Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Demar's inability to shoot is why he couldn't switch onto Morant. Ja would just leave him and let Brooks recover back. His game would open up so much if he wasn't such a coward from beyond the arc. He's the highest paid player on the team. It's on him to maximize his game and make everyone around him better.
    No, it's not. It's on the team, players and coaches to make the best scheme possible. The Spurs built a roster with very few shooters and then decided to start as many of the non-shooters as possible. Then to make matters worse, Pop ran a scheme that deemphasized the three. This was obvious during the bubble, but folks didn't want to hear it. The Spurs don't run a sustainable offense, and while DeRozan is part of the problem, having guys play like poor man's versions of him is the bigger part.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This, sadly the guy that is closest to untouchable is injured all the time, which drops his value.
    yep. white is a solid bench floor general who can start in a pinch ... but yeah his trade value is much less than his actual value because he has cinderella feet

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs could of literally traded derozan for an expiring ,and a first just to go the fck away. I hope a sign and trade can bring atleast that back

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    give vassell tre and lil luka another year

i don't know what it is, but i have a good feeling about vassell
    Still way too early obviously, but I feel Vassell isn't all that great of a prospect. Reminds me of Lonnie: flashes potential but just doesn't have the mentality to put it together.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    smh..not everyone is Curry or Klay. Both guys are special.
    Beside's these two's and harden, every other all-start relies on the midrange with a bit of 3s.
    For Murray, Walker, Johnson ita learning game, i fully expect them to add it into next years. With Derozan, it either mental or not in his game, he has the 3 pt shot but doesn't use it.
    Heck even only Kobe shot only 33% from 3, Lebron's at 34.5 for his carrer, Durant and Leonard both are the only once's over 38%

All our young guys need, is confident and to slow the game down. Just trust and let it go.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Swapping out a guy who barely shoots threes and is even more reluctant to shoot them off the catch for a traditional three-and-D guy would also go a long way to solve the problem. Did you not read where I mentioned that DMDR is part of the issue? DeRozan is a very good offensive engine. He shouldn't be playing off ball so guys like Murray and Johnson can drive very often. Obviously he needs to shoot better, and if he won't it wouldn't be the worst thing if he moves on. But the issue with the offense is that basically none of the starters shoot threes as a first instinct. They all want to dribble and try to get creative driving to the rim. That's bad. Getting a designated shooter would help, but it wouldn't help nearly as much if possessions are still ending with guys driving into the teeth of the defense and taking bad shots.
    You said he is not "close to being the only part". I think he is very close to being the only part, because he doesn't just not catch and shoot 3's, he doesn't catch and shoot period. Passing the ball to demar derozan doesn't really do anything for any player on our team. It doesn't generate an assist cause he won't shoot it. It doesn't generate spacing because the guy guarding...doesn't actually guard him until he starts going to the rim. Most of the time it doesn't even set up another player to score because Derozan likes to pound the ball for a bit before making a decision. I think the spurs offense will get substantially better by doing nothing than replacing one guy who doesn't catch and shoot period with someone who does because that one thing completely changes the trajectory of the floor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still way too early obviously, but I feel Vassell isn't all that great of a prospect. Reminds me of Lonnie: flashes potential but just doesn't have the mentality to put it together.
    he's got one side of the ball figured out (defense). that puts him light years ahead of lonnie

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GS has a double digit lead against a LeBron lead team going 10/23 on 3pts in the first half alone ... Against the Grizz, the Spurs went 8/22 for the whole game!!!! ... Where have i seen a team beat a LeBron James team into submission before outside GS ... I KNOW, THE SPURS IN 2014 YOU JACKASS COACH!!!!

WHEN YOU WERE SITTING ON THAT BENCH AFTER GAME 5, RUBBING YOUR BALD STINKING HEAD, YOU MUST OF THOUGHT, "WOW, I'M GLAD THAT NIGHTMARE OF SHOOTING THAT GIMMICKY 3PT SHOT IS OVER!!"

IT'S TIME HOLTS!!!! POP DOESN'T OWN THIS TEAM, YOU DO!!! GET NEW PEOPLE IN HERE THAT WILL TEACH WINNING BASKETBALL IN TODAY'S NBA, AND GET EXECUTIVES THAT WILL GET THE RIGHT PLAYERS AS WELL!!! GET THAT SENILE OLD MAN, DEROZEN, GAY, AND PATTY THE OUT OF HERE!!!!

