Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was looking at Tankathon again to see who had what second-rounders, and I saw that they project the 60th pick to be used on Paul Eboua. Dude's a 6-8 PF with a 7-2 wingspan a good athleticism. He has like no skills though. He uses a push-shot form, which isn't consistent. If the main guys we seem to want in the second are gone, I wouldn't mind using the pick for a flier on a guy with a physical profile to be a good defender. I don't think the production is there right now, and his age is concerning. But he seems like a guy who could easily go under the radar, and his rebounding is already an NBA-caliber skill.
    Based on your description, this is a guy you wait to see if he goes undrafted, and try to get him to sign a 2 way contract with you gleague team. If we were picking in our usual last three spots in the round, I might entertain drafting him, but 41 is way too high for a physical profile.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was looking at Tankathon again to see who had what second-rounders, and I saw that they project the 60th pick to be used on Paul Eboua. Dude's a 6-8 PF with a 7-2 wingspan a good athleticism. He has like no skills though. He uses a push-shot form, which isn't consistent. If the main guys we seem to want in the second are gone, I wouldn't mind using the pick for a flier on a guy with a physical profile to be a good defender. I don't think the production is there right now, and his age is concerning. But he seems like a guy who could easily go under the radar, and his rebounding is already an NBA-caliber skill.
    Based on your description, this is a guy you wait to see if he goes undrafted, and try to get him to sign a 2 way contract with you gleague team. If we were picking in our usual last three spots in the round, I might entertain drafting him, but 41 is way too high for a physical profile.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree 41 is high for a pure flier. But it's also a bit low for an elite draft-and-stash prospect. Eboua isn't American. I don't think the prospect of playing in the d-league is going to get him to come over. I also don't know that a two-way spot is going to be available with Quinn and 41. He's not close to my top target in the second round, and it would definitely make more sense to draft him if the team acquires a later second. But it would also be nice to get the draft-and-stash coffers filled again. It's a bad strategy in the first round, but there's nothing wrong with get rights to as many guys as possible and being able to choose the ones who develop. The balance is that the team won't get those guys for peanuts anymore.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree 41 is high for a pure flier. But it's also a bit low for an elite draft-and-stash prospect. Eboua isn't American. I don't think the prospect of playing in the d-league is going to get him to come over. I also don't know that a two-way spot is going to be available with Quinn and 41. He's not close to my top target in the second round, and it would definitely make more sense to draft him if the team acquires a later second. But it would also be nice to get the draft-and-stash coffers filled again. It's a bad strategy in the first round, but there's nothing wrong with get rights to as many guys as possible and being able to choose the ones who develop. The balance is that the team won't get those guys for peanuts anymore.

It would be nice to have a guy with length, who defends and pulls down rebounds, just for situational use. He sounds like a guy you would love to spend some time with Chip in the summers. I would be good if the Spurs had a relationship with his team, to try and make sure he develops. It would be even better to get him in Austin. Working is one thing - working on the right things is another. I found this article on him. https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2020/...video-analysis One of the clips shows him doing a good job boxing on a rebound (which some of the current SA players could learn from). He's not totally awkward with the ball or anything, but there's one clip that shows him dribbling into the paint that made me laugh because it reminded me of Danny Green.

6'8", athletic, and a willing defender? And I bet he's never had a real shooting coach. I can see why you'd throw a late second rounder at him as a stash.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be nice to have a guy with length, who defends and pulls down rebounds, just for situational use. He sounds like a guy you would love to spend some time with Chip in the summers. I would be good if the Spurs had a relationship with his team, to try and make sure he develops. It would be even better to get him in Austin. Working is one thing - working on the right things is another. I found this article on him. https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2020/...video-analysis One of the clips shows him doing a good job boxing on a rebound (which some of the current SA players could learn from). He's not totally awkward with the ball or anything, but there's one clip that shows him dribbling into the paint that made me laugh because it reminded me of Danny Green.

