Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Spurs are not trying the DeMarre Carroll experiment again with Saddiq Bey. Players like Bey who have mediocre movement and agility will not be useful in the NBA. You could have length to offset that, but Bey doesn't. You could have shot blocking ability to offset that, but Bey doesnt. Bey will be a wasted pick.
    Check out the play at 3:18. He has zero burst, zero dribbling ability to get past his man, so he hopelessly takes a stupid shot over his defender and misses badly. Terrible, just terrible.

He has no ability to create ANY space. its ugly basketball.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 11-17-2020 at 12:20 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You asked before for examples of what makes Nesmith different from Bey

This video shows some examples.

Nesmith has a jab step and fakes leading to losing his defender

Saddiq exhibits NONE of these

Aaron also has the IQ to move around screens and lose his man
    Bey is literally a standstill shooter who has to be at one spot for several seconds before shooting the ball

Just way, way different level of skill

The Truth #6

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You asked before for examples of what makes Nesmith different from Bey

This video shows some examples.

Nesmith has a jab step and fakes leading to losing his defender

Saddiq exhibits NONE of these

Aaron also has the IQ to move around screens and lose his man
    Bey is literally a standstill shooter who has to be at one spot for several seconds before shooting the ball

Just way, way different level of skill

The Truth #6
    I get it. Nesmith is sort of like Dale Ellis. Great at moving around screens and shooting off sets, among other shooting skills. One of the drawbacks, for example, is his horrible assist rate. I think he had 13 assists for the entire season this year. That's a concern for me with Nesmith.

Honestly, I think they are both very limited. I am not advocating for Saddiq Bey; I am merely trying to predict the Spurs FO mindset and who we may end up with.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get it. Nesmith is sort of like Dale Ellis. Great at moving around screens and shooting off sets, among other shooting skills. One of the drawbacks, for example, is his horrible assist rate. I think he had 13 assists for the entire season this year. That's a concern for me with Nesmith.

Honestly, I think they are both very limited. I am not advocating for Saddiq Bey; I am merely trying to predict the Spurs FO mindset and who we may end up with.
    Define how you are trying to predict the Spurs FO mindset

If you're going purely by team needs, i think youre going about it all wrong

The same way no one would have predicted drafting White after drafting Murray

If youre going by rumors, well, these guys are almost always wrong

If youre going by RC visiting the prospect personally, I say you would have a solid case since we have a track record of drafting players he usually sees with his own eyes

But anything other than that, it is extremely hard to guess what the Spurs are thinking

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

But anything other than that, it is extremely hard to guess what the Spurs are thinking
    I just hope they are thinking..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Define how you are trying to predict the Spurs FO mindset

If you're going purely by team needs, i think youre going about it all wrong

The same way no one would have predicted drafting White after drafting Murray

If youre going by rumors, well, these guys are almost always wrong

If youre going by RC visiting the prospect personally, I say you would have a solid case since we have a track record of drafting players he usually sees with his own eyes

Obviously, it's hard to predict the Spurs. That's why we are all guessing. You write this as if you have some greater insight into the matter.

By team needs: You imply that going after a multi-skilled combo forward is not in the team's needs? I would say the opposite. I would say that is actually logical, which is why I believe in their interest in Patrick Williams and Saddiq Bey. We don't have any players close to that other than Luka and he is still a mystery. Keldon fits this to a degree, but isn't someone who can play the 4 consistently. Yes, any trades they have already worked out changes the calculus, but I'm guessing like anyone else.

And what would you say the team's needs are? Let's be honest, the team isn't very good and needs help in many areas. Drafting a guard shouldn't be their first priority (despite me personally thinking Maxey will be a good player).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously, it's hard to predict the Spurs. That's why we are all guessing. You write this as if you have some greater insight into the matter.

By team needs: You imply that going after a multi-skilled combo forward is not in the team's needs? I would say the opposite. I would say that is actually logical, which is why I believe in their interest in Patrick Williams and Saddiq Bey. We don't have any players close to that other than Luka and he is still a mystery. Keldon fits this to a degree, but isn't someone who can play the 4 consistently. Yes, any trades they have already worked out changes the calculus, but I'm guessing like anyone else.

And what would you say the team's needs are? Let's be honest, the team isn't very good and needs help in many areas. Drafting a guard shouldn't be their first priority (despite me personally thinking Maxey will be a good player).
    I wasn't saying combo forwards weren't a team need, I was saying the manner of which the Spurs construct their roster isn't based on team needs. Thinking the Spurs are going to draft Williams or Bey because it's a team need isn't at all how the Spurs operate, as per the example i gave with Derrick White and DJ.

I personally feel the team need is a big, but I'm not going to impose that on the Spurs by thinking that's how the Spurs would operate.

My insight is that it is better not to think you know than saying you think you know (regarding team mindset)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wasn't saying combo forwards weren't a team need, I was saying the manner of which the Spurs construct their roster isn't based on team needs. Thinking the Spurs are going to draft Williams or Bey because it's a team need isn't at all how the Spurs operate, as per the example i gave with Derrick White and DJ.

I personally feel the team need is a big, but I'm not going to impose that on the Spurs by thinking that's how the Spurs would operate.

My insight is that it is better not to think you know than saying you think you know (regarding team mindset)
    Fair enough. They are unpredictable for sure. I do think they have some sort of logic that is motivating their decisions, but we on the outside are just not privy to that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fair enough. They are unpredictable for sure. I do think they have some sort of logic that is motivating their decisions, but we on the outside are just not privy to that.
    Yeah and it's especially important to know that the Spurs think years ahead and not just the current draft. They could very well realize holes in the roster and be confident they can fill it via free agency or next year's draft class. Just sooo many ways to address things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draft Bolmaro tbqh

Thread Information