Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So im getting super serious about getting back into shape. want to lose 30 pounds and ill be in great shape again. But my question is protien shakes. everyone at the gym swears by them. Is it a good idea to add this to your workout prior or after to help recovery? or is it all a myth?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    this thread needs to be stickied.

i don't do any of those crazy ass hippie diets and routines. just old fashioned weight training with a focus on over training. i stick with about 3-4 lifts with at least 7 sets of high reps. i also try to completely exhaust the muscle before i get into my sets.

i been on my mike rashid lately.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    So im getting super serious about getting back into shape. want to lose 30 pounds and ill be in great shape again. But my question is protien shakes. everyone at the gym swears by them. Is it a good idea to add this to your workout prior or after to help recovery? or is it all a myth?
    why don't you just eat foods with plenty of protein instead?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    they're good pre/post workout to help keep all those gains you make, pleighboi. if your diet is high in protein already, i'd suggest 2-3 protein shakes throughout the day...50g of protein each. i drink 1 for a snack around 10am along with some fruit and another around 4pm for an afternoon snack. if i haven't hit all my protein macros by dinner, i'll have another shake.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Myth? No, but it is the biggest exaggeration in the fitness world. A shake is a portable meal which can be built to have your perfect macro split. It's a convenience, not a big muscle building/recovery trick. It is a tool to achieve a proper diet which will help in those regards.

Drink away of it fits your macros, it they do not then you aren't missing out on anything more than convenience.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    why don't you just eat foods with plenty of protein instead?
    thats why i was asking if it was a myth. im wondering if then natural you get from samon or eggwhites or lean meat is better or if whey protein is broken down differently. Its hard to argue with someone thats in way better shape than you are telling you to do it lol like trill ha!

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    A post workout shake is good for recovery...but a high protein diet is what you need overall. Grilled chicken, fish, eggs, etc.

I really tightened down when I started running my cardio in the middle of my heavy routine. I do six-seven stations on training days. I'll do the heaviest lifts first then 30-45 minutes of cardio, then the last three afterwards. I train a total of 4 days a week, but I only mix the cardio/heavy weight on 3 of those. Day 4 is a straight weight day. It sucks lifting after good hard cardio but if you can push through it works. Remember, working out is a mind game. You can do more than you think you can and it comes down to a decision not to quit.

And at me recommending Crossfit originally in this thread. Don't get near that bull unless you want to get injured. I said that before I researched it closely and knew any better. I heard of several people I know blowing out knees and shoulders.

Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    My latest thing has been standing overhead military presses. That suuuucks but it will make you strong as in the shoulders, lower back and core.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Army Black Knights
    My latest thing has been standing overhead military presses. That suuuucks but it will make you strong as in the shoulders, lower back and core.
    but very weak in the raising daughter dept.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    yup one of the GOAT excersises. try doing them behind the head too.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    A post workout shake is good for recovery...but a high protein diet is what you need overall. Grilled chicken, fish, eggs, etc.

I really tightened down when I started running my cardio in the middle of my heavy routine. I do six-seven stations on training days. I'll do the heaviest lifts first then 30-45 minutes of cardio, then the last three afterwards. I train a total of 4 days a week, but I only mix the cardio/heavy weight on 3 of those. Day 4 is a straight weight day. It sucks lifting after good hard cardio but if you can push through it works. Remember, working out is a mind game. You can do more than you think you can and it comes down to a decision not to quit.

And at me recommending Crossfit originally in this thread. Don't get near that bull unless you want to get injured. I said that before I researched it closely and knew any better. I heard of several people I know blowing out knees and shoulders.
    i just joined crossfit and my shoulders are super super sore still. this was monday lol

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Shakes/supplements are good for convenience but that's about it. For maximum nutrition/health find the natural foods that have the nutrition you need and eat them. Any processing destroys some of the nutrition, plus these shakes/supplements aren't regulated so you can never be sure exactly what your getting. I've tried a number of shakes over the years and all they ever did was make me have to .

Main thing is stick with it like RaZon said...that's the hardest part.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    i just joined crossfit and my shoulders are super super sore still. this was monday lol
    My wife has been doing crossfit for about 2 years and she has made tremendous gains. Endurance wise she kicks my ass now. Just remember some crossfit instructors have no clue what they are doing and will push you to do things that will get you hurt...don't listen to them. My wife likes it because of the group atmosphere whereas I'm just the opposite. All I want is my ipod and to be left alone when I'm working out.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I saw this thread pop up and read through it. Some feedback would be appreciated

24 years old here and I have chronic mid-lower back pain due to various reasons. I go for physio but it feels like these glorified massage therapists actually try to re your progress to make more off you. I have been thinking about increasing my overall body strength to help my back and shoulders out.

