka situationally at the 5 like we’ve seen in gleague.
    Don’t sleep on Devin being a spacer. He shoots 40% from outside the arc, and shoots more attempts per 36 than DJ or Keldon.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s not just hitting the 3 point shots Poodle can’t any shot - Mid range or Free Throws and there called “FREE” For a reason Lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s not just hitting the 3 point shots Poodle can’t any shot - Mid range or Free Throws and there called “FREE” For a reason Lol.
    Free throw discourse regarding a guy who has increased his percentage since the beginning of the year and shoots like 1 a game- lovely.

anything else?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His little pop a shot is pretty money, too. It’s suits him, since it’s shot with only one hand, no guide hand, and he seems to gravitate towards that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His little pop a shot is pretty money, too. It’s suits him, since it’s shot with only one hand, no guide hand, and he seems to gravitate towards that.
    6 assists last night and some nice passes out of the high post and on the low block for easy baskets

there’s more to life than shooting the basketball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6 assists last night and some nice passes out of the high post and on the low block for easy baskets

there’s more to life than shooting the basketball
    There’s certainly more to offense. He creates shots for other players in three ways: directly, via pick; indirectly, via roll gravity; directly, via pass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s certainly more to offense. He creates shots for other players in three ways: directly, via pick; indirectly, via roll gravity; directly, via pass.
    And people really tell me that he can't be compared to Rudy Gobert

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still have no idea if poetl is any good or not, but advanced defensive stats are basically . They mean nothing. You can’t make judgments off them like you can with advanced offensive stats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still have no idea if poetl is any good or not, but advanced defensive stats are basically . They mean nothing. You can’t make judgments off them like you can with advanced offensive stats.
    Bull .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve been a huge Jak hater but the way he is playing now is pretty impressive. He just needs to start dunking on ppl. Learn a dribble bounce, drop step move. He is a beast of a body down low. Bully the opponents and draw contact. Will Perdue was more forceful in the paint.

Thread Information