6'8", athletic, and a willing defender? And I bet he's never had a real shooting coach. I can see why you'd throw a late second rounder at him as a stash.
    I’d be willing if we could buy one of Philly’s late second rounders (they have four total 2nds), but not at 41.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Kira Lewis will be a steal at where he is being projected, he reminds me of deaaron fox. I also think Tyrell Terry is gonna be an effective player. I think both have the potential to end up as top 10 best players from this draft.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    idk why but i have a feeling that smb from a 2nd round in this draft will be an all star

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the guys I forgot about was Kaleb Wesson. Big, strong guy who can shoot the 3 and rip down rebounds. Decent defender, and forces his way to the FT line a LOT. He came to college somewhere around 300 lbs. but he trimmed down to 255 and got a lot more mobile. I like him better than any backup big the Spurs had on the roster this year. I think he's a guy who could get legit NBA minutes, who will be on the board when they make their second pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say use the 41 on someone with all of the tools who maybe just needs to develop his shot. If you can find the size, speed and work ethic, I'd take someone who's a bit raw at that spot. As others have said, picking that high doesn't have to translate into a long-term project.

My guess is that there will be some sleepers who fall. It was an especially tough year to scout with no games going on this spring. I'll be really curious to see how we'll use that pick. Definitely a chance for a steal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This draft is weak on the top but I'm pretty impressed by the depth. Last count I had about 45 players I'd be happy with at 41.

My guesses: Xavier Tillman, Tyler Bey, Paul Reed, Woodard II, Killian Tillie
    Yeah, all five of those are names that stand out to me as potential Spurs picks, tbh. Good call.

You might also be able to catch an interesting yet flawed prospect in freefall like Josh Green, Isaiah Stewart or Theo Maledon like they did with DeJuan Blair.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tyler Bey, Paul Reed, Desmond Bane, Jordan Nwora, Kenyon Martin Jr

would be super stoked if the spurs selected one of these guys. Think they are underrated and will be sleeper picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jay Scrubb - similar prospect to Lonny Walker

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prime - Check out a YouTube video “ 4 Sleepers in 2020” by Sub Me In Coach - I think anyone looking at sleeps or steals will enjoy it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with the folks who said that this draft is some what deep. I think we should be able to get 2 quality players pretty easily if the front office doesn’t overstate some of these guys upside.

i think it’s going to be a lot of solid rotation level players in this draft. It’s not strong on sure fire star players and that’s why the media is down playing it so much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prime - Check out a YouTube video “ 4 Sleepers in 2020” by Sub Me In Coach - I think anyone looking at sleeps or steals will enjoy it.

He's got some good picks on the video. I already said I like Riller and I'd like to have an extra second round pick that's early enough to take him. And we talked about Kira Lewis' speed up above.

Desmond Bane can shoot the out of the long ball. If he didn't have those T-Rex arms he'd be getting a lot more attention. But he does have T-Rex arms, and a slow release. He's probably going to get swallowed up by NBA defenders, and his limited reach is def not an asset on defense.

Xavier Tillman is just the opposite. He has long arms for his height, but he can't shoot for . I don't think he's enough of anything to make it in the NBA. He's not an NBA 3, and he doesn't have the springs to overcome his height at the 4. I wouldn't be surprised if someone puts him on a 2-way. He would be one of those guys you pull for, but I don't think he'll ever get a lot of minutes outside the G-League.

Still, any one of those guys could carve out a niche with the right team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jay Scrubb - similar prospect to Lonny Walker
    I think the Spurs have looked at him for sure. According to this article, he has worked out in San Antonio.
    https://www.wdrb.com/sports/bozich-j...ff5da1537.html
    Will be interested to see how he performs and measures out at the combine. He could turn a lot of heads.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There has been a lot of buzz on Scrubb that I've seen

His dad is giving me some serious Uncle Dennis vibe though judging from that article. Scary

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There has been a lot of buzz on Scrubb that I've seen

His dad is giving me some serious Uncle Dennis vibe though judging from that article. Scary
    I don’t remember Uncle D shamelessly pimping Kawhi in the media. Definitely a Ball family vibe, though.

The reality is that they’re blowing his chance by being impatient. He should have gone to Louisville for a season. White followed a far longer, weirder path to the NBA, and snuck into the First round. I can tell you that his dad isn’t helping matters. Ball vibe without Ball talent = undrafted. No team wants that kind of drama for a long shot development project.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d love Tyler Bey but I think he’ll be gone by the time of our second pick. I get a Shawn Marion vibe with him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.bab hoops.com/post/pr...uts-jay-scrubb

Great read on Jay Scrubb and scouting as a profession from the ground floor. Has the complete offensive toolkit but struggles “mightily” defensively. I believe he has as much upside as any guard in the draft.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder what his comment about he “must get stronger and learn how to play” means? I guess from the article he has skills but questions on his basketball IQ and will probably need a year or two of solid G League playing time in order to break bad habits and rebuild him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.bab hoops.com/post/pr...uts-jay-scrubb

Great read on Jay Scrubb and scouting as a profession from the ground floor. Has the complete offensive toolkit but struggles “mightily” defensively. I believe he has as much upside as any guard in the draft.