Should I consider lifting at all? Is that 5x5 program stretch or blackswords recommended any good?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I saw this thread pop up and read through it. Some feedback would be appreciated

24 years old here and I have chronic mid-lower back pain due to various reasons. I go for physio but it feels like these glorified massage therapists actually try to re your progress to make more off you. I have been thinking about increasing my overall body strength to help my back and shoulders out.

Should I consider lifting at all? Is that 5x5 program stretch or blackswords recommended any good?
    May help to be specific abiut the "various reasons" - my brother has back issues, but regular exercise (usually cycling), an inversion table and a stretching regimen keeps him limber and free of pain.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    May help to be specific abiut the "various reasons" - my brother has back issues, but regular exercise (usually cycling), an inversion table and a stretching regimen keeps him limber and free of pain.
    It just flared up when I was sitting in class one day. I can only speculate on the reasons being a combination of not using proper form when lifting things at work (Not working anymore), going without any exercise, tight and weak back muscles, being borderline overweight (No longer at that apex either), and extremely bad posture (Trying to fix this)

I started taking physio soon after I discovered that sitting in a 3 hour exam is much worse than the exam itself. I pretty much have trouble sitting in most chairs (unless it's a nice ergonomic one with back support) but can tolerate it. The physio and the stretches recommended is starting to loosen my back and it helps me correct my posture faster because I notice it earlier.

I feel like there are surely some things I can be doing in addition to physio to speed up my recovery and also prevent any relapse.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    It just flared up when I was sitting in class one day. I can only speculate on the reasons being a combination of not using proper form when lifting things at work (Not working anymore), going without any exercise, tight and weak back muscles, being borderline overweight (No longer at that apex either), and extremely bad posture (Trying to fix this)

I started taking physio soon after I discovered that sitting in a 3 hour exam is much worse than the exam itself. I pretty much have trouble sitting in most chairs (unless it's a nice ergonomic one with back support) but can tolerate it. The physio and the stretches recommended is starting to loosen my back and it helps me correct my posture faster because I notice it earlier.

I feel like there are surely some things I can be doing in addition to physio to speed up my recovery and also prevent any relapse.
    Have you tried a foam back roller?

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Stretch Stretch Stretch...especially hamstrings
    Then focus on form and don't try to go heavy
    Then stretch some more.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    this thread needs to be stickied.

i don't do any of those crazy ass hippie diets and routines. just old fashioned weight training with a focus on over training. i stick with about 3-4 lifts with at least 7 sets of high reps. i also try to completely exhaust the muscle before i get into my sets.

i been on my mike rashid lately.
    Your larger muscles(chest, etc) will respond better to lower reps with higher weight IMO, and your higher reps(10 to 12) should be limited to your smaller muscles(biceps, etc)..

You should also be careful with over training, I wouldn't do it for all my workouts, tbh..

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Whey/protein is just an aid in getting more protein for your diet..it's convenient and generally necessary, tbh..

It isn't some magic supplement that will increase your muscle growth, it's just a dietary aid, and it's definitely worth having..it isn't easy to get all your daily protein from whole foods, you need the protein macros IMO..

If your goal is to lose 30 pounds, just figure out your maintenance calories and subtract by 10-20%( http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm ) + get a multivitamin..learn about macros by researching a little, but everybody's body responds differently to specific macros..just make sure to get at least 1G of protein per your body weight..

That's all you need for basic weight lifting/getting in shape if you're new to the game IMO..if you decide to fully commit, you should learn about supplements, nutrient timing, glycemic levels, confusing your muscles, etc..

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    but very weak in the raising daughter dept.
    thats telling em

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    Your larger muscles(chest, etc) will respond better to lower reps with higher weight IMO, and your higher reps(10 to 12) should be limited to your smaller muscles(biceps, etc)..

You should also be careful with over training, I wouldn't do it for all my workouts, tbh..
    i overtrain on my chest, back and shoulders. my body responds better to high volume workouts. this is an example of what my chest workouts look like

back

Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    His bench is similar to what I do but mine is a more structured pyramid(I refer to it as the heavy ladder). I will warm up with 10-12 reps at 135, then 8 reps at 185 and 8 reps at 205. Then I move to the heaviest part of the ladder where I do five sets...8 at 265, 6 at 285, 4 at 305, 6 at 275 then 8 at 255 or 265, depending on my fatigue level. Sometimes I one rep at 325 at the top before coming back down. On my opposite chest day I will replace the last chest set with a burnout at 225.
    Last edited by benefactor; 04-04-2014 at 07:54 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    hey I forgot about this topic.

Took a break from lifting for awhile but been back on it. Got my deadlift to 445lb. Working sets of squats now at 305lbs. Bench up to 225. Went for a 500lb deadlift the other day but they won't let me use chalk in the Rec center at UTSA so I could only get that like two inches off the ground before it slipped from my grip. I'll get that soon though

Thread Information