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    This, sadly the guy that is closest to untouchable is injured all the time, which drops his value.
    That's the problem with late picks, there's going to be some caveats when you're not picking in the lottery. White is more talented than most of the players picked above him but he's injury prone and a late bloomer(aka old). Murray's offensive game resembles a point guard from 2002. Lonnie has the athleticism/shooting but none of the bball IQ or killer instinct. If you want youngsters with less flaws, you gotta pick in the top 5/top 10.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't be opposed to trading everyone in the SL myself tbh. No one on this roster is untouchable.
    That's too hasty for me. But they should look at the way the roster and especially the SL is constructed and realize it has to change. One of Murray/White, Walker or a guy who can do what Lonnie can do but consistently, Johnson or a legit three-and-D wing, defensive four who can shoot and Poeltl. The absolute best the team can hope for is that two of Walker, Johnson or Vassell can rise to the occasion of being plus starters while they find a real PF. Honestly, the Spurs should look to sign or otherwise acquire a starting wing and a starting PF with their cap space and not have to rely on so many guys getting better. Heck do that and then try to trade for other pieces like a second starting wing or a sixth man. I don't think they should "give up" on anyone, but they need to establish a real baseline for what their starting unit is going to be talent-wise, and that talent needs to fit together in a way that allows for spacing and movement. If guys haven't improved or can't fit in, they need to be benched.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol dejounte gets 10 points on 17 fgas, 0-3 from 3
    lol lonnie gets 8 points on 8 fgas, 0-3 from 3

demar gets 20 points on 21 fgas (0 3s)
    morant gets 20 points on 20 fgas

and all the hate is focused on demar

face it. evidence is mounting that lonnie may not be an nba player
    After 4 quarters of Demar and to a lesser extent DJ taking turns stink it up.. getting rid of lonnie is the best you could come up with?. Wtf are ypu watching.. lonnie hardly played the second half.hahaha

You got to be kidding me .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After 4 quarters of Demar and to a lesser extent DJ taking turns stink it up.. getting rid of lonnie is the best you could come up with?. Wtf are ypu watching.. lonnie hardly played the second half.hahaha

You got to be kidding me .
    don't get me wrong -- trade demar or let him walk. trade dejounte if you can. CUT lonnie

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You said he is not "close to being the only part". I think he is very close to being the only part.
    He's not. The Spurs' starters shot .254 threes per minute tonight. That's about one third of the average for an NBA team. That's not acceptable, and it's not just DeRozan who's responsible for it. DeRozan shouldn't be spotting up very much. He should be on the ball, because he's actually really good at it. The other guys aren't very good off the ball, but the difference is that they aren't very good with the ball either. That's a huge problem. If it were DeRozan and four shooters, you'd see a much more balanced offense. Instead it's DeRozan trying to space for guys so they can be poor imitations of him.

The Spurs would get better by replacing the guys who can't spot up for DeRozan with guys who'd actually be able to take better advantage of DMDR's strengths. Replacing DeRozan would probably add threes, but it would lose other offensive efficiency since none of the other players are very good engines, and they'd have the same problems spotting up for each other as they do for DeMar.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could we get pick #5 or 6 for Dejounte or Lonnie and #11?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could we get pick #5 or 6 for Lonnie and #11?
    Nah. Could probably get like Marvin Bagley though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Id tell him to shoot himself, but hed miss.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In general, I think people need to stop clinging to the idea that it's just the vets holding the young guys back. They aren't that good. That's it. Stop making excuses for them. We can all hope the young players improve, but that can't be part of the plan to ignore outside talent. The Spurs need to fall out of love with their players and look at everyone with objective eyes.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeRozan’s failures in the playoffs and in big games have all to do with his mental toughness. When teams play him physical, he typically crumbles under the pressure. Aldridge and DeRozan have never had the Spurs DNA and will be glad when their chapter is officially over.

Also, I’m still pretty amped on our young players and their is still considerable room for growth for all of them. Trust the process.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    don't get me wrong -- trade demar or let him walk. trade dejounte if you can. CUT lonnie
    Lonnie at 22 still has alot of upside.

This game showed he needs experience as a starter in this sort of playoffs atmosphere. Too often he was happy to stand and watch on offense. On D the silly fouls on shooters got him benched. Agaim 22yo mistakes that spurs can live with for now.

Demar for example , kept it up with isolation plays and was again lazy on defense. But coach kept on playing him. Thats why the focus.

At his age there aint no excuses

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team/organization has no direction I think the fans and the players have no idea what Pop and the Front Office wants

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In general, I think people need to stop clinging to the idea that it's just the vets holding the young guys back. They aren't that good. That's it. Stop making excuses for them. We can all hope the young players improve, but that can't be part of the plan to ignore outside talent. The Spurs need to fall out of love with their players and look at everyone with objective eyes.
    There's some truth here, but we also need to discuss this coaching staff's inability to develop players as of late. We're seeing guys leave and go play better elsewhere. That's coaching.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs could of literally traded derozan for an expiring ,and a first just to go the fck away. I hope a sign and trade can bring atleast that back
    What team makes that deal? Nobody trades for a sunken asset without at least getting rid of a ty contract themselves

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I started a thread about that but everyone here is convinced that all the young guys will be all stars
    Lonnie has upside! He’s a pussy and a mental midget but he is still young! Murray can’t shoot 3s but hey he has a midrange game now! KJ is our starter for the future! He reminds me of Kawhi. Blah blah blah Poeltl is DPOY and better than Gobert.
    The problem is that we have a buncha bench players as starters and our one legit starter is injured all the time

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our Allstar!

2004-2005 NBA Champions Barfunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yo, Demar has been a good guy. No need to go at him personally.

He's just not that dude. Not many people are.
    This. Who the would want to play here if they see how all the ing fans on the forum turn on them when everything is not going great.

Thread Information