I'm convinced that there are players out there who could have played NBA ball, but never got the opportunity for one reason or another. Say what you want about Jonathon Simmons, he was good enough to get two NBA teams to pay him a bunch of money. BUT... Simmons played for a D-1 college, and then did two years in the D-League.

I don't know anything at all about Scrubb, except that he has some red flags. He got an offer to come play for Louisville, which was a perfect opportunity to play D-1 ball, and he committed. Then he thanked them by changing his mind and entering the draft. That article confirmed what I had heard - that he couldn't qualify academically for a D-1 school, which is why he was at a junior college. That's okay... high school kids do dumb things, and some outgrow it. But it makes him pretty much a poster boy for someone who should have taken that offer from Louisville, and proved himself. And it sounds like his dad is heavily involved in his decisions, which reminds me too much of Uncle whether it's true or not.

Now he's got an agent, and is fully committed to the draft. I hope he makes it, just because it would be a great story. But I wouldn't even throw 41 at him, without a clear understanding with him and his agent that he's going to spend the first year in Austin. There's miles of desert between shooting 46% from 3P against junior college defenders and playing both ends of the court in the NBA. Plus, he's got the worst basketball name in history.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the guys I forgot about was Kaleb Wesson. Big, strong guy who can shoot the 3 and rip down rebounds. Decent defender, and forces his way to the FT line a LOT. He came to college somewhere around 300 lbs. but he trimmed down to 255 and got a lot more mobile. I like him better than any backup big the Spurs had on the roster this year. I think he's a guy who could get legit NBA minutes, who will be on the board when they make their second pick.
    I agree. The fact that there was little to no reply on this post indicates he is a real sleeper, but could be one of those guys who sees 20 mpg plus in about 3 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't know anything at all about Scrubb, except that he has some red flags. He got an offer to come play for Louisville, which was a perfect opportunity to play D-1 ball, and he committed. Then he thanked them by changing his mind and entering the draft. That article confirmed what I had heard - that he couldn't qualify academically for a D-1 school, which is why he was at a junior college. That's okay... high school kids do dumb things, and some outgrow it. But it makes him pretty much a poster boy for someone who should have taken that offer from Louisville, and proved himself. And it sounds like his dad is heavily involved in his decisions, which reminds me too much of Uncle whether it's true or not.

Now he's got an agent, and is fully committed to the draft. I hope he makes it, just because it would be a great story. But I wouldn't even throw 41 at him, without a clear understanding with him and his agent that he's going to spend the first year in Austin. There's miles of desert between shooting 46% from 3P against junior college defenders and playing both ends of the court in the NBA. Plus, he's got the worst basketball name in history.
    Think you make some excellent points.

The Louisville decision is an interesting one, although perhaps not as cut and dried as it appears.
    https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...on/5112962002/

Some of the other the items mentioned in this article sound terrifying, such as ‘he’s not going to the NBA to be in the D-League’ via his dad etc.

However, this was written in April, the kid has just turned 20 and has potential to be ‘special’ from a position that is arguably the most saturated in the NBA (the 2 - 3)? I feel that definitely warrants further investigation and have no doubt the Spurs will do just that.

FWIW, I am by no means hitching my wagon or obsessed with Jay as a prospect. Thought it was an interesting read and discussion though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah another player that caught my eye is Elijah Hughes a SF 6’6 who definitely has some skills will have to dig a little deeper.

As far as some other guys late or not drafted I like:

1. Paul Eboua - PF 6’8 Wing 7’2 - Raw athlete
    2. Tres Tinkle - SF 6’8 - Nice outside shooter
    3. C.J Ellebry - SG 6’6 - Another outside sweet shooter
    4. Malcom Cazalon - SG 6’6 - Great Hops has some upside (FRANCE)
    5. Emmitt Williams - PF 6’6 Wing 6’11. A Blue Collar Worker definitely a hard worker glue kind of guy

Thread Information